Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Butt Trimming - Impact??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WRXClarky

WRXClarky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105098
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

OK, I am getting two completely different answers to this question. I have asked here before and been told that if I trim 1/2 to 1 full inch on the butt of an untipped 46 inch Diamana Redboard Stiff that it will increase the stiffness of the shaft a fair bit.

I have now been told by a clubmaker/fixer locally that it will not significantly affect the flex of the club.

Can anyone give me the definitive answer as to what effect either a 1/2 inch and/or also a 1 inch butt only trim would have on my club. I am just looking to shorten the length of my driver a bit for more accuracy but don't want to affect my stiffness too much.

Any help is appreciated.

Ping G25 Dig Loft 12* UST VTS TourSPX 5S
Adams Tight Lies 16 / 22
Callaway Apex 4-PW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Mizuno MP R-12 49/54/59/64 Nippon 1150
Bettinardi Signature Series 6 Midslim2.0
SM Four 5, Srixon Z Star XV, Hirzl Feel

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ping8153

ping8153

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104595
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

From what I understand it will not change the flex, if at all a small bit.  What will happen though is by cutting off 1/2 to 1 inch off the butt it will change the swing weight.

#3 caboom42

caboom42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41409
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

from what ive read and my understanding is that trimming 1/2 or an inch off the butt end of a shaft will prob not change shaft flex by itself, but like the above poster stated, you will change the swing weight by 3 pts per 1/2 inch, which may be significant for you in terms of feel...now if you add weight to the tip of the shaft or the head of the club (1 swing weight pt per 2 grams added to the head) the shaft may actually play softer than before, and cutting off an inch and adding 12gms to the head is quite a bit, if you want to trim an inch, i would consider tip trimming also to keep the stiffness up after you add weight, im no expert, but this is what ive read and experienced myself...

#4 WRXClarky

WRXClarky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105098
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

OK, thanks.

So, my next question is, what effect will say an inch off the butt with the corresponding change in swing weight, have on my club if I don't add any weight to the head.

I have really no experience with this at all. Will the lower swing weight increase distance, increase dispersion, etc. What?

Thanks.
Ping G25 Dig Loft 12* UST VTS TourSPX 5S
Adams Tight Lies 16 / 22
Callaway Apex 4-PW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Mizuno MP R-12 49/54/59/64 Nippon 1150
Bettinardi Signature Series 6 Midslim2.0
SM Four 5, Srixon Z Star XV, Hirzl Feel

#5 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

I have been dealing with this scenario for some time now..   I just ordered a new supertri due to the crazy length of driver shafts these days.  Lets say the club plays 45.75 and you cut the shaft 1" [butt trimming] it will play mildley stiffer than before, however the above poster is correct the swingweight will go down.  So if you add weights or additional weight to the head via MWT will it play as stock?  That's the $$$  question, how do these tour guys play a 44.5 club with the same feel, flex and swingweight?   I suppose you tip trim .25 and butt trim .75 and add weight to the head to get the swingweight back up.  I have also heard you do not want to change the grip weight as backweighting the club would have a deletrious effect.  

Ping I25 10.5 Attas Gogo 5S
X2Hot 3 Deep 757 Speeder
Ping G25 hybrid 20*
Mizuno Mx-300 4-GW
SM2 Vokeys 54* & 60*
Bettinardi Tour Stock 5 DASS

#6 cwdlaw223

cwdlaw223

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51249
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

Phil Mickelson actually had a head "cracked open" and weight put inside the head.  Nobody can do this but a few guys at Callaway (whoch probably have special equipment).  These guys get perfect clubs and don't rely on "rat glue" to add weight to the head to get the swingweight they want.  I also suspect they use multiple free shafts to get the frequency perfect and don't rely on the R/S/X stamps on graphite shafts.  Perfect world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors