Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

10 Finger Grip (Baseball) vs Interlocking\Overlapping

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Garrett77

Garrett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53222
  • Ebay ID:gbgolfshop
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Well heres the story, I'm currently a junior golfer with a 10 finger grip or a baseball grip. I've had this grip for just about my whole golfing career, and I really haven't put to much thought into it except for these last couple years. I've been discussing and going over the pros and cons of this with my father, my older brother, and various instructors. Most of the feedback has been good towards the 10 finger grip, my father even had a chance to speak with Scott Peircys( one of the PGA tour pros using the 10 finger grip) teacher saying that if i've been using it, theres no reason to stop, many people have made it work and have played great golf.

Even after hearing these things I still think about it, will the grip hold up over the years especially if i plan to play at the higher levels of golf, will it be as consistent as the interlocking\overlap grip. But I guess thats what brings me here to golfWRX, I really just wanted to hear some more thoughts and opinions on each one of these grips, I really do appreciate your time everyone, thanks.

- Garrett

*additional info*
- High School Golfer, 3 handicap (getting lower :good:), Junior in HS at 17 years of age.

Edited by Garrett77, 23 February 2010 - 12:31 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jsanatx

jsanatx

God Bless Texas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77107
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

I play the baseball grip out of necessity.  a few years ago i broke a bone in my little finger and everytime i try to do an overlap, its very uncomfortable.  i've heard that i may be losing some of the feel by not overlapping or inter-locking and i don;t doubt it.  The real test is, do you feel comfortable and do you like it?  if the answer is yes, then go for it, although it doesn't hurt getting some opinions.  good luck.
Titleist 913 D2 w/GD Tour AD BB
Ping G25 15* 3w
Titleist AP1 712 s w/GD Tour AD 65i 5-PW
Adams PNT v1 and v2 19* and 22*
Vokey SM 52*, SM4 56*, SM4 60*
SC Buttonback NP2 "El Chingon"

#3 Zooko23

Zooko23

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100992
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

I play it; played when i was in high school, when i was in college and still play it now as a teaching pro. I have small hands with fat fingers so it never felt comfortable to interlock and overlap sometimes my index finger would slip off plus I was playing baseball at the time and changing grips just felt weird. Me as a teacher, personally, dont care how you hold the club as long as the placement is correct in you hands. Also I have taken lessons from 5 different ppl and not one has ask me to change from 10 finger. Doesnt mean I dont dabble in it everyonce in a while. But golf is all about being comfortable with your game and its starts when the club isnt moving. And the club isnt moving when you are getting your grip. Do add another variable to a game that has hundreds of them everytime you swing the club

#4 -GoldenHawk-

-GoldenHawk-

Derek-Jon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100779
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

I was using the baseball grip up until last year (junior year of high school). I was encouraged to switch to interlock by my coach and have about as much success with that as I did with the 10 finger. I'm not really biased towards either one and am considering going back to baseball grip my senior year...we'll just have to see which is more comfortable -- but I did shoot lower scores with the interlocking.

#5 rockwallraider

rockwallraider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18308

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

makes it tougher to use your hands as a unit but works well for people with small weaker hands.  I played that way for years but once I got serious about golf switched.  it will feel weird for awhile to switch but if you sre in highschool then you have plenty of time to beat balls so it will feel fine after a couple of days.

Edited by rockwallraider, 23 February 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#6 rockwallraider

rockwallraider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

I also will add that I am 34 and had never gripped the club properly until I met Slicefixer.  He is super anal about grip and even he could show me ( me being a jackass that cannot look at someones grip and copy it just by looking ).  amazing to me that I was able to shoot some of the scores I did with such a crappy grip but that is why I could shoot 75 one day and shoot 87 the next.

#7 Garrett77

Garrett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

I appreciate all the advice thus far everyone. Yes the grip does feel good, but that probably has alot to do with the fact I've been using it for a while. A few weeks ago, I tried the interlocking grip for roughly 2 weeks, swing felt decent, but i do have problems with the right hand pinky. I think some of it has to do with a boxers fracture I had in that area a year ago. But regardless my biggest thing is, can the 10 finger grip be as consistent as the interlocking\overlap. If anyone has any pga pros names off the top of there head that have had success with the grip, I'd appreciate some names so I could look them up.

Anways, I really appreciate all the replies so far, thanks.

- G

#8 rockwallraider

rockwallraider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

bob estes used it for awhile but has since gone back to traditional

#9 im a doughball

im a doughball

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80303
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

If your grip is sound,  I don't care which way you hold it.  In my  mind it is more importand to have a neutral grip with both hands working together than anything else.  So as long as the two "v's" created by your thumb and index finger are pointed around your right shoulder/collarbone go for it.

#10 Jooma

Jooma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64013
  • Ebay ID:marksakowski
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

It is not importand HOW, HOW MANY that counts.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 enotsyer

enotsyer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87814
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

Having recently changed my grip from interlocking to overlapping, I can tell you about my experience of what it was like to change grips.  I had used interlocking since I started playing golf and never really thought about how I put my hands on the golf club (I know, stupid).  Either way, took some lessons last year, played some of my best golf but was still lacking consistency - more importantly, developed a nasty case of the hooks with my driver and woods.  After some research and more lessons, my golf pro and I changed my grip to a much weaker one, and I decided to change to an overlapping grip.  I changed because I wanted to completely get away from what I was used to (which was wrong for several reasons, not saying interlocking or overlapping is better or worse), and overlapping is what 90% of the pga pros use so why not do what the majority does.  Like you said, at first the grip change felt very weird, but as I hit more balls and had a few more practice sessions with my teacher I started to feel like I was more consistently making good contact, and hitting down on the ball better.  I also practiced my new grip while watching tv, every day for weeks, annoying everyone in the house in the process.

I guess where I'm heading is that the grip change was good for me because I didn't have a very good grip to begin with - it was waaaay too strong and caused some inconsistencies that I had to fix through timing.  You're a 3 handicap, so clearly there is a lot more right with your grip than there was with mine.  If your grip is working for you, I wouldn't necessarily change it - however, if you decide to change your grip, I recommend practicing it every day in your spare time, just by picking up the club while watching tv even, and that will make the transition to whatever grip you choose easier.  Good luck!

#12 DFinch

DFinch

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

10 finger grip here. I've tried to switch away from it before but I always go back.
TM SLDR 430 10.5* Fuji 7.3
Callaway XHot 3Deep/5Deep
TM SLDR irons 4-AW
TM RAC Z TP 54*/60*
Odyssey #7 Versa Tank 38"
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DFinch

#13 Brutus3

Brutus3

My car will not run without golf clubs...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101510
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hah!  I was just going to post this question as I play a 10 finger grip.  Everyone sees me as some sort of amomoly or something.  Including some local pros I play with!  I was always curious if I was the last golfer using this grip.  Glad I'm not.  I simply cannot grip it any other way now... Tried overlap, tried interlock... Nope... No joy.

Edited by Brutus3, 26 February 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#14 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

From the Cheap Seats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

You have to live with the results, so no one can tell you what is right for you.

Bob Rosburg, Moe Norman, and others have used the 10 finger grip.  Steve Jones used a reverse overlap, and Furyk uses a double overlap.  You even have the odd guy here and there (like Josh Broadway) with a left hand low grip for full swings.

The far and away most consistent golfer I know has a home made swing and 10 finger grip.  I have played with him more than 50 times and he was between 75 and 88 every single time with the most consistent shot pattern and ball striking that I have witnessed.

If anything, I think a 10 finger grip would more likely affect how good you can get and not necessarily how consistent you can be.

Edited by RighttoLeft, 26 February 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#15 Texsport

Texsport

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

I have tried overlap, reverse overlap, interlock, and now use the 10 finger because of a finger injury and advice from my Orthopedic Surgeon.

I'm not using it because of hand weakness, as my hands and wrists are very strong, the product of work and a lifetime of doing wrist curls with a 50 lb. dumbell.

At first I couldn't get used to the feel, but now actually believe it has added distance for me on full shots.

The biggest problem to overcome on full shots was hooking a lot of shots, but adjusting hand positions and bending my clubs 1/2-1* flatter has corrected this. One thing I do better with the 10 finger, for some reason, is maintain my left hand grip pressure throughout. I always have had a habit of letting the club turn in transition because of left hand loosening.

Around the green I still use the overlap, but am experimenting with the 10 finger. It does allow more wrist action on shots which require it.(I beleieve that Phil Rodgers may teach a 10 finger grip for his style of flop shots)

Overall, I'd say you must make some adjustments if switching to 10 finger, but once you figure them out, it's as good as any grip for me.I do believe that I have more feel for the clubhead all the way thru the swing and thru impact. It's just a different feel---more into the right hand--naturally.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 26 February 2010 - 11:18 AM.

#16 Garrett77

Garrett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the time and effort you guys put into these posts. As far as i stand right now, I believe I'll just stick with the 10 finger grip, and hopefully keep on having some success. Once again, thanks everyone.

- G

#17 ideszamarch

ideszamarch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 224815
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have been toying with the idea of the ten finger grip. Currently I have my left hand extended beyond the butt handle of the club and my right pinky finger overlapping my left hand. That leaves me with 8 fingers on the club. The arguments I've read in favor of the standard overlapping grip ( which mine is not)  usually refer to having the hands act as a unit. I  disagree with that. My feeling is that if you tend to be the kind of golfer that has or is going to have your hands in conflict during the swing, it doesn't matter what grip you use. I think it takes the same skill and mentality to keep your hands acting as one unit if it's overlapped, interlocked or ten finger. If you use the ten finger grip, look at it as an advantage because you would never be able to hit or control a baseball bat effectively with an overlapping grip or interlocking grip."They always refer to the baseball grip for golf but never the golfers grips for baseball..Why?   Would it have made Ted Williams a better hitter?.   FOOOOOORE at Fenway Park.?  Really?

#18 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 930

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

It really shouldn't be called baseball grip it's just like Vardon, only pinky is on the shaft.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#19 Nick4DX

Nick4DX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 233411
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'm 57 and started playing 49 years ago.  I used the 10 finger for almost all of that time but at the urging of my teacher switched to the overlap.  I never, in 18 months of using the overlap, hit the ball as well as I did with the 10 finger.  I'm glad that I'm back.  Bottom line, if it works for you don't change what you're doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors