Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

mackenzie golfbags?

261 replies to this topic

Poll: mackenzie golfbags? (378 member(s) have cast votes)

do you like mackenzie golfbags?

1. yes i do like them. (259 votes [68.52%])

Percentage of vote: 68.52%

2. no i do not like them (119 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 slicer5

slicer5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100888
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

there is a lot of discussions about the mackenzie golf bags.some like them and some hate them.
my opinion is the following:i dont really like them,not the looks but i admire the quality.i dont like the old look on them,i think they stand out too much.

mackenzie.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mikey634w

mikey634w

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43068
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

I caddy and have carried them before.  They are nice bags (well balanced, clubs go in and out fairly easily, light weight).  The only bad thing is that the dye used to color the leather does wear off into your clothes.  It seems to happen real bad when it rains.  Now I've only carried the brown leather (which turned my entire shoulder red), so I can't speak of all the colors.  It is a classy bag though.

#3 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

I like plain and understated when it comes to my golf equipment, so it goes without saying that these bags are my cup of tea. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that having one makes you God's gift to retro style though, nor am I too keen on forking out the top side of four hundred quid for a pencil bag. I know the quality is undeniable, but that sort of money for what is, after all, a small carry bag, is a non-starter for me. I shall have to admire them from afar.

Edited by mat562, 06 February 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#4 CMAN300

CMAN300

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26858
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:22 PM

I'm sure they are very high quality and they should be for that price but to me they are very ugly.  I don't think that people are stupid for paying that much for a bag nor am I one of the people that think you have to be +6 to use it.

#5 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 630

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

Id rather drop that amount on a sick staffer from over at Tourspec

Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#6 PGA_09

PGA_09

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68911
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:28 AM

I like the look, but they seem to be a little impractical when compared to the more modern bags now. If you are walking, having a stand bag is very convenient in that you can just plop it down and have all of your clubs staring you in the face. Cart bags have many more pockets for storage, and if you are riding who cares how heavy it is.
Big Berth Alpha Oban Kiyoshi
X2 Hot 3 Deep Oban Kiyoshi
X2 Hot 5 Deep Oban Devotion
Apex Pro 4-PW KBS Custom
Metal X Milled Versa #9
MD2 54* & 60* KBS Custom
WITB Link

#7 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:25 AM

It's a nostalgia thing.

You play a round of golf with a Mackenzie bag..it's hard to describe in words...I edited a huge post out just to say that once you experience the feeling, you'll know it.

I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows, or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

It's hard to find an authentic 1940's leather bag in playable condition, so that is where Mackenzie comes in....although there is something that feels good about the minimalistic approach to golf club storage and cartage around a golf course...

Cheers

Edited by DL5treez, 07 February 2010 - 01:41 AM.

JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#8 TheHusky

TheHusky

South Paw Swagger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96618
  • Ebay ID:Thehusky508
GolfWRX Likes : -1

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:48 AM

I won't say I don't like these bags, but they don't fit me, I like a bigger bag with dividers and lots of pockets. I don't walk a course all the much so it wouldn't be the best bag for me in that respect. Now if I had to walk a course I knew and wanted to carry a few clubs on a hot day...I can see the use of a pencil bag. I've seen so much debate over this topic and call me crazy but what kind of bag you use might be the real last divider ( no pun intended) among golfers. We can all buy tour stuff on ebay and custom clubs, fittings, but the bags for the most part are something we can't change. Do we walk or carry? Staff bag, cart bag, ect. A thread posted a while back asked if a staff bag was pretentious for amateurs, I've yet to see one asking if my tour issue shaft, putter, and driver is too much for an amateur... ( I digress, haha.  just my opinion)

#9 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99741
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag.  Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better.  Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee.  I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag.

#10 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostCrimson0516, on 07 February 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

Own both the Mackenzie Bag and the McKennon Player's Bag.  Like the McKennon Player's Bag much better.  Lighter, less expensive, better leather and a better guarantee.  I guess my answer would be that I love that syle of bag, just prefer the Mckennon Bag over the MacKenzie Bag.

I see that Mike McKennon honors the Mackenzie warranty.  Is there a partnership taking place, or is McKennon just doing some sly competitive strategy against their neighbor on the other end of town?

I checked out the McKennon site and was in Oswego yesterday--have to figure out a way to get a closer look @ the product.

JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

No clue about the partnership and I didn't notice the Mackenzie warranty mention on the McKennon site.  Thanks for the heads up.  No sure why someone would take a bag to another company to get repaired but there must be something to it.

I do know that McKennon tried to buy Mackenzie last year and it didn't work out.  Also heard some former Mackenzie employees were at McKennon now.  That either means they are are in some kind of partnership or in fierce competition.  I know McKennon spent most of the last decade with Nike Golf and is quite the player.  Other than that anyone would be lucky to own a bag from either company.

#12 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

It's at the bottom of their guarantee page.

We honor the Mackenzie Golf Bag warranty .  If your Mackenzie bag is under warranty, we will repair it at no charge.
JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#13 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

That's cool. McKennon did quote me two weeks for my bag and they missed the delivery date by 1 day.  As per their guarantee he sent me a check for 10% of the total order which was $97.  Mike called me to say he was sorry about it.  They get all their leather from England and it just took too long to get here.  Impressed me that he didn't make an excuse.  Just told me about the guarantee and sent me a check.  I hope my next one is late as well!

#14 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

That's cool!   If I hadn't have dropped 4 figures on a bedroom set yesterday maybe I'd order one while he's way behind and see if my luck works.  lol

PS....never let a woman pick furniture.
JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#15 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

I am in complete lust for a new MacKenzie. I have a nylon version but it's not the same thing. Nickels, dimes, and quarters accumulating as we speak. I can only say - if you get it, no one has to explain how people feel about these things. I will check out the McKennon's though.

#16 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:19 AM

Lust for a new Mackenzie! That is funny and it is very accurate.  I meant to mention the other thing I liked about McKennon was they offered the old school headcovers with the numbers on them.  Also Mike said they were working on a knit headcover with the big Pom Pom.  They would be cool.  He also said that they were close to bringing a waterproof leather bag to market.  Not sure how that works but that would really be sweet.  Also not sure if it is the "Player's Bag" style or another style

#17 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:03 AM

View PostCrimson0516, on 08 February 2010 - 12:19 AM, said:

Lust for a new Mackenzie! That is funny and it is very accurate.  I meant to mention the other thing I liked about McKennon was they offered the old school headcovers with the numbers on them.  Also Mike said they were working on a knit headcover with the big Pom Pom.  They would be cool.  He also said that they were close to bringing a waterproof leather bag to market.  Not sure how that works but that would really be sweet.  Also not sure if it is the "Player's Bag" style or another style

Mink oil works well to waterproof leather, but it has to be applied frequently....Aquaseal works, too.

Waterproof leather?  Hmm...maybe a layer of Gore-Tex, like a boot, or possibly some kind of poly varnish on the inside, like a kayak has.  ???  Hard to speculate.

The McKennon stuff looks nice.....ironic how both Mackenzie and McKennon are from the Portland area.

Edited by DL5treez, 08 February 2010 - 02:05 AM.

JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#18 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

He wouldn't give up any more inforamtion on it exept to say that it was an incredibly "simple" solution. Guess that kind that fits along the lines of their company theme or whatever you want to call it  (love the quote on his home page)  Maybe those two compnaies battle it out enough that the start dropping price on the bags!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Price war!!!!!!
JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#20 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Just exchanged emails with McKennon and he got a chuckle out of the mention of a price wars.  My guess is that is a no!  There isn't a partnership with Mackenzie. although he says he has known Todd for a long time.  He said they are in the middle of trying to get a large tounament order amnd if it happens they most likely would not make a bag for the direct consumer until May.  So, if you want one of these style of bags Mackenzie might be the only way to go until May!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 pjccjp

pjccjp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42414
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

View Postmikey634w, on 06 February 2010 - 04:23 PM, said:

I caddy and have carried them before.  They are nice bags (well balanced, clubs go in and out fairly easily, light weight).  The only bad thing is that the dye used to color the leather does wear off into your clothes.  It seems to happen real bad when it rains.  Now I've only carried the brown leather (which turned my entire shoulder red), so I can't speak of all the colors.  It is a classy bag though.

This is a big issue - can't have a bag "bleeding color" on your clothes.  This is the reason I quit carrying these bags - on a hot summer day the back of your shirt or shorts was black from the bag color rubbing off on you.  Look into this carefully before you buy.

#22 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

I assume that is more a questions of where Mackenzie sources their leather and not of their work in general.  Although, they are responsible for where they source their leather obviously.  I hope they gave you a new one at no charge.  McKennon sources their leather from Pittards in London or so it says on their site.  As far as I can tell Pittards is one of the most respected leather companies in the world and have quite the resume of golf companies they work with....another post mentioned earlier that McKennon honors Mackenzie warranty.  This would be the ultimate test of that claim!

#23 Golfingbanker

Golfingbanker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61924

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostDL5treez, on 07 February 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

It's a nostalgia thing.

You play a round of golf with a Mackenzie bag..it's hard to describe in words...I edited a huge post out just to say that once you experience the feeling, you'll know it.

I don't know really how to put it into words without writing a novel, but it's sort of like the reason some people choose to pay money for vinyl over CD's even though the sound quality blows, or drive a '62 Cadillac over a 2010 Cadillac that is more comfy, gets better mileage and doesn't break down every other week, or buy a 1969 Telecaster even though the Mexican one from 2008 sounds just as good if not better...

It's hard to find an authentic 1940's leather bag in playable condition, so that is where Mackenzie comes in....although there is something that feels good about the minimalistic approach to golf club storage and cartage around a golf course...

Cheers

+1  I got mine last year and the first round out was a late afternoon and I was one of a few on the course.  It took me right back to 1982 when I was walking at least 36 a day.  It is a quality bag and does feel very good on the shoulder.  

I also have a stand and cart bag for when it is appropriate.

As for the cost, you only live once and if you have the $$, enjoy it!

#24 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

$600-700 might look like a lot of cash to lay out for a golf bag, but consider a good leather coat is $300....

Not to mention people will drop $500 in a heartbeat for a driver that will be worth $99 in 3 years.   These bags have resale value for years after their initial purchase.

Beating a dead horse kind of here but if you 'get it' you'll understand completely.  If you don't 'get it' you never will be able to understand.  Nothing wrong with that; different strokes for different folks.
JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#25 Openwater22

Openwater22

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78259
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Love mine. It's like DL5treez says, either you get it, or you don't. All that really matters is we 'enjoy a good walk spoiled' every chance we get.

Todd, if you read this you never charged me for the "Sparty" headcover.

Cobra Bio Cell+ RT Technologies Ares LT
14* Yonex RT Technologies Ares LT
712 U 24*Modus and Muira 20* Fuji Fuel
714 AP2 5 thru PW Modus 120
Betti Triple Black BBZero Dass
Scratch 50* & 54* (SPN) 58* (LFC)

#26 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Goggled McKennon today

http://www.oregonliv...few_gizmos.html

I do wonder what the high school sweetheart looks like!

#27 AwkardTurtle

AwkardTurtle

Gerrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101674

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

I

I'm sorry, what did you just say?

#28 dan360

dan360

In the rough...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:21 AM

View PostAwkardTurtle, on 09 February 2010 - 10:37 PM, said:

I

I'm sorry, what did you just say?

:cheesy: No worries, mate....I drive a '62 Cadillac (with a working "wonderbar") and have the "warped" mind to enjoy vinyl....I was speaking sort of 3rd person/devil's advocate there, as the three examples I used are all in my house and/or garage.  

:drinks:

Edited by DL5treez, 10 February 2010 - 12:22 AM.

JPX 800 9
Super Hybrid xtd 15 / 19
i3 Blade 4-PW
MPT-10 54 / 60
B60F
L8 bag and FG Tours

#29 xmc

xmc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29689

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostCrimson0516, on 07 February 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

Any chance you could be a little more specific?  Do you think the craftsmanship is better?  How much lighter do you think?  Does your leather leach onto your clothing?  From just looking at the pictures it looks like an exact, or almost exact copy.  I have a probably 13-year old Peter Jacobsen canvas model, so I am familiar.  - thanks.

#30 Crimson0516

Crimson0516

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

I like the size better ($50 cheaper didn't really bother me either!) The overall style is very similar to the Mackenzie Bag but the slighly smaller size makes it lighter and overall more comfortable on my shoulder.  Mackenzie makes a 6 inch (which I have never liked in any bag, way too small) and an 8 inch.  McKennon is 7 inch diameter in the opening.  Again, not knocking either bag because anyone would be lucky to own either one of them.  Like any piece of equipment in golf it is just what I prefer.  Reading some of the comments after the article on line in Oregon's news paper it sounds like a pretty heated business climate between the two so I just want to make it clear I like them both!  Also like that McKennon it trying to innovate with the waterproof leather and the fact that they are associated with this big tournament mentioned in the article gives them lots of credibility at such an early stage of the company's exsitance.  When I Googled "McKennon Golf" is saw that he also qualified for the United States Mid Am and I love the fact that someone is in charge of the company that is a "player".  I hope that helps

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors