Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Average distance difference between clubs?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle_Bourgeois

Kyle_Bourgeois

Parasailin' with Sarah Palin

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96806
  • Ebay ID:KyleB1711
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Does anybody know some accurate statistics which show the average distance for irons?

Thanks,
KB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99396
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

from an OEM standpoint, it depends on the manufacturer and model of club. After that, custom loft angles can change it more. Here's mine...

4i - 24* - 205
5i - 27* - 190
6i - 31* - 180
7i - 35* - 165
8i - 39* - 150
9i - 43* - 140
PW - 47* - 130
Adams 9064LS 9* PX blue 6.5
Callaway 3Deep 13* Diamana BB 80s tipped
Adams 17* Fubuki Alpha S tipped
Cally X-Protos KBS Tour S hardstepped
Cally Jaws 53/60 KBS Tour S hardstepped
Scotty Newport 2

#3 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

The average distance between clubs tends to be correlated with swing speed.  The faster you swing the club the larger the gaps.  

As to the average distance a particular iron flies it is a lot further on the internet than anywhere else.

Steve

#4 redlabel

redlabel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79409
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

View Postjuststeve, on 23 March 2010 - 07:22 AM, said:

The average distance between clubs tends to be correlated with swing speed. The faster you swing the club the larger the gaps.

As to the average distance a particular iron flies it is a lot further on the internet than anywhere else.

Steve

Your response made me chuckle, thanks.

#5 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

The average distance between clubs tends to be correlated with swing speed.  The faster you swing the club the larger the gaps.  

Steve

Two things... ball speed and loft angle. A Mizuno 8 iron (39* loft) has only one thing in common with a Callaway Diablo Edge 8 iron (35* loft): the number on the sole.

To the OP: generally 12 yard distance gaps are what most players would like to see. I feel most players would be OK with 12 yard gaps. If you have a 120 yard PW, then...

9 - 132
8 - 144
7 - 156
6 - 168
5 - 180
4 - 192
3 - 204

Unfortunately it doesn't hardly ever worh that way right off the Golfsmith rack :)

Scotty Newport 2

#6 Cloran

Cloran

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46001
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

This is a good topic. I don't think simple math is all that exact. There are still alot of variables... in my swing anyhow, lol... so I'm going to get on a Trackman asap. That way I'll have a more exact understanding of my gaps.

#7 flipmode

flipmode

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70493
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have a 10 yard gap between every iron. My PW starts at 110, 9=120 and so on. Unfortunately, I'm a pretty short hitter.
Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

#8 GoinLow

GoinLow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102760
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

There's no for sure way to know the gap distance until you go and get fitted. A lot of amateurs tend to have a steeper swing that they can get away with 'adding 10 yds' for each club pw-8iron. Once you start getting into mid-irons and long irons you'll find distance is more difficult to consistently gauge. Getting fit is the key to knowing your yardage gaps.
-Chris

Edited by GoinLow, 23 March 2010 - 08:52 AM.

#9 Kyle_Bourgeois

Kyle_Bourgeois

Parasailin' with Sarah Palin

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96806
  • Ebay ID:KyleB1711
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Steve

ahh, so true.

#10 Hstead

Hstead

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 1106

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Cool topic. I have about 14 yards between each club. My teacher used a Trackman to measure how far I hit my 60* and then how far I hit my 3 wood and came up with the following gaps. I think it was actually 13.75 yards and then we adjusted the clubs to fill each gap. So, I hit the 60* around 90 yards, then the 56* about 104, Gap 117, PW 130, 9I 144, 8I 157, 7I 170, 6I 183, 5I 197, 4I 210, Hybrid 226, 3 Wood 255.

Ping G30 9* 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin
Bridgestone Tour B330

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

View PostCloran, on 23 March 2010 - 08:15 AM, said:

This is a good topic. I don't think simple math is all that exact. There are still alot of variables... in my swing anyhow, lol... so I'm going to get on a Trackman asap. That way I'll have a more exact understanding of my gaps.

It'll never be an exact fit for anyone... there's obviously going to be variables that affect each shot beyond just the loft and swing speed. Shafts, altitude, weather conditions, etc.

Example: I played at a rather wooded course on a windy day... we were eating a 15-20 mph headwind coming into the green. However, because of the tree cover we had, my "toss some grass in the air" routine said that there was only 5-10 mph of wind in our face, the flag confirmed the mild wind at the green too. The pin was 160 yards out and back-center, so I opted for a full 7 iron to get middle of the green. I figured 10mph wind on a 165yd 7 iron would net a 150-155 yard shot that would end up close to center and below the hole. I hit that 7 iron solid, I was afraid I was gonna fly the green... the ball landed 5 yards short of the green, which was 15 yards short of my estimated target and barely 140 yards. When the ball cleared the tree line it was exposed to the real wind conditions and got ballooned. For fun, I hit a second shot with my 6 iron, againa  full swing. That shot airmailed the green by 10 yards, because it wasn't above the tree line nearly as high and long as that 7 iron.

The point I'm trying to make is that there is no standard 'gap' with the manufacturers these days because loft differs from maker to maker and even from model to model. What I prefer (and others might agree with) is an understanding of what each club is going to do when you swing it, IDEALLY. If you can consistently hit your 9 iron ~130 yards and your 8 iron ~140 yards, which club are you going to use off a flat lie/no wind shot to a center pin that's 138 yards out? What if your 9 is 130 but your 8 is 150?

once your distances become really consistent, ask a good clubfitter to change up a few loft angles to tighten/open the gaps. Until then just keep swinging until you're comfortable with what your equipment will do :)
Scotty Newport 2

#12 CarloGolfer

CarloGolfer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53165
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

View PostKyle_Bourgeois, on 23 March 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

Steve

ahh, so true.

Posted Image

classic

#13 mission_scratch

mission_scratch

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70255
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Going into my 2nd serious season of golf, I should know my distances, however I roughtly know them. which is a shame, and a reason I need to get out and calculate them. but here in Oklahoma with the wind, its hard to do so.  but I need to get a better Idea. ill work with my irons this week and next and try to get them more dialed in and get distances.

#14 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

View Postmission_scratch, on 23 March 2010 - 03:01 PM, said:

Going into my 2nd serious season of golf, I should know my distances, however I roughtly know them. which is a shame, and a reason I need to get out and calculate them. but here in Oklahoma with the wind, its hard to do so. but I need to get a better Idea. ill work with my irons this week and next and try to get them more dialed in and get distances.

Knowing my irons by distance and typical shot shape is by far my biggest 'tick', so-to-speak. I have my distances on well struck shots down squarely enough that I am pretty effective at adjusting for wind, height differential and lie. I know I am more comfortable playing a gentle 200 yard draw with my 4 iron as opposed to a dead-nuts straight laser beam with my 9 iron. it's nothing drastic, but I have my stock shot for each distance.

As nerdy as it sounds, Jim Furyk wrote an awesome article for Golf Digest a few months back on iron selection and how to be effective with variables and adjusting for the true distance. I play with almost an inch of choke on my irons. This allows me to choke an inch lower to kill some distance or let up to the butt-end for more. When I am on at the course, it's very effective.

Now, just to tackle that 'consistency' issue, LOL ;)
Scotty Newport 2

#15 mission_scratch

mission_scratch

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

View PostDON SVO, on 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

Going into my 2nd serious season of golf, I should know my distances, however I roughtly know them. which is a shame, and a reason I need to get out and calculate them. but here in Oklahoma with the wind, its hard to do so. but I need to get a better Idea. ill work with my irons this week and next and try to get them more dialed in and get distances.

Knowing my irons by distance and typical shot shape is by far my biggest 'tick', so-to-speak. I have my distances on well struck shots down squarely enough that I am pretty effective at adjusting for wind, height differential and lie. I know I am more comfortable playing a gentle 200 yard draw with my 4 iron as opposed to a dead-nuts straight laser beam with my 9 iron. it's nothing drastic, but I have my stock shot for each distance.

As nerdy as it sounds, Jim Furyk wrote an awesome article for Golf Digest a few months back on iron selection and how to be effective with variables and adjusting for the true distance. I play with almost an inch of choke on my irons. This allows me to choke an inch lower to kill some distance or let up to the butt-end for more. When I am on at the course, it's very effective.

Now, just to tackle that 'consistency' issue, LOL Posted Image

How did you get your distances down ? did you just go to the course and write down the shots and distances and Irons you uses? etc. I just cant seem to get a good way to getting accurate distances. maybe go out to the course when its slow and hit a few shots from same distances etc. I am going out this saturday for a practice round, I am going to note each shot and how far they go.. Maybe that will get me on the right track.

#16 redlabel

redlabel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

View Postmission_scratch, on 23 March 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostDON SVO, on 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

Now, just to tackle that 'consistency' issue, LOL Posted Image

How did you get your distances down ? did you just go to the course and write down the shots and distances and Irons you uses? etc. I just cant seem to get a good way to getting accurate distances. maybe go out to the course when its slow and hit a few shots from same distances etc. I am going out this saturday for a practice round, I am going to note each shot and how far they go.. Maybe that will get me on the right track.

I go to one of the local junior high football fields and hit balls onto the field. They're 120 yards long and I just start out with my wedges and keep backing up. They're marked in 5 & 10 yard increments and usually a little chalk is left from the previous year as well. I have a 30" stride so know that 12 steps is 10 yards. I will hit 10 or 12 and take out the 2 long and short and then I use the rest for the average distance and have a range of long and short. If I have time I'll also do this for each club while choking up 1/2" and 1" and it will pretty much cover every distance. I don't always hit the club the right distance but I'm always confident I have the right club for the shot. Once you know the distance between clubs it's easy to check it with a few clubs each year.

This year I will be redoing the whole set with my i15's.

#17 Cloran

Cloran

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46001
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

I really need to get on Trackman. I also have a heck of a time getting my distances based on the range that I go to. The balls go from smooth-to cracked-to descent-to someones leftover Top Flite XL 2000- then back to bald... Combine that with cold temps, wind, and hitting off mats and I tend to be pretty screwed up. Also, there are no targets at my range between 160 yards and 205 yards... that's a VERY big gap to hit into and guess how far you are actually hitting it. Not to mention it's almost impossible to get the dumpy balls to fly farther than 220 or so, even with a dead flush driver.. which would go 260-270 on the course. Frustrating.

#18 mission_scratch

mission_scratch

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

Redlabel... Very nice.. I will actually do that very same thing this weekend.  I never though of doing that. I have a friend who lives right next to a High School and the softball/football fields are open to the public. usually noone there at certain times.. I will definantly give this a shot.. Thanks

#19 redlabel

redlabel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

It works pretty well and was how it could be done before the lasers and gps units.

Have fun and hope it works for you.

#20 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

View Postmission_scratch, on 23 March 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

For a lot of my iron shots, I learned the distances by playing. We have a local 9 hole course that slows down pretty hard about 2 hours before dark... I sorted my new iron set by simply playing 5 balls off the tee for a round and recording the distance. I hate basing distance off of range balls because that'll drive you bonkers... Hit 10 shots flush as can be, mix in 3 balls that have been hit a few thousand times, 4 relatively fresh balls and 3 brand new ones and I'm pretty sure that consistency doesn't exist.

On a well struck shot, I have my distances within 5 yards. Again we go back to the consistency, LOL, because that doesn't always include accuracy.

Scotty Newport 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 xamilo

xamilo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68570
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Take into account the lofts of some clubs are very different. Some people brag about their distance with a PW for example, and you measure them and are no higher than 44 compared to your maybe 47, or stuff like that.

My numbers (with lofts are as follows):

D10.5: 245yd
3W 15: 230yd
7W 19.5: 210yd
4I 24: 200yd
5I 28: 190yd
6I 31: 180yd
7I 35: 170yd
8I 38: 160yd
9I 41: 150yd
PW 45: 140yd
GW 50: 120yd