Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

sevenfourate's: Old skool WITB - 5th Jan 19 'update'.

196 replies to this topic

#181 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7732
  • Handicap:ped
  • Ebay ID:sevenfourate
GolfWRX Likes : 840

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

First game in 2.5 years today. New bag was on the whole really good apart from driver developing a small rattle :-( Anyone suggest someone who's the business of a Clubmaker and can hotmelt in the UK ???

Posted Image

Few snaps of Dunston Hall in Norwich on a Glorious October day in the UK:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Golf ? I literally hit 8 irons for an hour yesterday (Mainly due to a dodgy back of late) and rocked up today with low expectations. I set myself a goal of getting 6 pars - which i'd have taken in a heart-beart.

Actually got 12 pars, 2 doubles (2 x OOB of the tee left) and 4 Bogeys. Amazingly pleased all in all.............

Regards - 'Shuv'

TITLEIST 905-R 9.5 degree  -  Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
BRIDGESTONE J33-R (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
MIZUNO FLI-HI CLK (20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
CALLAWAY X-22 Tour Irons (5-PW) - PX 6.5 Flighted
CALLAWAY MD-3 Black (52 + 58) - DG PRO S300
ODYSSEY White Hot Pro 7 Putter - 343g / 34.75"
TAYLORMADE TP-5 Golfballs

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#182 ScottyGilbert

ScottyGilbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188712
  • Handicap:7.3
  • Ebay ID:wscottgilbert
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Hey Shuv, looks like a nice day out!

I could have a look at your driver (would need to find some rat glue) but I would suggest you try a DIY fix first:

Stick the sole in boiling hot water for a few minutes, then hit the bottom on the club onto the carpet or other hard / slightly cushioned surface 2-3 times (like whacking the tee box after a bad drive....if you can imagine....I canít, honest....)
The head will have a small bit of rat glue in it already for catching small bits of debris, if itís not a huge piece this will catch it and stop the rattle

If that doesnít work, give me a shout and I can drill out the plug and out some more rat glue in, and replug

Scotty ;-)
Titleist 917 D2 10.5* playing 9.75*, Mitsui Diamana S+ Blue 60s
Titleist 917 F2 15* Mitsui Diamana S+ Blue 70s (or Fujikura Speeder Pro 84 Stiff)
Hybrid slot pending?!
Mizuno MP4 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 50-08 F KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 54-10 S KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 58-04 L DGS200, bent to 59-05 (or Taylormade 60* Hi-Toe)
TM Tour Black Spider

#183 Pure745

Pure745

CPC #15

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35341
  • Handicap:Baby
GolfWRX Likes : 9201

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

SHUV!  Good to see your name pop up my friend, hope you're well!  :drinks:
Titleist TS3 8.5 - Fujikura TR7
Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
Mizuno 919T - KBS CTL
Mizuno S18 46/50

Vokey 54V/60V
Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/

#184 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostScottyGilbert, on 18 October 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Hey Shuv, looks like a nice day out!

I could have a look at your driver (would need to find some rat glue) but I would suggest you try a DIY fix first:

Stick the sole in boiling hot water for a few minutes, then hit the bottom on the club onto the carpet or other hard / slightly cushioned surface 2-3 times (like whacking the tee box after a bad drive....if you can imagine....I can't, honest....)
The head will have a small bit of rat glue in it already for catching small bits of debris, if it's not a huge piece this will catch it and stop the rattle

If that doesn't work, give me a shout and I can drill out the plug and out some more rat glue in, and replug

Scotty ;-)

PM incoming Scotty. Thanks....

View PostPure745, on 18 October 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

SHUV!  Good to see your name pop up my friend, hope you're well!  :drinks:

Hey Tai ! Hope you and yours are suitably well buddy.

Thanks - REALLY good to be back in the game. I so enjoyed today's round. I've been around the World a bit golfwise - and i'm my own worst enemy taking things so seriously and giving everything i do 200%.

Need to roll-it-back a bit more and enjoy the process. Hopefully that comes with age !

Cheers.
Regards - 'Shuv'

#185 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:45 AM

'New' bag working out great; and second round into 'the comeback' scraped together a 76 (+4) around Rookery Park in Lowestoft yesterday. I was a little 'concerned' over the stock X-22 Tour lie-angles before using. Not enough to do anything drastic right away now. They seem pretty good so far. Perhaps when i have a little more golf under my belt i'll look into it more.......

Hybrid is rapidly turning into a 'go-to' [Which we all need one off !!!). GPS'd a couple at around the 230 yard mark off the tee and also knocked one down on a par 3 of around 210. Putter is the unknown. Playing a little less - as i think will happen, do i go to a small mid-size but face balanced mallet. Al-La Odyssey or similar. We'll see.......

Some really good striking in places going back to the golf (10 GIR i think), unsurprisingly a few one man scrambles; and 34 putts. To be fair i hit it along way away in 2 on one par 5, along way away in 3 on another and had at least 2 more like 40 foot from the flag. So coming back to the game after a 30 month lay-off....a few 3 putts from there was always going to be the case.

Also had a fantastic offer from a UK member to sort out my 'rattly driver head'. Massive props to ScottyGilbert for that. Appreciated hugely buddy. I owe you already !

Few average phone pics of the course yesterday:

Approach to the 1st:

Posted Image

Par 5 - 7th Hole - (Can still see scars from a very hot and dry summer beside bunker):

Posted Image

And the fabulous Stroke Index 2 / 432 yard 12th. Sharp dog leg left from about 240 yards off the tee. Trouble on left side the entire hole:

Posted Image

And here's why when your new shoes / feet give you a warning after 4 holes that they don't quite feel right - you shouldn't carry on regardless. I walk miles everyday for my job, always do lots of walking on holidays etc, never had any trouble with golf / sports trainers or any other shoes in 30 years.....but this is deffo going to hold bag my progress for a few weeks :mellow:  (Apologies if you're squeamish) ***And yes i've seen Callaway an email with pictures; reference their 30 day Comfort guarantee on shoes and how these are absolutely unwearable........

Posted Image

Looks like its some much needed short-game work for me in the meantime as I ainít walking no-where....

Edited by sevenfourate, 20 October 2018 - 05:20 AM.

Regards - 'Shuv'

#186 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

Taylormade's much loved TP5-X ball has become the first casualty of the new bag.......

I've tried, used, loved and solely gamed Taylormades balls since they first hit the shelves in 2006. From TP Red's right through to giving some of the latest TP5-X a go this week (About to consigned to history though i gather; as a 2019 model is likely on the way ???)

I play a fair bit of golf on what would best be described as an inland links. Its open, windy and not too far from the sea. ALL the Taylormades i've tried so far have been excellent at: Low'ish flight, boring through the wind [Good in side-winds] and not ballooning. IMO.

These current TP5-X just don't seem to have the complete package for me personally. And feel harder from 40 yards in than i remember from 3 years ago (?). Maybe it's mainly the trajectory windows my brain can't handle. In no way is the ball bad in any way. They just don't seem as 'awesome' as i remember.

Without a single doubt  i will try the 2019 version if it happens - the very second they are available ! But for now i'm going on a bit of a ball-nomad spell, going to whore myself around and i'm starting off by moving over to the Tiger-side......
Regards - 'Shuv'

#187 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:07 AM

With a few rounds and some practice under my belt; casualties were going to happen.

First (And hugely surprisingly as above) was the ball: Looking forward to giving these a go - as the TM's were not as i remember them......

Posted Image

Equally unexpected is the putter. Might only be short term. but with a lack of playing behind me, a lack of touch and no recent good memories to fall back on - i'm going over to a face-balanced clunker for the mean-time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But as ever - i can't 'just' leave it there...

Knocked (Bent by hand) the lie angle down to approx 68 degrees:

Posted Image

And also tweaked the double-bend shaft to give slightly less offset, and also bent the top of the shaft back toward the rear of head to give a less hands forward address position:

Posted Image

I've messed with this stuff before on a double-bend shaft / face balanced club - and know its next to impossible to do any of this and come out with a club that remains perfectly face-balanced. Changing one aspect always effects something else. And it always becomes a compromise for me ***Im really happy with this effort compared to some others i've done !!!

To be fair 'some' are far from perfect straight off the shelf / from the factory. I ended up as pictured below regarding the face-balancing, with the offset etc all being spot on for me. Getting the address / hand position and offset looking right visually and feeling 100% comfortable before you start.,is more important to me than arguing over minor degrees of toe-flow.......

Posted Image

Driver rattle has hopefully ***Turn around; touch-the-ground, lucky rabbits-foot etc*** been cured, Shaft unfortunately suffered a little cosmetically during the works so i'm having a Brand New one (Exactly the same) installed so my anal self doesn't get upset. Hoping for it back within a week to 10 days.

***Would welcome anyones thoughts on setting up lie / offset etc on a face balanced / double bend shafted putter.

Is it possible to keep it 100% face balanced when messing with a standard shaft ?

What happens if you ask for a non standard lie angle etc from Odyssey, from new ?

Good golfing folks......................... :superman:

Edited by sevenfourate, 27 October 2018 - 10:11 AM.

Regards - 'Shuv'

#188 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Shocking weather here today. So if you've got sight-lines...........They may aswell be visible !

BEFORE:

Posted Image

AFTER: (We'll......kinda 'during' :beee: )

Posted Image
Regards - 'Shuv'

#189 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

Nothing new as such. But.....Soooooooooooo excited to get my driver back today 'rattle-free' after a couple of weeks away on Holiday in Scotland  :tongue: .

Turned into a little bit of a journey getting the rubbish out; and hot-melting it afterwards - to be sure it stays rattle-free. And unfortunately the shaft was a casualty; and hence a new Grafalloy Pro-Launch Red in X tipped 3/4" same as the last has now been been fitted.

I really-really-really owe a massive THANKYOU to a fellow UK'er in ScottyGilbert for all his help with this repair. **I promise to bridge the 560 miles between us and come up and kick your as have a game and pay my dues in full next year if you'll have me :lol:  Seriously Scotty: you are a true gent and i hugely appreciate all your above and beyond efforts :hi:

Such a classic looker the 909 D2. It's everything i want in a driver.....

Posted Image

And after my recent blistering issues with shoes; i managed to find brand new NOS pair of my most favourite ever Footjoy Sport shoes on ebay. My feet are going to thank me. After all: all the perfectly-honed equipment you can shake a stick at is no use if you can't walk to actually play the game......

Posted Image

Bring on the weekend !

Edited by sevenfourate, 07 November 2018 - 01:47 PM.

Regards - 'Shuv'

#190 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:48 AM

2018 ended up with me playing a little golf with my middle son over the Christmas Holidays: on a few different local par 3 courses:

Posted Image

For how little he plays, the boys does ok too:

Posted Image

And this lead onto a couple of 'equipment' changes. Firstly at 47 years old; i'm starting to feel it if i carry my own clubs and go armed with all the clothing, different bits and pieces, spare balls, brolley etc i like to. My poor old back and shoulders like to remind me of their age in the bar afterwards !

So i managed to find a New Old Stock retro'ish (?) Tour bag to go with my [absolutely chosen] less than bang-up-to-date hardware:

Posted Image

And (Luckily :rofl: ) found a matching coloured trolley to wheel it around on:

Posted Image

And then sitting on this very site over the Christmas Holidays; i managed to buy an immaculate Titleist 905R driver head from a member in the USA. For me; this is the best looking driver head i've ever used :heart:

So another favourite Grafalloy ProLaunch Red in X flex was purchased this side of the pond. And last night i tipped it 1/2", prepped the tip and and inserted blind-bore into the thru-bore head by drilling down halfway between 1.25" and 1.5" [The two guide measurements i was given as to how deep to drill] and glued it in using the original collared ferrule which i saved. This morning i've re-done all the paint-fill......so hopefully i can clean it all up / finish off tonight. Then re-grip and away i go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Man that's one sexy, classic looking head !

Happy New Year 'guys' (Any females ever been spotted in the WITB section here ?????).

Edited by sevenfourate, 05 January 2019 - 07:34 AM.

Regards - 'Shuv'

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#191 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5336

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

The weather over Christmas in Yorkshire was, for the most part, perfect for winter golf. Sadly, I wasn't able to get out on the course because, well, reasons, but I should be able to go back over for the September event, if it goes ahead.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"  or something a bit older....MP-4s, Mac Muirfield 20ths, Mac Muirfields, Mizuno MS-11s, MS-1s, RAM Tour Grinds, Tourstage 2005 CBs, Honma PP737s, Mac R-58s, Dunlop Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades, Wilson FG-J8s (FG-17s)...uh, I've missed a few
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind  or whatever else I fancy for the day
In the 60* slot: Usually a Titlesit Vokey 260 60*
Putter: Testing some old Mizuno 8802 clone

#192 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:28 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 05 January 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

The weather over Christmas in Yorkshire was, for the most part, perfect for winter golf. Sadly, I wasn't able to get out on the course because, well, reasons, but I should be able to go back over for the September event, if it goes ahead.

Happy New Year to you buddy :drinks:

Shame you didn't get out. Weather was pretty fabulous here too all things considered.

**Now going to 'Bump' the 2019 thread. But i'm all in for it going ahead and will be trying my damndest to make it happen.
Regards - 'Shuv'

#193 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5336

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

View Postsevenfourate, on 05 January 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 05 January 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

Happy New Year to you buddy :drinks:

Shame you didn't get out. Weather was pretty fabulous here too all things considered.

**Now going to 'Bump' the 2019 thread. But i'm all in for it going ahead and will be trying my damndest to make it happen.

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I wish I could have even had 9 holes at the local par-3 course. But as I went back with the family, I had to look after them instead. All part of the long game so I can get over in late August by myself and play then :pimp:
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"  or something a bit older....MP-4s, Mac Muirfield 20ths, Mac Muirfields, Mizuno MS-11s, MS-1s, RAM Tour Grinds, Tourstage 2005 CBs, Honma PP737s, Mac R-58s, Dunlop Maxfli TM-92 Australian Blades, Wilson FG-J8s (FG-17s)...uh, I've missed a few
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind  or whatever else I fancy for the day
In the 60* slot: Usually a Titlesit Vokey 260 60*
Putter: Testing some old Mizuno 8802 clone

#194 sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

A hour or so's cleaning up / tinkering and beautifying this morning and it's straight into the bag. Hugely **Excited**......by a club that's now 12 years old :-)

Old, old-school, set in my ways......whatever :tongue:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Regards - 'Shuv'

#195 DE-ILLINI

DE-ILLINI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181280
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

View Postsevenfourate, on 06 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

A hour or so's cleaning up / tinkering and beautifying this morning and it's straight into the bag. Hugely **Excited**......by a club that's now 12 years old :-)

Old, old-school, set in my ways......whatever :tongue:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The driver looks brand new! Enjoy.

Driver:  Cobra BioCell
4W:  Ping G15
3H & 4H:  Cobra Baffler
5 - SW:  Ping G25
58*:  Cleveland CBX
Putter:  Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

#196 MoaningM

MoaningM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 517

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

Driver looks immaculate Shuv, good to see your still playing, and dont give up on the bag carrying, ive gone back to carrying, am hoping it will strengthen my back more than weaken!

Keep swinging!

#197 Shanks2424

Shanks2424

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439046
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

905R Classic driver one of the best Titleist has ever made. I miss mine but so much more accurate with my Titleist 909D3 8.5 Matrix HD7 stiff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors