Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Water activated grip tape?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

Is the water activated grip tape any good, and easy to use?  I've always use the "old style" grip tape with mineral spirits, to install grips.  Also if I wanted to remove and save a grip would I load water into my grip shooter instead of mineral spirits?  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 r.yan163

r.yan163

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7659
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm also interested in people's experience with this type of tape. I'm about to order some grips and tape to regrip for the first time. This water based tape has been mentioned in a few threads during my searches, but there wasn't a definitive answer...

Seems like water+windex is the best way to use this type of tape in order to avoid a real messy clean up for subsequent regrip jobs. Can any experts chime in?

#3 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Water activated tape is a PITA to remove. It works fine as long as you don't ever plan on regripping. If you do, get solvent based tape. It comes off muuuuuuch easier. Ever removed factory tape from a Titleist? They use water activated tape and it's a pain. I hate that stuff.

#4 boomgoesthedynamite

boomgoesthedynamite

I'm a big believer in fate. I have a good feeling about this

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4717
  • Ebay ID:cuffdemhoes
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

I just started regripping my clubs this summer and decided to go with the water activated tape, as I didn't want to get into the hassle of buying mineral spirits and having to clean it all up afterwards. A spray bottle filled with water and little dishwashing liquid works great. Just spray it into the grip and then onto the tape and slide the grip onto the shaft. I've read where others have said that the water activated tape takes a little while longer to dry, but it also gives you more time to make adjustments to the grip to make sure you have it on correctly. I have removed the grip and water activated tape from one club, and I didn't find it any harder or easier than the solvent based tape. I haven't tried saving a grip, so I can't provide any insight to that end.

#5 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 651

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

boomgoesthedynamite, on 27 July 2010 - 08:45 PM, said:

I just started regripping my clubs this summer and decided to go with the water activated tape, as I didn't want to get into the hassle of buying mineral spirits and having to clean it all up afterwards. A spray bottle filled with water and little dishwashing liquid works great. Just spray it into the grip and then onto the tape and slide the grip onto the shaft. I've read where others have said that the water activated tape takes a little while longer to dry, but it also gives you more time to make adjustments to the grip to make sure you have it on correctly. I have removed the grip and water activated tape from one club, and I didn't find it any harder or easier than the solvent based tape. I haven't tried saving a grip, so I can't provide any insight to that end.

How long had the water based tape that you removed been on there?  If it hadn't been on a week or two and had had time to get to full cure, then you haven't really had the pleasure of removing tape that's water activated in it's nastiest form.  Oh, and the longer it's on there, the worse it gets.

Edited by RookieBlue7, 27 July 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#6 r.yan163

r.yan163

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, water activated tape has a different adhesive on the side that sticks to the club than solvent activated tape?

I figured that the only difference in the tape would be the side that is in contact with the grip itself.

#7 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60361
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

RookieBlue7, on 27 July 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

Water activated tape is a PITA to remove. It works fine as long as you don't ever plan on regripping. If you do, get solvent based tape. It comes off muuuuuuch easier. Ever removed factory tape from a Titleist? They use water activated tape and it's a pain. I hate that stuff.

What he said. In spades. That stuff is just plain nasty.

#8 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

I've been using the stuff since it first came out and love it.  So versatile I've actually regripped clubs in the parking lot and in the middle of a round.  Always carry a couple of precut strips in my bag and an extra grip or two.  A pocket knife and a bottle of water and you're set.  By using just water without the Windex or dishsoap additive, they dry superfast and are ready to swing in five minutes or less (just get em' on right the first time!).  As for removing, just use one of the little rod type tools that Golfsmith or GolfWorks sells.  Work the rod down into the grip and add a little water as you go and they slip right off unharmed to use another day.  As for removing the tape, I've never thought it was any harder then conventional tape.  Again, I usually use one of the little concave scraper tools designed for the purpose but it's no big deal at all if you do it this way.  Get a much cleaner surface for regripping that way anyhow.  Plus, I hate the smell of the solvents and they're a pain to dispose of.  I gotta think that it's at least worth a try and if you don't like it it's not like some major investment down the drain.  Good luck deciding.

#9 HabitualPINseeKER21

HabitualPINseeKER21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104400
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

vernon, on 28 July 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

I've been using the stuff since it first came out and love it.  So versatile I've actually regripped clubs in the parking lot and in the middle of a round.  Always carry a couple of precut strips in my bag and an extra grip or two.  A pocket knife and a bottle of water and you're set.  By using just water without the Windex or dishsoap additive, they dry superfast and are ready to swing in five minutes or less (just get em' on right the first time!).  As for removing, just use one of the little rod type tools that Golfsmith or GolfWorks sells.  Work the rod down into the grip and add a little water as you go and they slip right off unharmed to use another day.  As for removing the tape, I've never thought it was any harder then conventional tape.  Again, I usually use one of the little concave scraper tools designed for the purpose but it's no big deal at all if you do it this way.  Get a much cleaner surface for regripping that way anyhow.  Plus, I hate the smell of the solvents and they're a pain to dispose of.  I gotta think that it's at least worth a try and if you don't like it it's not like some major investment down the drain.  Good luck deciding.

Thinking about doing my grips for the first time and these water activated grips are pretty cheap. 50 cents for a precut strip of water activated grip tape.

http://www.golfsmith...rip_Tape_Strips

Would one of these strips be enough to regrip one club or would you need to use 2 of these strips to regrip one club?  What's wrong with using solvents besides the smell? I was thinking of going the traditional route with grip tape and solvent/mineral spirits for my first regrip but after reading your post I'm thinking of going water activated grip tapes and a spray bottle of windex I just happen to have lying around the house.
910D3 8.5*(A4) Aldila RIP 70x
910Fd 15*(A4) Aldila RIP 80x
910H 21*(A1) Attas Hybrid 100x
AP2 710 4-9 KBS Tour X
Vokey SM4 48*,58*/Vokey TVD K Grind 60*
Nike Method 001

#10 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 616

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I use those same strips from GS, one strip per club (unless you plan on building the size up)

the nice thing about no solvents is that I often regrip in my living room, getting a little soapy water spilled around is probably making my place cleaner than when I started (being a bachelor and all) .   it's nice to have one less cannister of toxic junk lying around the house. I've done grips with water based tape, and regular tape and I see no drawbacks to the soapy water solution instead of solvent.

I have had no issues with the water based tape being any worse to remove later than any other kind of tape

I wonder if the people complaining are just griping about re-gripping titleist clubs, or clubs that they've personally used water based tape on before.   I haven't regripped any Titleist clubs, but I have regripped plenty that I'd done myself before and I notice no difference in the tape being a problem to remove.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 HabitualPINseeKER21

HabitualPINseeKER21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

Well I'm regripping my 695mbs and I took out the grip from my 909F2 and the grip tape wasn't that hard to take off, it just took me a good 10 minutes to get everything off.
AP2 710 4-9 KBS Tour X
Nike Method 001

#12 HabitualPINseeKER21

HabitualPINseeKER21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

harold baines, on 28 July 2010 - 02:06 PM, said:

I use those same strips from GS, one strip per club (unless you plan on building the size up)

the nice thing about no solvents is that I often regrip in my living room, getting a little soapy water spilled around is probably making my place cleaner than when I started (being a bachelor and all) .   it's nice to have one less cannister of toxic junk lying around the house. I've done grips with water based tape, and regular tape and I see no drawbacks to the soapy water solution instead of solvent.

I have had no issues with the water based tape being any worse to remove later than any other kind of tape

I wonder if the people complaining are just griping about re-gripping titleist clubs, or clubs that they've personally used water based tape on before.   I haven't regripped any Titleist clubs, but I have regripped plenty that I'd done myself before and I notice no difference in the tape being a problem to remove.

After reading your post I think I'm gonna go with the water activated grip tapes.  Thanks
AP2 710 4-9 KBS Tour X
Nike Method 001

#13 r.yan163

r.yan163

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

I think I'm going to go ahead with the water based tape as well. Thanks for the input harold!

#14 harold baines

harold baines

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 616

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

you guys won't be dissapointed, the stuff has worked very well for me in the past

I 'm just a big fan of not having to worry about where the stuff drips/sprays since it's not toxic (and I can't see a drawback compared to solvents)

#15 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

I agree that you won't be disapointed.  Plus, you'll never know without giving it a shot.  How about posting an update afterwards?  I'd be interested to know how it worked out and what your opinion is after trying it.  Hope I didn't mislead you in any way but I'm confident you'll like it.  Solvent might not be real expensive but water's certainly cheaper!

#16 tElihu

tElihu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

I've been using water activated tape for about 3-4 years, and have never had any problem whatsoever removing old tape, even on grips 2-3 years old. Even if I did, I'd buy a tape scraper.

I'll never use solvent activated tape again.  Harsh on the environment, usually flammable, obnoxious odor, can be harmful to eyes, skin, clothing,  etc... And if you run out doing grips late one evening, good luck getting more.

One tip. Not all water activate tape is the same, so try only water the first grip and if it's too difficult add a bit of dishwashing liquid and/or windex. They help the grip slip on easier, but prolong the drying time.

#17 TMfan54

TMfan54

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59407
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

so what is the best water activated tape? can someone who uses it and is happy with the one they use please give a link?
SLDR 9.5* Matrix 6Q3
Adams Pro Mini 16*
TM 4,5 MC TP
TM 6-PW MB TP
Vokey 52, 56, 60
SC Studio Select

#18 cmb71

cmb71

Tour Winner

• 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28443
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:45 PM

TMfan54, on 06 September 2010 - 02:18 PM, said:

so what is the best water activated tape? can someone who uses it and is happy with the one they use please give a link?

Golfsmith Water Activated Grip Tape

They used to sell it in rolls too but apparently it's out of stock.  I have never had a problem with this stuff, even upon removal of the tape.  Plus, with a child around, I can regrip in the living room... he even helps me know.
SLDR 430 Tour Issue 12* Chrome 6F5T
TM SLDR S 3 Wood UST VTS Silver 9X
TM Tour Preferred MB 3-PW KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM5 54*S & 60*L
Titleist 712U 2 Iron KBS Tour
Odyssey MXM #1

#19 blade_man

blade_man

Major Winner

• 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47994
  • Ebay ID:napaman
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

RookieBlue7, on 27 July 2010 - 09:53 PM, said:

boomgoesthedynamite, on 27 July 2010 - 08:45 PM, said:

How long had the water based tape that you removed been on there?  If it hadn't been on a week or two and had had time to get to full cure, then you haven't really had the pleasure of removing tape that's water activated in it's nastiest form.  Oh, and the longer it's on there, the worse it gets.

+1 PITA!!

#20 TMfan54

TMfan54

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59407
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

cmb71, on 06 September 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

TMfan54, on 06 September 2010 - 02:18 PM, said:

Golfsmith Water Activated Grip Tape

They used to sell it in rolls too but apparently it's out of stock.  I have never had a problem with this stuff, even upon removal of the tape.  Plus, with a child around, I can regrip in the living room... he even helps me know.

ok thanks.

SLDR 9.5* Matrix 6Q3
Adams Pro Mini 16*
TM 4,5 MC TP
TM 6-PW MB TP
Vokey 52, 56, 60
SC Studio Select

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors