Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best cold weather golf balls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 igolfalot

igolfalot

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101129
  • Ebay ID:barginsforevery1
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

I am playing in a tournament in Feb and the weather will be between 30 - 50 degrees. My swing speed with a driver is around 105 and my handiacp is 8.2. I am looking for help finding a good cold weather golf ball for my game. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

View Postigolfalot, on Dec 31 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

I am playing in a tournament in Feb and the weather will be between 30 - 50 degrees. My swing speed with a driver is around 105 and my handiacp is 8.2. I am looking for help finding a good cold weather golf ball for my game. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Pinnacle Soft
TaylorMade LDP
NXT Tour Extreme

These all play good in cool weather (cold is -35° plus the windchill).  If you play a ProV or similar ball, watch out for the short irons going further than you are used to regardless of the temp.  If I were needing to play one ball, I would chose the Taylor LDP for overall distance with feel and spin.

When it is cool out (40°-50°), I will play one of the above tee to fairway and hit my ProV from short range for better distance control.  Note: I only use the less expensive ball off the tee In casual play because of the leaves and flat light in the the fall makes finding anything remotely near the rough very tough. I am prepared to accept losing a $1 ball (and quickly move on) because of the conditions but there is no sense in doing that with a brand new ProV or similar.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#3 hsu.mitch

hsu.mitch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80634

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I find the Wilson Zip an exceptional cold weather ball, and right now they are discounted heavily at most retailers. Pick up a sleeve/dozen.

#4 ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Staying away from thrift stores....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61226
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

The Zips are good, as are the Staff 50 Elites.

However, I used Srixon AD333s as my fall gamer this year (golfing in the high 30's to low 40's) and was surprised how little distance I lost with them.  They actually spin pretty well for a 2-piece also.
TaylorMade r7 460
Maxfli Carbon Graphite 3 + 5W
Maxfli TM-92 Aussie Blades, 3-W
Wilson Sandy Andy - Alum shaft
Wilson RPMax LW
Maxfli Tad Moore TM-8
WITB Link

#5 UNC Nick

UNC Nick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56070

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

Another vote for the Staff 50 Elites.  Was shocked how much I liked playing them in sub-40* temps.  Normally play V1x or One Black.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors