Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How does Dustin Johnson not hook every shot?

113 replies to this topic

#31 moonshine

moonshine

06/17/18 Best day of year to watch golf!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 745

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

While you all are arguing, I would mention if Furyk can win the big one anybody can.  Analyze that "taught" swing.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 glcoach

glcoach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6874
  • Handicap:2.1
  • Ebay ID:rpw217
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

View PostMP60dude, on 21 June 2010 - 03:38 PM, said:

While you all are arguing, I would mention if Furyk can win the big one anybody can.  Analyze that "taught" swing.

His swing is better than most out there ...he absolutely lights up the trackman.

#33 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342481
  • Handicap:0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

View Postcwdlaw223, on 19 June 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

How does he square up such a shut face at impact?  He could wait tables with his clubface at the top of his backswing.

It's Dustin's right hand that's the key.  Because he's not holding the club like a rifle or flyswatter with his wrist perpendicular to the shaft, as we're all taught, he can swing it without having to rotate the shaft.  Although, Dustin's grip at address looks fairly normal, look closely how he's tweaking the right hand to get the wrist more parallel to the shaft.  At the top of the backswing his right hand has moved to be more parallel to the shaft than perpendicular or slightly askew.  This allows him to truly use the shaft of the club like a club rather than the rifle grip which dictates you swing the club like a fly swatter.  
I don't know why everyone is so concerned with his left wrist.  The left wrist is only doing what the right hand forced it to do, not the other way around.  For a right handed person the right hand is the most important and dexterous part of our body.  The rest of the body reacts to what the right hand is doing or is going to do, and we want to remove this from the golf swing?  Well yes, if you're gripping the club like a fly swatter or rifle with your right hand it's impossible to swing the club like Dustin.  The club will always release too soon and roll over and it's all caused by the right hand grip.  

The real secret is to have both wrists aligned and working in the same direction.  When the wrists are aligned the forearms are parallel.  We grip a baseball bat and a tennis racket this way and it works well, naturally.  Why do we hold a golf club like a bat in the left hand and like a fly swatter with the right?  How are two grips in different directions supposed to work together?  They don't, which is why golf is so hard for so many people.  
Solution: It's crazy simple ... Raise the heel pad of your right hand to be just slightly higher on your left thumb.  This will put your left thumb across the heel pad and thumb pad of the right hand.  Your wrists should now be aligned or at least close and your forearms should be parallel but facing in opposite directions.  The club will no longer be in line with either arms and should now be more parallel to the wrists than aligned with them.  If you're going to break a board with your hand you'd break it with the heel pad of your right hand without use of the right wrist at all - it's the end of the forearm you're smashing into the board.  This is the same feeling you should have when you're approaching a golf ball with the club gripped properly.  Your right hand will feel like it's upside down and your right forearm should be facing upward and you're not using the right wrist at all.
Watch any big hitter and you'll see this right hand position, Dustin, Sadlowsky, Flagg ... they all do it.

#34 Universal

Universal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451218
  • Handicap:4

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

View Postglcoach, on 21 June 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

It is the face, just because the wrist is bowed at the top doesn't mean it is "closed"...just less open.  All faces open up on the backswing, if they didn't, you couldn't even make a backswing.

None of what you wrote is accurate. DJ's clubface is ABSOLUTELY closed at the top. If he stopped his swing at the top and put his club back to address without manipulating the face, it would be completely closed.

Secondly, clubface does not "open" in a good backswing.

Edited by Universal, 13 February 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#35 epyon

epyon

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250972
  • Ebay ID:epyonsux
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

Why are you guys responding to comments for almost 8 years ago?  lol

Taylormade 2017 M1- AD DI 6s
Cobra F7 3w - AD DI 7s
Cobra F7 3H
Cobra Bio Cell 4H
Srixon 545 5-PW S300
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 - KBS Tour
Odyssey O-works7s Red
Bettinardi BB1
Taylormade Itsy Bitsy DJ Black

#36 Universal

Universal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451218
  • Handicap:4

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postepyon, on 13 February 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

Why are you guys responding to comments for almost 8 years ago?  lol

Haha...I didn't see the dates. Somehow that thread ended up on the first page for me.

#37 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 20 June 2010 - 12:23 AM, said:

View PostTallVolFan, on 20 June 2010 - 12:08 AM, said:

First and foremost....a closed clubface has never been the reason for a hook. Thats just one of many misconceptions about golf and ball flight. In actuality, a slice that starts left and moves to the right, is hit with a closed face. A closed face player can hit hooks, cuts, and straight balls. Not realizing these facts is a major reason people dont improve at this game.

Great post. Many of the great Tour players with shut clubs were faders.

Trevino and Azinger to name two. All of my students who have shut clubs I always recommend they hit fades rather than change their swings drastically.

I've always been a closed clubface guy. I was also a very hip active guy. Last year, around this time, I played in a 3day tourney and got into a case of the smother hooks (not a food dish). It ticked me off so bad the first 2 days that I said "I'm playing a fade for every shot in the 3rd round. That round was so successful that I decided to just move to the fade altogether. Honestly, a much easier transition than 15 years ago when I worked on quieting the lower body to reduce the need for good timing.

Now, I jist take the club back a bit shut, in top of the plane, and then just fire everything a bit left of path. Beautiful baby cuts. More fairways, more greens. And...no distance loss.

#38 gioguy21

gioguy21

Habitual Line Stepper

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Handicap:+0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3906

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

fairly neutral path, as well as clubface angle?

M3 460 10.5 / Kuro Kage XD 60TX

M4 3W / GD IZ 7X Tipped 1/2"

P790 3I / Tensei Pro White Hybrid 90TX

MP18 MB 4I-PW /  CTaper Lite X

SM7 52 (8), 58 (8)  /  DG S200

MD3 Chrome 64 (8)  /  DG S200

Putters:

Piretti Tour Custom 801R / 35.5"

Custom Scotty Cameron Golo N5 / 35"

TP5x #1 "GIO"

#39 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Lol.  TallVolFan rising up from the ashes...

#40 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17478

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

Twist face technology.

Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 PutterKilledTheDream

PutterKilledTheDream

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204131
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

View Postoikos1, on 13 February 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Lol.  TallVolFan rising up from the ashes...
Ahhh the good old days....

#42 tgreenwood11

tgreenwood11

Bye bye yips in 2015

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72615
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:45 AM

His face is never shut.  It's square to the arc of his clubhead path longer than most any other player in history.  I love it when the analysts  on TV talk about how shut he is at the top. He's not. They did the same analysis on Trevino and Duval.  If the toe of the club at the top of the swing is pointing down or slightly down it's open to the arc and requires manipulation of the clubhead to square it up on the downswing.  If the clubface is pointing to the sky, it's square to the arc.  The problem for many golfers is that they can't get enough leverage and need some arm and wrist rotation to get the width they need on the backswing which will open the clubface.   I'm convinced that if you can keep the clubface so-called "shut" throughout the swing it's a better way to play.  You do need a lot of flexibility, strength and body rotation to execute properly, however.  As you might notice, some "shut face" players have shorter backswings; i.e. Lee Trevino, Dan Pohl, Zach Johnson.

https://youtu.be/Soba0sGGML8

Kostis has it wrong.

Edited by tgreenwood11, 14 February 2018 - 06:47 AM.

#43 Pigems

Pigems

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 17128

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

This is DJ, it’s from this article, https://blog.trackma...017-wgc-mexico/

Edited by Pigems, 14 February 2018 - 09:17 AM.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
710 AP2 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 47*F, 51*F- S300
SM5 55*M, 59*M- S300
SC Studio Select NP2

#44 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

View Posttgreenwood11, on 14 February 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

His face is never shut.  It's square to the arc of his clubhead path longer than most any other player in history.  I love it when the analysts  on TV talk about how shut he is at the top. He's not. They did the same analysis on Trevino and Duval.  If the toe of the club at the top of the swing is pointing down or slightly down it's open to the arc and requires manipulation of the clubhead to square it up on the downswing.  If the clubface is pointing to the sky, it's square to the arc.  The problem for many golfers is that they can't get enough leverage and need some arm and wrist rotation to get the width they need on the backswing which will open the clubface.   I'm convinced that if you can keep the clubface so-called "shut" throughout the swing it's a better way to play.  You do need a lot of flexibility, strength and body rotation to execute properly, however.  As you might notice, some "shut face" players have shorter backswings; i.e. Lee Trevino, Dan Pohl, Zach Johnson.

https://youtu.be/Soba0sGGML8

Kostis has it wrong.

Why does anyone care at all what the clubface is doing at the top?  You don't hit the ball at the top of your backswing!  Impact is where you need to be concerned about the clubface.  Because the toe of the club weighs more than the heel when swinging, by design, this allows you to use it's inertia to manipulate it, if you know how.  Most people over-maniupulate the toe of the club to close too early in the downswing in a futile effort to make sure that f'n ball don't go right, but because they closed it so early it's now outside the shaft or even in front of it and they're still forcefully moving the shaft toward the ball so inertia is now working against them and opening the clubface as they move through the ball.  If a club is hanging limp and you hit the shaft forward the toe of the club opens, this is what's happening when you close the face too soon.  Now, if you let a club swing and stop it at the shaft the toe closes, of course, everyone knows that, so why do so many people force it closed so early?  Fear of hitting the ball right prevents the players from making the motion and allowing the trust needed to allow the club to do what it was engineered to do.  
Back to the point ... When you know how to manipulate the inertia of the toe you can take the club away leaving the face closed so that you can feel the weight of the toe dragging, like Brooks Koepka, and then as you start down, relax and let the toe open, hit it's max rotation, rebound and then strike the ball.  It's how we throw a ball.  We allow the arm to relax, rotate until it can't any more, then it rebounds and then we put muscular effort into it and throw.  That's how these players take the club away so shut and still hit fades.  Yes?
If you've never tried anything like this just try swinging and keeping the clubhead outside of your hands, Furyk style, and see how much more in tune you are with the weight of the club.

#45 NikeGolferTX

NikeGolferTX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475866
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

If the face is too open at the top you're going to have to get some rate of closure somehow...usually manipulating the wrist on the way down.

DJ just presets it so he doesn't have to manipulate it. It's really that simple. One less timing aspect he has to focus on.

I mean you don't have to have a bowed wrist in order to square the club face, but a lot of guys like it.

Hogan had the cupped wrist, but he managed to manipulate it before impact...which requires a little bit of timing.

But the way DJ hits a fade is by getting more rotation and decreasing his right lateral bend. It's more “on plane” and path more to the left along with the same drive/hold release.

Posted Image

Rahm does the same damn thing. His left arm just isn't as high:

Posted Image

Edited by NikeGolferTX, 14 February 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#46 QEight

QEight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129410
  • Handicap:12,9
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostPigems, on 14 February 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

This is DJ, it's from this article, https://blog.trackma...017-wgc-mexico/

Slicer.
Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/luu5

#47 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6715

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostNikeGolferTX, on 14 February 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

If the face is too open at the top you're going to have to get some rate of closure somehow...usually manipulating the wrist on the way down.

DJ just presets it so he doesn't have to manipulate it. It's really that simple. One less timing aspect he has to focus on.

I mean you don't have to have a bowed wrist in order to square the club face, but a lot of guys like it.

Hogan had the cupped wrist, but he managed to manipulate it before impact...which requires a little bit of timing.

But the way DJ hits a fade is by getting more rotation and decreasing his right lateral bend. It's more “on plane” and path more to the left along with the same drive/hold release.

Posted Image

Rahm does the same damn thing. His left arm just isn't as high:

Posted Image

Everyone has a rate of closure through impact.  Face is closing both relative to target line and path.

DJ has as much right side bend as virtually anyone on the planet at impact.

#48 WILDTHING

WILDTHING

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457380
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

I'm trying to understand why he doesn't slice it?

I'm assuming he keeps his bowed left wrist into impact?  If you just placed the club at address and palmer flexed your left wrist , check out what happens to the clubface relative to the target line and swing path . Isn't the club face open ? Doesn't that mean he has to rotate his arm/forearm more to get the clubface square by impact?

Edited by WILDTHING, 14 February 2018 - 07:46 PM.

#49 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 15,851 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

View PostWILDTHING, on 14 February 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

I'm trying to understand why he doesn't slice it?

I'm assuming he keeps his bowed left wrist into impact?  If you just placed the club at address and palmer flexed your left wrist , check out what happens to the clubface relative to the target line and swing path . Isn't the club face open ? Doesn't that mean he has to rotate his arm/forearm more to get the clubface square by impact?

Left wrist is extending and his left arm is rotating from hip high to impact.

#50 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Again, I don't think the left wrist is the thing to focus on.  I believe it's the right.  The right wrist is loaded as much as it can be and pulling the left wrist into the bow that everyone is so concerned with.  Without the load of the right wrist the left wrist would mean nothing.  There's no power in simply bowing the left wrist, but there is in loading the right.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 Mozza73

Mozza73

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293629
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

View Postscribling, on 13 February 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

How does he square up such a shut face at impact?  He could wait tables with his clubface at the top of his backswing.

It's Dustin's right hand that's the key.  Because he's not holding the club like a rifle or flyswatter with his wrist perpendicular to the shaft, as we're all taught, he can swing it without having to rotate the shaft.  Although, Dustin's grip at address looks fairly normal, look closely how he's tweaking the right hand to get the wrist more parallel to the shaft.  At the top of the backswing his right hand has moved to be more parallel to the shaft than perpendicular or slightly askew.  This allows him to truly use the shaft of the club like a club rather than the rifle grip which dictates you swing the club like a fly swatter.  
I don't know why everyone is so concerned with his left wrist.  The left wrist is only doing what the right hand forced it to do, not the other way around.  For a right handed person the right hand is the most important and dexterous part of our body.  The rest of the body reacts to what the right hand is doing or is going to do, and we want to remove this from the golf swing?  Well yes, if you're gripping the club like a fly swatter or rifle with your right hand it's impossible to swing the club like Dustin.  The club will always release too soon and roll over and it's all caused by the right hand grip.  

The real secret is to have both wrists aligned and working in the same direction.  When the wrists are aligned the forearms are parallel.  We grip a baseball bat and a tennis racket this way and it works well, naturally.  Why do we hold a golf club like a bat in the left hand and like a fly swatter with the right?  How are two grips in different directions supposed to work together?  They don't, which is why golf is so hard for so many people.  
Solution: It's crazy simple ... Raise the heel pad of your right hand to be just slightly higher on your left thumb.  This will put your left thumb across the heel pad and thumb pad of the right hand.  Your wrists should now be aligned or at least close and your forearms should be parallel but facing in opposite directions.  The club will no longer be in line with either arms and should now be more parallel to the wrists than aligned with them.  If you're going to break a board with your hand you'd break it with the heel pad of your right hand without use of the right wrist at all - it's the end of the forearm you're smashing into the board.  This is the same feeling you should have when you're approaching a golf ball with the club gripped properly.  Your right hand will feel like it's upside down and your right forearm should be facing upward and you're not using the right wrist at all.
Watch any big hitter and you'll see this right hand position, Dustin, Sadlowsky, Flagg ... they all do it.

Brilliant post. Deserves more credit.

#52 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 15,851 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

View PostMozza73, on 18 February 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Brilliant post. Deserves more credit.

Except Sadlowski has a grip that’s basically opposite DJ

#53 Billy Baroo

Billy Baroo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435758
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

That's a world class post and very insightful. I have been looking at DJ's right hand grip for some time now and trying to put my head around it. You sir provided the missing link.
Maybe.....Yessir!

#54 WILDTHING

WILDTHING

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457380
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Maybe someone should ask DJ to just swing with his left hand and see if he still has that bowed wrist at the top. Then we will know the answer about right hand influencing the left or not.

#55 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostWILDTHING, on 19 February 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

Maybe someone should ask DJ to just swing with his left hand and see if he still has that bowed wrist at the top. Then we will know the answer about right hand influencing the left or not.
Yes!  That would do it.

#56 Middler

Middler

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486136
  • Handicap:14.1
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

How does Bubba Watson keep the ball in play at all? I'm happy for his win, but what a wild swing...
Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10
Evnroll ER2
Snell MTB Black
Ogio Silencer

#57 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Watch the big hitters as they're taking the club away, there's a little move where they turn their right palm toward the ground, bending the right wrist backward or in "extension."
Most amateurs either leave the right wrist neutral or move it the opposite direction, into "flexion," as they take the club away.  

Try to put your right wrist in extension, without the left wrist going into flexion.  As long as your hands are on the same club one has to do the opposite of the other.  Also, if you're holding the club like a flyswatter with the right hand none of this is possible.
Posted Image

#58 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2597

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

View Postscribling, on 19 February 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Watch the big hitters as they're taking the club away, there's a little move where they turn their right palm toward the ground, bending the right wrist backward or in "extension."
Most amateurs either leave the right wrist neutral or move it the opposite direction, into "flexion," as they take the club away.  

Try to put your right wrist in extension, without the left wrist going into flexion.  As long as your hands are on the same club one has to do the opposite of the other.  Also, if you're holding the club like a flyswatter with the right hand none of this is possible.
Posted Image

You're losing me with the fly swatter reference. Probably my own denseness, but can you explain/elaborate?

Edited by dpb5031, 19 February 2018 - 09:58 AM.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#59 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

View PostMiddler, on 19 February 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

How does Bubba Watson keep the ball in play at all? I'm happy for his win, but what a wild swing...

I'm with you there.  Bubba's swing is just, let's say, unpleasant to watch.  The one thing I do like is that he's never had a lesson.  He's not tormented by the teachings of traditional American golf instruction.  He's figured out how to make the ball do what he wants and doesn't care what it looks like.

So many of amateurs are tortured by what they "think" is correct yet doesn't produce the result they want, so they just keep trying harder and harder leading to frustration and anger.

I always wondered how someone would play if I said to them, "I'll give you a million dollars to shoot even par.  You get one chance."  Would they ever hit driver or would they just hit putter the whole round?  What would be the most effective method of moving that ball through the course with all conventional golf method aside?  I imagine most people would hit putter a lot.  Personally, I use a putter all the time from under trees or anywhere I want to make sure to get out.  Friends are always asking, "you hit putter there?"   "Yes! It stays low. Has top spin and you pretty much can't chunk a putter."  (I played 9 holes with only a putter once and parred most holes.)  
My point is, if you'd play differently if you were playing for a million dollars, why aren't you playing that way now?  The point of the game is to move the ball through the course as efficiently as possible.  It's not about style, it's not about how, it's how many.  

I have a friend who's never been especially good at golf and he said to me one day, "I can kill it if I use a baseball grip."  He did!  I said, "Why the hell wouldn't you do that all the time?  There's nothing wrong with that and if it works for you, do it."  He'd been doing what he thought was correct although it made him a much worse golfer, and yet he did it anyway!  That's just crazy.  How many people out there are doing what they think is correct but it makes them horrible golfers?  Most people with athletic ability are pretty good when they first start, then someone gets a hold of them and tells them about weight shift and swing plane and next thing you know they can't hit the ball to save their life.  They can't remember what it was like to swing a club before these stupid concepts infected their head.  Before there was no thought, the body did what it needed to do unconsciously, but now, there's something there that can't be forgotten, preventing the body from moving so naturally as it once did.  

I wish we could simply wipe the concept of "weight shift" out of existence and replace it with "pressure transfer."  The concept of weight shift makes almost everyone do idiotic things.  We'd be so much better off without it.

#60 scribling

scribling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

View Postdpb5031, on 19 February 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

View Postscribling, on 19 February 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

You're losing me with the fly swatter reference. Probably my own denseness, but can you explain/elaborate?

Sure, when you're holding a flyswatter or rifle with your right hand your right forearm is more or less in line with the handle and your wrist is nearly perpendicular to the handle.  The handle becomes an extension of your forearm.  When you hold a club, like a club it's at nearly a right angle to your forearm and your wrist is nearly parallel to the handle.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors