Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Resigning your Club Membership

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoganguy

hoganguy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53040
  • Ebay ID:ichabod98
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

I currently have a contract with a local country club.  The term is up in March and I can continue without a contract which makes me subject to assessments and rate increases or I can sign a new contract.  I do not want to continue at this club and plan to resign/terminate my membership in March.  We pay ahead for dues, so when I get a bill in early March it is for March to April dues and February expenses.  Once that is paid my obligation is met.  

I have never been a member of a club before so my question is how do I resign/terminate the membership, what are the typical requirements or what is appropriate in terms of notice, formality etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bg1

bg1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:31 AM

Unless specific language is written into the contract for this procedure, a letter of resignation/termination of membership with the last payment would suffice to accomplish your intentions.
Big Bertha 10.5*
Big Bertha 15*
Titleist 913H 19*
Titleist 714 AP1 4-W1
Vokey SM5 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

#3 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 600

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

I would think each club may have unique requirements so it would be advisable to read the terms of your contract.

#4 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1369

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

Just a stray thought here, but if you are on good terms with the members of the club it might be in their best interests to know of your plans in advance, particularly at the beginning of a golf season.  Perhaps you can give them the assistance of early notice, like you might when leaving a job for which you have respect.  It is also possible that you might negotiate a plan for leaving that differs from the contract (for instance, one more month) if that is mutually beneficial to you and the club.

#5 Russ Arnold

Russ Arnold

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4543

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

When I resigned from a club, that I had been a member of for 20 years, I wrote a letter to the club board president and club manager telling them that  my situation had changed and I found it necessary to resign. I was obligated to pay all current charges and fees through the end of the month (our year started on March 1). Fortunately we did not have any assessments. Best advice is to contact the club management and ask them.

#6 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

Send a letter to the GM/Membership director and call them later to make sure they received it and to sort out any details of your resignation. If you are dealing with a corporate-owned club that might try to get tricky on you (i. e. saying you missed a deadline to resign, you owe extra fees for waiting until a certain time, we never received your letter, etc.) then send the letter via certified mail, return receipt requested.

#7 Lean23

Lean23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69249

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hoganguy,

At your club, you have to write a letter of resignation at least 30 days in advance. You can state in your letter the specific day that you want the membership to end. I actually stated the 15th of a month as my last day. They charged me for half of that month. If you know right now that you are going to resign at the end of March you could turn in the letter anytime between now and March 1st.

If you PM me, I can tell you exactly who that letter is supposed to be sent to.

Edit: I emailed my letter. That was sufficient.

Edited by Lean23, 18 January 2010 - 09:14 PM.

#8 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

I left the club where I'd been a junior member and full member for nigh on twenty years three years ago. My letter to the Secretary (with a copy to the Captain) was a simple affair, short and to the point, and contained all the usual bumph.

It is with regret that owing to personal circumstances I find it necessary to tender my resignation as a member XXXXXXX Golf Club with effect from...

Notwithstanding the above, I have always been happy at XXXXXXX and I will take with me many fond memories of my time at the club, the occasions on which I have had the honour to represent it, and of the many friends and acquaintances I have made during my time as a member...

I would appreciate an ackowledgement of this letter at your convenience...

As long as you include all the usual stuff you shouldn't ruffle any feathers. It's also not really good form to tell them that you're going elsewhere, or indeed where you're going, as it may be construed as a bit of an disingenuous remark towards the club or the course. You may well be going to the club five miles down the road, and they may know full well that you're going, but in my experience it's better not to reference it in your resignation letter.

Edited by mat562, 18 January 2010 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors