Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Easiest way to increase swing speed?

38 replies to this topic

#1 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101049
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

My swing speed is about 85-90 mph and I am trying to get it up to 100-110. What's the easiest way for me o increase my swing speed while not getting too wild with my swing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 marrigo

marrigo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44545
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

More efficient mechanics.  Lot's of places to lose power during a swing.  Best way to become more efficient is to find a reputable teacher and get a set of lessons.
SLDR, 9.5*, 'ahina 60 S
TEE CB4 15*, Xcaliber T6S+
RAZR-X Tour 18*&24* Rombax 8D07HB
RAZR-X Tour 5-PW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x
Scratch 8620 54*&58*,C-Taper S+SS 2x
RAZR-X Forged GW, C-Taper S+ SS 2x

#3 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

The weird thing is that I am still a 5 handicap

#4 WhiZ

WhiZ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87256
  • Ebay ID:majorwhiz8gnd
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

View PostUNCC Golf#1, on Jan 1 2010, 01:14 PM, said:

The weird thing is that I am still a 5 handicap

lol! What's so weird? I have the SS you want but I'm a 12. Wanna switch? :)

Sounds like you hit it straight and true and have a decent short game. Sure I can hit it 270+ yards (when I connect!), but my consistency is all over the place and my <100 yards game is not up to snuff.

In answer to your original question - rotation rotation rotation. Focus on getting your back to the target on your back swing and then starting the swing with your hips. Rotate the hips - don't slide them! Otherwise, as mentioned, focus on solid mechanics and not killing the ball. My longest drives happen when I feel like I'm barely putting any effort into it at all.

WhiZ

#5 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

I feel like if I can consistently hit it at least 260 consistently straight that will give me a huge advantage instead of hitting it 230 to 240.

#6 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

What age are you? If over 50 it will be a struggte but can be done. If over 60, forget it. Accept you are where you are going.

A properly fit driver might not gain you much swing speed but it could gain some distance with proper trajectory and spin.

Edited by accufitgolf, 01 January 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#7 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Better mechanics will do it. I have made some great strides using a swing speed radar with my driver. I can make swings and immediately see my clubhead speed. You can use trial and error to see what adds speed to your swing.

For instance, I have found that swinging harder doesn't increase my swing speed. The things that help me add speed were things like keeping my right hip angled on the downswing (which helped me maintain my spine angle through impact), keeping my right side "high" through the ball. It all added up to a quick 10 mph in additional speed.

#8 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1411

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

Better mechanics and I'll state the obvious a lighter and longer shaft.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#9 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I am in the same boat as you, I have lost a lot of speed over the years, I am 44 now.  My game is built around accuracy and the short game and my handicap is usually between 5 and 7.  My problems are physical, my SS used to be a little over 100 and was at least 95 to 98 till a few years ago.  I broke my leg, threw my back out, and have a sore left hip and shoulder.  I started doing some ab work this year, light weight lifting and my back started feeling a lot better.  I had a few rounds where I regained about 10-20 yards on my tee shot.  I took a long road trip and my back tightended up, then I pulled muscles, and lost all the speed I gained.  I am just now gettng back to feeling good but there is 12 inches of snow on the ground.  

My suggestions is to make sure you are strong and flexible, work a lot on your core and leg strength, IMO arm strength has little to do with speed, just think of Fred Couples or Jack Nicklaus, both have huge legs and arms like teenage girls.   :rolleyes:

Also make sure your driver is optimized for the correct loft and shaft.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#10 newyorker

newyorker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17833
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm similar to you as regards SS. I swing around 90-95 and I'm currently 8 hcap (UK).

My "slower" speed is related to poor mechanics (not saying yours is) so I decided to get some lessons booked to try and improve areas where I figured I had power leaks. I've been working with Dan (DFW) whos on here quite a bit, and we're currently working on maintaining spine angle rotation and losing a hip sway I have. This in turn will improve core speed and help me turn into the ball quicker in the downswing producing more clubhead speed.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 scores

scores

scores

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6242
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Play other sports I am old but I still play hockey.. shoot hoops.. run .. Workout.. become more flexible and last but not least hit the gym..

Swing a heavy club ... I remember  Fixer Slicer swearing by this method.

#12 acquadiice

acquadiice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98821
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

just a general question here, how accurate are the simulators at the local GG and GS?

#13 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

Not sure, some I heard are very accurate, but I no I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods and it was off 10-20 yards

#14 acquadiice

acquadiice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

View PostUNCC Golf#1, on Jan 1 2010, 07:12 PM, said:

Not sure, some I heard are very accurate, but I no I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods and it was off 10-20 yards

that's very interesting because i felt they weren't so accurate...

i first went to GS to test out some drivers and was hitting between 105-110mph club head speed consistently

today, i went to GG to test out some more drivers and was hitting between 110-115mph club head speed consistently, even hit up to 124 a few times

another thing i found interesting was that i also got a smash factor of 1.53 and 1.54 a couple of times, i thought the maximum was 1.5?

#15 lamchirp

lamchirp

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100064
  • Ebay ID:lamchirp

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Take a lesson and have the mechanics looked at.

Tom Watson is about 60 and he still swings it around 110 MPH. All things being equal, there is no reason a conscientious exercise program with good stretching routines won't work for any age.

I find the weighted drivers that allow you to hit balls are very good for building the right kind of speed (e.g., connected). If you make a bad swing there is immediate feedback and almost no chance of keeping balance or not slicing the ball. If you hit 10-15 focusing on getting the ball straightened out as you go (reducing the inevitable slice at the start), you are working on the right kind of muscles and your own driver will feel like a toothpick. I think it works on flexibility, as well, as the weight works to push the turn an extra notch in both directions.

Nobody says you have to stick to a 44/45/46 inch shaft, either, but the best bet is to add speed through proper mechanics and exercise/ training.

#16 CHOPARTIST

CHOPARTIST

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91222

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Id stay away from weighted clubs...

#17 jacksonlui

jacksonlui

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9823
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

how do you have a 85-90 and be able to rip it 260?

#18 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

No now I hit it only 230 to 240. I want to at least hit it 260

#19 jacksonlui

jacksonlui

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9823
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

oh ok. my bad, i misread.
i found the easiest way to gain speed is to swing on plane.
i guess the second thing is sequence but that's the hardest thing for me to right now.

#20 acquadiice

acquadiice

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

i think the best way is fixing mechanics and being able to control the backswing.  I felt that if you had a good backswing that loads you up in the correct position, you can explode down hard and still be able to hit the ball very well but thats just me...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 dablph

dablph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76390

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

Don't be surprised that when you get to 260 you'll then want to start piping it 290. ;)

I want to average 28 putts per round...and when I get there I'll want to average 25. :lol:

Good luck though, and don't rule out working on your short game which isn't as reliant on swing speed.

BTW I'm doing P90X, focussing on core strength and flexibility.

#22 lamchirp

lamchirp

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100064
  • Ebay ID:lamchirp

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

View Postslippery130, on Jan 1 2010, 07:50 PM, said:

Id stay away from weighted clubs...
Thats an interesting video, thanks for posting. The influence on the batter is a shock. I agree with the potential adverse influence if used as a warmup to a round, vice as part of a regimen or as a training aid to develop strength. MC

#23 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Happy Gilmore works !!!!!!!!!!!!!! = give it a go ;)

#24 whitepatch342

whitepatch342

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70721

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

As posted above swing mechanics will help but id stay away from that if your a 5 hdcp because your a five with that swing why not stick with it. I can somewhat relate to your problem as im trying to add that extra 10 to 20 yards on. What i can say is proper fitting with high end shafts will give you a quick little boost. Secondly ive heard in some threads many memebers working out over the winter maybe if some of you guys that are lifting or doing a specific program could give some advice it may be helpful. Good luck chap

#25 UNCC Golf#1

UNCC Golf#1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm borrowing my friends medicus swing speed thing. I have gotten up to 101 mph and for now I can live with it. Hopefully, now I can swing at that speed enough to maintain balance and such. I also starting a weight lifting program for mon. and wed. mornings while I play golf in the afternoons.

Are there any tips you guys have that I could raise it just a little more.

#26 newyorker

newyorker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17833

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

View PostUNCC Golf#1, on 06 March 2010 - 08:05 PM, said:

I'm borrowing my friends medicus swing speed thing. I have gotten up to 101 mph and for now I can live with it. Hopefully, now I can swing at that speed enough to maintain balance and such. I also starting a weight lifting program for mon. and wed. mornings while I play golf in the afternoons.

Are there any tips you guys have that I could raise it just a little more.

Which model Medicus have you been using?

#27 tm22721

tm22721

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65200
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

Stretch your muscles in the backswing then snap rotate your hips as you feel your wrists begin  to break backwards just before the top.

Your muscles will stretch as taut as a banjo string. The faster you turn your hips the more the muscles will stretch. You can't turn your hips too fast.

Then you will feel a whip like sensation as the clubhead accelerates with speed peaking at impact.

Edited by tm22721, 07 March 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#28 contranonvalentum

contranonvalentum

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77703

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

Practice swinging with your driver as fast as you can.  Obviously, swing mechanics and strength are important.  But you didn't ask about that and I assume you are aware that the better your swing and the stronger you are, the faster you can swing.  Increased swing speed produces longer drives.  

So take your driver and make a leisurely back swing, a gentle transition and then accelerate as fast as you can on the downswing seeking to acheive maximum speed just after the ball location.  If you monitor the feel and look of the motion, you will find it is not as easy as it sounds.  Have your kept your motion but just increased the speed or has the effort to increase speed changed your motion?  Did you cast the club?  Have you let your head move in front of the ball?  Have you swung over the top?  Did the club bounce off the ground?  Did you lose your balance?  Was your swing path down the target line?  Did you release?  Were both of your arms extended past impact? How was your weight shift?  

You should do it mostly at the driving range.  Hit a normal drive.  Then take 5 or 10 practice swings, swinging as fast as you can on the downswing.  Then hit some shots swinging as fast as you can.   Then back to the practice swings.  Each time, you want to try to swing faster than the last.  Then hit a few shots with your normal swing.  When you play, just take your normal swing.  After a few weeks of this, you will notice an increase in distance while you are playing even though you are not trying to swing fast.  Once you master swinging fast, then try to start feeling an increase in the wrist **** at the start of the downswing.

Touring pros have swings that are so fluid that it appears that they are swinging easy.  But in fact, they are swinging hard and fast.  To increase distance, you have to learn to do this.  Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus were both coached to swing as fast as they could when they were young.

#29 FRANKO_LOCO

FRANKO_LOCO

botonatus tergum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94058

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

Quick bit of advice. See a pro...and swing slower...or at least feel like it. I will be 38 in less than a month. I wish I had seen a pro sooner! My swing speed is averaging 104 and my drives average(what I think they average) 255-260 at least the ones that stay in the fairway. I feel like I swing slower and I am a lot less tense. Good luck!

#30 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 2202

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

top secret

wide arc on the downswing. club runs along the ground for a long time.

Edited by bscinstnct, 10 March 2010 - 11:06 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors