Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Faldo Pre Set Drill Full Video on How its Done

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1186
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hi Guys
I just thought I would post this Video I added to my You Tube Stuff,
It is a great clip and shows how to do it step by step
This was Faldo's Favorite alltime drill.
It is from one of my old videos.
I hope you enjoy

Regards
Addam smith

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Roland

Roland

Rat Fans....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27733
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

Great Stuff Adam thank you :)
Razr Fit Extreme
G10 14 & I15 18.5
X Tour 21
Prototype 4-PW
Copper 52 & 58
Versa WBW #1W

#3 coops

coops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17659
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:10 AM

Excellent - thanks....

Oddly, i used to do a similair drill but with the 'wrong' type of wristc0ck - i'd c0ck the wrists up (not 'back') so the shaft up was in front of you and not as in this vid with the right wrist 'bent back'.... and i've recently read Joe Dante's Four Magic Moves, and this wrist hinge is one of those vital moves - so i'll be using this, for sure.

Coops

Edited by coops, 06 January 2010 - 05:11 AM.

#4 bovi

bovi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53924

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

thanks addam!

#5 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 754

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

Great video, thanks Man!

Kevin

I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#6 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99317
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

I still think that drill goes against basic flow and athleticism of a good takeaway. But...given the overwhelming opinions of most posters, i must say I might have to reconsider its validity. Im probably biased because it hurt me alot, the whole early set thing of the eighties and nineties. Good to see how many people it helps though. I love when something gets people better.

#7 lead

lead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70991

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

Great drill! Sometimes when my swing is off I even use it on the course.

/lead

#8 ChristianT

ChristianT

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92874
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Thank you! I have been looking for a good video example of how to do this. A lot of the descriptions I have seen have been conflicting or confusing. I'm working on getting my shoulder turn perpendicular with my spine and think this drill is going to be a big help.

Christian

#9 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99317

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

His swing was soooooo good. I find it interesting the Nick, with all the pre set drills, still had a little lagging clubhead takeaway. Pause this video when the club is a bout a foot off the ball and you'll see its behind the left arm some with a pretty good bend in the shaft..

Edited by Kevin SHields, 06 January 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#10 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

View Postcoops, on Jan 6 2010, 02:10 AM, said:

Oddly, i used to do a similair drill but with the 'wrong' type of wristc0ck - i'd c0ck the wrists up (not 'back') so the shaft up was in front of you and not as in this vid with the right wrist 'bent back'.... and i've recently read Joe Dante's Four Magic Moves, and this wrist hinge is one of those vital moves - so i'll be using this, for sure.

Leadbetter originally advocating doing the pre-set drill (on YouTube the OP has called it the "Pump Drill", but it is not that drill) the way the video shows.  Faldo and Price hit thousands of balls with a 7 or 8 iron using that method.  But later Leadbetter changed the original set to the way you describe.  Not sure why he changed it, but either works.  

As an aside, Ryan Moore started each swing the way you described a year or two ago due to a wrist problem he had at the time.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jones137

jones137

Major Winner

• 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24427
  • Ebay ID:roberson28
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting!!

This drill imo is one of the best.
Taylormade SLDR 12* Fujikura Fuel 70X
Callaway Big Bertha 2004 13* X100
Mizuno CLK 17* Fubuki 84X
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto 95x
Ping i20 4-PW CFS X
Callaway X-Forged 54*, 60* X100

#12 Nik

Nik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65015

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I'm interested to know what swing thoughts people have when doing this drill (after the initial setting of the wrists). Faldo said in the video that you should just turn your shoulders but I've been trying to think about turning my upper body around my spine (with mixed results). When I get it right it feels good but I'm very inconsistent with it.

I tend to get too flat and my arms get stuck behind me when I just turn my upper body around my spine. When I check in a mirror I seem to get to a better top of backswing position when I just think of lifting the clubhead vertically from the initial set wrist position but that doesn't seem a good swing thought to have when I revert back to a normal swing.

I'm working on the rotational swing that Slicefixer and Dan prefer and would appreciate any advice on using the Faldo drill to help with this type of swing.

Thanks,
Nik

#13 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1186

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for all your kind words guys,
I have a video some where that I will download a interview with Faldo were he talks about this drill and it shows him using it in a pump action 1, 2, 3, Then a hit.
I find myself that I use this drill with students to give them a,
1/ Good wrist set
2/ Good extensor action
3/ Good shoulder rotation.
I used to run a Range a few years back where Wayne Grady use to use this drill alot and I have a good video of him using it as well.
Thanks
Addam

#14 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• 10,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 754

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

View Postaddamsmith, on Jan 6 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

Thanks for all your kind words guys,
I have a video some where that I will download a interview with Faldo were he talks about this drill and it shows him using it in a pump action 1, 2, 3, Then a hit.
I find myself that I use this drill with students to give them a,
1/ Good wrist set
2/ Good extensor action
3/ Good shoulder rotation.
I used to run a Range a few years back where Wayne Grady use to use this drill alot and I have a good video of him using it as well.
Thanks
Addam

I would love to see both videos, whenever you have time to post them.

Thanks Addam!

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#15 Boomermike

Boomermike

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77223
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

This drill seems to be picking up steam, with a lot of recent discussion & threads on it in these forums.  Not to be redundant, but I love it.  As stated in another thread, I played a round on the course with it recently (after practicing with it on the range for a few weeks) and had the best ballstriking day of my life.  

Of course, the concern with using it as a playing swing on the course is that it will look funny.   I just told my buddies before the round, on the first tee, "hey guys...picked up this new drill that I've been working on, and I'm going to use it during the round today, so if my swing looks funny, that's why."  After a few holes, they were asking me how to do the drill.  

Still not consistent enough using it with the driver to trust it on the course - sometimes has me coming in too steep and hitting sky-balls - but with fairway metals, hybrids, irons, and full shots with wedges, it's money.

#16 lead

lead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Here's the first training video faldo did explaining the Pre-Set drill. Spanish language

/lead

Edited by lead, 20 January 2010 - 03:53 AM.

#17 lead

lead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:52 AM

Pre-Set drill "A Swing For Life"

/lead

Attached File  pre-set drill_faldo.jpg   1.04MB   35 downloads

#18 Rolex

Rolex

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81803

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I was teaching this drill to students in the early 1970s to get them to feel the "springs" loading in their wrists and shoulders.

#19 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

View Postcoops, on 06 January 2010 - 05:10 AM, said:

Oddly, i used to do a similar drill but with the 'wrong' type of wristc0ck - i'd c0ck the wrists up (not 'back') so the shaft up was in front of you and not as in this vid with the right wrist 'bent back'.... and i've recently read Joe Dante's Four Magic Moves, and this wrist hinge is one of those vital moves
Similar, but as I understand the Dante move (The Thumb Press), the back of the left hand turns down and under, which puts the clubface in a different position when the shaft reaches parallel, ie, the toe is not facing up like Faldo's is.

http://www.golf-swin...backswing3.html

#20 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

View Postscotchblade, on 20 January 2010 - 08:48 AM, said:

View Postcoops, on 06 January 2010 - 05:10 AM, said:

Oddly, i used to do a similar drill but with the 'wrong' type of wristc0ck - i'd c0ck the wrists up (not 'back') so the shaft up was in front of you and not as in this vid with the right wrist 'bent back'.... and i've recently read Joe Dante's Four Magic Moves, and this wrist hinge is one of those vital moves
Similar, but as I understand the Dante move (The Thumb Press), the back of the left hand turns down and under, which puts the clubface in a different position when the shaft reaches parallel, ie, the toe is not facing up like Faldo's is.

http://www.golf-swin...backswing3.html

totally correct  the Dante set move or wrist break has the club significantly closed at all the points on the backswing and couple with a very straight tensioned left arm.

I actually took that backswing to the course today (not the range) and it is an incredible swing change - pure striking, providing you keep that break and hold it as much as you can, using shoulders and 'no arms' until COAM takes over..... will be using it all the time now.

Edited by Double Gee, 12 February 2010 - 02:17 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 juliette91

juliette91

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

So, how does this drill translate to a real takeaway on the course?  Do you do the exact same thing?  If so, seems like you'd lose some power since pretty much nothing moves (except the hands) until the club is parallel with the ground?

Tks,!

quote name='addamsmith' timestamp='1262768232' post='2164312']
Hi Guys
I just thought I would post this Video I added to my You Tube Stuff,
It is a great clip and shows how to do it step by step
This was Faldo's Favorite alltime drill.
It is from one of my old videos.
I hope you enjoy
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6QtMgkK6zI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6QtMgkK6zI[/url]
Regards
Addam smith
[/quote]

#22 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

#CALLAWRX2 @HitEmTrue1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

View Postjuliette91, on 08 December 2010 - 04:11 PM, said:

So, how does this drill translate to a real takeaway on the course?  Do you do the exact same thing?  If so, seems like you'd lose some power since pretty much nothing moves (except the hands) until the club is parallel with the ground?

No loss in power; is a drill to help you practice getting to the proper position at the top of the back swing.

#23 blackie2

blackie2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48699

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

My PGA pro has me doing the same type of drill with one twist, he told me to make sure that I didn't swing too much around my body on the downswing after impact. He said to imagine someone standing right next to you on your target side and do the drill without hitting them. He told me to do this to keep me from swing the club across my chest and keep it more in front of me. The other little thing that makes it work for me is to restrict my right leg so that I don't turn my hips too much in the backswing. In the earlier pre-set drill Faldo recommends doing that too. Anyway, it's a great drill and it's really helping me.

#24 inmens

inmens

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55261
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Love this video.

#25 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21998
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

Wow, what a great day at the range after seeing this.....playing tomorrow and I will see if I can do it on the course. Very excited about this. Played some of my best golf year earlier in the year after the Masters and seeing Nick on TGC with a tip and comment about PM's shot on 13.

BG

#26 jdunlap

jdunlap

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105660
  • Ebay ID:jdunlapmo
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Very nice drill, thanks for reminding us of it! :clapping:

#27 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Porked!

• 15,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1282

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Very nice drill! Always liked this guy.  Thanks for posting!
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5* 0.5 Open
Wishon 929 HS 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 3-4 771 CSI, 5-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#28 GolfMomAMS

GolfMomAMS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118595

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

I've been working on this drill as a way to 1) not over-**** my wrists and 2) not flip through impact.  A great drill, for sure - thanks for posting the video.

#29 DukeNasty

DukeNasty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36414
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

Fantastic drill.  Here is another example of the drill:

Edited by DukeNasty, 17 December 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#30 aliikane

aliikane

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

I've seen that drill, but slightly different versions. I like faldos version better. Coming from him takes on more meaning. He is one of the greats. Great drill.

Edited by aliikane, 20 December 2010 - 09:02 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors