Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping K15 vs Ping G15 --- differences?

49 replies to this topic

#1 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Lovin and lovin my G15.  Long and straight.  Does anyone know the difference between the K & G15's?  Looks like Ping has another winner on their hands.  Did I say how much I love my G15.  :D    Anyone been lucky enough to hit one yet?

Taylormade R11S 9* F6M2 x
Taylormade SLDR 460 TP 14* TS 6.3 X
Taylormade RBZ Stg 2 Tour 18.5, Peanut24
Taylormade TP MC 5-PW Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Preferred 50, 54, 58
Taylormade Rossa Maranello 34

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1670

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

I haven't hit one yet but I know our shop is getting them.  I heard the K15 is basically replacing the G15 Draw and is weighted to draw.
915D2 (8.5) - Black DI-8
915F (16.5) - Rombax P95
712U (4), AP2 (5-PW) - KBS Tour V
Vokey (50, 55, 60) - DG Tour Issue
Cameron GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#3 sTmGolfer

sTmGolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82144
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

View PostDizz, on 04 August 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

I haven't hit one yet but I know our shop is getting them.  I heard the K15 is basically replacing the G15 Draw and is weighted to draw.

Not replacing the G15 draw.  It is meant to replace the Rapture V2 line.  Neutral face with a draw biased weighting.  From what I've heard, it's designed more for higher handicaps and slower swing speeds.  I guess overall ballspeeds with G15 is higher with higher club head speeds.
Driver: PING G25 10.5, Project X 5.5
4 wood: G25 16.5 degree, Fuji Fuel 70-S
Hybrid: G15 20 degree, UST V2-stiff
Irons: G25 4-UW, Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: PING Tour-W 54, Anser 58.
Putter: PING Zing 2 MgBr

#4 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1134

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Ping website no longer has the K15 now and the rapture is gone, so it definitely looks like a replacement.  The odd thing is that from what I know, MSRP will be $299, same as the G15.
Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#5 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13616
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:c10sbg
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

View PostRJRJRJ, on 04 August 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

Ping website no longer has the K15 now and the rapture is gone, so it definitely looks like a replacement.  The odd thing is that from what I know, MSRP will be $299, same as the G15.
The Ping website does have the K15.

It is not intended to replace the g15 draw, altho it is defiately a draw biased driver and fairway wood.  

It is a replacement of the V2.  

Usually I switch Ping clubs every 2nd year, and the new clubs always have been an improvement on forgivability and have ALWAYS added distance......meaning, they have always been an improvement.

I don't see how the K15 even comes close to being an improvement over the V2's, which they replace.  

While the V2's were a GI clubs,  the driver and fairways were highly sought after by scratch golfers and PGA Tour players.  The V2 irons wiere clearly GI clubs, but allot of really good golfers picked them over the G15's as their GI club of choice.  That won't be happening with the K15's.

If you slice the ball with your woods, the K15 is a good choice.  Beyond that, I can't see how it even comes close to an improvement over the V2.  The V2 driver head is a low spinning, high launching head, lower traj than the G15's.  It's still one of the longest drivers out there.  Rpalcing it with a slicer's club is beyond me.  I don't get it.

The price point of the K15 irons is an improvement over the V2's.  I question that it will be a better performing iron.  The ti faces remain, but the tungsten weighting is gone.  So, the K15 becomes a high priced g15, with a ti face.

I am disappointed in the introduction of the K15's as the heir apparent to the V2's.  I don't get what Ping is trying to do here.

Hey man, I'm the dude

#6 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

View Postcollingsom1a, on 13 August 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

It is not intended to replace the g15 draw, altho it is defiately a draw biased driver and fairway wood.  

Usually I switch Ping clubs every 2nd year, and the new clubs always have been an improvement on forgivability and have ALWAYS added distance......meaning, they have always been an improvement.

I don't see how the K15 even comes close to being an improvement over the V2's, which they replace.  

While the V2's were a GI clubs,  the driver and fairways were highly sought after by scratch golfers and PGA Tour players.  The V2 irons wiere clearly GI clubs, but allot of really good golfers picked them over the G15's as their GI club of choice.  That won't be happening with the K15's.

If you slice the ball with your woods, the K15 is a good choice.  Beyond that, I can't see how it even comes close to an improvement over the V2.  The V2 driver head is a low spinning, high launching head, lower traj than the G15's.  It's still one of the longest drivers out there.  Rpalcing it with a slicer's club is beyond me.  I don't get it.

The price point of the K15 irons is an improvement over the V2's.  I question that it will be a better performing iron.  The ti faces remain, but the tungsten weighting is gone.  So, the K15 becomes a high priced g15, with a ti face.

I am disappointed in the introduction of the K15's as the heir apparent to the V2's.  I don't get what Ping is trying to do here.

My understanding is that the price point on the Rapture line was too high, and the thought was to take the super game improvement line (Rapture) and move it to a lower price point.  I've got a Rapture 5 wood but bought it used, would never have paid new retail for it, and I think a lot of people were doing the same thing.

#7 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

I agree that overall this is a head scratcher.

I think the K's replace the V2's only in spot in lineup.

If Ping had concluded that the investment in the high tech material and manufacturing that went into the Raptures wasn't cost effective, I could easily accept that.  

But substituting with the K line just leaves you to wonder where the Ks drop off and the Gs pick up.  Ti iron faces still haven't caught on all that much.  I guess if you are completely bent on distance, the hotter face will help, but the G15s already hit it far.

If I were a Solheim, I would have given the V2 some new paint, call it the V3, lower the price to 349 (assuming that the NRE costs have been recovered), and discontinue the rest of the line.

#8 MB_Viking

MB_Viking

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96613
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

View Postatlanta golfer, on 13 August 2010 - 11:28 AM, said:

My understanding is that the price point on the Rapture line was too high, and the thought was to take the super game improvement line (Rapture) and move it to a lower price point.  I've got a Rapture 5 wood but bought it used, would never have paid new retail for it, and I think a lot of people were doing the same thing.

Ding, ding!  We have a winner!

Let's see, in Canadian dollars:

Driver     $499.99
Irons    $1599.99
Woods  $279.99
Hybrids $249.99

Not many high-handicappers can afford those prices.  In all the years the Rapture line has been out, I only saw one driver and one set of irons on the course.

#9 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

View PostMB_Viking, on 13 August 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

Driver     $499.99
Irons    $1599.99
Woods  $279.99
Hybrids $249.99

Not many high-handicappers can afford those prices.  In all the years the Rapture line has been out, I only saw one driver and one set of irons on the course.
Right on!1
Hey man, I'm the dude

#10 omeletpants

omeletpants

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3300
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

View PostMB_Viking, on 13 August 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

Driver     $499.99
Irons    $1599.99
Woods  $279.99
Hybrids $249.99

Why would you say high handicappers can't afford this equipment? To be honest, the wealthiest members I know have higher handicaps. It's the low handicap players that have significantly less money

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MB_Viking

MB_Viking

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

There is a huge income difference between what you call "members" and the vast majority of the buying public.

Most of the Joe Averages in the world simply won't plunk down $3000.00 to go around and shoot 100.  If there were, I surely would have seen more Raptures than four year-old Callaways and Taylormades (and I see thousands of those).

Maybe that's just in my little corner of the world but I am willing to bet that it isn't.

reason for edit: corrected average score

Edited by MB_Viking, 13 August 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#12 omeletpants

omeletpants

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

View PostMB_Viking, on 13 August 2010 - 05:46 PM, said:

There is a huge income difference between what you call "members" and the vast majority of the buying public.

Most of the Joe Averages in the world simply won't plunk down $3000.00 to go around and shoot 100.  If there were, I surely would have seen more Raptures than four year-old Callaways and Taylormades (and I see thousands of those).

Maybe that's just in my little corner of the world but I am willing to bet that it isn't.

Ok, but you would have been better to phrase it as less avid golfer (those that pursue the game casually) as opposed to higher handicap. The wealthiest people I know are more than 10 hcp players. They have significantly more money than the single digit players I know.

Edited by omeletpants, 13 August 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#13 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

Yeehaw!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

The K line is for maximum game improvement.

It does not use the Rapture name, so is the market can support a higher priced high end line, a V3 will probably emerge.  They are counting on the player looking for only game improvement clubs in the mid to low handicap level to pony up for their luxury priced Anser irons.

The K-15 irons are a cross between G-15 and Rapture V2, with the option to replace 5 and 6 irons with hybrid irons at no additional charge.  They feature the wider sole of the G-15 and the Ti face of the Rapture V2, yet don't feature any W.

The K-15 line of woods and hybrids are a straighter, more forgiving brother of the G-15 line.  The faces are square with weighting designed to square the face at impact, to help those that leave it open.  It is not closed like the G-15 draw, and does not feature any offset.

They only offer one shaft option at retail, the TFC 149D.  The paint scheme is slightly more charcoal than black.

I hit a few drivers on a launch monitor and it produced a slight draw for me, and launched and spun more than the G-15.  It felt as good as the G-15, but looked a little larger at address.  It is definitely confidence inspiring and well suited for the Ultra GI category.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#14 MB_Viking

MB_Viking

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

View Postomeletpants, on 13 August 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

Ok, but you would have been better to phrase it as less avid golfer (those that pursue the game casually) as opposed to higher handicap. The wealthiest people I know are more than 10 hcp players. They have significantly more money than the single digit players I know.

Fair enough!  How about we split it at "higher than average scoring, less avid player" since there are golfers such as myself that score lower than average but don't get out that much?

Also, please don't get me wrong as I live, eat and breathe Ping but the Rapture line was just too expensive for me.

:smilie_ping:

#15 omeletpants

omeletpants

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

View PostMB_Viking, on 13 August 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

View Postomeletpants, on 13 August 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

Fair enough!  How about we split it at "higher than average scoring, less avid player" since there are golfers such as myself that score lower than average but don't get out that much?

Also, please don't get me wrong as I live, eat and breathe Ping but the Rapture line was just too expensive for me.

:smilie_ping:
I will be curious to see reviews on the K15. I have a tendency to push the ball and this might help

#16 redlabel

redlabel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79409
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

Went to a Ping van fitting yesterday to try the G15 and I15. Thought I wanted an i15 but after hitting both ordered the g15 with sorreno 60 stiff shaft.

Hit the K15 but was not impressed with it at all.

#17 Onebulldogs

Onebulldogs

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4727
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Lets say you are a high handicapper and wanted a ultra GI club from Ping.  Ping had two choices: G15 and V2.  Both are very good, but one is MUCH more expensive.  Unless you just wanted to spend more, it would be hard to pay a premium for V2's which, although good, are not a significant upgrade over the G series.

#18 Munich77

Munich77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87287
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

View PostOnebulldogs, on 15 August 2010 - 02:51 PM, said:

Lets say you are a high handicapper and wanted a ultra GI club from Ping.  Ping had two choices: G15 and V2.  Both are very good, but one is MUCH more expensive.  Unless you just wanted to spend more, it would be hard to pay a premium for V2's which, although good, are not a significant upgrade over the G series.

I totally agree.  I am turning into a Ping lover and am a Mid-handicapper. I love the Rapture V2 line - I got a 3 wood thus far and wanted to get a driver.  But I doubt that I would be willing to spend the money it costs on a V2 set.  For me the V2 woods were a bit better than the G15 - the extra 50 bucks was worth it.  Not sure if there is that much difference when it comes to the irons.  I would love to have a complete V2 set - and still might by buying used.  But if I spend $3K on a set of golf clubs I think my wife would divorce me.

#19 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106301
GolfWRX Likes : 1134

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:08 AM

View PostMunich77, on 15 August 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

I totally agree.  I am turning into a Ping lover and am a Mid-handicapper. I love the Rapture V2 line - I got a 3 wood thus far and wanted to get a driver.  But I doubt that I would be willing to spend the money it costs on a V2 set.  For me the V2 woods were a bit better than the G15 - the extra 50 bucks was worth it.  Not sure if there is that much difference when it comes to the irons.  I would love to have a complete V2 set - and still might by buying used.  But if I spend $3K on a set of golf clubs I think my wife would divorce me.

Agree here as well.  I own the v1's only because they were cheaper than both the G15's and the v2's.  If I were buying a current gen set, there is no way if pay the premium for the v2's over the G15's.
Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

#20 matchavez

matchavez

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105858
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Just to weigh in, you may want to look at it another way...  If I were Ping, I'd want 4 different "skill levels" or areas where it makes sense to manufacture.  Maybe the K15 seems like a rapture 3, but by changing the name, they have irons in the Super (K), GI (G), cavity (I), and Blade (S56/Anser).  I can't blame them for wanting to get rid of the "rapture" line as a marketing choice.  They are generally ugly or at least loud when using graphite, and everyone using those things should be using graphite.  It's also lining up everything for future series; they can mark their generations with their numbers, and their "skill" with a letter with those three cavity choices.

Can anyone not imagine a K20, G20, and I20 next summer/fall?  The G10 and prior got ripped for looking like something you put together at your workbench, and the raptures were bright.  For those that care about looks, this was a big deal.  I personally could not care at all; I'd swing safety orange if it was right for me.  But I also now know where I fit on the "club tree", and I'm even more comfortable now.  My dad needs the Ks.  I'm good with the Gs.  Maybe I'll mix a PW and UW I15 sometime in the future.  In the meantime, PING adds clarity.

K's are the best SGI clubs, and they're most expensive because they use multimetal, etc.  If I'm working at Golfsmith, this makes my life easier.  That's what it's all about.

Titleist 913D3 8.5, Fd 13.5, Hd 18, 23
Diamana D+White 72/82/92/102x
Apex Pro 5i-A, Recoil 110 F5 Proto
Miura 53, Cally MD2 58.10u, PX 6.0
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C
Bridgestone B-330, Leupold GX-3i

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

View PostRJRJRJ, on 16 August 2010 - 03:08 AM, said:

Agree here as well.  I own the v1's only because they were cheaper than both the G15's and the v2's.  If I were buying a current gen set, there is no way if pay the premium for the v2's over the G15's.
right now, you can buy a set of V2's on eBay for less than you can buy a new set of G15's.  That's a no brainer.

Edited by collingsom1a, 17 August 2010 - 10:46 AM.

Hey man, I'm the dude

#22 TaylorGreen

TaylorGreen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21599
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

I was just at my local GG tonight and they had the K15's being taken out of the box.  I picked one up and it was pretty fugly.  I love my Rapture V2 and G15 but this is a one closed-face monstrosity.   PING may be eliminating their Rapture line but the K woods bear no resemblance to the classic looks of the V2 Rapture offerings.  I guess these will sell to a certain market segment but the shape of the head (TM Superfast clone) and the 6 degrees (OK, slight sarcasm) closed face is not a great combination for me.  Just my two cents on this very unusual offering from PING.
Taylormade SLDR w/ Matrix Red Tie
Callaway X2 Hot w/ Aldila Tour Blue
NIKE Covert 1.0 5 wood w/ Fujikura Blur
NIKE Covert Forged (4-W) w/ RIP 115
NIKE Pro Forged 50, 56(DS), 60 (TS)
Taylormade Spider Blade 12 CB

#23 matchavez

matchavez

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105858
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

V2's are going to go on discount now, too.

View Postcollingsom1a, on 17 August 2010 - 10:45 AM, said:

View PostRJRJRJ, on 16 August 2010 - 03:08 AM, said:

right now, you can buy a set of V2's on eBay for less than you can buy a new set of G15's.  That's a no brainer.

Titleist 913D3 8.5, Fd 13.5, Hd 18, 23
Diamana D+White 72/82/92/102x
Apex Pro 5i-A, Recoil 110 F5 Proto
Miura 53, Cally MD2 58.10u, PX 6.0
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C
Bridgestone B-330, Leupold GX-3i

#24 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1282103837' post='2646359']

[quote name='collingsom1a' timestamp='1282059925' post='2644756']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1281946100' post='2641616']
[quote name='Munich77' timestamp='1281903955' post='2639921']
[quote name='Onebulldogs' timestamp='1281901902' post='2639855']
[quote name='MB_Viking' timestamp='1281739562' post='2637166']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I've been a HUGE Ping backer for years.  I always got the new clubs every two years becasue they honestly improved my driver distance, iron accuracy and even iron distance. Plus, I am very supportive of Ping being a USA club maker, which can't be said for any of the other clubs being made.  

I gravitated from the G's to the V's, the latest from the G15 irons to the V2 irons AND woods (not the Hybrids - Ping's hybrids leave me wanting - the G10 hybrids might have been their best).

I was sort of looking forward to the new Ping line up, to see what would be new in my bag.  I am really, really disappointeed in this new line up and this will be the first time I don't end up buying a new set of Pings. The reason is becasue the K15's would be a step backwards from the V2's.  I am sure I am in a minority on this and I am sure Ping could care less.

The new woods have be baffled.  For a right to left player like me, they just don't make any sense with their draw bias.  But, they are not meant for a right to left player, they are aimed at a slicer, as most weekend and recreational golfers slice the ball.

The market Ping is aiming at is the high handicapper, slicer.  

I was hoping for some new technology.  It didn't happen.

You don't even get shaft options this time around. There is only one graphite shaft available, and its the same one used in the G15.  That's an economic move that makes sense, although it may be perceived by many as a cheap move by Ping,...........i.e., limiting options of a quality shaft option as they did in the past (Alldila Proto with the V1, Diamana with the V2).  

I am sure there is a target market for this club, but it ain't me.

While I am disappinted in this offering, thinking it through it is probably a good marketing move by Ping.  They've lowered the price of the Rapture offering, and have targeted a wider market (high handicappers that slice the ball).  That makes sense.  I wish them the best with this offering.

The K line further signnifies Ping's broad range of offerings, from the forged and then S56's for the really good players, to the mmid handicapper for the G15 and now the high handicapper with the K15.  Makes sense if you look at it from a marketing standpoint.

But, I won't be buying the K15.

Edited by collingsom1a, 18 August 2010 - 02:44 PM.

Hey man, I'm the dude

#25 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Received my Demo Clubs yesterday, only thing I like about the K15 is the black finish, which looks rather cool and the fact the Tungsten Insert is now inserted into the sole from within the cavity before they weld the face in, so you can't tell its there from the outside looking at the sole of back of the club. Keeps the clubs look intact, However the fact it seems to resemble the widest club ever in Ping's Catalogue, makes me instantly hate it.

#26 bigstunnerdude

bigstunnerdude

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36005
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Also as touched upon be several above, if the K15 range is aimed at the Weekend Golfer or Slicer type player, why attach the premium price? Most Golfers who I'd want to fit for K15 Clubs or V2 Clubs won't dream of paying the price that comes with the ultra forgiveness. I have to offer rock bottom discounts just to get them to buy G15. Ping were disappointed with Rapture & V2 sales, so they learn nothing and release a new range at the same price point which sadly makes the G15 & i15 look more economically sound.

#27 pedarius

pedarius

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79458
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

View Postbigstunnerdude, on 18 August 2010 - 04:34 PM, said:

Also as touched upon be several above, if the K15 range is aimed at the Weekend Golfer or Slicer type player, why attach the premium price? Most Golfers who I'd want to fit for K15 Clubs or V2 Clubs won't dream of paying the price that comes with the ultra forgiveness. I have to offer rock bottom discounts just to get them to buy G15. Ping were disappointed with Rapture & V2 sales, so they learn nothing and release a new range at the same price point which sadly makes the G15 & i15 look more economically sound.

Unlike the Rapture V2 when it was introduced, the K15 driver and woods are at the same price point as the G15, at least in the US.  The irons are presumably more expensive than the G15s because of the cost of the titanium in the faces and more complicated product of multi-material irons (just like the Rapture V2 irons).
Ping Anser 9.5* 'ahina
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 15*
Adams XTD Ti 19*
Mizuno JPX 825 4-GW
Ping Grayhawk TR
Mizuno MP R-12 56.13* and 60.08*

#28 PhilLefty

PhilLefty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42549

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

[quote name='collingsom1a' timestamp='1282160154' post='2647550']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I've been a HUGE Ping backer for years.  I always got the new clubs every two years becasue they honestly improved my driver distance, iron accuracy and even iron distance. Plus, I am very supportive of Ping being a USA club maker, which can't be said for any of the other clubs being made.  

I gravitated from the G's to the V's, the latest from the G15 irons to the V2 irons AND woods (not the Hybrids - Ping's hybrids leave me wanting - the G10 hybrids might have been their best).

I was sort of looking forward to the new Ping line up, to see what would be new in my bag.  I am really, really disappointeed in this new line up and this will be the first time I don't end up buying a new set of Pings. The reason is becasue the K15's would be a step backwards from the V2's.  I am sure I am in a minority on this and I am sure Ping could care less.

The new woods have be baffled.  For a right to left player like me, they just don't make any sense with their draw bias.  But, they are not meant for a right to left player, they are aimed at a slicer, as most weekend and recreational golfers slice the ball.

You don't even get shaft options this time around. There is only one graphite shaft available, and its the same one used in the G15.  That's an economic move that makes sense, although it may be perceived by many as a cheap move by Ping,...........i.e., limiting options of a quality shaft option as they did in the past (Alldila Proto with the V1, Diamana with the V2).  

While I am disappinted in this offering, thinking it through it is probably a good marketing move by Ping.  They've lowered the price of the Rapture offering, and have targeted a wider market (high handicappers that slice the ball).  That makes sense.  I wish them the best with this offering.

The K line further signnifies Ping's broad range of offerings, from the forged and then S56's for the really good players, to the mmid handicapper for the G15 and now the high handicapper with the K15.  Makes sense if you look at it from a marketing standpoint.

[/quote]

Have you actually demo'ed them yet?

#29 collingsom1a

collingsom1a

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

[quote name='PhilLefty ' timestamp='1282170519' post='2647858']
[quote name='collingsom1a' timestamp='1282160154' post='2647550']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you actually demo'ed them yet?
[/quote]
Anser to your question:  No, and yes.

No, when I wrote this post yesterday I had not hit them.  But, yes, I hit them this morning.

My thoughts on them:

Woods:  Well, if you like the looks of the Callaway iz, you will like these.  The head looks a little bigger than the G15 and V2, and it has that tapered - stealth like look - extended look of the iz's.  They are real solid at impact and sound sort of close to the G15's.  The first thing you notice when you hit them is how high the ball goes.  Allot higher trajectory than the G15, allot.  And, they certainly are draw biased. I hit a K15 10.5 Reg.  With a full out swing, I had a tendency to hit pull hooks, or a big draw.  I was hitting these left of my target and had a hard time hitting them straight on an all out, go at it, swing.  If I slowed the swing down and didn't try to jump on the ball (80% feel swing), I hit these very high, very, very straight.  Compared to the G15 and V2, I probably hit this club about 5 yds shorter, but very straight when I swung with a smooth swing.  The fairway wood just looked too big for me, so I didn't bother hitting it.  All in all, this club would be an ideal club for a player who has slow to moderate, smooth swing tempo.  I think if that's your profile, you'd find the ball allot in the fairway, especially if you have the tendency to hit slices or left to right balls flight.

Hybrids:  Boy, these Hybrids look quite a bit like the G15's.  Same shaft, same color scheme.  They perform about the same as the G15.  They also appear to have had the lie flattened out more.  The G15's seemed to have the toe up at address, but these don't.  This is a well designed hybrid for the player that need to get the ball airborne quickly. They are very long, easy to hit.  In short, if you like the looks of the G15 hybrid, you will like these.  If you don't like the looks of the G15 hybrid, you will not like these at all.

Irons - Honestly, these irons look the same to me at address as did the V2's and the G15 irons.  But, if you put them side by side, you can see that the sole is a tiny bit wider, but you'd need to have them side by side to say you knew they were different.   They do seem to hit the ball on a higher trajectory, however than the V2's or the G15's.  These irons are supposed to be more forgiving than the G15's, and I would say generally that is probablly true, but I am not sure you can argue with the G15 performance in any regard.  Where they appeared to be different from the G15's was the higher trajectory, and the feel that these clubs were just mainly going to hit the ball straight.  I didn't have the feeling that I could draw or fade the club as much, but in all honesty, I think we are splitting hairs here. They do use the same graphite shaft that is used in the G15, so there is not any difference there.   The titanium face does seems to give the ball a "hot off the face" feel and sound.  I did not nitice any advatage in distance between the 2 clubs......just mainly the higher ball trajectory of the K15's and the hotter feel off the face, the slightly  more forging head of the K15 - but this latter point should not be over exaggerated.  

My overall ssessment of the K15 line up is that it is an ideal club super GI club.  It fills the nitche in Pings line up by speciafically fine tuning a golf club for the high handicap, lower clubhead speed, right to left / slicer.  The K15 does all of this and more.

If you are playing Ping V2's and were expecting a club that would replace the V2 and be an improvement over the V2, you likely will be disappointed in the K15.

I play the V2 iron, and there is no way I would ever replace the v2's with the K15.  I am primarily swing with a quick swing, and hit almost everything with right to left spin, so the K15 just wouldn't fit me.  However, if I were a left to right swinger, I'd really have to take a long and hard look at the K15 line up, becasue cahnces are, it would be an improvement..

Phil.....hope that helps.

Edited by collingsom1a, 19 August 2010 - 10:37 AM.

Hey man, I'm the dude

#30 bermuda

bermuda

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42877
  • Ebay ID:al_neri
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

^Thanks for the K15 review. I probably swing too fast for them but with a different shaft they might be useful.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors