Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The role of tape in golf club grips

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RomeoTango

RomeoTango

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85823
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

I'm thinking I may try to blow my new Mizuno grips off, add a layer or two of tape to increase size just a bit and blow them back on. Might be ambitious for a first timer. I've measured my hand size and a couple of online charts cite a + 1/32". Standard are ok, but maybe a tad bit small and the midsize feel a bit large. Might not even be worth trouble.

My question is this: What function does grip tape perform aside from adding customizable thickness? I've read where masking tape is a popular alternative to double-sided grip tape. Does that mean that the double-sided is unecessary? Or is the tape supposed to stick to both the shaft and the grip to hold it in place? What about the blowing on and off of grips? Where does sticky (or not) tape come into play (or not)?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hogan234

hogan234

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34358
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

View PostRomeoTango, on 08 August 2010 - 09:11 PM, said:

I'm thinking I may try to blow my new Mizuno grips off, add a layer or two of tape to increase size just a bit and blow them back on. Might be ambitious for a first timer. I've measured my hand size and a couple of online charts cite a + 1/32". Standard are ok, but maybe a tad bit small and the midsize feel a bit large. Might not even be worth trouble.

My question is this: What function does grip tape perform aside from adding customizable thickness? I've read where masking tape is a popular alternative to double-sided grip tape. Does that mean that the double-sided is unecessary? Or is the tape supposed to stick to both the shaft and the grip to hold it in place? What about the blowing on and off of grips? Where does sticky (or not) tape come into play (or not)?

The masking tape is to add thickness, but not an alternative to the 2 sided tape for grip installation. The 2 sided tape adheres the grip to the shaft.
Wishon 919THI 11*
TM Burner T3 14.5*
PRGR 200i 17*, Cobra Baffler 22*
Cleveland TA5 4-PW
Ping Eye 2 W, SW
Kingston KP1

#3 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

The glue plus solvent allows for the grip to be slid on the shaft.  Air will work much easier, and as long as the grip isn't stretched, it won't slip.  I blow off stock grips, and blow on new grips right over the original grip tape.

#4 lask

lask

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 931
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

In traditional installation, 2 sided tape is used to help slip the grip on, so much so that it is taken into the equation when measuring grip size. There is enough friction between bare shaft and grip to hold it on for event the fastest swings, especially wich the greater friction from the increased side of the but by the added buildup tape. You should be fine blowing the grips off, adding making tape and then blowing the grips back on.

#5 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 705

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

View Postlask, on 08 August 2010 - 09:33 PM, said:

In traditional installation, 2 sided tape is used to help slip the grip on, so much so that it is taken into the equation when measuring grip size. There is enough friction between bare shaft and grip to hold it on for event the fastest swings, especially wich the greater friction from the increased side of the but by the added buildup tape. You should be fine blowing the grips off, adding making tape and then blowing the grips back on.

There are two sides to this discussion.  One side believes that you can put grips on without using tape (or 2-sided tape) and the the friction of the grip and the shaft will hold the grip on.  The other side believes that some sort of adhesive (2-way tape) is needed to keep the grip in place.  Believe what you will, but all I can tell you after 30 years in the business is that you need something more than just the friction of the grip against the shaft especially if you are installing a grip with a rib in it.

If this is your first attempt at blowing off grips, you might want to have a replacement set of grips nearby just in case you blow a few up.

As stated, the grip sizing is calculated with one layer of tape being used.

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#6 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

I tried blowing on grips with up to 4 wraps of masking tape and no 2 sided tape many times. They slipped and moved every time. Some people on here kept trying to tell me I was doing it incorrectly because their's never slipped, but I can guarantee that isn't the case. I went back to using 2 sided tape.

#7 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

That's too bad, I've never had a problem.

#8 lask

lask

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 931

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

There are some grips that are more prone to stretch then others when blown on, such as Tour velvets. Firmer grips, i've never heard of stretching. With the extra tape underneath stretching should not be a problem.

#9 fly47

fly47

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72948

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I use masking tape on all my regripping...no problem with slipping grips.

#10 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:14 AM

Grips stay on the shaft because the inner diameter of the grip is smaller than the outer diameter of the shaft. If this basic requirement isn't met, the grip will slip no matter if you have double sided tape or not.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

So if you can blow on and off without tape, is there anything to stop me from using some type of lubricant to slide a tapeless grip on and not have it slip later on?
Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#12 mxtitleistgolfer

mxtitleistgolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27377
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

View PostRJRJRJ, on 09 August 2010 - 01:54 AM, said:

So if you can blow on and off without tape, is there anything to stop me from using some type of lubricant to slide a tapeless grip on and not have it slip later on?

You can use a lubricant, but make sure it is something that will evaporate. Otherwise you may encounter some slippage. Mineral spirits or lighter fluid are pretty easy to get ahold of and work fairly decently.

#13 Joeyw3704

Joeyw3704

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64000

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Never tried to blow grips on I never try to inprove something if there is no faults in what im doing.  I thought about it but why ?  I'm sure someone has a good reason for it. But not me.

#14 Joeyw3704

Joeyw3704

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64000

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Never tried to blow grips on I never try to inprove on something if there is no faults.  thought about it but why  I'm sure someone has a good reason for it. But not me.

Edited by Joeyw3704, 09 August 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#15 Gachnar

Gachnar

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80902
  • Ebay ID:gachnar1138
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Biggest advantage of blowing them on/off with masking take is that it makes it much easier to switch grips around or save grips.  With one wrap of masking tape I've had grips twist maybe 1/4 inch on the back end over 50 or 60 rounds, and that's on clubs that I hit down hard with (wedges) and I have a firmer than usual grip.  So yes, it's possible for them to twist, but pretty unlikely and certainly not something that has ever affected a shot for me.

#16 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

I blow them on to masking tape or bare shafts, because I like to experiment a lot.

I do notice some slipping in the butt section of the grip sometimes, they will get a bit torqued sideways but can easily be rotated back to center. I am going to assume that this is grip dependent since some people report no slippage and others claim that it does happen. I know that it happens for me with MCC's. Once I have a club dialed exactly how I want it, ( length, SW, tipping, etc.) I will normally go ahead and add the double sided tape so I don't have any issues with the grip twisting on me.

#17 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

View Postmxtitleistgolfer, on 09 August 2010 - 11:40 AM, said:

View PostRJRJRJ, on 09 August 2010 - 01:54 AM, said:

You can use a lubricant, but make sure it is something that will evaporate. Otherwise you may encounter some slippage. Mineral spirits or lighter fluid are pretty easy to get ahold of and work fairly decently.

Ive got some grip solvent that seems to evaporate completely (at least thats what I assume is happening to it).  So would you concur that it would be possible for me to just slide a grip on without any tape by using only solvent as a lubricant?  It sounds a heck of a lot easier that removing/applying tape, and I dont think id mind the slightly smaller tapeless size either.
Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#18 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

I've never tried it, but the tape's glue makes the lubricant, not the solvent.  I'm using Winn XI7 midsize grips, and they will never slip!  They are tough to get on though but I can regrip my whole set in about 15 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors