Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

blades vs game improvement

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jy33

jy33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103322
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

I have a dilemma,
I am a pretty good player and have no problem playing blades...9 out of 10 shots i hit are on sweet spot.

i am currently playing Mizuno grad MP's which are an older cavity back blade iron (and i love em), my 3-5 sets before these have been hogan apex blades and i am looking for a new set.

Here is my dilemma...even though i hit the ball good, why not take advantage of todays tech???
See i have a set of brand new (never hit) Mizuno MX200 irons (dad used his Marriott points to get them for me for X-mas) and i cant decide to sell, trade or play them; see i dont want to play with them to ruin the value, the reviews i have read are great everyone who plays them seem to really like them.

I have always believed that its not how good your good shots are, but how good your bad shots are...that being said and as have previously stated, why not take advantage of todays tech...

Any input from anyone who has went from blades to a G.I. club like these???

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 2840

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

It sounds like you answered your own question. :-)

If you look at the tournament pics on GolfWRX you will see a lot of pros with GI or cavity backed players' irons in their bags.

I've gone from a player's club to a GI club and am glad I did. The bottom line is play what works best for you. The scorecard doesn't care what equipment you play, just how many strokes it took you to get the ball in the hole.
You can't divide the swing,
into parts,
and still have a swing.
Ernest Jones

#3 jy33

jy33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Guess to clerify on my post here....

I am looking into a new set of irons and I have a new set of MX200's...i believe i can get by the clunkier looks, but before i take them out for a test run...just looking for some opinions??? Because if i decide to take them out i wont be able to say "never been used" if i decide to sell

#4 lunny

lunny

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91520
  • Ebay ID:lunny34
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:46 PM

I would swing into Golf galaxy or golfsmith and swing all of the Mizunos! To be honest i am worse with GI clubs than blades!!!! I cant handle the top line on GI clubs and how light they are. So having said that when you go into buy clubs first pick the ones you like the looks of from approach. Then swing the couple you have chosen and decide on which feels the best. Doesnt matter if its a blade or a shovel if youre comfortable with it then you will swing it better.

#5 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

there are a lot of player's cavities these days that can combine the forgiveness and workability. as you said, it doesn't hurt to take advantage of today's technology where you don't have to sacrifice workability for forgiveness.  as defcon said, check out how many pros today are using player's cavities and shovels. billy mayfair i know uses G15 irons, not the i15, but G15.  my favorite golfer, zach johnson uses a AP1/AP2 combo set.

i've got some mizuno mp-60s, an older model, but i feel that they are just forgiving enough for me. just got them recently used for $230 from a member here, a great deal

from your sig, you are a scratch player so the MX200 may be too game improvement for you, coming from your grads. if you are looking for a new set and enjoy mizuno's, there are a ton of great mizuno sets that can be had for cheap these days.

some good player's cavities off the top of my head: mp30, mp32(a blade, but quite forgiving), mp60, mp62

good luck, and welcome to Golfwrx.

#6 jy33

jy33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

Well after i recieved them i went to my local edwin watts and demo'd one of there mx200 6 irons and WOW is all i could say..

My normal 6 iron is about 185yds and the mx200 on average was 205yds...i know the loft is stronger but thats a BIG difference...

I am just trying to decide if trading looks, playability (and my buddys asking me why the heck am i playing shovels) for that kind of distance increase is worth it??? plus i am worried how the short irons compare?

Just trying to get some help making up my mind....thank you all for your comments

#7 Bubb

Bubb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5072
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

I am all about GI clubs. I hope to get to a 3 index this year, and will stay with GI irons even if I get there. That said, the MX-200's are really big and are almost distracting to look at. I would get something a tad smaller. As far as performance, they're great, but after a good round you'll be chomping at the bit to see if you can get away with something smaller.
TE Exotics XCG6
Ping Anser 3-wood
Ping G25 hybrid 17*
Cobra S2 w/ graphite
Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
Vokey 56*

#8 jy33

jy33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

I know they are a bit big, but free is a really good price!!

Thanks everyone...prob be posting them for sale soon....

On that note, i was looking at the golfworks maltby Tricept F2 forged irons (look sweet) and golf galaxy only offered me 200 on trade for the mx200's brand new...i just cant see myself losing money on a set of mizuno's for a component club

#9 jameslacy3509

jameslacy3509

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99694

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:47 AM

What do you WANT to play?   Your heart and mind are in conflict.   Mind reasons to use the better technology but heart says stick with blades.   Go with your heart or you won't be happy.   A counter argument to switching to the easier might go:  If you can successfully play with a club that takes more skill, why go to something that takes less skill?  You might get lazy and let your skill level drop because you know you can make mistakes and be just fine.   I say stick with blades.   But to EACH their own.

#10 jy33

jy33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

This is exactly why I joined!!!!

Everyone here is great...Its just soooo hard for me not to try out some new sticks as im sure it is for many of you...all of your feedback has been great.

I was trying to convince myself that i can use these...
I know the thought was there, but this is why i tell people never to get me golf clubs!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jameslacy3509

jameslacy3509

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99694

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

View Postjy33, on 12 February 2010 - 12:59 AM, said:

This is exactly why I joined!!!!

Everyone here is great...Its just soooo hard for me not to try out some new sticks as im sure it is for many of you...all of your feedback has been great.

I was trying to convince myself that i can use these...
I know the thought was there, but this is why i tell people never to get me golf clubs!

HA!   Yeah with golf it is just give me the money and let me choose.   But if you are now in the market for a new set of irons and sell those MXs, go check out the MP 68s.   I fell in love with them and just got mine.   They are sweet and surprising forgiveness for a blade!  They are a little bigger than most blades and I am sure that is where the forgiveness comes from, but they are still beautiful play just as smooth.

#12 amerza18

amerza18

amerza18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25357

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

Went from playing mp33s to the mx25s, it was an extreme move probably should have gone to the 52s, but hindsight is 20-20, right.  The one thing that I finally got used to was the sole. With the 33s, it was easy to move through the turf. For some reason, the mx25s felt like they bounced off the turf, slightly. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I'm happy with making the move.

#13 kencanuck

kencanuck

Winter is here...pass me the Scotch!!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25796
  • Ebay ID:ken_canuck2003
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

Played the MX200's and I have a set of MX300's and hands down I would take the MX300's for looks, ball flight, and the fantastic sole grind...

Ken
Hmm...Today the bag will be...
Clev. Classic XL 9-HD7--RF TA 8.5-BB7x
Adams 3T - RIP Beta 80X
913hd-DI 105x - 20.5* & DHY 24*
J40's-5-6 DPC-7-PW CB SPB - Vokeys
Copper Morgan Mini - Betti BB8 Proto

#14 wfrogge1

wfrogge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88478
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

View Postamerza18, on 12 February 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

Went from playing mp33s to the mx25s, it was an extreme move probably should have gone to the 52s, but hindsight is 20-20, right.  The one thing that I finally got used to was the sole. With the 33s, it was easy to move through the turf. For some reason, the mx25s felt like they bounced off the turf, slightly. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I'm happy with making the move.

Chances are if you went back to a thin sole club you would remember how good it feels and dump the MX25's.

#15 amerza18

amerza18

amerza18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25357

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

View Postwfrogge1, on 12 February 2010 - 10:10 AM, said:

View Postamerza18, on 12 February 2010 - 09:50 AM, said:

Chances are if you went back to a thin sole club you would remember how good it feels and dump the MX25's.
Yea, if I played more. Was playing a ton, but now I only can get out once every 6 weeks or so. So when I play, I'd like some forgiveness.

#16 walts00

walts00

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67249
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

I say the bigger the better. I just wish more GI or SGI irons allowed you to control trajectory more without balooning everything. Shafts can only help so much. They need to start developing PSGI irons (player super game improvement irons) with high COG's.

#17 screaming eagle

screaming eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91789

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

Be very dubious about those LM figures from EW if it was  indoors. Those things are notoriously inaccurate and I hear often tweaked.   The only way to gauge flight or distance is outdoors off grass ideally i.e. A real world scenario. I would actuallly buy a cheap ebay demo or 2 and experiment that way, you can tinker with shafts L & L etc.
Just my own experience here;
Used to play Mp 33 in a 6.5 rifle. An improvment on my comp EZ. Then got fitted (  2 hrs, trackman, multiple shafts, heads combos) a slightly larger cavity muscle combo ( KZG tour evolutions ) a beautiful forged club with a 5.5. These initially improved my game but as my swing improved I wasn't seeing it reflected in the scores. Kept on like this for 18 months.   Frustrating and bewildering. Started dropping by the local big golf store and demoing lots of clubs new and used.
On a whim picked up a set of j36 blades at a steal privately. Took them on the course an shot equal to my best score. Was having a lot of trouble chunking and digging previous but now was leaving bacon strip divots. These are 6.0 and 1/2 in shorter too, maybe that's a factor.  Consitency eas up and ball flight down.   Yes there were some errant  shots, but you have to recover from a bad stroke no matter what club you play. If a matter of feet and inches is crucial to YOUR game then experiment and use what gives the best real world results. This may require a few clubs some accurateeasuring on length and dispersion, depends on what kind of facilities are open to your disposal.
I was really surprised from my results from what I'd read. I also believe that contemporary blades are a slightly different animal to thoseof 20 years ago for the most part. Perhaps this is a honeymoon thing but I don't think so, went to the range yest and the difference was palpable in every dept  for some reason I was way more consistent. Now this is just my experience mind you.
Welcome.

#18 Jay4

Jay4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46167
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Take accuracy over distance any day. I play MP-32 not the longest hitter, more so precision golf.

#19 Obsessotron

Obsessotron

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64793
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

View PostJay4, on 12 February 2010 - 02:13 PM, said:

Take accuracy over distance any day. I play MP-32 not the longest hitter, more so precision golf.

MP-32s are also surprisingly forgiving. They are such a nice club.

#20 Pauly567

Pauly567

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79981
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

I'm playing the MX-200s and will offer the following. Looks wise, I wished they were SLIGHTlY smaller. I know looks are subjective, but to me these clubs are not that big and I think the term shovel is thrown around a bit too often. While the MX200s are considered a GI iron, there are many levels of GI, and this iron leans toward the bottom, approaching the players category. There are much bigger GI irons out there. I wish the MX300 had been out when I bought these clubs last summer, but it wasn't and my swing is not ready for the 52s. I would love to seel them, but can't find a buyer.

If you are OK with the looks, the only thing I would pay very close attention to is the ball flight. I returned my first set, which I ordered with the stock XP shafts, and opted for DGS300. Even with those shafts, the ball flight is still higher than I would like in the 8 - PW. I'm told that these clubs are designed to get the ball up in the air, and that's definitely the case. Just something to consider.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 wfrogge1

wfrogge1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88478
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

View PostObsessotron, on 12 February 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostJay4, on 12 February 2010 - 02:13 PM, said:

MP-32s are also surprisingly forgiving. They are such a nice club.

I played the 32's for a few years and found them to be forgiving too... The MP68s feel like the 32s but even more forgiving IMHO.

#22 cusegolfer

cusegolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100245

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I am currently looking into new irons. I have played the Cleveland TA 7 for 5 years. I'm overdue! I am a pretty good ballstriker and want more of a players iron. Started with the MP 52, 57,62. But the other day the fitter blindly (to me)handed me the MP 68. After I pured it I had to look and was pleasantly surprised. Hit several more and fell in love. My distance numbers were on top of each other! Is this what I can expect from a blade? Please tell me the other advantages to playing a blade over a game improvement club in your opinion to help me make my decision easier. It's a huge jump forgiveness wise, but the feel is addicting! Was also looking for distance gains but quickly threw that aside when I saw the accuracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors