Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pencil grip

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77946
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

playing many years with the traditional putting style,  i found  myself coming up short of my personal goal. so what i decided todo is get a back to the basic crash course putting book, Dave  pelz's Putting bibble witch help a great deal. I played around with a couple of difference putting styles, and found myself feeling very confortable with the Pencil Grip that worked good with SBST stroke. I now also play a 34inch black series putter that feel and perform great. The problem is,  phycologically i now have to Take a new grip and sbst putting style  to course and around my playing partners. If anyone out there have experience anything simuliar please way in and give a little advice or share an experience.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 640 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

anyone any help

#3 Obsessotron

Obsessotron

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64793
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

I just never thought about putting that hard since I switched to cross-hand putting 5 or 6 years ago.

I can't screw up a cross-handed putt even if I try to, the only issue I have to worry about is how hard I hit it. Cross-handed putting has made me so comfortable with putting that I can't even remember the model of Odyssey putter I am using! I found it in my dad's garage and I use it.

#4 golfnut5438

golfnut5438

Aces Up

• 1,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39280
  • Ebay ID:golfnut5438
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

I went to the "saw" claw grip about 4 years ago on shorter putts. And the only comments I get is how long have you been doing that and why do you putt so much better with it. If it works, who cares what it looks like. Just think how many times Jim Furyk was told to change his swing. Bet he's glad he never changed his.

#5 aviator

aviator

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4737
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

I switched to the claw grip a while back on shorter putts and I honestly haven't had anyone ask me about it.  I've played with a somewhat regular group of guys for some time and I don't know if they just haven't noticed or don't care.  I know I make more putts inside of 10 feet with this grip, so I don't care.  I'd putt backwards on my head if it got the ball in the hole consistently.  Who is to say that your way isn't the better way anyhow, maybe THEY are wrong???

#6 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 640 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

for those that are struggling with a coventional grip it maybe wise to try a noncoventional grip like a pencil, claw or even saw. the pencil grip gives me a new comfort level of my over putts. I will stick with it for a while and see how it go , will keep you postedPosted Image

#7 emo

emo

Tour Winner

• 640 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

View Postblhoff, on 11 March 2010 - 07:45 PM, said:

I've tried the claw and the pencil.  The results weren't pretty with either.  I worked on the pencil for a month before I gave it up, got Utley's book and went back to conventional.  Bottom line is I'm putting better going with Utley's techniques and I feel much more comfortable and confident.

almost positive pencil works better with straight back straight threw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors