Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My HB6 Review

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 liveagua

liveagua

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20340
  • Ebay ID:GradisharFan1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

So I have been meaning to put this review up and I just haven't had any time to do it...until now. My experience with Hybrids has been a good one. I enjoyed all the Adams, Nickent, TM...etc that I have owned and tested over the years. I now have 2 hybrids in the bag and both are TEE XCG-V's #3 and #4. Both tour heads so they are open about 2 degrees, which I love.

Here are the shafts I have tested in them...

MRC Diamana Thump X
Fujikura Motore 80X
Fujikura 904HB X
Oban Devotion 85 X
Ozik Altus HB Black Tie X
Aldila VS Proto HB X
UST V2 102  X

and now the Project X HB6...my testing and search is now finished.

I would put the Thump, Altus and VS Proto all in the same category. They have a smooth feel and great launch characteristics, but they all seemed to go left on me. The Fuji 904HB, UST V2 and Oban Devotion all had a firmer feel (sometimes downright boardy) but never seemed to go left on me...which is the #1 requirement of my hybrids, DON'T GO LEFT!! The Fuji Motore is a blend of both worlds, but still has a tendency to go left when I jump on it and I am sure I could tip it some more to get the kickpoint a little higher.

True Temper was gracious enough to send me an HB6 to test against the rest of these hybrid shafts. If you aren't following @projectxgolf on Twitter, I highly recommend you do. They give away free shafts all the time and they are very helpful and responsive if you have any questions.

First of all, the HB6 paint scheme is as beautiful as the X7A3 that I game in my driver. Just flawless and the paint does seem to "slim" the overall look of the shaft.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well after installing this in the #3 XCG-V I went out to the range to warm up and also to test it against the Motore HB in my #4.

First impressions...
The HB6 is the smoothest feeling, anti-left hybrid shaft I have ever hit. Usually 2.2 torque shafts feel "boardy" and along with that you get the "anti-left" performance. The HB6 is the smoothest feeling 2.2 torque shaft I have ever felt.

The dispersion is unbelievable. I mean that, unbelievable. I hit 35 balls to a target that is 220 yards away at my home course, they were all within 6 yards of one another (right to left).

Looking down at the HB6 in my Exotics hybrid just inspires confidence.

On the course...

I only hit my driver on my home course (King's Creek in Spring Hill, TN) between 5-8  times a round, depending on conditions and tee box. I use my 3 wood and #3 hybrid on most of the par 4s. My first experience was on #5, which is a 445 yard dogleg right par 4. Most of the time I cut the corner with my 3 wood and have about 90-120 yards in. I decided I might as well hit my #3 hybrid to see how far I could muscle it and to see if it would go left when I went after it. Well, I hit a high, tight 3 yard draw and cut the corner leaving myself 133 yards into this green.  While I will probably continue to hit my 3 wood so I can be a little closer to this green I was obviously impressed with how straight and how far it flew.

I used it 3 more times throughout the round and always hit a high, 3 yard draw that just seemed to go forever and then roll forever.

In Conclusion...
If you are someone who is looking for a smooth feeling, anti-hook hybrid shaft, look no further than what Project X is offering. It won't always be for everyone, because not everyone can swing a 96 gram hybrid shaft.

I have started the search for another HB6 to put in my #4 and I have already fit 5 other people into Project X hybrid shafts.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks True Temper/Project X for allowing me to test your products. They are top of the line in my opinion and I continue to endorse them to my friends and customers.

Keep up the good work.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tr0ddd

tr0ddd

Richmond, VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95309
  • Ebay ID:2009Lexusman

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Very nice review bud, and sick looking shaft!
-Tyler

#3 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1512

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the great review. Just a few more follow up questions if you don't mind:

Does the HB6 feel more tip stiff than the Thump and VS Proto? I've already tried the Altus and even in the right flex, I don't think the bend characteristics suit me.

Which UST shaft exactly was that you were comparing it to? From the 102 weight, I assume it must have been the Tour Red/Black series.

How is the consistency of well struck shots in terms of trajectory and distance control?

I understand you may not have had a whole lot of time with the set up yet, so just whatever you can answer would be great. Thanks!
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
TEE CB Pro-h 21*, Aldila RIP Tour 115
Callaway X-Proto, DG X100
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*, DG
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#4 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Damn you! now I want one, no sorry two!

#5 SUBPARJ

SUBPARJ

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59375

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

If you don't kind me asking, what did you have to go through to get them to loan you this beauty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors