Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping TFC Shaft Specs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TX Dawg

TX Dawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51019
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

I went to a Ping Demo Day last weekend and was trying to decide between the G15 and the i15 driver.  I had hit the i15 extensively, but only indoors.  My goal was to try multiple shafts and ultimately decide between the G and the i.

The Ping Rep was great.  Before I even hit a ball, we talked for about 5 minutes about what I was looking for and what my concerns were.  He had me hit both the i15 and the G15 with many different shafts.  He never told me what I was hitting - we just looked at ball flight and made changes based on what we saw.

The final result was that I was fitted for a 9* G15 with the TFC700 (stiff) tipped 1/2".  He recommended that I have the head digitally lofted to find the lowest head possible (I'm a high-ball hitter).  

My question is this:  The G15 retails with the TFC149 as the stock shaft.  What are the specs for each shaft?  Is the TFC700 a lower-launch/lower spin shaft than the TFC149?

I'm really looking forward to my FIRST Ping driver purchase, but want to be sure I'm making the right shaft choice before I pull the trigger.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1059

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

That Ping shaft in "S" is 60 grams with 5.3 torque. If I were to guess based on that shafts characteristics, the weight will benefit SS while the tipping will firm up the tip a tad, influencing tip spin. The added torque will help to square the club face at impact, possibly eliminating some fade or slice tendencies.

To answer your question IMO it's more of a mid-hi launch shaft with moderate spin characteristics, designed to fit a lot of people. That's not to say it's not a good shaft. I know a few people that like it.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#3 big hitter

big hitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102896

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

I had a similiar experience and eventualy settled on the same thing - 9 degree Ping G15 head with the stock TFC700 shaft.  I opted for X-flex but had considered going with the S flex and tipping it 1/2" as well.  

My SS is 108-110 with a moderate tempo and the stock TFC149 shaft felt a bit too light.  I have consulted with various Ping reps and they all say that this has been a successful combination for many higher swing speed players.  

I have had heard that Ping's torque rating is done differently than other shafts, so I wouldn't be concerned by the stated rating.  I found the shaft to hold up pretty well when I went after it.  I know there are probably better shafts out there, but I thought I'd give this a try first and see how it performs.

#4 TX Dawg

TX Dawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51019

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  My SS is 105 - 110 and I'm typically a high-ball hitter.  I'm hoping that the tipped TFC700 will help bring the ball flight and spin down a bit.

I loved the launch characteristics of the i15, but my swing just isn't consistent enough for it.

Do you know if the 700 is a "lower spin" shaft than the 149?

#5 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 12,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Ping defines torque like everyone else, least that what they say here: A measurement (in degrees) of how much a shaft will twist under a certain load. To test a shafts' torque rating, the butt of the shaft is attached to a fixture and a twisting force (4 ft./lbs.) is applied to the tip. The number of degrees the tip rotates is the torque rating.

Shafts with more torque generally feel softer since the shaft absorbs more vibration by flexing more around the axis (centerline) of the shaft, but are not as accurate when mis-hit.

When the OP talks of consistency, or lack there of it supports my belief... Shaft torque ratings below 3.5 shouldn't be as common as they are because most golfers need technological help getting the face square at impact.

ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#6 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

These Ping TFC shafts are interesting.  I've been testing out a couple of different shaft/head combinations on some used Ping G10 drivers, and have most lately been playing 9* heads with the Prolaunch Red and TFC 129D shafts, both in R flex.  According to the Ping specs, the PL Red Reg flex has a 3.0 torque and weighs 60g.  The TFC 129D Reg flex has a 4.6 torque and weighs 60g as well (the stiff 129D has a 4.1 torque and weighs 63g).  I'll be honest--I don't know my swing speed, since as a lefty, most stores never seem to be set up to test lefties.

I've only had a chance to play one round since I had the clubs, and I took the PL Red combo with me.  I hit more fairways then I generally do, but I still hit some bad drives, and I still tended to fade/slice which is my natural tendency.  The PL Red is obviously a stout shaft, and the low torque may be a bit much for me, but I think I could get used to it.  I hope to take the TFC 129D combo out for a round within a week or so.  I must say that whether it is the torque or some other factor, the TFC 129D is so flexible.  I can literally bend the thing easily with my hands, while the PL Red is certainly not that flexible.  

Now I will say that in my limited testing, I think it is a credit to Ping and whomever makes the different TFC shafts, that the shafts are this flexible and have such high torques, allowing the club to really lay into the ball, but without getting terribly sloppy.  If you felt the reg flex TFC shafts (and maybe even the stiff flex shafts which have high torue as well), I think many people would think they would be spraying the ball all over the place.  With some people I am sure that might be the actual case, but the TFC shafts really do play nicely.  And in my case, I suspect the high torque of the TFC shaft might help my slice/fade.  We'll see.
TM R9 Supertri TP 10.5*, X-Con 5 R
Cobra Bio Cell 17.5* FW
Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 22* Hybrid
Ping G25 Irons 4-UW, CFS S
TM Tour Preferred 54* and 58* Wedges
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2 CM Putter

#7 7464

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30969
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

View PostPepperturbo, on 02 June 2010 - 06:48 PM, said:

That Ping shaft in "S" is 60 grams with 5.3 torque.

Not sure what you are looking at (you gave the specs for the stock G15 shaft TFC149D) but the PING TFC700 (which is what TX DAWG was asking about) specs are as follows per the PING website:

Flex    Torque   Weight
Regular  4.6     60g
Stiff    4.1     63g
X-Stiff  3.6     68g
Callaway / X Hot / 3W / PXv Pro / 44in
Callaway / Apex / 3-SW / UST Recoil F4
Odyssey / Versa #1 Wide / 35in
Callaway / Hex Chrome

#8 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • 12,103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Something tells me the .350 tip adds to shaft stabilization; and why so many people hit stock OEM clubs like G10 and G15 better then heads with .335.
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#9 eltell

eltell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19999

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

Does any one no if a pro launch blue speed coat shaft will fit a ping anser. I have a Callaway 3 wood razr fit extrem but want to put the shaft in the ping so need to no if it will fit the ping sleeve thanks

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors