Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

44 inch driver.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lysaght68

lysaght68

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8702
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

Prior to getting fit for a new shaft for my Comp I'm considering having my current shaft cut down from 45 to 44 inches and play it for a few rounds and range sessions so I can determine how much better my clubface contact and accuracy will be with a shorter driver.  Since my first 400+cc stick I haven't played anything shorter than 45 inches.  I realize the swingweight issue will need to be addressed with some type of grip end counterbalancing but I'm curious about whether I should be aware of any potential performance differences in the shaft (butt trimmed, not tipped).  When a clubbuilder assembles a shorter length driver does he/she tip trim it any differently than a 45+ inch driver?  Also, for those of you playing/building 44.5 inch and shorter drivers, are you using 65 gram and lower weight shafts or are 70+ gram and heavier usually a better choice for the shorter driver?

I've got my shaft choices narrowed down but I'm not completely certain what final length and weight to choose so I want as much information as possible before I pull the trigger.  Any and all thoughts are much appreciated.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 chien99

chien99

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7216
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

Joe,

For cutting the club length within 1.5 inch, it should have no big different effected on your driving distance. To cut the club down to 44 inch long will need to be considered one important impact on total weight. I don't know your ideal total weight, but when you shorter your club to 44 inch, you will need to keep the total weight within your expectation then you will have similar swing setup.

The key in here is the frequency for this 44 inch club setup. If you want to keep the same shaft feeling when you load your power into the shaft on up/down swing, frequency testing is important to keep the consistent swing feeling for the new club setup.

For the hitting feeling matching to the new club, Swing weight is the way but I prefer MOI matching, since the MOI matching hitting feeling can be copied over 90% similar with my existing clubs. The key by using MOI matching for club setup is" it will come out low SW, but adjust the MOI to the biggest for the overal setup". Remember the MOI matching is a dynamic data that is unlike SW matching for static data.

Shortening the club length will increase the SW, if you keep the same club setup in shaft weight, head and grip. Therefore overall club weight setup is important. I don't know your SS, but if you really want to make up good 44 inch in this case, try to pick up shaft weight around 70g and test the frequency then determine whether or not it is fit to your preference. Hope it helps

chien

#3 Golfer Gavin

Golfer Gavin

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14101

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

wouldnt the ball flight lower with a shorter shaft? im not sure though. it might stay the same

#4 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9650
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

I cut mine down from 45" to 44" and I haven't felt any weight difference.  No distance loss and accuracy is better.  Soem say I have gained distamce since cutting it down...

Edited by Jer-Jer, 12 June 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#5 badstrick

badstrick

I'd Hit That! It's Tour Issued!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1774
  • Ebay ID:badstrick

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

I've hit some of my longest drives with a 44" driver.  You just seem to find the sweet spot so much easier!  Good luck with your experiment and let us know.

#6 rockstar571

rockstar571

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1084

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

i find that with a shorter driver my swing gets a bit too steep...just a thought

#7 grillnugz

grillnugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122233
  • Ebay ID:kinebrother
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

cutting mine down and i hope it makes my swing a little steeper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors