Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hogan Apex 4 Shafts vs Other Stock Shafts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pappaf2

pappaf2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I've been looking at picking up a set of Hogan BH-5 irons and had some questions about the Apex 4 shafts. I have read that the Apex 3 is regular flex and Apex 4 is stiff flex. Seems like most sets of BH-5's for sale have the Apex 4 shaft. I guess I'm curious how these compare to other stock shaft offerings in similar clubs. Any idea how they compare to Callaway Uniflex shafts, Ping JZ / CS Lite / AWT shafts, etc. I'm not sure if my swing is suited for a shaft as stiff as the Apex 4. Right now I am playing some hand me down mid 1990's Golden Bears with Graphite shafts with a carry distance on a well struck 7 iron is 150 yards or so.

We're not here for a long time,
just a good time.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 pdaero

pdaero

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.4
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Apex 4 is an incredible shaft - great feel, trajectory and consistency. Sometimes the QC can be slightly out of whack and they can be a little stiff, but they are great. You might be able to handle them with a carry of 150..
PING Rapture V2 9* w/ XVS6
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400
PING Anser Milled 0 34"

#3 EasyDDI

EasyDDI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22352
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

The Apex 4 corresponds to the True Temper Dynalite Gold S300. Compared to the Dynamic Gold S300 it is lighter (115 g both for the Apex and the Dynalite vs 127 g for the DGS300), it will give you a higher trajectory than the DGS 300 for sure. This shaft was manufactured by Royal Precision, then the production first choice was named Apex and passed to Hogan Golf or so I was told. Personally, I find it stiffer than the DGS300 even though it is lighter.
I do not know the loft of your 7 iron, but 150 yds carry might be just borderline for these shafts. I carry 160 yds with 37 degrees of loft on my Apex Redline 7 iron if it gives you any indication.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors