Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ORIGINAL PING ANSER

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KingOAces

KingOAces

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9867
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

Does anyone know what finishes were offered and what the styles were for the ORIGINAL Ping Anser? I happened to come across one in extremely good condition. It has what looks like a 3x Black finish which i thought was what set it apart from other's i've seen. Also in the cavity, it says at the top KARSTEN as opposed to KARSTEN MFG. CORP in other's i've seen. This is the first putter i have owned that has a sound slot and boy does it make a massive difference. Any PING ANSER experts out there know what I got?
THANKS

KinG

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KingOAces

KingOAces

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have some pics of the putter to give everyone a better idea.

No Sightline
Posted Image

Different words in cavity
Posted Image

Anyone seen this finish?
Posted Image

Sound Slot: I've seen this in a couple
Posted Image

Hope this helps! THANKS

KinG

Edited by KingOAces, 20 May 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#3 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

bgrace@bobbygraceputters.com

e-mail bobby, he is the expert.  Had a beautiful color book a few years ago that had all of pings putters and forged irons in it.  I don't think he publishes it anymore, but he may answer you.  Definitely knows more than ping since most of their historians are retired or passed away that could go back to the original stuff.

#4 Geo

Geo

zero head

• Marshals
  • 5,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1027

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:09 PM

I don't know the specifics, but this is a retail Manganeze Bronze that had the antiqued finish.  I think the black finish was the result of some baking process to age the putter quicker, but was supposed to be very durable (face was buffed/ground/finished afterwards).  These were in stores during the late 90's, or at least the 97-98 range.  Let us know if you find out any more.

beruo
:wave:

#5 KingOAces

KingOAces

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

great! thanks beuro. Was the sound slot also standard in this? I will definately let you know what i find out from Bobby Grace when he return my e mail.

KinG

#6 Geo

Geo

zero head

• Marshals
  • 5,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1027

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

I believe that the sound slot was standard (seem to be more slotting of the MgBz versus other materials), though when it comes to earlier Ping putters--not a lot of standardizations--and I mean that in the good way.  Back when beryllium was kosher they did a lot of unofficial runs in different metals, and with the WRX department, much was customizable too (site-lines on Scottsdales, etc).  That's what makes Ping collecting fun, you never know what's out there, and it turns out that Mr. Karsten knew a thing or two about making a solid putter. ;)
:wave:

#7 axeman310

axeman310

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5501

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:04 PM

I recently played with a guy who had that same putter and I was wondering what model that was too.

#8 divot46

divot46

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 552

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:58 PM

I'd have to agree with Beruo. Just from what I could tell it looks like the antique finish bronze Anser. The sound slot would just be specific to that model. I have a Anser 3 in the antique finish, has a sightline, and I believe it just says Karsten in the cavity. No sound slot though.

#9 KingOAces

KingOAces

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

Ya. I tried to get some dust out of the cavity with my nail and i scratched it a little and i can see the goldish finish a little. Anyone have any idea how to refinish it when the finish starts getting faded?

KinG

#10 memphishorn

memphishorn

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10524
  • Ebay ID:memphishorn
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

I believe what you've got is as was stated, a more recent vintage Anser. The original Anser's from the 60's and 70's were an unfinished Mangenese Bronze that aged and patina'd over time. I' ve had several older Ansers and have 2 now.

That said I always liked the finish on the one you've got and I like the slot. Just gives it a different sound and feel.

Titleist 910 D2 Kali Stiff
Exotics CB2 15* YS6 Stiff
Bobby Jones H3 21* Hybrid
Titleist AP1 4-GW S300HL
Vokey Wedges 56.11 / 60.04 oil can
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic Gun Blue

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 DiscountDansGolf.com

DiscountDansGolf.com

DiscountDansGolf.com

• Sponsors
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10103
  • Ebay ID:discountdansgolf.com

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:09 AM

Nice loking putter, it made me run down to the vault to stroke my anser collection.  Your putter looks closest to one that I have, same finish and face look but mine has the TI Pixel laid into it from a few years back.  I would guess that yours is modern, but mabe a tester for the finish eventually used on the Anser F.
WE ARE AUTHORIZED GREEN GRASS CUSTOM FITTERS OF ALL THE TOP BRANDS.

ALL CUSTOM OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE AND BUILT THROUGH THE MANUFACTURER TO YOUR EXACT SPECS!

WE ARE LOCATED AT THE HIGHLANDS GOLF CLUB IN HISTORIC GEARHART, OREGON ON THE SHORES OF THE PACIFIC.

ALL MERCHANDISE IS 100% GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC AND SUPPLIED BY OUR DIRECT ACCOUNTS WITH THE TOP BRANDS!

FOR THE LOWEST PRICES CALL US AT 1-877-738-5248 OR E-MAIL US AT SALES@DISCOUNTDANSGOLF.COM!

WWW.DISCOUNTDANSGOLF.COM

Posted Image

#12 divot46

divot46

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 552

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

View PostKingOAces, on May 23 2006, 05:58 PM, said:

Ya. I tried to get some dust out of the cavity with my nail and i scratched it a little and i can see the goldish finish a little. Anyone have any idea how to refinish it when the finish starts getting faded?

KinG

I don't think those were supposed to be refinished. Mine is very dull. Love the look of it. You can take a Scotch Brite to the face to bring back the shine there. And I use a Q-tip to clean out the cavity. But as far as the rest goes, I'd call Ping and see what they say.

#13 Simp

Simp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8393
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, I believe it's a mid-to-late '90's putter. I have the same one and I posted the same exact question on here several months back and got the same replies. I even called Ping and they told me that it's a good bet that it is a mid-to-late '90's putter as well although they couldn't be 100% sure because there's no serial number. Pongman confirmed this as well. I say mid-to-late '90's as well. I got mine from a local golf shop that was going out of business for $15. I figured if it wasn't worth anything I'd get my money out of it after the first round! Simp

#14 legorc

legorc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29686

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

I actually have 2 of them exactly the same as yours, but with the Manganese Bronze finish, although overtime it gets darker but not black at all as yours, i bought them new when me and my brother start to play, like 16 years ago, seing yours i guess it was refinished with blak zinc or oxyde and it sure looks better than the ones i have. I would like to refinish the ones i got so if you have any suggestion i`ll take it

#15 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Joe Drinking Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17087
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

The Anser pictured in this thread is a late 90s production run model.  The finish is an antique finish to emulate patina.  this is not a special putter but an OTR.  I have no idea why Ping would grind the face smooth on this putter as I thought the finish was nice.  

Anyway, the original Ansers did not have any finish applied to them to make them appear vintage or aged.  The finish was a simple tumbled finish that Ping used to employ.  Regarding the scratch, I would recommend taking a black or brown sharpie and covering it up.  As for Bobby Grace, I agree that he is a tremendous source of information regarding Ping putters.  I contacted him in 2001 regarding a Dalehead Anser I had and he restored  the putter and tried to correct a finishing faux pas that Ping did to the putter.  Bobby is a great person to contact and he knows putters, especially Ping putters.

#16 WRXJIM

WRXJIM

World traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28668

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

I have a Bronze Anser with the sound slot...  What is the theory behind that???

#17 msd71

msd71

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29710
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

I had a My Day from the late 90's that looked just like this.  That antiquated finish scratched in no time flat, so I just scraped it all off with some Brasso and a brillo pad.  

I wish Ping would just go back to their original finishes, actually.

#18 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Joe Drinking Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

View PostWRXJIM, on Aug 2 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

um ... that you have a Ping putter that was made between 1966 and the early 2000s?  Without pictures it is difficult to speculate what Anser you have based on this very descriptive post.

Edited by RobotDoctor, 02 August 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#19 WRXJIM

WRXJIM

World traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

View PostRobotDoctor, on Aug 2 2007, 03:01 PM, said:

View PostWRXJIM, on Aug 2 2007, 09:57 AM, said:

um ... that you have a Ping putter that was made between 1966 and the early 2000s?  Without pictures it is difficult to speculate what Anser you have based on this very descriptive post.

Was only asking what the theory is behind the slot through the base... But seen as you need more description here it is ;)

Thanks for any info :D  I really like the feel, and didnt realise it was anything "semi special" Just a nice putter :russian_roulette:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Joe Drinking Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

I did not know whether you were speaking of the putter itself or the sound slot.  The whole purpose of the slot is to produce a certain pitch.  Some believe that the slot aids in feel but the primary purpose was to produce a certain sound when putter meets ball.  The closer the sound slot, or floating face, to the face, the higher the pitch.  Consequently, the further away from the slot is cut from the face the duller, or lower, the pitch.

I had a Dalehead Anser, 3rd version of the Anser made around 1968-1969, and really did not prefer the slot.  I owned a Cameron Catalina in the mid 90s and prefered that putter (no slot) due to the sound, or lack of pitch, that was produced when putter met ball.  Some people really love the slot and that is a good thing!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 WRXJIM

WRXJIM

World traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:36 PM

Thanks ;)  I like it, have only played one round with it so far though...

Was good on th eslow Muni course here in New York, as apposed to my light Daiwa.

Thanks again

#22 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Joe Drinking Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

View PostWRXJIM, on Aug 2 2007, 07:36 PM, said:

Thanks ;)  I like it, have only played one round with it so far though...

Was good on th eslow Muni course here in New York, as apposed to my light Daiwa.

Thanks again

You're welcome!  Enjoy the Anser and putt well.  If you really get the bug for the Anser, I would recommend that you find a Dalehead Anser (85029 zip code with sloping toe/heal weights).  This is a tremendous putter and is cast from the same mold as the highly sought after Scottsdale Anser of 1966.  

As you can see from other manufacturers, the Anser, specifically the Scottsdale Anser, is probably the most copied putter ever.  Karsten Solheim was pure genius in the design of this putter.  IMO, this putter is probably the most significant design ever.  While I am a great fan of the 8802 styled putter and game a putter of this style, the Anser has done more for golf and putting than any other putter I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors