Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Comparing the Clicgear 2.0 vs 3.0

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TLovell

TLovell

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65749
  • Ebay ID:volumnus83
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

I recently purchased a Clicgear 3.0 for myself and gave my 2.0 to my son who is about to start his second season on the Tennessee junior summer golf tour.  I have owned and played extensively with the (now his) 2.0 for about 1 1/2 years.

Firstly, the model 2.0 is a fantastic cart.  I like everything about it except, perhaps, the tight fit of the console.  I would be proud to own if they never made any additional improvements.

After my first round today with the 3.0 I observed the following differences, advantages, and disadvantages compared to the 2.0 model.

Advantages

1.  The console of the 3.0 is significately bigger.  On the 2.0 I was barely able to fit my Nikon rangefinder, one ball, and a can of dip.  The 3.0 console seems twice larger than the 2.0.  Much of this added space was accomplished by moving the beverage holder to the side and putting the brake below the console.  With the added storage net below I was able to secure my rangefinder there with no worries of it bouncing out or banging around in the hard plastic console.  That left room to put 3 balls, my wallet, keys and have plenty of room left over for whatever you want.

2.  Storage net:  While not as big as that of the Sun Mountain cart, it easly stored my rangefinder and towel.  I also found it to be a great place to rest the putterhead cover and smaller headcovers like hybrid and 5-wood.  It isn't big enough to fit a large sweater (I think) but that can go in the bag anyway.

3.  Brake:  I didn't have any problems with the brake design of the 2.0 but the brake design of the 3.0 is different.  I actually find it slightly more difficult to reach under the console to engage the brake compared to the pull an rotate design on the 2.0.  Once I got used to the design it was fine.  Disengaging the brake is easier though, as one only has to flip it downward with minimal effort and off you go.

4.  Handle material:  While not as cushy soft as the 3.0 the material is obviously much more durable.  After only one season with the 2.0 I had to wrap a couple of places where the material was torn with electrical tape to keep it from tearing further.

5.  Tires:  The 3.0 tires are slightly different in that they are designed with a continuous "flat spot" in the center of the tire that makes the cart roll smoother over hard ground or concrete.  The difference appears subtle but I appreciated a noticable advantage compared to the 2.0 tire design on hard surfaces.

6.  Push button front wheel pivot:  I wasn't able discern a big advantage here compared to the 2.0 other than providing free clearance between the brake hub and the red plastic pivot release on the 2.0 cart.  On my 2.0 the brake hub would slightly rub against the red pivot release, a problem I solved by grinding away a bit of plastic on the side of the release to free it from the brake hub.  The new design of the 3.0 eliminates this potential problem.

7.  Main hinge lever:  Much more ergonomic compare to the 2.0.  The new design is easier to use and virtually eliminates the possibility of pinching your fingers when closing the hinge lever.

8.  Scorecard holder:  The scorecard holder is bigger on the 3.0.  I only notice this because the club where I play has a very large scorecard that I would have to make additional folds to in order to fit it under the bunge strap of the 2.0 cart.  With the 3.0 it fits perfectly without any "alterations".

Disadvantages

I am not sure that I like the new beverage holder mounted on the side via an "accesory tab".  I always carry a large bottle of "smart water" when I play.  It is a tall, 33oz bottle that fits easliy in the holder but it is top heavy and has the tendency, when completely full, to tip over because the cupholder rotates around the attachment point.  With the 2.0 that same bottle was secure in the beverage holder.

Summary

Both carts are fantastic.  Well made, impressively designed, durable, and highly functional.  I like the 3.0 better due to the storage net where I will keep my rangefinder, larger console and more durable handle material.  The new tire design is also nice as well as the brake.  If I decide to add other accesories (sand bottle or another beverage holder) three additional attachment points are already there which is nice.  

If I owned a 2.0 and didn't need another cart I probably wouldn't upgrade to the 3.0.  On the other hand, if I were purchasing a Clicgear for the first time the improved features of the 3.0 are easily worth the extra $30.00 in my opinion.

Edited by TLovell, 30 May 2010 - 02:55 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 748

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Good review.... I pretty much reached the same conclusion..... not worth it to upgrade, but likely worth the extra few dollars if you don't have a cart. I'll be sticking with my 2.0 until it breaks.

IMO, console size is overrated for the most part. I can see it for a large rangefinder or something needed often during the round, but wallets, keys, or backup anythings can easily be stored in the bag sitting on the cart

#3 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 619

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

Anyone ever wear out the tires on their Clicgear (I bought the 3.0)?  I am looking long term as I had (still have) my BB Automatic and went through 3 sets of tires and at least 4 sets of bearings in 20 years.  I assume replacements are available and will be available for foreseeable future.

One thing I wish they had done was made the tires narrower.  It would reduce the rolling resistance especially in the rough.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#4 peterbride

peterbride

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95771
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

I got the 2.0 this past winter after asking a few different golf shops if clicgear was coming out with a 3.0 and they all said no.  Then like 2 months later the 3.0 arrived.  I was upset at first, but it doesn't seem like there is that big a difference between the two.  The mesh net would be nice.  I use a rangefinder as well and i hang it from one of the hooks on the 2.0, but it would be nice to keep it in a net as mine will not fit in the console.   I lovethe cart though, so glad I didnt't get the Sun Mountain as I need the space in my car.  Also, every place I went to was trying to talk me into the microcart, the 4 wheeled cart by SM.  I am glad I trusted my senses as that thing looks like a baby stroller.  I see they have since been reduced in price, not catching on I guess.  Anyways, thanks for the review, very helpful.

#5 Obiwan21

Obiwan21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97191
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Nice review. I'm contemplating upgrading to a 3.0 from a 2.0 mainly because my wife has gotten into golfing and now she needs a cart and I'm back to having to rent her the crappy ones from the course, which is the reason I got myself a Clicgear last year.

#6 TLovell

TLovell

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

View Postsocrates, on 28 May 2010 - 09:18 PM, said:

Anyone ever wear out the tires on their Clicgear (I bought the 3.0)?  I am looking long term as I had (still have) my BB Automatic and went through 3 sets of tires and at least 4 sets of bearings in 20 years.  I assume replacements are available and will be available for foreseeable future.

One thing I wish they had done was made the tires narrower.  It would reduce the rolling resistance especially in the rough.

This is my second season with the 2.0 and I can't detect any significant wear yet.   The bearings are sealed so I really don't anticipate any problems there.  Replacement tires are available from Clicgear.

#7 TLovell

TLovell

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

View PostObiwan21, on 29 May 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

Nice review. I'm contemplating upgrading to a 3.0 from a 2.0 mainly because my wife has gotten into golfing and now she needs a cart and I'm back to having to rent her the crappy ones from the course, which is the reason I got myself a Clicgear last year.

So let me get this straight - you are playing with the Clicgear and renting the Model-T pullcarts from the course for the Mrs?  

Here is some free advice and worth every penny - pull the trigger fast on a new Clicgear in your wife's favorite color.  Tie a pretty bow around it somewhere and stick some flowers in the cupholder

You are living on borrowed time.

Edited by TLovell, 30 May 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#8 mizuno8

mizuno8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79106
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Great review.
Thanks.

One question that I have is at what point does purchasing the cart make scense?
I walk maybe 6-8 rounds a year. I normally rent a pull cart for 2-5 dollars each time.

I'm thinking of getting a cart, but I would probably have to use the cart for 5 years before I break even.
One question is if the cart would last that long to make it worth while.
Any thoughts?

Edited by mizuno8, 18 June 2010 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors