Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping's Dot System

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 loomsey

loomsey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75844
  • Ebay ID:loomsey2001
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but can somebody please explain Ping's dot system to me? What is the difference between black dot and red dot and orange dot and so on?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 pingmanrmiller

pingmanrmiller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52616

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

black dot is are std lie, lie changes every .75*  so red .75* flat, purple 1.5* flat, orange 2.25* flat etc..  blue .75* upright, yellow 1.50* upright, green 2.25* upright from std lie (black dot)

Edited by pingmanrmiller, 23 January 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#3 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Colors of the dots is the lie angle of the club. Everything is based off the black dot, which is what Ping considers "standard". Different lines of irons have different black dot lie angles, check the Ping website to see. Red dot would be .75* flatter, orange is flatter yet. White, green, blue are varying degrees upright, each color going .75* increments.

#4 sandman

sandman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3711
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

In addition to the lie colors mentioned in previous posts, Ping will adjust the ACTUAL lie of the head to take into account any difference in the dynamic lie angle caused by a shorter or longer club length.  This allows the dot system to work, regardless of club length.

For example, a black dot 5 iron will be an actual blue dot (.75* Upright) lie head at 1/2" shorter than standard and will be an actual red dot lie head (.75* Flat) at 1/2" over standard length, but still be coded as a black dot iron.   :beruo:   :crazy:    
One color code difference for each 1/2" over or under the standard length.

Sounds confusing, but it makes sense and allows the lie angles to match their standards, regardless of club length.  I don't think any other manufacturer does this.  I could be wrong on this.

Edited by sandman, 23 January 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#5 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

A couple of years ago, Ping added a few colors and changed the difference in lie angles from 1* between them to .75*.

Attached Files

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*
Callaway X2-Hot 3w/ X-Hot 5w
Callaway X-Hot 4 and 5 Hybrids
Callaway X2-Hot Irons  6-AW
Callaway MD2 Tourr Grind 54/58
Zebra Putter

#6 loomsey

loomsey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75844
  • Ebay ID:loomsey2001

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

So if you bought a set used is the color code really that important as long as the length was good? You could just have the lie angles bent to what you needed no?

#7 FairwaySheriff

FairwaySheriff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78389
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

View Postsandman, on 23 January 2010 - 07:48 PM, said:

For example, a black dot 5 iron will be an actual blue dot (.75* Upright) lie head at 1/2" shorter than standard and will be an actual red dot lie head (.75* Flat) at 1/2" over length, but still be coded as a black dot iron.

Is this correct or is it written backwards? I have been reading that the longer the shaft over standard length, the more upright the lie. I have a Ping Tour W 47* black dot with a shaft that's 1/2" longer than standard. I'm looking for the proper degree's that I need to bend it to match my green dots.  

#8 sandman

sandman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

View PostFairwaySheriff, on 30 January 2010 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postsandman, on 23 January 2010 - 07:48 PM, said:

For example, a black dot 5 iron will be an actual blue dot (.75* Upright) lie head at 1/2" shorter than standard and will be an actual red dot lie head (.75* Flat) at 1/2" over length, but still be coded as a black dot iron.

Is this correct or is it written backwards? I have been reading that the longer the shaft over standard length, the more upright the lie. I have a Ping Tour W 47* black dot with a shaft that's 1/2" longer than standard. I'm looking for the proper degree's that I need to bend it to match my green dots.  

You need to bend that wedge to a YELLOW or 1.5* upright FROM STANDARD lie angle. This will give you a green color code club by Ping's system. This is providing your green dot set is 1/2" over also.

You're correct about the length/lie equation, but Ping adjusts their lies to take this into account.

Hope this helps you.

More Info here...........
http://community.pin...nowledge_id=423

#9 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

View Postloomsey, on 24 January 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

So if you bought a set used is the color code really that important as long as the length was good? You could just have the lie angles bent to what you needed no?

No

Investment cast heads , like Ping, are not designed to have the lie angle adjusted ( to any significant degree).

As a general rule , it is forged heads that tolerate bending for lie adjustments ( and, according to many, have to be readjusted every now and again to get them back to the correct angle after the beating they take over many rounds of golf)

#10 BEND OF THE RIVER GC

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2495
  • Ebay ID:jmcdyd
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Here you go!

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 sandman

sandman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

View Postparpar41, on 30 January 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

No

Investment cast heads , like Ping, are not designed to have the lie angle adjusted ( to any significant degree).

As a general rule , it is forged heads that tolerate bending for lie adjustments ( and, according to many, have to be readjusted every now and again to get them back to the correct angle after the beating they take over many rounds of golf)

While forged heads can tolerate bending more than cast, to say Ping's are not designed to be bent is incorrect.  Even the short hoseled Callaway irons can be bent. Since the i3 sets, they even have a slot cut in the heads to make bending easier. Not as much leeway as a softer forged head, but still highly bendable.  Forged heads will be limited by the chrome plating also.  These limits can be close to the cast heads before chrome cracking becomes an issue.

You can go to the Ping website or call them for the limits of their different heads.  It will vary with age and type of material the head is made of.

#12 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 644

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

View Postparpar41, on 30 January 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

No

I have had them bent a degree or two, it is not easy, but it can be done.  If you ship them to Ping I am pretty sure they can bend them about as much as you want for a relativly small fee.  Some of the clubs seem to be easier to bend than others.  I have had Eye 2's bent a couple of degrees no problem, my I 3's are very difficult to bend even though they have a notch in the hosel.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#13 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Here is the link to how much adjustment each set of Ping irons can tolerate:

http://www.ping.com/...clubrepair.aspx

Most of the newer clubs can be bent as much as 4*, Some of the older sets they recommend not at all. Some fall in between at 2*.

Edited by phil75070, 30 January 2010 - 07:53 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*
Callaway X2-Hot 3w/ X-Hot 5w
Callaway X-Hot 4 and 5 Hybrids
Callaway X2-Hot Irons  6-AW
Callaway MD2 Tourr Grind 54/58
Zebra Putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors