Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ryder Cup Captain Selection Process

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I was always curious why some players with relatively modest careers (Sutton - 1 major, 14 wins, Lehman - 5 tour wins, 1 major, Pavin - 1 major, Azinger - 1 major), have been selected as Ryder Cup captains ahead of some players with equal, or better careers, (Hale Irwin, 3 Majors and 20 Victories, Hubie Green - 19 Victories, 2 majors, Larry Nelson - 3 Majors, Craig Stadler - Major, US Am, 2 Sr, Majors , Mark Calcavecchia - major plus 13 titles, Lee Janzen - 2 Majors plus Players Championship, Fuzzy Zoeller - 2 Majors.

I understand some players are still active like Love, Couples and Calcavecchia, but so was Lehman and Pavin is to some extent.  Some may still get the nod, but time has clearly passed Irwin, Nelson, Green, Stadler and Zoeller by.  Is it a case of players who did not want the job?  Is it who is "connected"?  Lehman probably has the most marginal career of anyone I mentioned.  Irwin, Nelson and Green clearly had the credentials.

Edited by yuck, 19 April 2010 - 07:37 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 CryMeARiver

CryMeARiver

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98108
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

A good career is only a small part of being selected a Ryder Cup captain. The job requires at least a one year commitment to manage everything from planning meetings with the PGA, publicity and speaking engagements, player interaction, travel, equipment and wardrobe selection, etc... Not everyone is willing to do this...

#3 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

View PostCryMeARiver, on 19 April 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

A good career is only a small part of being selected a Ryder Cup captain. The job requires at least a one year commitment to manage everything from planning meetings with the PGA, publicity and speaking engagements, player interaction, travel, equipment and wardrobe selection, etc... Not everyone is willing to do this...

Good Point,

I can see how Stadler, Calcavecchia and Zoeller would opt out of the commitment.  I guess I would have thought Nelson, Irwin or Green would have wanted it.

#4 tElihu

tElihu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I'm not sure who would turn down a chance to captain the Ryder Cup, but if Irwin wasn't asked at least once it was a crime. I'm also pretty sure Larry Nelson wanted to be captain, and given his tour and Ryder Cup record, was more qualified than Lehman (5 tour wins) and Azinger (losing Ryder Cup record).

#5 bucky316

bucky316

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3514
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

It's mostly a popularity contest with a players resume also a part of the equation...

....read somewhere that Irwin, for example, wasn't well liked by his peers

#6 bermuda

bermuda

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42877
  • Ebay ID:al_neri
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

I read the PGA wants someone in his late 40s. Not sure why. I have also read during the Pavin selection that Nelson really wanted and deserved to be captain, but was past the preferred age range.

#7 hef63303

hef63303

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9365
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

It is typically someone that has won the PGA Championship also. Not always the case, but it helps the cause.

#8 PavinsHat

PavinsHat

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97221
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

When you think about it, the PGA of America has done everything in its power to handicap our golfers in the Ryder Cup over the last 25 years. From denying Paul Azinger a spot in '87 over a stupid technicality to making Lanny Wadkins captain which cost the U.S. the '95 RC to the idiotic decision of making Hal Sutton a captain...the list goes on and on. I could also mention picking venues based not on giving the Americans a competitive edge but on bolstering the PGA of America's own bottom lines. Their dissing of Larry Nelson is a disgrace, not only because he's an army veteran and a class guy but because he's possibly the best Ryder Cupper we've ever had. If I were Nelson and I got a captain invite for '12 I'd tell those tablecloth jacketed punks to take a flying leap in the nearest gator infested pond.

#9 Lundingolfer

Lundingolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10459
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostPavinsHat, on 21 April 2010 - 02:44 PM, said:

When you think about it, the PGA of America has done everything in its power to handicap our golfers in the Ryder Cup over the last 25 years. From denying Paul Azinger a spot in '87 over a stupid technicality to making Lanny Wadkins captain which cost the U.S. the '95 RC to the idiotic decision of making Hal Sutton a captain...the list goes on and on. I could also mention picking venues based not on giving the Americans a competitive edge but on bolstering the PGA of America's own bottom lines. Their dissing of Larry Nelson is a disgrace, not only because he's an army veteran and a class guy but because he's possibly the best Ryder Cupper we've ever had. If I were Nelson and I got a captain invite for '12 I'd tell those tablecloth jacketed punks to take a flying leap in the nearest gator infested pond.
I guess we learned from you guys we picked Nick arent I fabulous Faldoooo....................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors