Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putting a .335 wood shaft in a hybrid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nichdl1

nichdl1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103541
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

I am interested in knowing if anyone has had any luck with putting a .335 wood shaft into a hybrid that takes a .335 shaft.  I would be interested in how much tipping you did, more or less than a fairway wood?  Do you have to buy a shaft that is made especially for a hybrid?  or can you just cut down a .335 wood shaft?

Does anyone know the difference between a .335 wood shaft and a .335 hybrid shaft?  I know the hybrid is shorter, but is it the same shaft that's been cut down?  If so, which end has the length come from, the tip or the butt?

Thanks,

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 300

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

I think you are mistaken, there are not many .335" hbyrid shafts, none that I know of. I think you mean .355" hybrid shafts. Most Hybrid shafts are .350-.355 or .370. You can put a regular wood shaft in a hybrid but you'd have to shim it and the wood shaft has a profile for a larger wood. Which shaft specifically were you thinking about? You'd probably have to tip it a good 1"-2" to get it to play to an acceptable flex. Some wood shafts are really tip stiff and by tipping it 2" you might actually cut our the tip stiff section and it will play softer than you think. The kickpoint would be much much higher cutting down a long wood shaft.
'07 Burner TP 8.5 w/ RUL60x
'08 Burner 14.5/17.5 w/ p9003x
Vsteel 7W 21 w/ Oban Devotion 75x
Cleveland 588MB w/ Modus 130 Proto
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 48/52/56
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach

#3 nichdl1

nichdl1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103541
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

No.  I really do mean a .335 shaft.  Wishon makes a nice hybrid club that takes a .335 shaft.  I have a 21 degree 3 hybrid that I am looking to get a shaft for.  For example, the V2 comes in a .335 hybrid config.  I was just wondering what would happen if I used a .335 wood shaft.

#4 ode1

ode1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Sure I've had success w/ this in the past.  I've also shimmed .335 wood shafts into a .370 hybrid for greater launch w/ some success as well.  In both cases the rule of thumb that I use is to go by the weight of the club head that you're putting the shaft into.  So if the hybrid head weight is equal that of a 7 wood, then tip trim as it were a 7 wood.

Just make sure that the shaft you buy has enought PTS to accomadate a heavier head.  Some shafts are driver only or no tip trim or only have a very short PTS and would only work in a  driver, 3wd, 5wd or very lite hybrid.  

.335 hybrid/fwy specific shafts are made for a heavier head in minde and therefor won't need to be tipped as much or at all depending on the head it goes into.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors