Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Carls Golf Land, is it reliable?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Duke85

Duke85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101736
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

I live in KY so I can't check the store out myself. I recently found their website and their prices seem pretty low. The irons I want are $100 cheaper than any other place I've seen. Can I feel save buying from here? Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

They're reliable. I grew up buying everything from their store on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills, MI and would spend my winter range time hitting into the snow from their heated range bays. I live in Mississippi now, but I spend an hour or two there every time I get back up to Michigan. I bet other guys from Michigan chime in too. The place is great.

I will admit that I have never ordered anything online from them though. Just used to buying it when I'm there.

#3 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

Fairways and Greens

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46443
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

The Bloomfield Hills store (Telegraph Road) has always been one of the top golf shops in the country, and I used to spend a lot of my money there when I lived up north.  Big thumbs up to that particular store!

The newer one in Plymouth is another story.  The staff working in that store are terrible and seem to not care about helping the customers.

#4 mbloom19

mbloom19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83372

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

I am like the others and cannot vouch for their online store, but I did grow up in the area and lived in the store on Telegraph during the off season. There are some great people there and most are very knowledgeable.

#5 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

Yep, great store and glad I live too far north to be a regular.  I've been to their other location at St. Johns in Plymouth, and it is up to snuff with the one on Telegraph.  I guess I didn't realize they were selling stuff on their website now.  Will have to check that out.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#6 Golfdoctor

Golfdoctor

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73113
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

View PostDuke85, on 10 January 2010 - 10:06 PM, said:

I live in KY so I can't check the store out myself. I recently found their website and their prices seem pretty low. The irons I want are $100 cheaper than any other place I've seen. Can I feel save buying from here? Thanks

I live very close to the one in Plymouth. If there's anything that you want me to check on Please let me know.

#7 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

They are great.  I live nearby.  I wouldn't worry.  The outdoor practice facility is very good.
I know the manager in both locations and both are fantastic to deal with.

No worries.

#8 leftychris

leftychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51585

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

They are terrible the staff is stuck up and if you are not a suit they will not help you even though you may have $1000 in your pocket.  I go in their and quiz the staff and they are not to knowledgeable.  Also they will not take anything back better off to order it from Golfsmith and they will match the online price plus 115% of the difference but I would avoid this shop for sure.  One guy told me that the launch montior will not work with lefthanders and irons went to golfsmith and got fitted on the launch montior and got my clubs

#9 Par Fore

Par Fore

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Spent a lot of time in the Plymouth store while in grad school.  I thought it was great.  Good practice area and they had tons of demo days.  That was a few years ago and I have never purchased anything from them online.

#10 Sid Vicious

Sid Vicious

Not long, but nicely off-line...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100617

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 10 January 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

They're reliable. I grew up buying everything from their store on Telegraph in Bloomfield Hills, MI and would spend my winter range time hitting into the snow from their heated range bays. I live in Mississippi now, but I spend an hour or two there every time I get back up to Michigan. I bet other guys from Michigan chime in too. The place is great.

I will admit that I have never ordered anything online from them though. Just used to buying it when I'm there.

I preferred the golf dome in Warren, but Carl's was a pretty nice place. I'm kind of surprised to hear about it after all these years. Living down south for more than a decade will do that. Is the Dome still up at 14/VanDyke?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 JHR

JHR

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Like stated Carls is one of the biggest and best retail stores in all of Michigan. I buy all my retail equipment from them, like everyone else that lives here, never had a need to use the online side, but the instore purchases are flawless. If you have any issues, let one of us know, i have a pretty good relationship with them and can get you in touch with the right people.

#12 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

View Postleftychris, on 11 January 2010 - 08:20 PM, said:

They are terrible the staff is stuck up and if you are not a suit they will not help you even though you may have $1000 in your pocket.  I go in their and quiz the staff and they are not to knowledgeable.  Also they will not take anything back better off to order it from Golfsmith and they will match the online price plus 115% of the difference but I would avoid this shop for sure.  One guy told me that the launch montior will not work with lefthanders and irons went to golfsmith and got fitted on the launch montior and got my clubs

First time I walked into carls: I walked in after work.  I was wearing ripped jeans and a tee shirt. I smelled like paint.  They were all over me the first time I walked in years ago. Great staff.  Out of the 10 guys who have helped me, not one was stuck up. The staff is plenty knowledgeable.  The people on golfwrx in all honesty know 99.9% more than most people working in retail golf stores.  We know the torque difference between the Blueboard and Whiteboard (Exact number!) when this means nothing to 99.999% of the golfing public (including me I'm starting to realzie)

Carls is great.  Not to offend you but I have a idea about your age.

#13 Duke85

Duke85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

[quote name='kgeorge78' date='11 January 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1263263670' post='2175946']
[quote name='leftychris' date='11 January 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1263259256' post='2175716']
[/quote] Wow, thats extremely nice of you. The clubs I'm looking at are the Callaway x20's. I went to DicksSG's and hit about 3-4 sets of irons and hit the best with the 20's. However I'm not a great golfer(shoot in the high 80's, low 90's) so I didn't want to spend a ton on my first good set(I have top flight now). I have the Diablo driver and hybrid to go a long with an Odyssey putter. But Dicks have the 20's for $600 online, $500 in store while Carl's has them for $400 with free shipping! Hell of a deal so I wanted to make sure it's a reliable place. Do any of you know if all the stuff they sell is new? I don't want used clubs. Do any of you know if the 20's are $400 in store as well?

#14 Duke85

Duke85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostJHR, on 11 January 2010 - 09:20 PM, said:

Like stated Carls is one of the biggest and best retail stores in all of Michigan. I buy all my retail equipment from them, like everyone else that lives here, never had a need to use the online side, but the instore purchases are flawless. If you have any issues, let one of us know, i have a pretty good relationship with them and can get you in touch with the right people.

I did email them and they got back to me within a day. They said they stand by their products and are an authorized dealer. So it sounds like they are legit from what everyone has said on here. Thanks for all the help guys.

#15 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

You'll get a new set if you order a new one. It's not one of those tiny little stores with clubs strewn about. They are a big time Michigan golf institution and don't have the big box feel. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with their staff, although the Plymouth store does tend to have younger workers who are less interested in customer service. The Bloomfield store has guys that have been there forever.

#16 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I'm in Detroit for work this week and decided to take the drive out to Carl's on Telegraph.  I was really impressed with the inventory they had.  How can they keep that many clubs in an area where they don't have a full 4 seasons of golf?  They did have pretty much anything you could want, even had some i-mix stuff which most retail shops no longer stock.

I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed in prices though.  I was looking at some of the demo/used clubs and couldn't believe some of the prices.  

I didn't ask about what type of facilities they had...what exactly do they have in terms of a range, fitting, etc?

#17 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

They typically don't have a big stock of used stuff.... Their focus is new stuff.

Michigan is a huge golfing state despite the winter. Spring and fall temps are relatively mild and the summer doesn't usually get too hot. I'm pretty sure it's number 2 in the country in terms of public courses and there are a lot of 4/5 star tracks. Carls on Telegraph has a full range, mats off season and grass during. A big benefit there is the club demos. You can take any club out to the range with a little free bucket of balls just by leaving your license at the counter. You can also compare apples to apples with your own driver, irons, whatever. Much better than hitting into a net with a hopped up launch monitor. I'm sure they have full fitting services, and my first and only lesson was with a pro there when I was 12 or 13.

#18 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• 5,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

They typically don't have a big stock of used stuff.... Their focus is new stuff.

Michigan is a huge golfing state despite the winter. Spring and fall temps are relatively mild and the summer doesn't usually get too hot. I'm pretty sure it's number 2 in the country in terms of public courses and there are a lot of 4/5 star tracks. Carls on Telegraph has a full range, mats off season and grass during. A big benefit there is the club demos. You can take any club out to the range with a little free bucket of balls just by leaving your license at the counter. You can also compare apples to apples with your own driver, irons, whatever. Much better than hitting into a net with a hopped up launch monitor. I'm sure they have full fitting services, and my first and only lesson was with a pro there when I was 12 or 13.

Yeah it's kind of surprising Michigan can support this, especially with the economy.  That place is always hopping when I'm in there though.  My only complaint is that their range is a bit short if you are trying out drivers or fairway woods.  You end up hitting over a hill and then have really no idea where the ball lands relative to another club.  Shorter clubs are fine.
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#19 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

The key to carls are the demos.  They have demos of everything.  Like a poster said, give your drivers lic and they give u a small bucket and wack away!

You bring your own clubs and compare them to the demos.  It's so much fun.

THe range is top notch with grass in the spring - fall.  Matts all year.  They have DEMO DAYS starting mid feb - Every sat from Feb - End of March.  

The giveaways are great.  I bought a dymo last year during demo days and got 2 sleeves of one tour D and a couple of nike hats.

Can't wait till demo days this year even though I can open my Own carls with the clubs in my basement.

#20 Par Fore

Par Fore

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49091
  • Ebay ID:barneys6
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

I had forgotten about the demos there.  I was remembering them as demo days, but the posters above are right.  Give them your license and you will get a free Extra small bucket of balls.  The carls in plymouth has a covered heated range so I would go there in the winter and hit balls.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

I figured they demo'd a lot since many of the "new" clubs did have brush marks and stuff like that on them.  Really nice store, wish I was here during the warmer months and could spend a little time in there.  I'm still blown away by the inventory they carry, especially right now.  I just can't imagine that they are still selling a ton in this climate and economy...but I guess they are doing OK.

In PA we are now pretty much stuck with Golf galaxy and Golfsmith since Golfdom closed.

#22 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

Greatest Putter Ever

• 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:41 AM

I was just at the Carl's in Plymouth last weekend to hit balls at the heated range. They're definitely legit, and the guy who said that they don't take returns doesn't know what he's talking about. I returned a club that I discovered was damaged after I bought it, but before I took it to the range or course, and they replaced it without issue, and another one that I just didn't like, and they let me exchange it (there might have been a 10% adjustment, but I think that's pretty standard at most shops if you've used the club)

I don't buy much in the way of clubs from them (they don't carry many clubs in X-stiff), but I do shop there for balls, gloves, etc. regularly.
Never bought online from them, but I'm sure they're on the level in that regard. They're definitely not a fly-by-night operation.
Ping G25 8.5*, 45" Fuel TS 60X
Ping G25 15* AD BB 7x, 913F 19* D83X
913 Hd 23*, Diamana D+ White 102x
4-PW - Ping S56 Yellow dot, DG X100
WITB Link
Byron Morgan DH89/007
Ping Tour Gorge 54 SS/58 TS, DG Spinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors