Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How far SHOULD I hit my wedges?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 demclimber

demclimber

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82325
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

How far should I hit my wedges, sand wedge in particular? I feel like I'm a fairly average-distance mid-handicap player (currently 13.2). My 7-iron is my standard 150-155 yard club. I hit a full 54 degree sand wedge 85 yards. I play Ping G10 irons, a half inch long (I'm 6'2"), which have a 46-degree PW (115-120) and I use the 50-degree GW (105), so I go with 54 and 58 degree Vokey Spin Milled wedges.

I can't seem to hit my full sand wedge more than 85 yards. If I have anything more than that I have to open up and/or grip down on my gap wedge. Are the Vokeys that much shorter? Is it the extra half inch? Am I not hitting them right?

Not that I need to his a sand wedge 140 like some folks claim to, but a full 95 or 100 would be nice to have if I need it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bradski

bradski

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I would say 100 is within reason.   But based on your 7i distance I would say 95ish would be about right.  

How far should you be able to hit it?   1- 100 yards..   depends on how far your trying to.  

Try moving the ball back in your stance or hitting a draw.  .  keeping hands in front.   knocking it down.   ect ect........

#3 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

The vokeys are much less forgiving than the G10.... Adding the half inch might get you up to 90 yds, but 85 isn't that bad. At 90, it ought to fit your progression well judging by the 7 iron and gap wedge distances. Moving the ball back a bit might add some distance as well.

#4 Mr Sir

Mr Sir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86382
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

So you are playing a four wedge system?

46* - 120
50* - 105
54* - 85
58* - around 70

That looks alright to me. Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, why would you want to hit your 54* the same distance as your 50*?

#5 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

I feel your pain

I am a 12.4 and swing my 7i about 90mph (from Ping N Flight center fitting result) carry about 150 to 155 like you.

When it comes to full wedge shots, for some reason I swing about 67mph for my 53degree scratch wedge and hard time to carry
about 100yrds.

I have done some extensive work on this and the result isn't the wedge nor the techique.... more to my mind set babying the full wedgeshots being afraid of skull or fat shots.

Some of my good friends telling me to hit it without too much thinking but that has been problem for me recently.

I guess I wasn't the only one with this issue

#6 shortstop20

shortstop20

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76885
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

With that 7 iron distance, I think 90 yards is about all you can expect from your 54 degree sand wedge.

Edited by shortstop20, 03 May 2010 - 03:51 PM.

#7 masterli

masterli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41139
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

does sound a bit off to me. you're at least a club a club longer than me and stroke better index. i'm around 145yd for my 7i. i hit a full 58* just over 80 (though pretty much never try a full 58* shot during a round). I go w/ 51* (bent from 52*) & 58* vokey. However, I matched the shafts and length (-.5") of my vokey's to my mizzies. The progression feels really natural assuming I hit it in the middle. Does your flight look really different between your PW and Vokey's? If not maybe it is just that half inch along w/ good contact. It's cheap to have an extension installed and totally worth trying. If the flights are different maybe it's the shaft?

#8 demclimber

demclimber

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82325
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I am playing 4 wedges, but with the strong lofts in the Pings I basically consider the PW to be a 10-iron and rarely use it for short game shots.

I'd like to hit the 54 a little longer and a little lower because I get significantly more spin with it than with the Pings. I can back a ball up with the Vokeys if I need/want to, the Pings I can just stop. If I could expand its range out to close to 100 yards I feel it could be an even better weapon for me. I suppose I could also trade the GW in for a Vokey 50-degree, or go PW-52-58 (and 62? Hybrid?).

I'm hearing play it a little more back and play a low trap draw to get a little more wedge distance. I currently play it in the middle of a slightly narrower than shoulder width stance for a full wedge swing. Anything else?

#9 bradski

bradski

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

narrow stance and middle is probably making it ride up the face a little and losing yard's/   I would always play a wedge at least 2inches back of center.  I can play mine further back if needed.  also the stance will give you a steeper angle to the ball likely.   try a little wider.  shoulder width apart.

#10 TCMP

TCMP

Disguised

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

5 HDCP. 160 carry 7 iron

PW 45*: 120
GW 49*: 110
SW 54*: 100
LW 58*: 85

These are smooth swing distances. Your distances do not seem far off from what they should be.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:00 AM

View Postdemclimber, on 03 May 2010 - 03:33 PM, said:

How far should I hit my wedges, sand wedge in particular? I feel like I'm a fairly average-distance mid-handicap player (currently 13.2). My 7-iron is my standard 150-155 yard club. I hit a full 54 degree sand wedge 85 yards. I play Ping G10 irons, a half inch long (I'm 6'2"), which have a 46-degree PW (115-120) and I use the 50-degree GW (105), so I go with 54 and 58 degree Vokey Spin Milled wedges.

I can't seem to hit my full sand wedge more than 85 yards. If I have anything more than that I have to open up and/or grip down on my gap wedge. Are the Vokeys that much shorter? Is it the extra half inch? Am I not hitting them right?

Not that I need to his a sand wedge 140 like some folks claim to, but a full 95 or 100 would be nice to have if I need it.

A pure guess - but you're probably "flipping" at the ball on all your clubs.  I'm 5'8" and hit weaker lofted clubs as long as you that are 1/2" shorter than standard (Mizunos which are shorter than most already) and I hit a 56* 90 yards on a smooth swing.   So you are 6" taller, with a 1" longer clubs that are bent stronger - and we're the same distance?  No way.  :)  You probably are picking it or doing something in your swing.  If you learn to hit an iron a little better - I bet you pick up 10-15 yards EASILY without changing anything else.

Just some easy suggestions for 8 iron (easy to hit club) and SW - but can be used for all clubs where the ball is on the turf:

1) put the ball in the middle of your stance (farther forward for 7--5 irons; and farther still for long irons/hybrids woods)
2) narrow your stance - narrower stance naturally will promotes a steeper angle of decent
3) Some swing cues to alleviate flipping and/or hit it more solidly:  1) hit the ball with a bowed left wrist;  2) at impact point the label of your glove down the target line; 3) imagine a person is standing about 6 feet in front of you on the target line - hit the ball between their legs, not over their head; from the top of your backswing - imagine it's a race b/t your hands and your clubhead, and you want your hands to win the race past the ball (imagine dragging the clubhead through the ball; 4) try to drag your left knuckles through impact; and 5) point your chest at the ball at impact.

4) make sure your "full swing" goes from hands over your right shoulder, to hands over your left shoulder (don't give it a 1/2 swing for example).

Flipping robs distance most noticeably from a shorter clubs - and likewise a properly struck wedge will gain the most distance.

That being said....if your distances are accurate and reliable - then don't change anything.  It's more important to hit the shot reliably, than far.

Good luck.

Edited by ChipDriver, 04 May 2010 - 06:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors