Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Adding loft open or close face?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gatorfan

gatorfan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108800
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Just like the title says. I want to bend a hybrid, if i add loft will the face open or close. I have heard mixed answers about this so i want to double check.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 522

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the face open or close if you change the loft?  This isn't like an adjustable driver, where the hosel and shaft are non-concentric.  Weakening the loft will give you slightly less offset....strengthening the loft will give more...1 degree may not be noticeable thought.

Good luck bending!
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#3 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 3,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postgatorfan, on 07 August 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

Just like the title says. I want to bend a hybrid, if i add loft will the face open or close. I have heard mixed answers about this so i want to double check.

Bending a wood/hybrid open decreases loft, bending it closed will increase loft.  

Plenty of discussions on it if you want to waste a few hours watching people argue about it though :).
Callaway BB Alpha 10.5* Zeta Tour 60s
Callaway BB 15* Zeta 70s
Adams Super LS 22* Kuro Kage 80s
Callaway Apex 4-PW PX 6.0
MD2 52/56/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

#4 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,320 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

View Post78Staff, on 07 August 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

Bending a wood/hybrid open decreases loft, bending it closed will increase loft.  

Plenty of discussions on it if you want to waste a few hours watching people argue about it though :).

not disagreeing with you, but I read the question as what happens to the face angle if he weakens the loft.  The face does not have to bend open or closed if done properly.  Now, if he's intentionally trying to change the face angle (open or closed), that's a  different story....and you are correct.
WITB Link

#5 BigLeftyinAZ

BigLeftyinAZ

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8850
  • Ebay ID:clnconcpts
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

View Postchickenpotpie, on 07 August 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

not disagreeing with you, but I read the question as what happens to the face angle if he weakens the loft.  The face does not have to bend open or closed if done properly.  Now, if he's intentionally trying to change the face angle (open or closed), that's a  different story....and you are correct.
Maybe he doesn't know that some hybrids with long hosels the loft can be adjusted without messing with face angle?Long hosel hybrids loft can be adusted just like irons.

#6 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 3,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

View PostBigLeftyinAZ, on 07 August 2010 - 10:45 PM, said:

View Postchickenpotpie, on 07 August 2010 - 08:47 PM, said:

Maybe he doesn't know that some hybrids with long hosels the loft can be adjusted without messing with face angle?Long hosel hybrids loft can be adusted just like irons.

OP mentioned wanting open face in another thread...
Callaway BB Alpha 10.5* Zeta Tour 60s
Callaway BB 15* Zeta 70s
Adams Super LS 22* Kuro Kage 80s
Callaway Apex 4-PW PX 6.0
MD2 52/56/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

#7 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

The reason people are answering differently is because they are answering different questions.

1. Simply adding loft does not affect face angle at all.

2. A 10.5* driver with a 2* open face has an effective loft of ~ 9.3*. That's becuase when the face is squared at impact, the closing of the face decreases the loft. That's why you see tour guys with 10.5* drivers. Their face angle is probably 2-3* open.

3. Changing the face angle may affect the effective loft, but not vice versa.

#8 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,320 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

View Postmac94, on 08 August 2010 - 07:54 AM, said:

The reason people are answering differently is because they are answering different questions.

2. A 10.5* driver with a 2* open face has an effective loft of ~ 9.3*. That's becuase when the face is squared at impact, the closing of the face decreases the loft. That's why you see tour guys with 10.5* drivers. Their face angle is probably 2-3* open.

Exactly.
WITB Link

#9 GolfPunk69

GolfPunk69

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37165
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

View Postchickenpotpie, on 08 August 2010 - 12:15 PM, said:

View Postmac94, on 08 August 2010 - 07:54 AM, said:

Exactly.

Through bending a club, how are you going to change the loft on a driver, and not change the face angle?

If you put the same bend as you would an iron (on a vertical plane perpendicular to the club face) you're changing the face angle, not the loft (but you are changing the effective loft). Without getting the grinder out, how do you change the loft of a driver, and not the face angle?

GP

GP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors