Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I'm a caddie at bandon... Ask away!

53 replies to this topic

#31 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6596
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

I'm not sure when the picture tour and videos with Tom Doak will be available on the resort's website, sorry.  However, some poking around on youtube will yield some interviews with Doak (even one hosted by a caddie/journalist!) and a few other ways to get a look at the course.  You're right though... the anticipation can be just as much fun as the actual experience.  

I'm afraid I don't know the dentist/caddie you're talking about but I wouldn't be surprised if he is still here.  There are quite a few 10 year veterans out here still looping.

Will pass along a hello to tour rich next time I see him, it's always neat to hear about a repeat guest and their connection with a caddie.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 birdieboy52

birdieboy52

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1936
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

View Postwayneebaby, on 12 July 2010 - 09:29 AM, said:

Moved to bandon this year and I'm happy to answer any questions! Looking forward to seeing you all up here and looping for you :)

What do you consider  to be a level of service that warrants payment other than the flat rate?

#33 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

That's kind of a tricky question, I don't know how to answer that best. I have received my best tips when I've helped my players win bets or when I've helped improve scores dramatically. Everyone has their own expectations and preferences though.

#34 drstroud

drstroud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6994
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:37 AM

Does Faith still caddy at Bandon?
Adams Fast 12 LS Aldila DVS
Callaway Steelhead 3 ProLite
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro Apex 4
MacGregor MT Don White 50, 54, 58
PING Anser BeNi

#35 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Yup!

#36 WichitaDuffer

WichitaDuffer

Just a duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102020
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:32 PM

This will probably sound stupid, but is Bandon one of those places that need a handicap rating, or do they let anyone out on that course? I understand that price will drive away the standard muni riff raff, but if I wanted to (not saying that I would, too much respect) could I come out there, pay the money and then just duff/shank it all over the course? I am sure as a caddy that would get very annoying, and believe me, I wouldn't do it. Still not good enough for any of the "elite" courses.

#37 Mizuno.78

Mizuno.78

PGA Pro

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22371
  • Ebay ID:golfer.jack
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:28 AM

Do you know Craig Crooks? aka Crooksy? I used to caddy with him in Ireland. Aussie guy, good laugh!

#38 birdieboy52

birdieboy52

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

View Postwayneebaby, on 19 September 2010 - 11:40 PM, said:

That's kind of a tricky question, I don't know how to answer that best. I have received my best tips when I've helped my players win bets or when I've helped improve scores dramatically. Everyone has their own expectations and preferences though.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by smith5606, 23 September 2010 - 08:28 AM.
Question asked and answered. Move along.

#39 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

No handicap rating is required to play bandon. I've had guys with 30-something handicaps have a lot of fun out here.

I don't know crooks so I'm not sure if he's still out here.

#40 sanjuanfly

sanjuanfly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114999
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

What is the standard tip for a forecaddie?  Just made reservations for the wife and I in late March.  We will be playing Bandon Dunes and Old Mac.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 birdieboy52

birdieboy52

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

View Postsanjuanfly, on 20 October 2010 - 01:22 PM, said:

What is the standard tip for a forecaddie?  Just made reservations for the wife and I in late March.  We will be playing Bandon Dunes and Old Mac.

Wouldn't a tip be based upon your expectation of a forecaddy's ability and service and whether that expectation is met or exceeded?

#42 sanjuanfly

sanjuanfly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

@Boy...yes it would but I have never used a caddie, let alone a forecaddie.  If I felt that the caddie gave sound advice, seemed interested in our round of golf (wasn't texting, talking on cell phone, rolling eyes) I would thinking $50 to $75 for the two of us.  However, I don't want to insult the guy, but I also don't want to pay for their second home in AZ.  At restaurants I have tipped from $0 to over $100 (on a $150 tab), but that is based on the general 15% of tab.

According to the Bandon Dunes website a caddie makes between $80-$100 per round, depending on services provided. So maybe that rate for so something similar for a group might not be too bad.

To anyone else who has used a forecaddie, how much did you tip and what were your expectations?

#43 birdieboy52

birdieboy52

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

View Postsanjuanfly, on 23 October 2010 - 02:17 PM, said:

@Boy...yes it would but I have never used a caddie, let alone a forecaddie.  If I felt that the caddie gave sound advice, seemed interested in our round of golf (wasn't texting, talking on cell phone, rolling eyes) I would thinking $50 to $75 for the two of us.  However, I don't want to insult the guy, but I also don't want to pay for their second home in AZ.  At restaurants I have tipped from $0 to over $100 (on a $150 tab), but that is based on the general 15% of tab.

According to the Bandon Dunes website a caddie makes between $80-$100 per round, depending on services provided. So maybe that rate for so something similar for a group might not be too bad.

To anyone else who has used a forecaddie, how much did you tip and what were your expectations?

OK, so what are your expectations of  a forecaddy, meaning what do you want them to provide you at a course you have not previously played?  You set the expectation on the first tee. If you allow someone else to set that expectation, you'll get hammered when the hand comes out at the end of the round for the tip. FWIW, a tip is only due IMO when expectations have been exceeded not when expectations for what I deem to be the basic service have been met. I sell for a living so I deal with expectations on a daily basis.

#44 option720

option720

That is Oregon if you didn't know

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95536
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

View Postbirdieboy52, on 23 October 2010 - 03:36 PM, said:

View Postsanjuanfly, on 23 October 2010 - 02:17 PM, said:

OK, so what are your expectations of  a forecaddy, meaning what do you want them to provide you at a course you have not previously played?  You set the expectation on the first tee. If you allow someone else to set that expectation, you'll get hammered when the hand comes out at the end of the round for the tip. FWIW, a tip is only due IMO when expectations have been exceeded not when expectations for what I deem to be the basic service have been met. I sell for a living so I deal with expectations on a daily basis.

Last April I went down and took a caddie for the first time. He carried my bag along ($55) but he offered my dad advice at times and raked his bunkers. We tipped him $50 for his work. He asked if he could loop for us the next day and we gladly accepted. On that day he still only carried my bag, but he level of service went even deeper. There were two other guys in the group without a caddie and they kept listening to his description of the greens, and asked for yardages which was annoying. That day we tipped him $65 and the other guys gave him about $40.

What do you think Eric, was that fair? btw...the VR irons rock.

#45 sanjuanfly

sanjuanfly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Option...thanks for the reply.  That is what I was looking for, a description of what he did for you and what you paid him.  Since he asked to loop for you the next day I assume he was happy with what you paid him.  

What part of Oregon are you from?  I will be playing Stone Creek and Langdon Farms in early December.

#46 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Yeah option720 is right on the money! (glad you're liking the irons btw!) He took great care of his caddie. The standard spiel for a forecaddie's payment structure goes like this, "$25/player plus tip based on service." Like option noted, my forecaddie rounds typically end up being an after the fact type deal when I am the only caddie carrying for part of a foursome. A forecaddie is definitely worth the dough, these courses are not so cut and dried and it's a totally different style of golf than the rest of the average United States golfers play.

#47 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

Can you get me on? :man_in_love:  :man_in_love:

#48 wayneebaby

wayneebaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hopefully I've been helpful to a few of you. I'll be out of touch for the next few months but will repost when I'm back at bandon next spring. Take care all, best wishes for good weather to all winter visitors

#49 sanjuanfly

sanjuanfly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Thanks...we (wife and I) are reserved for next March...can't wait.

#50 SnapFade2

SnapFade2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47267
  • Ebay ID:dj80d6
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

hey u never answered my question u know my buddy adam

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

How difficult would it be to walk on as a single at any of the Bandon courses in mid-January?  I'm road-tripping down the coast and hitting up a few courses early next year and would love to be able to show up and play (ideally paired up with a group who know the course already).

Is there a military rate available?

#52 Oxxxs

Oxxxs

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65288
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

I'm arriving at Bandon September 16th and leaving on the 19th. Going to play all four courses with three buddies. We'll be looking for a good foursome of caddies. Suggestions please. Thanks.

#53 cubanstogie

cubanstogie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64894
  • Ebay ID:mp60playa
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

I am going to Bandon Saturday the 30th, driving up with my wife and daughter eventually going to Bend.  Couple of questions, first I have a staff bag and don't really want a caddie to carry it. Does the club have light weight bags to use? Secondly I will be a single and can play anytime or course what time and course would you suggest. My initial thought is going to be PD at  
0740 but not opposed to afternoon either. Thanks

#54 whitefro

whitefro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115431
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

The reading comprehension is strong in this thread....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors