Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do the hands "drop" in the downswing?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cwdlaw223

cwdlaw223

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51249
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Do the pros just let gravity take over and their hands drop?  If so, what pivoting motion have they done to allow their hands to drop and then rotate through impact?  Does the left hand drop palm down?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Smitty78

Smitty78

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103928

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I can't speak for the pros but........ along with a lateral movement to the left by my lower body, I like to have the sensation of pulling the but of the club straight down with my left hand/side. As long as I keep my torso rotating "through and beyond" the club face will square.

#3 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Turn your back to the target and try to keep back turned as long as you can.

Your hands should pull the club down - like you are pulling a rope of a church bell.

#4 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14712
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Just got done with a lesson on this.  I found an effect drill to get the feel is to hit little chip shots with the right hand only (for a right hander.)  It really promotes the correct roll 'feel' through impact.

#5 e fudd

e fudd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102911
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

I think the short answer is that the 'drop' is definitely a reaction as opposed to an action.  it is simply the transiton phase between the two planes of the golf swing--the takeaway plane and the attack plane.

I find that the best way to feel it happen is to combine the baseball swing with the golf swing; two very technically similar actions that occur on two different planes.  

Grab a bat (or choke up on a wedge with a baseball grip) and get ready to hit a line drive over the pitchers head.  When you're all set and ready to pull the trigger, move your hands into the golf address position without changing your grip or your lower body position.  

Now, taking the "club" straight back away from the imaginary golf ball, make a SLOW AND EASY swing with relaxed hands and you'll see how the 'drop' happens on its own.  

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

#6 mngolfguy

mngolfguy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33595
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Actually just watched a video that touched on this on SI.com

My link

#7 HoganAfficianado

HoganAfficianado

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51606
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

this can be a death move IMO for certain swings. The drop happens when there is lateral movement, not independent movement by the arms. A lot of the time people over do it and start getting stuck if they work on "dropping it in the slot" too much. I try to be in a position at the top so I can just think rotate but there is still going to be a lateral shift. If you're working on swinging more around your body, dropping the club or using gravity might not be the bet swing thought.

#8 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

Gravity doesn't work and isn't realistic.  If you're body is moving on the downswing, you'd better be pulling both arms or they're going to get left behind.

Edited by Buzzkill, 15 May 2010 - 12:42 AM.

Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#9 fanofsaosin

fanofsaosin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27959
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

With the arms pulling they have to match the speed of the lateral rotation to the left or else it can be left behind or to far ahead of the pivot

#10 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:up
GolfWRX Likes : 1102

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Get your mind off your hands and into the bump-turn of your lower body/left hip and the hands will passively drop as a reaction to having "nothing to do for a second while they wait on the lower body turn"

Now as someone else mentioned, dropping hands is not always a good thing for everyone's swing.  Not all pro's have that Love, Garcia, CHIII hand drop.  You may not want it.  You just want a smooth and slow change of direction.

Titleist 915d3 8.5* Diamana White
Titleist 915f Diamana Blue
Titleist 915hd Diamana Blue
Titleist AP2 714 DG-S300
Titleist Vokey 50/54/60 DG-S300
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 cwdlaw223

cwdlaw223

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51249

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Good thought.  I'm convinced that the really good pros don't have that clubhead throwaway at the top of their swing and keep the swing on plane by not casting (hence, the drop request).

#12 upanddown

upanddown

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2043
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

A lot of instructors like Leadbetter, David Lee and Redmond (sp?, can't remember his name, taught Paul Azinger) will say that they drop from gravity.  Others like John Jacobs will say you swing them down but I like Jim Hardy's "karate chop" description.

#13 caryk

caryk

Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!!! ;)

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4000
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

This explanation by Steven Bann has always helped me.  It's just the reverse for the downswing ... the arms/hands drop while the body turns.  So the role of the arms/hands is to lift/lower the club vertically during the swing while the role of the body is to turn back and thru horizontally.

My instructor teaches along this same line of thinking so in the downswing, he has me feeling like I'm always hammering something into the ground at various points during the downswing while my body is turning left.  Very easy to understand and works like a charm.

Edited by caryk, 16 May 2010 - 09:42 AM.

#14 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107841
  • Ebay ID:ioda_42

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Speaking of Steve Bann, check out this video of him helping an LPGA pro work on her left hip "bump" to start the downswing.  This is what I've been working on in order to let my hands "drop" in the downswing and I think this looks like a pretty good way to get the feel going.  

#15 Gravity

Gravity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134735

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

I think the hardest concept to grasp is the passive role of the arms on the downswing and just let gravity take over. For me it's a concept I've never properly executed. I envision the club parallel to the ground/horizon at the top of the backswing and then the infamous "bump" and supposedly, magically the hands "drop". If I did that at the top of may backswing my hands would fall to my shoulders (down) since that's where they are. If their is a "drop" it must occur when the arms are waist high and the club vertical. Am I mssing something here?

#16 AFcelica

AFcelica

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1627
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

i think gravity isn't the best explination... from the top of your backswing just slow motion pivot while trying to keep your arms and hands in place, it doesn't happen they will drop because of the rotation of your body, or because your hands are attached to your arms which are attached to your torso by the shoulders, if your torso turns the shoulders will too and the arms/hands/clubs MUST move or drop. its impossible for them not to. the challenge is keeping them "infront" of your torso so you can unwind. which is done differently depending on what kind of swing theory you've prescribed to.

edit: most pro's that are more rotary type swingers the arms don't actively do anything (pull/push etc) on the downswing. while people like tom watson or DL3 will pull/push with the arms. kind of pivot driven arms vs arms driven pivot respectively.

Edited by AFcelica, 31 July 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#17 Lefthook

Lefthook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101445
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

cwdlaw223, on 14 May 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

Do the pros just let gravity take over and their hands drop?  If so, what pivoting motion have they done to allow their hands to drop and then rotate through impact?  Does the left hand drop palm down?

It happens when you bump your hips forward and leave your shoulders back & centered. The hip bump tightens up your pivot so that the shoulders - and arms - and hands - and club head - becomes more responsive to what you do with the big muscles during the down stroke.

#18 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Good video. I guess I need a beach ball.:D
G30 10* vs G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20*,  K15 23* & 27* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
STX Profit 6 vs Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#19 eqman

eqman

Whynot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124602
  • Ebay ID:No oob
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

Lefthook, on 31 July 2011 - 05:47 PM, said:

cwdlaw223, on 14 May 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

It happens when you bump your hips forward and leave your shoulders back & centered. The hip bump tightens up your pivot so that the shoulders - and arms - and hands - and club head - becomes more responsive to what you do with the big muscles during the down stroke.

+1 thats it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

rebfactor

GolfWRX Sponsors