Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Srixon Z-TX irons

34 replies to this topic

#1 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6181
  • Handicap:+1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

I realize since the new Srixon clubs are a green grass only release that the reviews or even opportunities to hit are limited.  Has anyone gotten a chance to hit the new irons?  How do they play/feel?  How is the forgiveness?  I am still playing my old Titleist 690 blades but definitely need to go to something more forgiving.  These have peaked my interest as they still have a thin topline, look compact and have a small offset.  Thoughts?

TM SLDR 430 10.5* Rogue 70TX
Callaway 3Deep 13* Fuji TS 7.3X
Callaway Apex Pro 3-PW, Tour-V 120X
On a putter hunt
Fourteen RM12 52* and 58* DGS400

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mx6262

mx6262

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93496
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

I hope to hit a Demo set sometime this week or next... :clapping:

I play the 302"s , and have hit the 701tour and love them.

Rep said the new irons will be the best Srixon has made.. :rolleyes:

Cant wait will post my review when I'm done.

#3 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2251

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

As opposed to the rep saying they were the third best irons they have made? I haven't even see these yet anyone got a picture? I love the 701 line so Im interested. Thanks
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#4 mx6262

mx6262

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93496

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

I think the new irons and woods are on the srixon web site....

#5 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

It's just strange that it seems no one has really hit them.  I know that Srixon doesn't get much shelf space in most retail stores and I'm having trouble finding any store that carries them myself.  I'm hoping the success of the Z Star ball will help public reception of Srixon equipment.

On a putter hunt

#6 FAIRWAYFOUND!

FAIRWAYFOUND!

The relentless pursuit of the one putt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83976
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

View Postmjwidell, on Nov 30 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

I realize since the new Srixon clubs are a green grass only release that the reviews or even opportunities to hit are limited.  Has anyone gotten a chance to hit the new irons?  How do they play/feel?  How is the forgiveness?  I am still playing my old Titleist 690 blades but definitely need to go to something more forgiving.  These have peaked my interest as they still have a thin topline, look compact and have a small offset.  Thoughts?

I hit them and thought they felt great as a well made forged iron should feel and yes they do have a thin top line and very little offset but DON'T look compact. They do inspire confidence and are forgiving.

#7 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1701
  • Ebay ID:landygir
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

How do they compare to the 506s?  

I dont know why I got rid of mine and cant find another set anywhere!

#8 retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96887
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

Srixon has gone pro shop only with their lineup so it will be hard to find them anywhere.

Earl

#9 zed

zed

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23425
  • Ebay ID:zed4003373
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I've hit them and they rate as one of the best forgings I have hit. Haven't hurt Robert Allenby either, Sun City win in his first time out with them and followed up with a win in the Aust PGA. I'm not sure but Stenson and Clarke were both using Srixon as well at Sun City but not sure they were the FTX. I loved the i-701's but I believe these are an improvement in feel and playability. They feel softer and yet the head whilst being compact doesn't seem small (if that makes any sense).

#10 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the review zed - it seems to be pretty tough to find many people who have actually hit them.  I put an order in for a set with KB Tours so I'll make sure to post my thoughts as well.

On a putter hunt

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22522
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

View Postzed, on Dec 23 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

I've hit them and they rate as one of the best forgings I have hit. Haven't hurt Robert Allenby either, Sun City win in his first time out with them and followed up with a win in the Aust PGA. I'm not sure but Stenson and Clarke were both using Srixon as well at Sun City but not sure they were the FTX. I loved the i-701's but I believe these are an improvement in feel and playability. They feel softer and yet the head whilst being compact doesn't seem small (if that makes any sense).

All named players doe´snt use the F-TX. 701, 506 are in their bags and no F-TX woods.

But I think there are forged and cast Z-TX irons. Srixon Europe describes the Z-TX forged, Srixon US stainless steel. And besides, these guys have no info about the spec of their products.

It seems the F-TX line is a great disaster for Srixon.

#12 tinman

tinman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70670
  • Ebay ID:tinman1968.315
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:57 AM

View PostFAIRWAYFOUND!, on Dec 1 2009, 01:41 AM, said:

View Postmjwidell, on Nov 30 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

I realize since the new Srixon clubs are a green grass only release that the reviews or even opportunities to hit are limited. Has anyone gotten a chance to hit the new irons? How do they play/feel? How is the forgiveness? I am still playing my old Titleist 690 blades but definitely need to go to something more forgiving. These have peaked my interest as they still have a thin topline, look compact and have a small offset. Thoughts?

I hit them and thought they felt great as a well made forged iron should feel and yes they do have a thin top line and very little offset but DON'T look compact. They do inspire confidence and are forgiving.

+1 They do feel great at impact(very soft),but are a bigger head than i thought they would be.
Cobra ZL Encore/MP650
Cobra Rail f 15.5*/Mizuno mx700/18*
Mizuno JPX825's/4-PW
Cobra S3 Pro's/ Rifle 5.0's
Mizuno MP R12 52/58
Bettinardi SS7

#13 pmas93

pmas93

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11897
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

But I think there are forged and cast Z-TX irons. Srixon Europe describes the Z-TX forged, Srixon US stainless steel. And besides, these guys have no info about the spec of their products.

WOW, they really haven't hit the shops and the lines a disaster.  Have you hit any of the line?  
I have hit them and are finally giving up my 302's for the new line or irons.  I found them just as the other posters here, thin top line, little off set, but they don't seem small.  
The hybrids had a high pitched "ting" sound to them but very solid.  Loved the fairway and driver on the range.  Should have the full bag in a couple of week.  I went with the KBS shafts soft-stepped since I have always played the rifle 5.0.
I don't think these will be a disaster at all.  Should be well recieved once some product gets out there and people actually get to hit it in the warm weather this spring.

Edited by pmas93, 23 December 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#14 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

View Postpmas93, on Dec 23 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

WOW, they really haven't hit the shops and the lines a disaster.  Have you hit any of the line?  
I have hit them and are finally giving up my 302's for the new line or irons.  I found them just as the other posters here, thin top line, little off set, but they don't seem small.  
The hybrids had a high pitched "ting" sound to them but very solid.  Loved the fairway and driver on the range.  Should have the full bag in a couple of week.  I went with the KBS shafts soft-stepped since I have always played the rifle 5.0.
I don't think these will be a disaster at all.  Should be well recieved once some product gets out there and people actually get to hit it in the warm weather this spring.

It´s funny to read your post. But nobody carries the Srixon´s and only a few handpicked people know, where the F-TX line is available and the US release is forged or cast.

And look, only Ebay is selling the F-TX line for disounted prices. That´s a disaster for a new release.

#15 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

Anyone play this new iron and compared them to the 506? thanks

#16 jdanlaw

jdanlaw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2677
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Picked up the set (4 - P) of Z-TX with KBS Tour shafts yesterday and had a chance to hit them today.  The heads appear slightly larger than most player's CBs, and have very little offset.  The cavities are not visible from address (so you are not distracted by the sticker in the cavity) and the top line is fairly thin.  Trajectory is high, forgiveness is moderate, and feel is fairly clicky.  The sole was very playable and they did not dig in the least.

I'm fairly impressed, but like most irons, they are not outstanding in any area.

#17 zed

zed

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23425
  • Ebay ID:zed4003373
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:40 AM

View Posthmx3, on Dec 23 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

View Postzed, on Dec 23 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

All named players doe´snt use the F-TX. 701, 506 are in their bags and no F-TX woods.

Are you certain Allenby isn't using the FTX. There was a lot of coverage after his excellent first round at Sun City and he stated on numerous occasions in interviews that he just taken delivery of his new irons with conforming V grooves and thought what the heck, give em a try. Give a try he did, and 2 wins later. I would be surprised if these weren't the the FTX.

The FTX hybrids are probably the best I have ever hit to date, long and explosive and you can generate some nice shape to the shot with the stock Diamana shaft as well. I know 2 people who are now bagging these after the demo night alone. I will likely grab one also, however, I want to try the new Cleveland hybrid which aren't released in Aust yet. I would like to try the Miz MX700 as well, but I have to say the FTX hybids are real weapons.

The driver, well, I don't know what you think but it is getting harder and harder for a new driver to standout from previous offerings. There are just so many frigging good drivers out there at the moment and released over the past 2 years. But the FTX is far from a dud and would appear to suit the better player in terms of feel and ball flight rather than the mid marker. My golf instructor just replaced his long time BS J33 which he loved with the new FTX and he kills it.

#18 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

Allenby is playing the 701: http://blogs.golf.co...rt-allenby.html

I haven´t hit the Z-TX line, because it was imossible to get a demo stick in the whole Orlando area.

But I got the info from Srixon, the Z-TX driver is medium spin head, so I´m surprised, that your pro switches form the low spin Bridgestone to the Z-TX.

Edited by hmx3, 24 December 2009 - 05:40 AM.

#19 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

http://thehackerspar...?p=6635&cpage=1

great and honest review here of the Irons

#20 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

So no one has hit these and the 506s to compare?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

I think it's absurd to deem the ZTX line a failure - a bit premature, don't you think?  Also, it's going to be difficult for those that are interested if they are looking for the FTX line as some in this thread are calling it. ;)

Edited by mjwidell, 24 December 2009 - 04:14 PM.

On a putter hunt

#22 pmas93

pmas93

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

Landy,
I have hit both, but not long term on the ZT-X to be able to give you proper feedback.  My problem with the 506's was the sharp leading edge and I tend to be a digger and they never worked for me.  The grind on the new irons is much better than the 506's.
Hopefully the rain will stop in the next few months long enough here in Georgia for the golf courses to dry out and have fairways that are not like hitting a ball off of a muddy sponge.
I will let you know if I can ever get out and spend some quality time on the course with them.

#23 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the info. Trying to find a demo to try of see it before ordering.  I loved the 506s and hope the new ztxs are as good.  Are they the same size?  I look forward to your review thank you

#24 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

I finally got to hit them!  I hit several irons from the set (5,6,7 & PW) and all I can say is WOW!  Same size as the 506s but better design for leading edge.  The weights are awesome for a mishit.
These were straight as an arrow.  A miss hit is a miss hit but a slight miss stays on line.  And the demos werent even my shaft or flex.  I like the fact they made me focus much more on my swing.  I have them next to MP 52s and has much as I liked the 52s these beat them out in length, ball flight and feel.
Srixon has a winner and I will order my set tomorrow.  Just wish to know if they are making match wedges or do I go with CG15s?

PMAS93 - You are really going to like them if you liked the 506s like I did and the edge was your issue.  Good luck!

#25 Landy

Landy

Major Winner

• 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Oh and I had also demoed the MX300s and the AP2s.  The Srixon ZTX take them all IMHO.

I rate them ZTXs - AP2s - MX300 - MP52s.

More info to follow!

#26 pmas93

pmas93

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

Srixon is not doing wedges anymore.  You have to go with the CG-15's.  I got two of mine in Thursday and got a little short game practice in and a few holes with them today.  They are awesome.  No worries about not enough spin.  I found they spin a Pro-v too much as in they were spinning back off the front of the greens, but the Srixon Z-Star was perfect on the spin.  On the 54 and 58 full wedge shots into greens the ball would take one hop and sping back within 3 feet of the pitch mark.  Go with the CG-15's you won't be sorry.

#27 mjwidell

mjwidell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

pmas - how do you like your ZTX's with KBS?  I have a set coming to me after the new year and cannot wait!  Also, what are your thoughts on the ZTX woods?
On a putter hunt

#28 pmas93

pmas93

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

I haven't gotten my ZT-X's in yet.  They should be here any day.  I can't wait either.  I will let you know as soon as they get here and the golf course dries out enough to where its not hitting off of a muddy sponge!

I've hit the demo woods in stiff flex, I usually play regular flex in my woods and hybrids.  From the little time I hit them,  the fairway seemed very similar to the previous Srixon Z-steel fairway in looks and performance.  I honestly couldn't tell a huge difference other than the new model had a higher pitched sound at impact.

The hybrids seemed to be more forgiving than Srixons previous offerings and seemed like ball flight was slightly higher but I was hitting range balls with them so I will have to wait and see if that holds true on course with the Z-star ball.  The hybrid had the same high pitched sound at impact as the fairway, maybe even a little louder.  Take the sound comments with a grain of salt because I'm a music person and sound is big to me where others may say they didn't even notice it.

The driver from address looks great, classic look.  When you flip it over it looks like a new aged weapon.  Once again, my only experience so far has been on the range with range balls or as I call them, GBSO, Golf Ball Shaped Objects, cause range balls do nothing like good golf balls do.  The driver I hit had the stiff shaft which felt pretty dang stiff and the loft was a 9.5 so I wasn't getting as high of a launch angle as I would like so hopefully this will change with the regular flex and a 10.5 head.  It was very workable in terms of moving the ball left to right and right to left.

Hopefully all of these will perform even better when I get shafts and lofts that fit me.

#29 puttitin

puttitin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5937
  • Handicap:15

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

I would like to hear from those who have also played the i-701 or i-701 tours. Is it worht switching, performance wise?
I haven't seen the Z-TX irons in person,but from the pictures they appear a tad too busy,and the badge at the back is not what I was expecting from Srixon who had thus far managed to steer clear of badges and stickers a la TM an Ping.
Another question: Is the Z-TX forging a One piece forging as the i-701 tours, or a Two piece forging as the regular i-701 irons?
Driver: Ping G20 + Titleist 913 D2
Woods:R7 TP # 3+5 STEELHEAD III #3+5
Hybrids: RBZ 2  #  4 + 5
714 AP1 - MX-200
Putter : Odessey White Hot Tour #1
Wedges: Cleveland CG16 : 52° + 56°

#30 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

View Postputtitin, on Dec 28 2009, 11:47 AM, said:

I would like to hear from those who have also played the i-701 or i-701 tours. Is it worht switching, performance wise?
I haven't seen the Z-TX irons in person,but from the pictures they appear a tad too busy,and the badge at the back is not what I was expecting from Srixon who had thus far managed to steer clear of badges and stickers a la TM an Ping.
Another question: Is the Z-TX forging a One piece forging as the i-701 tours, or a Two piece forging as the regular i-701 irons?

I think you read my mind. It appears to me that 701 Tour looked more traditional.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors