Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping G15 3 wood vs 4 wood

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 arydolphin

arydolphin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20809
  • Ebay ID:arydolphin
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

I've struggled a bunch with hitting 3 and 4 woods off the deck recently, and also been a little inconsistent off the tee.  I went to a demo day today and really liked the Ping G15 3 wood, especially with the Serrano shaft in stiff flex.  I was all set to bag the 3 wood, but of course, now that I'm home and looking up specs on the G15 fairway woods, I see that the 3 wood and 4 wood are the same length at 43 inches, and the 4 wood has 17 degrees of loft with the 3 wood at 15.5 degrees.  I've seen a lot of threads weighing in on 3 wood vs 4 wood in the bag, but has anyone compared these 2 clubs side-by-side in terms of distance?  I'm thinking that there wouldn't be a huge difference with 1.5 degrees of loft, and that the 4 wood might actually be better in my bag.  Yes, I should have compared them at the demo day, but I was in a hurry and didn't get to do that.

FYI, I'm guessing my driver swing speed is somewhere around 100 (hasn't been measured in a few years).  Also, I would be using this club more often off of the tee as compared to the fairway based on the courses that I play, but I struggle with hitting fairway woods off the deck which is why I like the shallow face on the G15 woods; I can just tee it low when I use it from the tee box.  Thanks in advance for your replies!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Triple B

Triple B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108617
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

According to testing Golf Digest did, a 17-18* 4 wood will out distance a 3 wood for most golfers.  Probably all but the best golfers should see this result.  For that reason I game only one wood...a G15 4 wood.

I believe their testing was from off the deck though.  I would assume that from a tee the 3 wood would be slightly longer, since it wouldn't be as hard to get in the air as it is off the deck.

#3 amcquay

amcquay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84910

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

I bag the G15 4 wood and have hit my good friend's G15 3 wood a lot at the range.  For me, I'm able to get the 4 wood up the air easier and hit it more consistently.  The 3 wood might be a few yards longer, but I'll gladly take 5-10 fewer yards for more consistent performance.  The 4 wood has been great for me from both the tee and the deck, averaging around 230 and 200ish yards respectively.  FWIW I'm a 15-20 handicap that usually blows up on or around the greens.

#4 Breaker999

Breaker999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30417
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

I have both the G15 3 and 4 woods.  Since you are mostly using it off the tee, I'd recommend the 3w.  For more use off the deck, I'd go with the 4 wood.  Currently I carry both in the bag (by removing the 5w)-- use the 3w from the fairway, and 4w from the rough.  The woods are pretty new so I haven't compared the distance between the two.  Later I'll probably switch off between the 3w and 4w, and add the Hibore 5w (19*) in the bag.

#5 dmack

dmack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34383

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

View PostMinty7890, on 07 June 2010 - 10:14 PM, said:

Currently I carry both in the bag (by removing the 5w)-- use the 3w from the fairway, and 4w from the rough.

Why would you carry two fwy woods of equal shaft length separated by a mere 1.5* ?

I'm guessing that the 1.5* difference is much greater to you mentally than physically.

#6 DCott

DCott

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65105

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

For all except those with the very high swing speeds, the added loft will get more distance, especially off the deck. I like the 4 wood because I can replace the 3 and 5 woods with it, opening up room in the bag.

#7 Bobbers

Bobbers

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68323
  • Ebay ID:bob122ate
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Your swing speed suggests the 4 wood would be a much better choice.

#8 nyjets1

nyjets1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22825
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

get the 4 you won't be sorry trust me

PING G30 10.5 Blueboard 73
PING Rapture 13* TFC949
PING G25 20* hybrid TFC 189
PING G25 4-SW RIP Tour 115
Titilist SM4 58.9 KBS Tour
Scotty Camron California Fastback

#9 lefty74pgh

lefty74pgh

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16553
  • Ebay ID:lefty74pgh
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Definitely get the #4 wood. With your SS you will get a higher launch and be more consistent. I switched about three years ago and have not looked back. I actually hit the 4 wood farther because I get get a better launch and carry.

#10 sne3_sne3

sne3_sne3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107696
  • Ebay ID:sne3_sne3

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

A 4 wood wouldnt be bad using in the fairway. Off the tee, I would much rather have a low lofted 3 wood. I use a 13.5* and in the past used a 14*. The 14* was better off the ground but the 13.5* Titleist is longer of the tee.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 rainman1

rainman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61468

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

When I purchased new G15 woods I decided on carrying a driver, 4 wood & 7 wood. I did not see but a few yards difference between the 3 & 4 and if I choke down I use it as my 5 wood. Both the 4 wood & the 7 wood  are very accurate and versitle. I now carry three woods (Driver-4-7) instead of 4. There is just not enough gap between the 3 - 5 - 7. I have bought but do not care for the hybrids. Unless I hit the driver into the trees or thick rough I can still get to or around most of the par 5s I play. I will never go back to carrying a 3 or a 5 wood.  Wednesday afternoon I hit 4 wood onto the fringe in two. Was too agressive with the eagle putt and missed the one comeing back. I was upset but it was still an easy par. My 4 & 7 woods are my favorite clubs in my bag.

#12 bberget

bberget

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109364
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

I am curious about the skill levels of the people replying. I'm sure the better/longer players can get away with driver and one fairway wood, then maybe a hybrid to 4 iron. I feel I need two woods to get to my hybrid. Can some of you include your skill level or distances in your replies?

#13 destard

destard

It's the arrow, not the Indian!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39753
  • Ebay ID:joshnolen
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

I am currently looking to get the g15 driver in 10.5 then the g15 4 wood as I currently game the Rapture 10.5 and the Rapture 4 wood and it works out great. The other day for instance, we were at the tee for a dogleg left with water to the left, a narrow opening curving left then water straight ahead. I hit my 4 wood straight to take the hazards out of play and didn't really lose much distance at all and then played the 4 wood again from the rough which left me a wedge out on this par 5. I currently fluctuate from a 15 to a 20 and struggle with wayward shots resulting in lost balls. I can shoot an 80 or I can shoot a 90 plus some days. This set up works for me as I have taken the g10 3 wood out of the bag for the most part and carry 4 wedges. Also looking at the g15 hybrids as I hit some in the store the other day and they felt pretty good, but I can hit the 3 and 4 iron pretty solid as well.

#14 lefty74pgh

lefty74pgh

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16553
  • Ebay ID:lefty74pgh
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

View Postbberget, on 12 June 2010 - 03:01 PM, said:

I am curious about the skill levels of the people replying. I'm sure the better/longer players can get away with driver and one fairway wood, then maybe a hybrid to 4 iron. I feel I need two woods to get to my hybrid. Can some of you include your skill level or distances in your replies?

I play to about a 7. I swing 105-108 SS, but I get a little steep. The extra loft of the 4 wood helps to get the ball in the air.

#15 gdb99

gdb99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12032
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:burrdie99
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'm a 5.2 handicap.

I just picked up a G15 4 wood, and it's been great. I hit it farther than the Adams 3 wood I had in the bag, it goes higher, and I'm more confident that it's going to go where I'm aiming it. My next club is a 20* Cobra hybrid then 4 iron.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, Blueboard
Cobra Bio Cell 3 wood
Cleveland DST 3 hybrid
Titleist AP-1, 4-GW
Cleveland 588 Forged 54, 58
Odyssey #2

#16 Ruleschamp

Ruleschamp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68618
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Me:

Clubhead speed (driver): avg. 98-102 mph
USGA index: 2.3
Testing: Cool Clubs, outdoor fitting with Trackman
Clubs Tested: G15 3wood and 4 wood, various shafts

Results: G15 3 wood avg carry was anywhere from 5 (lowest gap) to 13 yards (highest gap) longer than G15 4 wood off the ground, and 8 (lowest gap) to 17 (highest gap) off the tee.  Fitter said my spin rate was much better (read: less spin) than on the 4.  For some reason I was spinning the 4 too much and costing myself distance.  He said the loft differential explained a small portion of the spin differential, but was unable to detect why I was spinning it so much more and causing slight ballooning compared to the 3.

The 3 wood outdistanced the 4 wood EVERY TIME no matter what shaft I compared (about 7 different shafts tested). Ironically, best combo that produced the widest divergence (13 yards of CARRY off turf and 17 off the tee) over the G15 4 wood was with the basic, stock TFC stiff shaft.

The apex of ball flight with the 3 wood was only 1 foot lower than the apex of the 4 wood off the tee, but almost 4 feet lower off the turf.

I went with the 3 because it fit the gap I needed and was just as easy to hit as the 4.   Both heads were great.  
To my eyes (this is a personal thing), the heads on the 3 and 4 looked of similar size at address, although the exact specs show that the 4 is a few cc's smaller than the 3, I believe.

Just my experience and based on swing characteristics. Everyone else's mileage may vary.

#17 arydolphin

arydolphin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20809
  • Ebay ID:arydolphin
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all of the input.  I went with the 4-wood based on the recommendations given here, and because I wanted to go with one fairway wood because the next club in my bag is a 20 degree hybrid.  I haven't taken it out on the course yet, but I'm hitting it higher and farther at the range than my last 4-wood.  FYI, I'm a 12-handicap, so I'm definitely not as consistent as the most recent poster that chose the 3-wood, even though our swing speeds are pretty similar.

#18 eric6624

eric6624

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18532
  • Handicap:7.1
  • Ebay ID:Kellyjohnson34
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

handicap 6.2. i have a g15 5 wood (18.5) and it is a great club. i fly it 235 off the deck and can hit it both directions. i dropped my 3 wood to carry it. i think most higher handicap golfers feel like they hit their 4 or 5 wood further than their 3 wood is because they hit it straighter. the more the loft the straighter it goes, it has less sidespin than a 13 or 15 degree 3 wood. i carry driver, 5 wood , hybrid , then 4 iron and it has been a great set up for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors