Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver and iron backswing yips- help required

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankster

frankster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79068
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:12 AM

In the last couple of years when I am playing (as opposed to the range) my arms and shoulders get all out of place from what I believe to be nervousness. It is also followed by premature forward lunging.

After searching around on the net I was surprised that not many others have written about this same problem. Anyways any solutions appreciated.

Edited by frankster, 13 April 2010 - 04:34 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1224

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

View Postfrankster, on 13 April 2010 - 04:12 AM, said:

In the last couple of years when I am playing (as opposed to the range) my arms and shoulders get all out of place from what I believe to be nervousness. It is also followed by premature forward lunging.

After searching around on the net I was surprised that not many others have written about this same problem. Anyways any solutions appreciated.

I had the driver yips so bad I quit playing so I wouldn't kill anybody, not just on the course, I couldn't even hit the planet when on the range by myself!

I will get roasted for this, but the Alignments of the Golfing Machine got me right back on track, golf is fun again. I hit 5 of 6 fairways in 9 holes yesterday, and the one I missed was a couple of feet.

Run out and buy The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett. It will get you on track. Then find a good instructor of TGM, or one who understands the alignments of TGM in your area. TGM isn't flashy and takes patience, but I believe in it.

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#3 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64061
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

View Postfrankster, on 13 April 2010 - 04:12 AM, said:

Not surprising. Golfers have a distinct aversion to the word "nervousness." I goes with a couple of others that are unmentionable, owing to a ton of missing information, another ton of very poorly defined information, and another ton of purely incorrect information - all of which has been handed out and down for many generations in the game. That is all the way to an extent that even what is wrong is now strongly defended by many. It's the "earth is flat" syndrome.

First off it is important to understand that any human action has two very real components in play - the body and the mind. The problem is that the mind has two components in play, the second of which hardly gets a mention - and that is the non conscious part which is, according to all the research, somewhere between 95% and 98% of the total, since that's where all of one's action inventory is stored. Cap that with the physiological changes in the body that take place instantly when a player faces pressure and you get a bunch of unwanted glitches that most players then proceed to address mechanically, which is a lot like changing the spark plugs in your car when the windshield wipers don't work.

Nervousness is one of the "unmentionables" in the game. Curiously, it's thought to be occasional, but it really exists on every shot - just not loud enough at times to be put on the list of priority considerations. There is no such things as facing any action that has any degree of uncertainty in it without nervousness, and anything we face that is just beginning and is yet to be completed meets the criteria, i.e. every shot in the game. Just look at the Masters on Sunday. There were illustrations all over the park. But I doubt you could get many who would consider them coming as a result of nervousness, even though there is plenty of documented evidence that supports that claim.

So check the ways and means to mange your mind (NOT control your mind, which is impossible), so that you find the path to block the nervous signals that cause the physiological changes. In the event that you do find that your particular issue is all mechanical, don't let that trap you into a conclusion saying that's all it ever is.

Cheers

Edited by keygolf, 13 April 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#4 frankster

frankster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79068
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for the Golf Machine suggestion and will look into it.

As far as the comments on nervousness and mental issues I am not exactly sure what to take from it. I usually have various in-swing thoughts that I follow but it still does not help my backswing breakdown.

#5 CUTiger7

CUTiger7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106248
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I think what he is getting at with the nervousness is that it is constantly there. Not just on the course but at the range. The difference in your shots isn't because of the presence of being nervous but the fact it plays a more crucial role. I am the same way when making shots on the course.

Only thing that I can recommend that helps me a lot is before every round get a small bucket. I stress small bucket if you are not an everyday golfer due to fatigue causing a breakdown on the back nine. I play almost everyday and I still only get a small bucket. I then take a 7i, bc almost everyone can hit a 7i without trouble, and work on good tempo/form. Hit about 15-20 balls that way, then the rest I hit the clubs I think I will be using on the first hole or two. The purpose of the range is not to work on things at this point, it is to gain confidence in what you are doing.

When on the course after your range session, don't think about your swing. You hit the ball well, your swing is fine. Only thing that should be going through your head is where am I going to put the next shot. I tend to believe a golfer has to be somewhat arrogant about his abilities in order to minimize the "nervousness" of each shot. If you approach every shot saying I know I can do this, I have practiced this a million times and just let it rip, things should turn out well.

Aim small, miss small... just like in most sports. Don't look at the hazards, trees, cute cart girl bringing you a fresh brew ;)... know your abilities, know when to take chances, but at the same time don't sell yourself short. Your memory has to be short and not venturing back to shots you made/missed 3 holes back. This is the club... this is the ball... thats the hole...

Good luck! Hope I wasn't too confusing.

#6 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64061
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

View Postfrankster, on 14 April 2010 - 05:14 AM, said:

Thanks for the Golf Machine suggestion and will look into it.

As far as the comments on nervousness and mental issues I am not exactly sure what to take from it. I usually have various in-swing thoughts that I follow but it still does not help my backswing breakdown.
Part of the problem is to consider what it means that there are two separate entities in the mind affecting what we do - the conscious and the non conscious. They are located in different parts of the brain. The conscious part is what we "hear" when we think. The non conscious part we don't "hear" until after the fact, and even that is limited to sometimes we hear, but not always. The non conscious is where our action habits are stored and where that part comes from. The conscious part is where our ideas are located. What happens when we use swing keys while swinging is that we moving more slowly with conscious thinking than our actions need, so we get a mismatch with our non conscious, which forces actions either to rush to catch up or balk trying to keep things from getting out of hand. Those are innate and involuntary responses. The are not controllable, but they are manageable. That's the reason for managing your mental activity during the swing, which no one seems to want to discuss in print. You won't find it in the top books about the mental game. They address the "before and after," but not "the during" for shot making, and it's what goes on during the shot that causes most of the "poor" results we get. There is no moment in the game more important that what is going on when you have a club in your hand moving toward impact with the ball.

There is more, involving how to manage thinking during execution, but maybe this will help clear things up a bit. It's complex, but not complicated once it has understanding behind it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors