Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

WITB Michelle Wie

89 replies to this topic

#1 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

Driver: SQ Tour Driver
Woods: SQ 3 wood/SQ 5 wood
Irons: Nike Blades 4-PW
Wedges: Nike 52,56 & 60 Wedges
Putter: T130 Putter
Nike One Platinum

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 The Racing Snake

The Racing Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12748
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

Nike bag but no crest on the base....?!!? missed chance!!

#3 bigpopper81

bigpopper81

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20237
  • Ebay ID:atcgrrb8
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

Looks like Leadbetter's got her carrying around the Swingsetter.

#4 TheBigShow722

TheBigShow722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31860

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

looks like michelle wie is a big publicity stunt and can't play for crap

#5 hbear

hbear

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3507
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

TheBigShow722, on Jun 24 2007, 10:24 PM, said:

If she can't play for crap....I'd hate to know what you think of 90% of golfers in the world she could probably mop the floor with.

Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Ahina 70x
Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey ProType #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

#6 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9834
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

TheBigShow722, on Jun 25 2007, 12:24 AM, said:

Interesting.

Whatever else you may think of Wie, don't forget she finished in the top 5 at a few majors in the past year or so, and has earned a great deal more money on course than a few other LPGA players.

I suppose none of them can play for crap either.

#7 TheBigShow722

TheBigShow722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

ok, let me respond.

in michelle wie's defense...
she could show up at my local country club and probably beat every member there, male or female.
michelle wie could also beat me; i am a very solid golfer, a male, and i have absolutely no reservations saying that.

but in my defense...
i think michelle wie is basically all hype. her couple high finishes aside, michelle has not lived up to any of the amazing praise she recieves week in and week out.
johnny miller says she has the best swing in the world...this is because she is young, athletic, and has had the best instruction money can buy for years. i am a firm believer that kids in new york city's first tee program have equal talent, and give the same access to equipment, competition, and instruction as wie, could be even better.

wie seems to have no killer instinct. only once has she closed the door on a field to win a tournament of any worth. maybe watch...oh i don't know, morgan pressel (a now major champion who receives FAR LESS airtime) if you want to see a player who has killer instinct.

wie constantly is over her head. her pga tour track record speak for itself. annika (then number 1 player int he world!) tried to play against the men once, failed, and then came to terms with the fact she was not meant to play on the pga tour. conversely, michelle wie (an uncredintialed, spoiled little girl) tried one more than one occasion to break through ont he men's tour and failed. MISERABLY. not to mention allowing wie to compete in men's events also takes opportunities from more deserving golfers- you know, people trying to pay for their kid's tuition.

we also have the "wrist injury" controversy(-sies). why is it that every time michelle is dangerously close to player her way out of lpga exemption, her wrist injury magically reappears? brittany lincicome was right to assume this injury was a mere stunt to get michelle away from professional golf (where i think she belongs until the time is right).

in summary, i don't believe michelle wie is a joke or in underserving of being a professional golfer. i think she is a victim of the media- everyone wants her to be "the next tiger woods" (why do you think she's backing away from pro golf to go to, of all places, stanford)- but she is not. what michelle wie is, is a pretty talented young golfer who, int he end, might win 2 or 3 majors and a handful of events on tour. she is not at all ready for professional golf at the moment and is a sports persona, who at least in my opinion, has lost all the novelty which got her int he media spotlight.

#8 TheBigShow722

TheBigShow722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

i said "then number 1 player."

morgan pressel gets less airtime than wie.

and i don't know how often you watch the golf channel or read golf magazines, but michelle wie gets sooooo much airtime.

...and yes, you are right. this shouldn't be here haha

#9 TheBigShow722

TheBigShow722

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

enlighten me, please, as to why there is a segement about michelle wie during the golf channel's "live from the british open"...ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE TO THE TOURNAMENT.

my point is that she gets too much airtime

#10 cardia10

cardia10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11435
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Charles Barkley has won as many LPGA events as Wie. I am over her until she proves herself. Win, or at least finish, a tournament and I might pay attention again.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Birdman of Alcatraz

Birdman of Alcatraz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8234
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

Michelle Wie WITB......who cares?

#12 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

View PostBirdman of Alcatraz, on Dec 15 2007, 07:01 AM, said:

Michelle Wie WITB......who cares?

In no particular order, Nike, Michelle Wie, me, and curious fans worldwide.

Now, what, exactly, was your post supposed to add to the discussion?  Even those who posted critical replies before you had something interesting and thoughtful to add...

#13 SirDavey

SirDavey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46902

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

I think there is too much pressure on all these new young players to come out and be the next Tiger Woods. I cringe every time I watch golf on CBS and NBC when a no name player (or "dark horse" player) some how is on top of the leader board and the comentators are saying things like "We're going to be seeing alot more of this guy on the leader board or something like that" like they some how knew all along this person was going to win, and if that player does make it big those commentators can have the satifaction of "knowing it." We as golf fans have too high expectations for the young player, and we have to understand that even though young players like Wie have the game to "mop the floor" with any player one on one, it'll take some time before she/they will develop the nerves of a tiger (woods)...

#14 SwingLikeElk

SwingLikeElk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57137
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

On the other hand, commentators also usually say they are shocked when certain players who might be winning a specific event haven't won more often. Jack just said it about Mike Weir and Johnny says it about Stewart Cink all the time. As far as Wie is concerned, she's got 2 problems...her head and her father. Leadbetter must cringe when daddy comes to the range.
Ping G10 10.5 - Diamana Blue stiff
T.E.Exotics CB2 15 - V2 stiff
Hogan CFT 19 - V2 stiff
Mizuno MX17 (3i)  MP60 (4-PW) - DG S300
Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie
Mizuno MP-T 53 & 60 - DG S300

#15 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Advanced

• 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22931
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:03 AM

View PostTheBigShow722, on Jun 24 2007, 06:24 PM, said:

Have you ever seen her in person? Before her injuries she had a great swing as well as charisma. When you see her in person, swinging as she can, you realize there is something else there other than just another golfer with no personality or draw. That's why when she's in a tournament she draws a crowd. That's why people who are experts in the business at Nike and Sony paid her a lot of money - because she is different. And truthfully, to excel as she did at a very young age she has to have a lot of heart. She's still very young and has a tremendous future ahead of he.

Now, having said the above I think she needs to get back on the correct path to convince the 'doubters' that she can play. That's as it should be. I think she took a step in the right direction with the German Open.

In the meantime, I don't think you can justify your comment that she can't play for crap. IMO, that's just crap. In addition, publicity is what draws the money that makes all the golf on TV available. If you were able to get the publicity they'd pay you all that money. If they paid you all that money and you had an off year what would you do - give all the money back? Or would you do what Wie is doing - working to get your swing and game back?

#16 Redhaze737

Redhaze737

Advanced

• 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22931
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

View PostSwingLikeElk, on Jun 7 2008, 05:38 PM, said:

On the other hand, commentators also usually say they are shocked when certain players who might be winning a specific event haven't won more often. Jack just said it about Mike Weir and Johnny says it about Stewart Cink all the time. As far as Wie is concerned, she's got 2 problems...her head and her father. Leadbetter must cringe when daddy comes to the range.

Leadbetter is very cordial with Wie's father and mother. I've seen him talking to them on the range. I think they all want the best for Wie and it's a learning process. I also don't think there is anything wrong with Wie's head. She's going to Stanford, has a lot of money in the bank, and is playing golf professionally at a young age. She graduated from high school, started college at a major institution, and injured her wrists at virtually the same time. That's a lot. Then she tried to play golf with the injury which was a very bad idea. Nobody knows who was running the ship - the golfer, the parents, the sponsors, or a combination thereof so we don't know who is at fault. I think everyone needs to take a step back and watch to see if she can work her way out of all this. In another year, if she's still playing poorly and making reportedly bad decisions then you can jump on the dump Wie bandwagon. I think for now it's all subject to your point of view.

I know I saw her play several times when she was swinging well and she had a great golf swing. She had a better swing than 99% of the women on the LPGA that I saw. Plus she hit it farther. That's a very good combination for making money on the LPGA and for your sponsors. I think she'll play well again.

#17 SwingLikeElk

SwingLikeElk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57137
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

Being cordial is the sign of a gentleman. It doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer her father to play more of a minor role. I firmly believe she needs to become her own person, which unfortunately means she needs to be thrust into independent adulthood, which she may not be ready for. By the time she's in her late 20's, if she hasn't accomplished gaining her independence, she'll be dead in the water. That has to come before golf, or anything in life. Her talent is immense...in fact, beyond words. But she has to become Michelle Wie on her own. Not what Nike wants, or what her parents want. Lorena Ochoa is wise beyond her years and you can't say that yet about Wie. It's like she is stuck in this area where people expect so much but she's not capable of delivering. I hope everyone lets her become the person she WILL become, on her time and terms.
Ping G10 10.5 - Diamana Blue stiff
T.E.Exotics CB2 15 - V2 stiff
Hogan CFT 19 - V2 stiff
Mizuno MX17 (3i)  MP60 (4-PW) - DG S300
Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie
Mizuno MP-T 53 & 60 - DG S300

#18 xd3vilx

xd3vilx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48280

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

full credit to michelle wie i think she is a good player. however, i strongly believe there are even more better young players who don't get half as much of publicity as michelle wie get. for me she is just a hype. of course she is young and still have lots of time to prove me wrong.

#19 jonesy369

jonesy369

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54025

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

People are interested in Wie because, per Wikipedia, her amateur career was amazing for such a young player:

In 2002, Wie won the Hawaii State Open Women's Division by thirteen shots over LPGA player Cindy Rarick. In 2002 she also became, at age 12, the youngest player to qualify for an LPGA event, the Takefuji Classic where she missed the cut. The record stood until 2007 when it was broken by 11-year-old Ariya Jutanugarn.[6]

In 2003, she became the youngest player to make a cut in an LPGA event at the Kraft Nabisco Championship, shooting a 66 in the 3rd round, tying the amateur record for a women's major championship, and placing her in the final group alongside Annika Sörenstam and eventual winner, Patricia Meunier-Lebouc. A few months later, Wie earned a historic victory at the Women's Amateur Public Links tournament, becoming the youngest person ever, male or female, to win a USGA adult event. She also became the youngest player to make the cut in the history of the US Women's Open, where she placed 39th. [7]

In 2004 Wie became the fourth female, and the youngest ever, to play in a PGA Tour event at the Sony Open in Hawaii. Playing on a sponsor's exemption, she shot 72-68 to finish at even par, missing the cut by one stroke.

That year, Wie became the youngest woman ever to play on the victorious U.S. Curtis Cup team. She went on to finish fourth in the Kraft Nabisco Championship. If she had played the 2004 season as a professional, she would have earned over US$250,000 from her tournament results.

That's a pretty remarkable record by age *14*.

Since then, things have obviously gone a little wrong, and the efforts to force feed her on to the PGA Tour were absurd. But there was a lot to dream on there, and it wasn't just hype.

#20 golfwire

golfwire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31877

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

I dunno. I would save my agitation and fustration with her parents. She's just a kid man, being mismanaged by people around here.

Her parents are the anti-woods parents, in that she never learned to "win" at her peer group.

Me personally, I'd like to see her do well. Why not. All that talent...just sucks that she has been mismanaged.

Most of the time, bratty kids are because parents never taught them any better. Just my opinion

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 F_N

F_N

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48533
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

Posted Image

#22 seanylax21

seanylax21

FSU PGM Student

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41715
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:seanylax21

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

What? No more Sony bag? Hmm and what clubs are in that bag?
Titleist 913 D3 Aldila RIP Alpha 60S
Titleist 913 F Aldila NV 75S
Titleist 913 H Diamana S+ 82S
Titleist 712 U 3-4, 714 AP2 5-9 PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM4 47, 54, 60 DGS300
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 34in

#23 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Just saw this just sitting on a cart today.... Miss Wie was inside having lunch with her parents.  I asked the bag guy if it would be okay to snap a couple of pictures. iPhone pics, but they aren't too bad.
Wie1.gif
Wie2.gif
Wie3.gif

#24 RCGA

RCGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106047

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

^ I don't think she has enough fairway woods / hybrids

#25 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

RCGA, on 09 May 2010 - 08:51 AM, said:

^ I don't think she has enough fairway woods / hybrids
She must have been experimenting... I think I count more than 14 clubs in the bag...

Edited by HeadonaStick, 09 May 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#26 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

HeadonaStick, on 08 May 2010 - 10:15 PM, said:

Just saw this just sitting on a cart today.... Miss Wie was inside having lunch with her parents.  I asked the bag guy if it would be okay to snap a couple of pictures. iPhone pics, but they aren't too bad.

Where was that?  :)

#27 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

rblmp32, on 09 May 2010 - 01:08 PM, said:

We were playing at Champion's gate in Orlando.  It's where Ledbetter's Academy is located.

#28 rblmp32

rblmp32

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

HeadonaStick, on 09 May 2010 - 01:31 PM, said:

We were playing at Champion's gate in Orlando.  It's where Ledbetter's Academy is located.

Leadbetters Academy is there no kiddin? ;)  

That's cool though... did you enjoy the course?

#29 HeadonaStick

HeadonaStick

Major Winner

• 4,720 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

rblmp32, on 09 May 2010 - 01:38 PM, said:

HeadonaStick, on 09 May 2010 - 01:31 PM, said:

We were playing at Champion's [G]ate in Orlando.  It's where Ledbetter's Academy is located.

Leadbetters Academy is there no kiddin? ;)  

That's cool though... did you enjoy the course?
The course was great. We played the International Course.  It ate me up, but it was still fun.  I really enjoyed my day... great service, great course, good food.

#30 electroleum

electroleum

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22105
  • Ebay ID:electroleum
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

I'd love to get my hands on one of those Sony bags. Big fan of the black/hot pink colour combo

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors