Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shaft lean at address?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

I get the impression that there are 2 camps with regards to shaft angle at address.  Some golfers seem to set up with their hands at the ball, so there's no (or very little) forward shaft lean at address, while others use the built in shaft lean of the club combined with ball position to determine hand position resulting in a good amount of shaft lean at address for the shorter irons/wedges.

It feels natural for me to set up with my hands over the ball, with no shaft lean.  However, I feel this causes me to hit the ball with more loft than intended for the given club (and hit it shorter), and may be the reason I tend to struggle with wedges compared to players of my general ability (shoot in the mid-80s on avg) yet tend to hit the driver and longer irons better than most players of my ability (since the built in shaft lean is less for the longer clubs when compared to wedges).  Might also be the reason I take very small divots if any.

Anyways, is one of these address positions recognized as more proper/fundamental?

Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland 588 MB (or TA5 gunmetal) 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 goldfinger007

goldfinger007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60872
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

brew4eagle, on Dec 7 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

I get the impression that there are 2 camps with regards to shaft angle at address.  Some golfers seem to set up with their hands at the ball, so there's no (or very little) forward shaft lean at address, while others use the built in shaft lean of the club combined with ball position to determine hand position resulting in a good amount of shaft lean at address for the shorter irons/wedges.

It feels natural for me to set up with my hands over the ball, with no shaft lean.  However, I feel this causes me to hit the ball with more loft than intended for the given club (and hit it shorter), and may be the reason I tend to struggle with wedges compared to players of my general ability (shoot in the mid-80s on avg) yet tend to hit the driver and longer irons better than most players of my ability (since the built in shaft lean is less for the longer clubs when compared to wedges).  Might also be the reason I take very small divots if any.

Anyways, is one of these address positions recognized as more proper/fundamental?

You're talking about the difference between address hand position and impact hand position.  As to (more proper/fundamental) the club and shot selection can have some bearing on which needs to happen.  A lower chip or pitch can be well served by an impact hand position with the ball more to the rear of the stance.  For long clubs and fuller swings the more prominently used position is address hand position: however, it's important to note that impact hand position at impact can produce the greatest compression.
You may want to determine if you are flipping or throwing the club head away at impact.

#3 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2444

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Shaft lean is dictated mostly by ball position.  If your hands are above the ball with a driver...not so bad.  If it is over the ball with a wedge, short pitch or chip...you are asking for some major problems.  First and foremost, it is very diffiuclt to turn the club away like that.  You are almost forced to initiate the takeaway with the hands.
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#4 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 783

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

To me it's all about the type of shot you'd like to hit.  Biggest push/draw handle most forward and biggest pull/cut the hands furthest behind the ball.

#5 swing the clubhead!

swing the clubhead!

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94473
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:34 AM

i found that when i had to much shaft lean on wedge shots i tended to smother the ball at impact causing me to hit shots low and left.since i returned to a more neutral set up i am hitting the ball with the correct loft and i am taking shallower divots!

#6 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99317

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

Start with mid body hands and learn to move dynamically to forward hands. Except maybe some shorter shots.

#7 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

iteachgolf, on Dec 7 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

To me it's all about the type of shot you'd like to hit. Biggest push/draw handle most forward and biggest pull/cut the hands furthest behind the ball.

Are you suggesting that a player actually do this to start a ball left and cut it?

#8 tony_teetime

tony_teetime

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27182
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

Kevin SHields, on Dec 8 2009, 07:26 AM, said:

Start with mid body hands and learn to move dynamically to forward hands. Except maybe some shorter shots.
+1   :good:

I do it the same way with all full swing  and perhaps a preset open hip and slight shaft lean at setup for shorter shot (chip and mini pitch)

Keep in mind that at impact position , your body position will not be the same as when you set up.  At setup time,  your knees , hips and shoulder line are parallel to the target.  But at impact your knee and hip line are open to the target.  So when you return your hands to the mid body with this open hip , it will put your hands ahead with the forward shaft lean automatically if you release correctly.

So for full swing , start with mid body hands and learn to move dynamically to forward hands.

#9 jeffblais09

jeffblais09

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36916
  • Ebay ID:thegreatblais
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

straight line from shaft through left arm, or lead arm i should say. just how jack nicklaus says to do it. works for me. just my 2 cents tho

#10 gmbtempe

gmbtempe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76148
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

brew4eagle, on Dec 7 2009, 05:09 PM, said:

the both work fine but I would say there are many other components in the swing which would make one better than the other.

For me personally I already have trouble on the backswing with having to push the club around my right hip do to a lack of flexibility, when I use impact hand location it just makes that move worse.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 783

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Kevin SHields, on Dec 8 2009, 07:28 AM, said:

To me it's all about the type of shot you'd like to hit. Biggest push/draw handle most forward and biggest pull/cut the hands furthest behind the ball.

Are you suggesting that a player actually do this to start a ball left and cut it?
Realistically not on the extreme end no, but for someone trying to hit a cut that starts left I would suggest mid body hands (vertical to maybe slightly backwards shaft lean) with a slightly closed clubface.

#12 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

jeffblais09, on Dec 8 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

straight line from shaft through left arm, or lead arm i should say. just how jack nicklaus says to do it. works for me. just my 2 cents tho

Interestingly enough, Jack started with forward hands and "un-did" them by the time his hands were at his right thigh. He had a slight lagging clubhead takeaway.

#13 Kevin SHields

Kevin SHields

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

iteachgolf, on Dec 8 2009, 12:28 PM, said:

Kevin SHields, on Dec 8 2009, 07:28 AM, said:

Realistically not on the extreme end no, but for someone trying to hit a cut that starts left I would suggest mid body hands (vertical to maybe slightly backwards shaft lean) with a slightly closed clubface.

At Address. I got ya.

#14 jeffblais09

jeffblais09

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36916
  • Ebay ID:thegreatblais
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Kevin SHields, on Dec 9 2009, 09:13 AM, said:

jeffblais09, on Dec 8 2009, 10:32 AM, said:

Interestingly enough, Jack started with forward hands and "un-did" them by the time his hands were at his right thigh. He had a slight lagging clubhead takeaway.

i do sumthing very similar haha

#15 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Kevin SHields, on 08 December 2009 - 07:26 AM, said:

For the last several years ive had forward press into my set up thinking this would lower ball flight and compress the ball better.  Recently, tried the " mid" body hands or over the ball, which actually feels like I have the club leaning back, which when i check in a mirror is about even.  Compression and shot shape is improved.  Feels a little weird, like the left wrist at address is very bent, however, with the forward press it must make my swing path too steep and too much dynamic de lofting at impact.  there was only the front club edge had marks on it, where as the with mid hands there is not as much front edge digging and marks on the entire sole of the club.

With hands mid body, how does one flight the ball down? Ball position further back?

Thanks

#16 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

iteachgolf, on 07 December 2009 - 08:31 PM, said:

To me it's all about the type of shot you'd like to hit.  Biggest push/draw handle most forward and biggest pull/cut the hands furthest behind the ball.

Do  you advocate mid hands like this GOlf.com sergio article  - http://www.golf.com/...-slide-3#237290

I think over the years I have over done the fw press at address and become too steep, only the front edge of my irons have marks on the sole.  Leaned back a little and bam, compression was better, everything felt better.  From a mid hands pos, how would one keep the ball down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors