Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Skycaddie SGX Owners/Users thread

652 replies to this topic

#631 dougiet18

dougiet18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74994
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

Okay I am a bit freaked out. just sent an email to SkyCaddie asking for reassurance but will be a day or two before I hear back prob.

Here's the issue (and yes I am a golf junkie.....spend too much on gear, and on the game. I play all I can and travel all over to play).

I currently use a Bushnell Pinseeker and shoot my distances. I bought a Callaway Upro a couple of years ago but syncing it was a pain, and the interface was worse.

Just bought an SGX, and took a look at three of the courses that I play all the time, and know intimately.

Here is the freaky part, and I never shout in emails or blog posts.....EVERY ONE OF THEM IS WRONG!!!!!

I see posts here about one or two yard discrepancies, satellites taking time to engage etc, but the most basic of basic information ie the actual par, yardage and handicap ratings are totally wrong on the three courses I checked.

Seriously, I had to turn it off and stop looking because it was sickening.

The courses I checked were Copetown Woods, Carlisle North and Lakeview, all in SW Ontario.

WTF?!?!?!?

Anyone else experienced this, or did I buy the "practical joke unit"?

So friggin weird it's indescribable.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#632 vernon

vernon

Vernon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

Not trying to be a wiseguy here but did you check to make sure that the courses you're looking at are actually the one's that you think they are?  If that sounds ignorant, I apologize but I just got a replacement unit back from Skycaddie last week and had a similar problem.  The rep I spoke to indicated that my unit would arrive ready to use as all of my previous courses would already be loaded.  Well, when the unit arrived I turned it on and headed out to play (I live on my home course).  The unit selected a course that had the same name as mine but wasn't even close to being the right one.  Needless to say, the holes, par, handicaps and the whole deal were way off and every hole measured the maximum 999 yards.  I took the unit back in the house and reloaded all of my courses from my PC and everything was fine.  Not sure if any of the other courses were wrong as I didn't check but I have to assume more than just my home course was off.  Might be worth a second to check?  If not, contact SkyGolf, they were absoulutely great to deal with in my case.

#633 dougiet18

dougiet18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74994

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

thanks Vernon, I think it's sorted out okay. In fact, I did have the right three courses....and they were all messed up.....but after I posted here I got into a live chat session with a tech support guy. (which was very odd....but that is another story).

Net net, he said I had to sign up and register the unit, and then it would work fine. I asked him if that meant that all the data was actually wrong and he never really answered the question. But I assume it is so you can't just charge up the unit and use it with no subscription.

I took the plunge this morning and bought the 3 year worldwide plan for $175, downloaded a bunch of courses to the portal, charged and synced the SGX and all looks fine. Will have a chance to use it this Friday woot!

Thanks again.

#634 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

View Posttaygolf52, on 17 March 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

I am thinking about getting an SGX. I have been using my iphone with golfshots for two years now. I love the app and I love being able to keep up with stats like GIR, sand saves, fairways hit and such. It has really helped me focus my practice time.

Anyway my work has purchased me a company blackberry so I really have no need for my iphone. Yes I like the iphone more than the blackberry but the blackberry is required and I can not get rid of it. plus it is free and I hate carrying around two phones. The only thing that I currently need my iphone for is golfshots so there is no sense in paying $80 a month to just use golf shots when I can get a sky caddie.

These two are fairly close in accuracy. I have put my golfshots app up against the sky caddie of my uncles several times. always within a yard or 2 but the sky caddie is much faster and has a better battery life for sure.

I have a few questions. First can I keep all the needed stats? fairways hit, putts, sand saves, up and down. what club I used for my tee shot, total score, handicap? Secondly how is the battery life with the new SGX? is it as good as previous models or does the larger screen and color display suck the battery down? Is there anything else I should be looking at beside the sky caddie?

Thanks for the help

T
Battery Life is very good. Mine will last 3 to 4 9 hole rounds and easily through and 18 hole round. I dont take a chance playing 2 18 hole rounds as i have become very reliant on the device. Hope you enjoy it is a awesome device.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#635 SwingBlues

SwingBlues

We are the Old Dark Navy Blues

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44148
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

Battery life is OK, I get 2 rounds out of it. One time, I got 9 holes and then the batts died so it was back to the Bushnell! I wish they had 4 or 5 rounds life - THAT would be good!

I also renewed for another year, it's worth it - best GPS so far and I had the SG3 before this. Awesome for new courses to see the hazards.

#636 maverick

maverick

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 671
  • Ebay ID:member00123
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

I was prompted to install CaddieExpress the last time I logged on. So I did but I already have Caddie Sync installed since I bought the SGX. Anyway today I used   CaddieExpress and it gave me an update. I am anxious to see what improvements they have done. Has anyone else downloaded the latest software update?

So far I cannot tell the difference since the upgrade. I was hoping they might spped up these units. MY SG5 was very fast compared to the SGX.

Edited by maverick, 18 August 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#637 Zephead

Zephead

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84478
  • Ebay ID:tke889

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

I could be out in left field, but it sounds like you are a little bitter about Skycaddie on-line chat support. I could just be reading into your 1/2 page rant though. Haha.

Why in the world would you ever let someone you don't know, take remote control of your personal computer???? Do you give out your social security number to door-to-door salesmen too? Especially for a bunch of preloaded courses that contain the same information you can get from a free app on your phone. I can honestly say that once I downloaded all of the local courses around me, I haven't ever looked at one of the pre-loaded courses.

Your definitely right though about not downloading their "optional" updates. So far none of these have shown any improvements I am interested in. So if it isn't broke......

Edited by Zephead, 22 August 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#638 briankbart

briankbart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53935
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Debating on which one to get. Skycaddie or Bushnell

#639 Sting'

Sting'

Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115030
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

View Postbriankbart, on 23 August 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

Debating on which one to get. Skycaddie or Bushnell
Both are Great, but- I think it really depends on which ones have full detail of all your courses you play, that was the deciding factor for me.

the SGX has ALL my courses fully "mapped"....the other GPS's did'nt.....make sure you research that...Good luck.

(Some gps's only give you distance to the green.....the good ones give you the whole hole to navigate--its a big difference)

Edited by Skyy, 23 August 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#640 maverick

maverick

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:26 AM

My SGX quit on me at the course the other day. It started with just an 'X' when I plugged it into my computer. I re-booted the SGX and the computer. It still just gave me an 'X'. I kept trying different things and finally got it to SYNC. It seemed OK so I recharged it and took it to the course. I tried to turn it on and then the 'X" started and stalled there.

I called Skygolf and they sent me a new one. I asked why this known issue is not patched and got some inaudable answer. However the new one is faster that the one it replaced so it's more then just software. It could be a frimware issue, who knows? I just hope this one lasts longer.

BTW, when anyone asks to take over my machine I always tell them, "No". I then ask them what the want done so I can do it myself. If something seems weird I can ask them about the issue. In the past I have had this type of 'takeover' crash my system. No one should ever mess with the registry and if so it is to be backed up first. You have to be on the top of the 'computer food chain' to really understand the registry. It is just best to not mess with it at all. As a former IT tech that is JMHO.

Edited by maverick, 18 September 2011 - 01:27 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#641 jbaldwin

jbaldwin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11756

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

What are the main differences between the SGX and the SG5?  Thank you

#642 maverick

maverick

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

View Postjbaldwin, on 26 September 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

What are the main differences between the SGX and the SG5?  Thank you

Bigger screen. The SG5 is about half what the SGX is as far as screen size. That said I had an SG5 and it worked flawlessly and was fast.

#643 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

Have to ask.  I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER seen any GPS manufacturer that claims to walk the fairways and rough for distances on any golf course whatsoever.   I regularly play Bethpage and not only are the tee-times filled from 5:30 AM until dusk, there is absolutely no way for anyone just to walk the fairways.  I'm a public course player so the same goes for any public course I've played and that's a whole lot.

#644 TM_HOYER

TM_HOYER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90581
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

View Postchas521, on 04 October 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

<br>Have to ask.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER seen any GPS manufacturer that claims to walk the fairways and rough for distances on any golf course whatsoever.&nbsp;&nbsp; I regularly play Bethpage and not only are the tee-times filled from 5:30 AM until dusk, there is absolutely no way for anyone just to walk the fairways.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm a public course player so the same goes for any public course I've played and that's a whole lot.<br>
<br><br>Here in the North Georgia area, the courses were walked and measured during the winter when there was much less play. The one course I requested and talked to the pro after it was done, it was a two day process. They walked nine holes each day and the pro went with the person to help them measure. They closed the nine being measured that day. For many private clubs, they close one day a week, so it can be measured the day the course is closed.
TM Jetspeed 10.5 w/ Fubuki Alpha 60R
TM Jetspeed 3w
TM Jetspeed 3 - 5 Rescue
Nike VRS Forged w/ Project X PXi 5.5
Nike Midnight Method 008

#645 xe2087

xe2087

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75727
  • Ebay ID:swash_buckler

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Skycaddie Sucks!!!!!!!

Worst customer service i have ever deal with.

This company does not care about it's customers and rips them off with a yearly membership to access something they have already paid for.

Do not buy Skycaddie get a rangefinder.

#646 JJFWebster

JJFWebster

60% of the time I'm in the fairway every time.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173656

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I've enjoyed my SkyCaddie SGXw. The processor is a bit slow and at times simple processes seem to take much longer than they should. Other than that I really don't have much to complain about. I wear it on my belt like a nerd but once you get used to it, you'll be pulling it out just about every shot. I've never had my yardages more down pat because of the mark function. I also really like the fact that it tracks stats for you such as GIR and fairways hit. I rarely kept track before I had it. It's been well worth the investment for me. I rarely pull my laser out these days.

#647 ghalfaire

ghalfaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159335

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

I have had my SGX only a month or so now but no significant issues.  I does get a hole ahead of me at times but not often and it is easy to correct.  So I have been pleased to date with the performance, but admit I'm still learning.  This unit replaced my old SG3.

#648 Elite_Digger

Elite_Digger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79587
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

I replaced a different GPS I had just bought with a SkyCaddie SGXw.  TGW mailed me a one day sale last week for an SGXw for $299. Took a print out to the local store and asked if they price matched. Even though they had the SGXw in stock for $399 on the shelf, they matched it so I saved $100. Had a few problems with that unit when it couldn't acces the courses, contacted customer service and they sent me a new unit out 2-day so I was able to get the new one yesterday. Took it out to the course today and love it. Had the screen on the whole time and used up only 1/3 of the battery so I'm guessing I could easily get a couple round out of this. Used to have the 2.5 so this was a nice step up for me. It was a no brainer given the sale price and the additional perks like the carrying case, car charger and free year subscription. Plus they sent me an offer to buy some yellow ZStars for $22 shipped. Also love the fact that I can walk in the house, hit the button and it wirelessly syncs and sends my scores to the computer without me leaving the kitchen. Nice unit, solidly built...and seems to do everything I want it to do. Very happy customer.

#649 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

View Postxe2087, on 07 June 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Skycaddie Sucks!!!!!!!

Worst customer service i have ever deal with.

This company does not care about it's customers and rips them off with a yearly membership to access something they have already paid for.

Do not buy Skycaddie get a rangefinder.

that is a constructive post, please tell us what they did wrong not just tell us they suck.
TM R11 4-pw Project X

#650 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostElite_Digger, on 16 June 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

I replaced a different GPS I had just bought with a SkyCaddie SGXw.  TGW mailed me a one day sale last week for an SGXw for $299. Took a print out to the local store and asked if they price matched. Even though they had the SGXw in stock for $399 on the shelf, they matched it so I saved $100. Had a few problems with that unit when it couldn't acces the courses, contacted customer service and they sent me a new unit out 2-day so I was able to get the new one yesterday. Took it out to the course today and love it. Had the screen on the whole time and used up only 1/3 of the battery so I'm guessing I could easily get a couple round out of this. Used to have the 2.5 so this was a nice step up for me. It was a no brainer given the sale price and the additional perks like the carrying case, car charger and free year subscription. Plus they sent me an offer to buy some yellow ZStars for $22 shipped. Also love the fact that I can walk in the house, hit the button and it wirelessly syncs and sends my scores to the computer without me leaving the kitchen. Nice unit, solidly built...and seems to do everything I want it to do. Very happy customer.

That is awesome they took care of you that way! The wireless sounds really nice! I can get about 2 18 hole and 1 9 hole rounds out of my battery on my SGX so it makes it nice.

TM R11 4-pw Project X

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#651 Elite_Digger

Elite_Digger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79587
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostElite_Digger, on 16 June 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Well, did have one glitch in my round last Saturday. Got to about the 14th hole and the optical mouse/joystick decided to stop working. Worked on it for a couple minutes and finally just shut it down and restarted. Hit resume and it went right back to my round and worked fine after that. Dunno what happened but you're bound to have glitches with any electronic equipment from time to time.

#652 genemcg

genemcg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85129

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

I wish they would add some more trackable stats to the SGX. Such as chips, sand shots, penalty strokes, etc. Doesn't seem that difficult to do.

#653 deepbore

deepbore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107106

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

Has anyone tried replacing the battery by themselves on the sgx?  Mine is out of warranty and I can't see spending 90 bucks for a lithium battery.

Edited by deepbore, 29 August 2012 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors