Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Boomarang Putting Aid

54 replies to this topic

#1 Taylormademan123

Taylormademan123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95740
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

Posted ImageHey i am thinking about getting the boomarage putting aid. Smart idea or no. I am tired of missing putts.
And what all does it come with and how much is itPosted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Professional

Original

I don't have a Boomerang, this is just FYI.  Probably good for working on stroke and line, plus it looks like it would make practice fun.  If your green reading / speed control is off, not sure what it would do for you.  You need a real green for that.

Edited by scotchblade, 17 January 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#3 Geo

Geo

Happy Geo's Day

• Marshals
  • 6,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1027

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Boomerang is absolutely awesome.  It forces you to really, really work on line and speed to the point that you have to be exact on both.  It can be really frustrating during practice though, but I've found the tradeoff of less frustration when it matters to be worth it.  Just make sure you practice different distances and whatnot.  And as you don't have to spend time shagging balls, you easily knock 3 times as many putts as you otherwise would if just knocking balls to a target in a given time.  As for green reading, I've found that to be much easier to do when you know that the ball will go where you want it.  So get the Boomerang, use it, and the rest will take care of itself.
:hi:

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1859

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

I got one for christmas, the cheaper older model. The putting mat is really fast, and needs books on it when not in use because no matter what I do, it starts to get bumps along where it was folded in the box. I spend 30-45 minutes a day putting on it and the creases aren't a problem when I take the books off... it's just more a memory thing when it sits overnight.

I love the thing for just being able to pound out putt after putt. It is hard to stop the ball in the cup, but I'm getting decent at it. The main thing I'm concerned with putting at home is a good stroke and straight putt. This is great for practicing that considering the mat and ramp is only about 6 inches wide. The ball pretty much always gets returned within reach and you can easily hit 100 putts in a short session. With the speed of the mat and angle of the ramp, you're practicing very long putts with only about 8-9 feet of distance, however I've found that it doesn't mess up my distance control. I was at the practice green yesterday and was able to dial in the distance very quickly after two straight weeks on the boomerang.

#5 SALUKI LEFTY

SALUKI LEFTY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78673
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Where's the best place to order one of these at?

#6 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91010
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

I have one and yeah it is frustrating as hell... LOL.. my issue is I can't get it to return the balls to me. Somehow they all end up staying up there in the cup.... :D
2017 M1 440 10.5, Project X Even Flow Black 65 6.0
2017 M1 3W, Project X Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
RBZ Stage 2 18*H,Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0
Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300
Nike Engage DS 52* DG S400
Nike Engage TS 58* DG S400
Callaway X-Forged 64* DG S400
Putter... Who needs that?

#7 SALUKI LEFTY

SALUKI LEFTY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78673
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

I assume this is where I should order?  Is there where everyone else ordered their's?  $30.00 now.

http://boomeranggolf.com

#8 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:06 AM

I hated my boomerang. Just sold it. The mat as maddening. The thing NEVER laid flat no matter what I tried. If the mat isn't flat the thing is worthless because it messes up your line, which is the only thing it is good for. Doesn't help distance control at all because the mat is so freaking fast and then it is uphill the last 15".

Putting on my carpet is just as good and a lot less frustrating.

#9 MSaternus

MSaternus

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24753
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

Personally, I love the boomerang, but I HATE the mat that they sell.  It never flattened out, which made it totally useless.  The boomerang itself, however, is great.  It makes practicing fun and it really forces you to make a good stroke and stay focused.  I think 5-10 minutes with the boomerang, being really locked in, beats the heck out of 30 minutes of putting around the carpet aimlessly.

#10 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

I just bought one of those Birdie Ball foam "greens."  Maybe I'll try the Boomerang on that and chuck the mat.  By the way, the Birdie Ball green is only OK, it rolls nice but I don't expect to get years from it.  I was satisfied with smaller, less expensive size (9x3) with a discount, but would not recommend in the large sizes.

Link to Birdie Ball thread

Me putting on it

Putter in video is a TP Mills SoftTail  :lol:

Edited by scotchblade, 18 January 2010 - 08:56 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1859

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

View Postmister2cool, on 17 January 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

I have one and yeah it is frustrating as hell... LOL.. my issue is I can't get it to return the balls to me. Somehow they all end up staying up there in the cup.... :D

If the cup is so deep the ball falls in you might want to try unscrewing it a bit :) Unless it is all unscrewed and you really are THAT GOOD!!!

Boomeranggolf.com is where my wife got mine from...

#12 6keith

6keith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48966

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

That is where I bought mine, I like many really like it. I have it in my office on wood flooring. Good speed and just a inexpensive device that let's you roll a bunch of putts working on alignment and speed as both are needed to hole the putt or keep it in the cup.

#13 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

View Postmac94, on 18 January 2010 - 12:06 AM, said:

I hated my boomerang. Just sold it. The mat as maddening. The thing NEVER laid flat no matter what I tried. If the mat isn't flat the thing is worthless because it messes up your line, which is the only thing it is good for. Doesn't help distance control at all because the mat is so freaking fast and then it is uphill the last 15".

Putting on my carpet is just as good and a lot less frustrating.

Mac is where I got mine from... LOL

I have carpet and I noticed the same issue with the mat.. it's actually somewhat curved when I really lay it down flat. So I just gave up on the runner and use the carpet instead.

View Posthighergr0und, on 18 January 2010 - 09:27 AM, said:

View Postmister2cool, on 17 January 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

If the cup is so deep the ball falls in you might want to try unscrewing it a bit :) Unless it is all unscrewed and you really are THAT GOOD!!!

Boomeranggolf.com is where my wife got mine from...

Well I wouldn't dare to say that I was that good. Somehow I don't have a lot of problem getting the ball to the cup, but I could NEVER hit the previous ball with the 2nd, or the 3rd. They all end up in the cup from different angle. Then the 4th ball would cause an explosion and all of them came down the ramp at once and none actually made it back to me. :cheesy:

Edited by mister2cool, 18 January 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300

#14 Geo

Geo

Happy Geo's Day

• Marshals
  • 6,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1027

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

Seems that the best place to order from is directly from the site.  Here's a link with specials for forum members: http://www.boomgolf.com/mo.htm.  I've got the original, which seems to be better than the professional model (some complaints about the surface of the professional model).  But it looks like they've fixed that in the upcoming version by adding a felt surface to the device.

As for the carpet strip, I remember there being some trick to get it to lay down flat--though I can't remember what it was.  I just take two heavy books and lay them on either end.  Seems to do the trick adequately enough, though I've heard/read that the Carnoustie strip doesn't have that problem.  One thing to remember for distances, rule of thumb is to release the ball from the bottom of the "cup"; were you to putt from where it stops is approximately half the distance on an otherwise flat green.
:hi:

#15 Taylormademan123

Taylormademan123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95740

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

alright i hope you guys are right i just ordered mine yesterday. I ordered the proffesinal 1. What allcomes with it just the boomarang? any matt or does it come separate?

#16 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34040
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

View Postscotchblade, on 18 January 2010 - 08:52 AM, said:

I just bought one of those Birdie Ball foam "greens."  Maybe I'll try the Boomerang on that and chuck the mat.  By the way, the Birdie Ball green is only OK, it rolls nice but I don't expect to get years from it.  I was satisfied with smaller, less expensive size (9x3) with a discount, but would not recommend in the large sizes.

Link to Birdie Ball thread

Me putting on it

Putter in video is a TP Mills SoftTail  :lol:
Clean you gutters man :D

#17 loomsey

loomsey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75844
  • Ebay ID:loomsey2001

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

They pop up in the BST now and again...I just sold one today haha

#18 philsRHman

philsRHman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100923
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:13 AM

Just got mine and I'm loving it. I live in a tiny 1-bedroom apt and this fits nicely (and my wife hasn't demanded I move it yet). I've had some really good sessions on it where I get really into it, but since it's right by the TV, I'll even find myself mindlessly grabbing the putter and stroking a few on the way to or from the bathroom, or while I wait for something in the kitchen. It doesn't feel like something I HAVE to set aside time to do, because just like working out, I just don't ever do it. I mentioned it in another post, but I think I've hit more practice putts this week than I did in 2009. And I can swear, I'm already making a much higher percentage of these medium-range putts than ever before.

A few things I really like -- the mat is very narrow, so you've got a good alignment aid. I often struggle with aim/setup and I think this will translate well to the course. Also, the speed is good, although I'm curious to see how that translates. Truth is, if I'm getting really solid from 8-12 feet on this thing, if the greens are a little slower, I'll still be making a lot more 5-8 footers, and I've got no doubt the consistent stroke will mean better chances of making from all distances.

One thing I don't like is that it seems too many times you can nip the edge of the ramp and it will manage to go in. I'm going to keep messing with the depth to make it most difficult to make the first. As I've moved it up to level 4, I'm findng it's quite simple to make the first most of the time, it seems a lot more forgiving than at the lowest position.

As for the mat, Alex, the guy behind the Boomerang, suggested a fix that worked. Iron the creases on medium heat, but make sure to have a towel between the iron and the mat. I found that ironing both sides on the four creases I had solved it. If the mat bunches a bit, it does so in those spots, but it's no hassle at all. I've got it on a hardwood floor so i just tap down the risen spot and it's fine.

Alex also mentioned that the original site http://www.boomgolf.com/mo.htm would be running specials on the outgoing model and the new one. The big savings is on the 2010, but it won't be around for couple months, and I couldn't give up this winter practice time. I was confused because I thought usually you offer the best price on the older model and make way for the new one. But the way it turns out, you can get the 2008 model for $30, then $40 on the mat, then tack on shipping. If you can wait, you get the new improved model for only $50 (it includes the mat).

Other option is go for the old, original version (which I've got and people still swear by). Alex apparently sold off a whole warehouse full or something, cause they're selling for $30, mat included.

I'm super excited to have this in the house. I spend the winter months with a 7 iron by my recliner, gripping it, doing some posture stuff, taking half swings, etc., but not productive at all, just nervous energy. I even had an outdoor net and small mat last year, but I was always afraid I was going to destroy my clubs on the thin mat on top of a concrete slab (it was a really shabby yard, but I was renting and couldn't do much with it). Boomerang is going to be what keeps my golf mind and muscles flexed this winter, and along with a weekly trip to the range, I hope I not only skip the first month blues, but hit the ground running, especially since there are a few state amateur qualifiers right out of the gate in April.

Now that I'm done babbling, has anyone found that the Boomerang is easier at the higher levels? It just seems like the low levels the ball will skim right over the hole unless you just trickle it in. But at the higher levels, the angle allows the lip of the cup to snag them much easier. Maybe I need to shallow out the cup?

#19 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

I tried ironing. Didn't work.

#20 Ears26

Ears26

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16039
  • Ebay ID:ears26
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

View Postberuo, on 18 January 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

Seems that the best place to order from is directly from the site.  Here's a link with specials for forum members: http://www.boomgolf.com/mo.htm.  I've got the original, which seems to be better than the professional model (some complaints about the surface of the professional model).  But it looks like they've fixed that in the upcoming version by adding a felt surface to the device.

As for the carpet strip, I remember there being some trick to get it to lay down flat--though I can't remember what it was.  I just take two heavy books and lay them on either end.  Seems to do the trick adequately enough, though I've heard/read that the Carnoustie strip doesn't have that problem.  One thing to remember for distances, rule of thumb is to release the ball from the bottom of the "cup"; were you to putt from where it stops is approximately half the distance on an otherwise flat green.

I've had one for years since they first appeared in the UK. I've found the trick to keeping the creases out of the mat are to roll it up rather than fold it. Then when I want to use it I just roll it back on itself and then leave it on the floor for about half an hour (it flattens quicker on wood floors though!).

They are great for grooving your stroke, and developing touch, as you learn to differentiate on the speed to lag it in and then knock it out. The guy who invented it is called Alex and used to be around on the forums for a while - he's very helpful and I'm sure would answer any of your questions if you emailed him.

Col

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Mine came rolled and always was rolled. I didn't have creases but the thing always curled up, both lengthwise and width wise. The mat was useless.

#22 6keith

6keith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48966

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Man I guess I got lucky or there is two types of matts as mine came rolled up. I unrolled it, put some weight on each end, and it is as smooth as can be. I have it in the office so I roll it up on weekend so they can clean. Sorry to hear so many have had issues with the matt. It really is a great inexpensive device to groove your stroke

#23 Putting Guru

Putting Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17969
  • Ebay ID:amgmoore@gmail.com

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi Mac94,

Sorry your Boomerang experience wasn't a great one. But when you say the mat was "useless" I'm keen to find out which mat you had.

It doesn't sound like the new tournament mat, it sounds more like our old travel mat. Our 12ft tournament mat doesn't curl at all - see the image below. How long was your old mat? I'm just curious to get to the bottom of your mat woes for you. If you had an old one, I'd be happy to send you a new one.

Cheers

Alex

Attached Images

• promo1.1.jpg

#24 judgsmails

judgsmails

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30985

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

View PostPutting Guru, on 19 January 2010 - 06:22 PM, said:

Hi Mac94,

Sorry your Boomerang experience wasn't a great one. But when you say the mat was "useless" I'm keen to find out which mat you had.

It doesn't sound like the new tournament mat, it sounds more like our old travel mat. Our 12ft tournament mat doesn't curl at all - see the image below. How long was your old mat? I'm just curious to get to the bottom of your mat woes for you. If you had an old one, I'd be happy to send you a new one.

Cheers

Alex

How does one go about buying the 12ft tournament mat.   I would like to have one for my boomerang.

#25 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Alex, before ordering from the Boomerang site, any deals or coupon codes you are currently offering?

I see the Putting Pro for $49.99 and the Carnoustie Tournament Mat for $39.99.  A seller on eBay is selling the Original Boomerang new in box for $29.99.  Is the pro model that much of an improvement to justify the additional expense?

Thanks

judgsmails
http://www.boomgolf.com/shop.htm

#26 Putting Guru

Putting Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hi scotchblade,

The Pro model is lighter and slimmer than the Tour model, but it returns even longer putts. The Pro has a lightning fast "rubberized" surface whereas the Tour has a more learner-friendly felt. The Pro has a better leading edge design than the Tour, so there's a smoother transition from mat to incline. The Pro has a removable and reversible hole/target so it can be used for chipping and bumping, the Tour doesn't. The Pro is a better ball-returner than the Tour because because it's shoulders (the lip around the edge) extend all the way to the floor.

The Tour comes with an 8ft Travel Mat which is folded in the box. We sell our 12ft Tournament Mat separately and pack and ship it rolled to avoid creases. The 12ft Carnoustie Mat is a much denser material and resists curling. The Travel Mat has a tendency to cup if kept rolled all the time or when used on a soft under carpet.

The Tour comes with our old DVD, our new video with set-up instructions, tips and a putting mat comparison is available on-line anytime at our video page. Watch the vid and you can see the Pro in action.

The Tour Model is all we had for almost a decade, and the old ones are still good value for money - almost a kilo of ABS in each one! But, in my opinion, the Pro model is a better and more versatile product and when we return to a felt surface it  should make it less frustrating for mere mortals too ;-)

Enjoy your putting! And let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Alex

#27 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Alex, it was teh 8 ft. model so it must have been the travel mat. It curled all the time just like you said it did. I could never use it because the curls totally ruined any line I had.

#28 Putting Guru

Putting Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:56 AM

mac94,

Send me your address by PM and I'll see if I can't improve your Boom experience once the new model arrives.

Cheers

Alex

#29 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

View PostPutting Guru, on 20 January 2010 - 12:56 AM, said:

mac94,

Send me your address by PM and I'll see if I can't improve your Boom experience once the new model arrives.

Cheers

Alex

Hey Alex
I own the Boom from Mac94 now... The matt does seem to curl up and no matter what I try it wouldn't lay down to a straight line. I basically just rolled it up and tossed to the side.

I'll drop you a PM, it'll be absolutely fantastic if I can get that mat replaced.

Edited by mister2cool, 20 January 2010 - 11:35 AM.

Srixon z945 4-P, DG S300

#30 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thanks, Alex. PM sent.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors