Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Easiest Putter To Judge Distance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 5under

5under

5under

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79674
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

What is the easiest putter to use to hit putts the correct distance?
I see a lot of Heavy Putters on the market and think the extra weight may help to steady the club head path and create more center face contact.
The extra weight seams like it would impart more inertia or force to the putt and make it more difficult to judge distance.
I like to over exaggerate in my mind to predict possible results.
Imagine putting with a 5 pound sledge hammer.
It seems it would be difficult to feel much difference between a swing that causes the putt to roll 30 feet and a putt that rolls 20 feet.
Now over exaggerate the other way.
Lets say you have a putter that has a hollow head with thin walls like a moder driver head and it only weights 115 grams which is about 1/3 the weight of the average moder putter.
I can imagine that off center hits would be very penalizing because of the lack of inertia or force delivered to the ball.
I would also imagine that if you could hit the center or sweet spot every time, the lower weight would help to judge the correct back swing or effort needed to roll the putts the correct distance.
A 10 foot putt might take the same effort putting stroke that a 30 foot putt required with your average weight putter.
A 8 foot putt might take the same effort putting stroke that a 24 foot putt required with your average weight putter etc...
It seems like the lighter the putter is the easier it would be to judge the distance with.
I think there is a happy medium though.
If your putter was too light it would be very difficult to judge how much effort to use to hit lets say a 30 foot putt.
You would have to hit the 30 foot putt with the same effort that you would have used to hit a 90 putt with your old average weight putter.

I came up with this whole idea knowing that correct distance judgment is more important than judging the correct line.
If you always hit your straight 20 foot putts the correct distance, lets say 18 inches past the hole, you could miss your line 2 feet left or right (which I consider a fairly poor putt) and still end up within about 3 feet of the hole.
If you make the same degree of a mistake on your distance judgment you would be maybe 6 to 8 feet short or past the hole.

Edited by 5under, 14 May 2010 - 06:16 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

The one you stroke the best.  

How do you figure that out?  Try alot of them.  True story.  

You are correct though, the correct distance (speed is the term most folks use) is more important than line because the line will vary depending on the speed with which you strike the putt.

#3 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I used to think this was ... and it was ... a great putter for distance putts.

Posted Image

But I do fine with my WRX Redwoods.
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#4 EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29199
  • Ebay ID:calisnaps
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

I like heavier milled putters, I had a very light mallet putter and it was horrible, I had no distance control... Switched to a mallet putter with a 345g milled head and it was an instant improvement.

I have now switched to a milled blade putter with the same success, my distance control is great... now if i could just read a green!

#5 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

View PostAsleep, on 14 May 2010 - 06:47 PM, said:

I used to think this was ... and it was ... a great putter for distance putts.

Posted Image

But I do fine with my WRX Redwoods.

You could not hit a bad putt with that.  The only way was if you misjudged the speed.  It would roll the ball damn near perfect every time.  It was absolutely ridiculous the roll that thing put on the ball.

#6 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3075

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

Controlling speed is a matter of making consistently good contact with the ball. You'll never control it if you are hitting all over the face. That said, I really like my Snake Eyes (check sig.). It made the Golf Digest (or was that Magazine?) Hot List. I have a True Temper Straight In 200 gram shaft and I think it is excellent in terms of distance control. I have tried all the other putters (Odyssey, YES, etc.) and this one is way better.
PING Anser 8.5/Ahina 70x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX 6.5 Satin Prototype
Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#7 Jim In SC

Jim In SC

JiminSC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97021
  • Ebay ID:jimschill
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

Golly, had a terrible putting round yesterday in 1st round of 2 day tournament.  May have to bring the Doc 17 out of retirement.Posted Image

#8 hougy12

hougy12

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17836
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

For me mallets are terrible for judging distance and for whatever reason I'm not so good with a heavier putter.  I currently play a Ping i-series Anser 4.  From what I can gather, it's not a 350g head or anything sexy looking (cameron, etc) or have the best feel, but I make putts and that's what matters.  So the best advice was already given above by rblmp32....trial and error.  Find out what works for you.

#9 FarFromScratch

FarFromScratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74130
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

I'll second MadGolfer on the Snake Eyes 7801. I played the first round with mine yesterday, made several more 6-10 ft. putts than usual and my distance control on lag putts was way better than usual. The new putter is also two inches shorter and a bit heavier than my old one, fyi.

#10 johnburgelin

johnburgelin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86538
  • Ebay ID:jpbd39
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Personally for me, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not it's a blade or mallet, heavy or light. I have a spalding TPM that's a light blade and I put amazing with it. I also had a guerin rife mallet that was heavy and I putted great with that one too. For me it just seems to be if I'm putting with something and thinking that it's too heavy or light or thinking about the design, I put like crap. So I've just got to use putters that don't make me think about anything but rolling the ball in the whole.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors