Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Greg Norman Cobra Blades...........

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorLoomis

DoctorLoomis

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124787
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

From what I was told, these blades were forged by MacGregor and had the Cobra logo stamped on them. At the time these irons were made, Norman had his personal irons hand ground by Don White at MacGregor. I have seen a couple of these sets but NOT with the TOUR stamped hosel. Can anyone provide any further background on these irons???

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 guri

guri

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10790
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:33 AM

Great find mate, takes you back to the 1993 British Open Championship. Can just picture him puring those iron shots in the wind.

#3 Paul Stewart Jones

Paul Stewart Jones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25691
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

Ive got the sandwedge from that set also with tour stamped on the hossel.

There has been some of the normal sets on ebay over the last year, not seen that many with tour stamp on the hossel though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 23022010065.jpg
  • 23022010067.jpg

#4 guppy93

guppy93

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1669

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:35 AM

BOYS THE TOUR HEAD-

is actually the head that other staff such as lehman played.
they were also available by customer order at the time.
i did order a set from my club and found the non tour set
about a year after that.the non tour set has these differences
and were actually the model he played.

deeper stampings especially signature
thicker muscle
narrower sole especially on the heel
slightly diff top line more attractive in my opinion
a little less offset

yes they were made by mac dw as most clubs were back then,lol
any1 without a contract either played macs or zunos

i have had about 12 sets of these and the non tour head is the nutz.

they however need some tlc grinding as they are a bit diggy
with little bounce,but that fit normans pick profile and augustas
fairways.

still have a set or 2 left.
redid a set about 1 1/2 years ago and sold them on ebay.
shiny chrome from iron factory.

cheers  willy

#5 HappyGas

HappyGas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102265

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

I picked up a set of these about 7 years ago from a place called House of Forged in San Diego.  They no longer sell clubs.

I have the NON-TOUR set.  I would have to agree that this set is the NUTS.  Small sweet spot and ONLY a golf club for one with some patience.  

They show up on eBay from time to time.  

Very true in the the heads are a bit more "fragile" and show ding marks rather easy in comparison to the other forged blades I have.

I'll try to post a pic mine later.

The OTHER fantastic "signature set" is the Seve Ballesteros Dunlop set.  They come NUMBERED.  Pins in the hosel ((like Hogan Blades)).

HappyGas

#6 astamm8

astamm8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47696
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Great info willy. Didn't the other pros usually play with ones stamped cobra, not Norman on the back?

Any word on those? The set I play is stamped cobra and looks just like the one iron lehman played forever. Were those ever available retail?

I can confirm the special order bit, I once say a beautiful set stamped macgregor and nicklaus in satin chrome, but they had a round toe, so I didn't get them.

And I concur, they're great clubs.

Edited by astamm8, 23 February 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#7 oneaugusta

oneaugusta

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14191
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

I hate to disagree with all of you but many years ago my brother had a set of these and I did some extensive research on them.  I don't think Don White or MacGregor ever had anything to do with these.  Cobra had a very good designer/engineer named Terry McCabe, I think was his name and he actually designed the Cobra Norman putter line as well, ( the boss of the moss still uses it) He later moved to Titleist where he also designed the 975D driver.  I'm not sure if he is still around or is retired but he was very very good.

Edited by oneaugusta, 23 February 2010 - 05:01 PM.

Titleist 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi purple
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZTX2's Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
Byron Morgan DH11 Mixed Metal Rincon
Byron Morgan 612 Mixed Metal Rincon

#8 HappyGas

HappyGas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102265

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

Here is some pics of my Cobra Greg Norman irons.  I picked them up about 7 years ago at an outfit in San Diego called "House of Forged".  They no longer sell clubs.

Note.....

1.  This set doesn't have "TOUR" on hosel...
2.  All the "Bag Chatter"....very fragile clubs.
3.  These have been refinished........

Attached Images

• CIMG6782.jpg
  • CIMG6777.jpg
  • CIMG6781.jpg

#9 RobS

RobS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 593
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

View Postoneaugusta, on 23 February 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

I hate to disagree with all of you but many years ago my brother had a set of these and I did some extensive research on them.  I don't think Don White or MacGregor ever had anything to do with these.  Cobra had a very good designer/engineer named Terry McCabe, I think was his name and he actually designed the Cobra Norman putter line as well, ( the boss of the moss still uses it) He later moved to Titleist where he also designed the 975D driver.  I'm not sure if he is still around or is retired but he was very very good.

The Norman Signature blade is a MacGregor 985 iron head (one of the later versions, they made several).  Norman played the MacGregor 985 for part of his career and when he became part of Cobra, they contracted MacGregor to make a limited number of sets.  As far as Don White's involvement, I don't know if had anything to do with the retail clubs but he did the work on Norman's. http://www.golfweek....erican-classic/

#10 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2047

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Dammit these are so sexy.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostRobS, on 24 February 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

View Postoneaugusta, on 23 February 2010 - 04:59 PM, said:

The Norman Signature blade is a MacGregor 985 iron head (one of the later versions, they made several).  Norman played the MacGregor 985 for part of his career and when he became part of Cobra, they contracted MacGregor to make a limited number of sets.  As far as Don White's involvement, I don't know if had anything to do with the retail clubs but he did the work on Norman's. http://www.golfweek....erican-classic/

I concur with all that you stated.  I had a set about nine years ago and indeed, they were based on the Tourney Custom 985 head which was in turn based on the Tommy Armour Silver Scot 915/925/985 Series made by MacGregor for several decades.
Wilson Staff D-100 10.5*, Claymore R
WS D-100 3-wood, 19* hybrid, Matrix R
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
WS D-100 5-gw, Matrix Studio 6.1 R
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#12 jaybeekay

jaybeekay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138762
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

speaking of cobra blades...
the s3 pro forged blades are money...
i have hit my best, most crisp feeling iron shots with them to date...

#13 cwbrion

cwbrion

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105039
  • Ebay ID:cwbrion21
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

When Norman first signed with Cobra he actually played with Irons that were stamped McGregor along the bottom of the blades.  I don't think he actually played the similar ones to the above pics very much if at all.

#14 pro-fitt

pro-fitt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101692
  • Ebay ID:PRO-FITT
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

great clubs I have had a couple of sets and still have a (tour) 1 iron in my 1 iron collection. The story I heard Greg told Spalding in 91 he wanted half of everything with his name on it Spalding said no thus Greg did not renew contract hooked up with Cobra since it was owned by a fellow aussie. since he was friends with Jack Nicklaus and Cobra had no blades MacGregor stepped in. Greg picked the 985 reverse muscleback head to lower and control ball flight. I was told there was 3 versions the first 2 were same grind different stampings (1st did not have Gregs signature) the third set was produced the last 2 yrs 95-96 with slightly more rounded heel and toe, slightly more narrowed sole and had tour stamped on hosel. I have had the tour set and 2nd version both will make u concentrate realiy really hard.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_06661.JPG
  • IMG_06671.JPG

#15 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

I stated in another post that these were one of the smallest heads I have seen.  They are beauties and
can be difficult to hit consistently.  They are a ball strikers iron.

#16 astamm8

astamm8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47696
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Postpro-fitt, on 21 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

great clubs I have had a couple of sets and still have a (tour) 1 iron in my 1 iron collection. The story I heard Greg told Spalding in 91 he wanted half of everything with his name on it Spalding said no thus Greg did not renew contract hooked up with Cobra since it was owned by a fellow aussie. since he was friends with Jack Nicklaus and Cobra had no blades MacGregor stepped in. Greg picked the 985 reverse muscleback head to lower and control ball flight. I was told there was 3 versions the first 2 were same grind different stampings (1st did not have Gregs signature) the third set was produced the last 2 yrs 95-96 with slightly more rounded heel and toe, slightly more narrowed sole and had tour stamped on hosel. I have had the tour set and 2nd version both will make u concentrate realiy really hard.

The set without Norman's signature is identical to the "Tour" set other than the signature. The other set (with the deeper signature stamp), has the narrower sole (particularly the heel), is more rounded (especially the toe), and has a ticker muscle, less (no) offest, and a longer hosel.

At Sandwich in '93 Norman was playing a set that looks identical to that non "tour" set, with the same deeper signature stamp and thinner sole. I have no idea if he ever played the other version.

To address some other comments, Cobra made blades but had nothing forged at the time, which is (I think) how MacGregor comes into the picture.

Don White confirmed to me personally that MacGregor made the MacCobras, but he didn't know about the two versions, so I have no idea there. Maybe at some point Cobra started to make it's own version...

I don't think the heads are that small, especially the "tour" version, which weren't small at all at the time. They're nowhere near as small as say a Muirfield or even a PMB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors