Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Modern Short and Heavy Putter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maximilian

Maximilian

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hi guys,

So last year I got fitted for a new putter. The guy doing the fitting was pushing hard for a short shaft length. The short shaft did feel accurate, so I went ahead and ended up getting 33.5" shaft in my new putter. Since the shaft was short, we added weight in the shaft to compensate for the loss of pendulum effect. I got used to the putter and have been using it for a year now and have been fairly happy with it.

Until... I dropped off my putter to have the weights in the shaft adjusted. The same day, I went out and played a round, using one of my fathers old putters, a light weight 35" putter. I have not putted this well all year! The light weight gave me real good distance control and the extra length gave me a nice pendulum swing, letting me grip the putter really loosely for extra feel.

Got me thinking if these heavy short shafted putters are only a fad? Obviously people come in all sizes and a putter should mirror how tall it's owner is, but I still think a lot of people might be playing too short putters today. Sure, a short heavy putter might give confidence on a short putt, but I think we can all agree that good distance control is where you can really start to shave strokes from your game.

I know I will be using a lighter longer putter from now on. Am I the only one who has come to this conclusion, or are you all happy with your heavy short putters?

Best,
Maximilian

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dorfblee

dorfblee

Custom member title

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 628
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Right now I game a Mizuno Bettinardi C-04h slant neck blade putter- 34" with a heavy head (not sure what the head weight is exactly). I also have it bent 7* flat because right now I like to bend at the hips more and feel like my upper arms are "down" while my forearms are "out" at a right angle to my torso. My putting feels good and consistent.

I'm sure down the road, I may prefer to stand a little taller or have my arms a little straighter . . . so I have other putter that meets that requirement. Some of my past "best putting" days were with a 330g head Anser style 35" putter . . . but my 32.5" double bend mallet is also up there with the fewest putts . . .

Fad or not, I think all putting is pretty mental (in all sense of the word). Your club fitter put you in a putter that you putted well with at the time . . . maybe you lost a little flexibility or you wear your hat brim lower so your field of vision is affected on putts? Maybe your stroke is more handsy than before? Could be a lot of reasons why the longer lighter is working better for you now . . .

I am putting pretty well for me and have used that putter all year for the most part, yet my brain still wants to try out a 35" mid weight Bullseye Heavy Putter with a satin finish.

I repeat: putting is mental.

#3 Maximilian

Maximilian

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

I agree with you. One day I may feel better with a shorter or even longer putter. But right now I feel so comfortable with my fathers old putter, I can't see why everyone doesn't play with a putter like this! Posted Image

#4 robbie91

robbie91

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42606
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

im not a fan of the heavier putter weights -- currently im play the xg9 and like it much better than the new white ice models which are heavier -- personally i feel like i have less control over the putter at a heavier weight

i still play my putter at 33 inches though. if it gets too long i seem to get wristy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors