Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ball Position Way Back in Stance with All Irons

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IHeart3Putting

IHeart3Putting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106200
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone, new member here. I recently took a golf lesson (only been playing for 1 year) and the pro suggested I put the ball on all irons between the middle of my stance and my back foot. I've always been taught that the ball position should should be 2 inches from the left heel or at the shirt logo for irons (i'm right handed). I was striking the ball with much more consistency with the ball in the back of the stance. I hit no fat shots and I noticed by looking at the club face I really hit down on the ball and compressed it.

Does anyone else play with the ball positioned way more back in their stance?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Cut Off 6-iron

Cut Off 6-iron

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96560
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think you were hitting up on it slightly and he thought this was the way to get you out of thinking that way. If it worked, stick to it

#3 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

I notice several pros playing the ball well back in the stance even with the driver. I play my irons back a bit especially the shorter irons. Only problem I have with that is it makes hitting a fade a tad difficult.

#4 buttuh

buttuh

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66596
  • Ebay ID:goonies2000
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

This worked for me for a while and then I started hooking my mid and long irons.  Now everything is back to the middle for me.  A little back if I want to draw/hook and a little bit forward if I want to fade/slice.  Still haven't figured out the ideal position for my driver yet though.

#5 happyroman

happyroman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54651
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Playing the ball back that far seems to be as either a drill or for specialty shots.  For all standard shots struck off the turf, I play my iron shots with the leading edge of the club in the middle of my stance. For hybrids and fairway woods struck off the turf, the center of the clubhead is in the center of my stance.  When I hit the driver, 3-wood, or hybrids off the tee, the ball is opposite my left instep.

Here's a couple of videos by Shawn Clement that I found helpful.

http://www.youtube.c.../10/Q6ir7nSa6i0

http://www.youtube.c...h/1/OsMtpRwVawk

http://www.youtube.c...h/5/REMGTrwc0qA

#6 Quipper

Quipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173277
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Went to range today and hit all irons (3-PW Ping i20) and wedges (Titelist Vokey) and hit them all from middle of stance to slightly back and every one was struck solid....even was hittin the 3 and 4 irons sweet as h*** playin them in middle of stance...Driver and 3 metal...just a ball or two from middle and even was hitting them crisp and solid....if I play anything too far up in stance...it just reaks havoc with me.....playing to about a 3 or 4 handicap I am craving getting to scratch again....and today was a great step in that direction!!!!! :)

#7 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2720

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

It just means you have a very inside path and use you hands to square the club.  Farther back ball position matches that and makes it easier for you to get to the ball.
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#8 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Playing the ball back too far back ,except for specialty shots, is a compensation(error to correct another error).For whatever reason your low point is too far back in your stance.If you start hitting the ball off line you are going to have to compensate again.

#9 Texsport

Texsport

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

It may seem to be further back than it actually is. Laying some clubs down parallel to your stance and at your new ball position will tell you.

It frequently helps left-eye dominant players make better contact to position the ball more under , or even behind the left eye.

Of course, you want your iron divots to point slightly to the left of you target, unless you plan on hitting some big sweeping hooks.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 17 April 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#10 TheJollyGolfer

TheJollyGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170153

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostIHeart3Putting, on 15 April 2010 - 05:02 PM, said:

Hello everyone, new member here. I recently took a golf lesson (only been playing for 1 year) and the pro suggested I put the ball on all irons between the middle of my stance and my back foot. I've always been taught that the ball position should should be 2 inches from the left heel or at the shirt logo for irons (i'm right handed). I was striking the ball with much more consistency with the ball in the back of the stance. I hit no fat shots and I noticed by looking at the club face I really hit down on the ball and compressed it.

I would completely agree with your pros advice. Most recreational golfers would benefit from the same advice. The timing and mechanics required for a ball forward of middle is advanced. When you hear the ball position, its normally for experts with super swings. Every player must position the ball to suit his efficiency. Most of my students play ground shots from mid to slightly back in the stance, hybrids/fairway woods as well.

Edited by TheJollyGolfer, 17 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Gator_Hater

Gator_Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97424
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostTheJollyGolfer, on 17 April 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

I would completely agree with your pros advice. Most recreational golfers would benefit from the same advice. The timing and mechanics required for a ball forward of middle is advanced. When you hear the ball position, its normally for experts with super swings. Every player must position the ball to suit his efficiency. Most of my students play ground shots from mid to slightly back in the stance, hybrids/fairway woods as well.

This is definitely a band-aid approach. It is surely possible to hit a golf ball from this position but it is purely sub-optimal.

#12 Quipper

Quipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

...thats the great thing about golf....everybody swings somewhat differently....i mean look at Jim Furyk, Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Bubba, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi, Kuchar. Theres NO WAY i could swing like them ad consistently strike the ball, but they sure can......i know theres people who "critique" those swings to death about their "mechanics", the golf swing is an art form and everybody has an "optimal" way of doing it.....good base fundamentals...sure you gotta have that.....everybody's too worried with "hitting the ball" just so perfect every shot all the time, in a perfect world that may happen but even thats a stretch LOL. I love hitting a bad shot and trying to figure out how to still score well on a hole....hell i ducked a drive behind a tree on a par 5....then tried to hit a bullet three iron under limbs and caught tree and bounced 30 yards behind me....didnt even think about it...took a 3 metal about 255 to just in front of green...chipped up to 6 inches and still got a par.....in MY mind...THAT'S playing golf...Playing the ball back works for alot of people, including myself...for others....not so much.....so is golf!!!! :)

Edited by Quipper, 18 April 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#13 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostQuipper, on 18 April 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

...thats the great thing about golf....everybody swings somewhat differently....i mean look at Jim Furyk, Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Bubba, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi, Kuchar. Theres NO WAY i could swing like them ad consistently strike the ball, but they sure can......i know theres people who "critique" those swings to death about their "mechanics", the golf swing is an art form and everybody has an "optimal" way of doing it.....good base fundamentals...sure you gotta have that.....everybody's too worried with "hitting the ball" just so perfect every shot all the time, in a perfect world that may happen but even thats a stretch LOL. I love hitting a bad shot and trying to figure out how to still score well on a hole....hell i ducked a drive behind a tree on a par 5....then tried to hit a bullet three iron under limbs and caught tree and bounced 30 yards behind me....didnt even think about it...took a 3 metal about 255 to just in front of green...chipped up to 6 inches and still got a par.....in MY mind...THAT'S playing golf...Playing the ball back works for alot of people, including myself...for others....not so much.....so is golf!!!! :)

i wouldnt say i love hitting bad shots but i certainly do love hitting recovery shots out that seem near impossible. makes u feel like seve :)

#14 Jericho

Jericho

Puttin' for birdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129498
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I always struggle with fat shots. I've been implementing the aiming point technique to achieve ball first, divot second and its been working great when the ball is in the middle of my stance. As soon as I put the ball in the "ideal" spot off my left heel, everything goes to 4ell in a handbasket. I've basically come to the conclusion that you need to optimize what works for YOU. I'm never going to be a professional so why am I trying to emulate pro mechanics when those mechanics were designed by/for them and their personal characteristics. There are just too many examples of people achieving success with "different" swings.
Callaway Razr Fit 9.5 (AD DI 7S)
Callaway Razr Fit 15 (Diamana BB)
Callaway Razr X HL 21 (Diamana D+)
Callaway '13 X-Forged 4-PW (C-Taper)
Callaway Forged 52-56-60
SC Studio Select Newport 2

#15 Quipper

Quipper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

LOL...let me rephrase that...I love knowing that WHEN i hit a bad shot i can recover from them....ya know use your thinking cap to figure out a creative way to get out of any trouble....and as for Seve....absolutely THE BEST...play a round with him and you see how he does it....WOW!!!!!

#16 johnstone610

johnstone610

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66958
  • Handicap:+1.2
  • Ebay ID:johnstone61066
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have always had a high ball flight with little to no divots and also found that I was playing my irons to far forward (was always told I was a a flipper and worked for years to fix that until I hit a tour striker for the first time and was able to hit it every single time needless to say the last few years were massively wasted.)  If I lay down an alignment stick in the middle of my stance it appears to me that the ball is way back in my stance when really its right in the middle if not slightly forward.  Not sure why I get that illusion but it works very well for me now that I know it's there.

#17 DevilDog

DevilDog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127483
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

View PostTheJollyGolfer, on 17 April 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

well stated indeed.  Everyone is built different, everyone therefore swings slightly different in terms of swing arc and other factors.  For me, I play the ball probably more forward than you teach your students nowadays.  That being said, I too was taught to play it back first to get that feel before ever moving it more forward.  From an efficiency factor for me, more forward gives me much more speed and where the natural bottom of my swing arc is from the way I move into a shot.  That's just me as I said.  Really like your comment about efficiency.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors