Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Shawn Clement


  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Have any of you Golfwrx members tried out Clements swing theory of heavy momentum and the braced tilt pivot?

I have found his theory to be very helpful in my golf swing in many ways.

If you've never heard of him, check out a few of his great free videos.









Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kevcarter

kevcarter

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 765

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for posting the video on the legs, I had missed that one. I enjoy his work very much!

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#3 DukeNasty

DukeNasty

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36414
  • Joined: 08/04/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

I love the one leg, no weight shift video.  Been practicing that drill for the last several weeks and have definitely reaped the benefits.  Very similar to a Sean Foley video I found that advocates practicing while doing the same drill.  Here is a link to that one...

http://www.thegolfch.../...05&rsec=551

Thanks for posting those videos!

E.

#4 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

 kevcarter, on Nov 16 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

Thanks for posting the video on the legs, I had missed that one. I enjoy his work very much!

Kevin

Yeah watch the update to "stop topping better contact" video.  That made a big difference to me.  "dont look at the ball"...wow who wouldve thought?

#5 hogan64

hogan64

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75825
  • Joined: 02/21/2009
  • Location:Iowa
  • Ebay ID:playforfood
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

I started working on Shawn's theory in 2007. Studied his vids for hours and bought his DVD. Won our City tournament last year using a Clement built swing. Would love to make the trip to the Great White North for a lesson! My playing pals thought I was insane when I played nine holes on one leg! I laughed last because I kicked their butts. That was one to remember!


#6 macdubh

macdubh

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73161
  • Joined: 01/18/2009
  • Ebay ID:dlkemp
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Early in the year I was really struggling with my swing, I ended up completely taking it apart and trying to put it back together again. Shawn Clements was one of the sources I used to help put it back together again. I definitely benefited from some of his concepts and learned a ton about the golf swing in the process.

#7 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

thanks for posting-Shawn Clement makes the golf swing very easy to understand.

#8 honketyhank

honketyhank

    Uncle Horace

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68488
  • Joined: 10/30/2008
  • Location:Beaverton, OR, USA
  • Ebay ID:honketyhank
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

It has been almost exactly two years since I stumbled onto Shawn's videos on YouTube. I have gained a great deal from his videos. I bought his DVD's feeling like my payment was small change compared to what I had already gained from him. I am immensely grateful for his efforts.

All that having been said, do I swing like he advocates? No. But I sure understand a lot more about the mechanics of the golf swing, about the limitations and possibilities in human anatomy with respect to making a mechanically sound swing, and I have a much better 'feel' for what is happening in a good swing.

Hogan, in his Five Lessons, said something about being wary with regard to the difference between fundamentals and details. I think Shawn has sound expositions on fundamentals. But I think his 'braced tilt' and 'heavy momentum' are details best studied separately and with an open mind.

I finally gave up on his swing (I was going to say 'butt-waving head-bobbing braced-tilt momentum swing', but that sounds really disrespectful and I have nothing but respect for Shawn). Not because it (his swing) doesn't work, but because I found it to have too many 'moving parts' for me. I am not an athlete. I have a great deal of respect for his athleticism. I have even more respect for his ability to analyze what he is doing mechanically and to present it in a logical and entertaining way. But I am making better contact with the ball now that I have a steadier head and am not attempting hip turns like his Hogan power drill. Maybe because I am an old toot and not as flexible. Maybe I didn't really get what he demonstrates. Whatever.

I have gained a huge amount from him and I continue to recommend his videos to friends and even casual acquaintances. And I continue to consult his videos as I work on my own swing.

So there you are. An unequivocable, unqualified, definite A+ for the value of his videos in the presentation of fundamental for technical folks like me. A 'quivocable', qualified, fuzzy, sorta kinda good grade for the details of his swing. It works for him, could work for you, but I am not sure it is a good one for me to continue trying to implement.

#9 madjsp

madjsp

    Ohai Cupcake!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91031
  • Joined: 08/07/2009
  • Location:Houston Area
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

 honketyhank, on Nov 24 2009, 01:22 AM, said:

But I am making better contact with the ball now that I have a steadier head and am not attempting hip turns like his Hogan power drill. Maybe because I am an old toot and not as flexible. Maybe I didn't really get what he demonstrates. Whatever.

I was trying to do his power move, and it was putting my back hip too far back in my swing and I had a lot of pushes.  Now, I make sure to keep the weight on my right big toe (I am a righty) and my hips aren't turning so far and it is really keeping me on the ball.  My swing has been a lot better now!

#10 rossonero

rossonero

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47885
  • Joined: 02/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:29 AM

I have also watched a lot of his video´s and some most of them I watched and they are quite good..

But I think he really have a wired swing. On the back swing his right leg is really stretched and really much movement in his lower body and generally just looks "not" very athletic


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 resist_hard.

resist_hard.

    Tour Winner

  • Account Hold
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115855
  • Joined: 10/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

Clements is definetly one of the best if not THE best INTERNET instructors. His deliverly is suberp and has alot of helpful videos.

I agree about his action Rossonero, its not very athletic. However you can't argue with the results. Scratch both left and right handed. Hits his 6i 195yds with an 'easy' swing.

#12 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

 honketyhank, on Nov 24 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

It has been almost exactly two years since I stumbled onto Shawn's videos on YouTube. I have gained a great deal from his videos. I bought his DVD's feeling like my payment was small change compared to what I had already gained from him. I am immensely grateful for his efforts.

All that having been said, do I swing like he advocates? No. But I sure understand a lot more about the mechanics of the golf swing, about the limitations and possibilities in human anatomy with respect to making a mechanically sound swing, and I have a much better 'feel' for what is happening in a good swing.

Hogan, in his Five Lessons, said something about being wary with regard to the difference between fundamentals and details. I think Shawn has sound expositions on fundamentals. But I think his 'braced tilt' and 'heavy momentum' are details best studied separately and with an open mind.

I finally gave up on his swing (I was going to say 'butt-waving head-bobbing braced-tilt momentum swing', but that sounds really disrespectful and I have nothing but respect for Shawn). Not because it (his swing) doesn't work, but because I found it to have too many 'moving parts' for me. I am not an athlete. I have a great deal of respect for his athleticism. I have even more respect for his ability to analyze what he is doing mechanically and to present it in a logical and entertaining way. But I am making better contact with the ball now that I have a steadier head and am not attempting hip turns like his Hogan power drill. Maybe because I am an old toot and not as flexible. Maybe I didn't really get what he demonstrates. Whatever.

I have gained a huge amount from him and I continue to recommend his videos to friends and even casual acquaintances. And I continue to consult his videos as I work on my own swing.

So there you are. An unequivocable, unqualified, definite A+ for the value of his videos in the presentation of fundamental for technical folks like me. A 'quivocable', qualified, fuzzy, sorta kinda good grade for the details of his swing. It works for him, could work for you, but I am not sure it is a good one for me to continue trying to implement.

I've gone full circle from Clement, Hogan, Slice, Sevam, and back to Clement. I have had the best and easiest ball striking in years since sticking with Clement. It was a big adjustment and it's paying off big time. My friends keep wondering how I can hit the ball long with such a simple swing since my hips are so quite. The key to Clements teaching is the "effortless momentum," "braced tilt," "strong grip," and the "one legged drill." Those are the fundamentals that have eased my golf into enjoying the game with a smile on my mind.

The head bobbing is an extreme example for those struggling with the momentum aspect of the swing. Like a skier going down the slope, he bobs up and down for more or less momentum. I don't do the head bobbing but I do focus on the momentum of the down swing. In order for momentum to be used properly you have to be patient and wait for gravity to do its job. I find myself hitting the best shots when I let momentum drop my arms, once they begin to drop I simply assist the momentum by bracing up against the left side and pulling the arms into impact. The pulling is more of a swat action with the back of the left hand and the palm of my right hand. This action creates great lag and creates long shots.

The "one legged drill" is the best for anybody looking for consistency and feel of the momentum that Clements advocates. If you can hit a ball on one leg, you can definitely hit it with two legs. This drill eliminates any unnecessary movements of the hips, and keeps them steady as a washing machine.

#13 Bobcat 2

Bobcat 2

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57726
  • Joined: 06/11/2008
  • Ebay ID:Friskymuffin
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

 nickGT, on Nov 24 2009, 06:39 AM, said:

Clements is definetly one of the best if not THE best INTERNET instructors. His deliverly is suberp and has alot of helpful videos.

I agree about his action Rossonero, its not very athletic. However you can't argue with the results. Scratch both left and right handed. Hits his 6i 195yds with an 'easy' swing.

He surely said he hit the ball that far in his videos but we have no way of knowing for ourselves.

#14 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

 Bobcat 2, on Nov 24 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

 nickGT, on Nov 24 2009, 06:39 AM, said:

Clements is definetly one of the best if not THE best INTERNET instructors. His deliverly is suberp and has alot of helpful videos.

I agree about his action Rossonero, its not very athletic. However you can't argue with the results. Scratch both left and right handed. Hits his 6i 195yds with an 'easy' swing.

He surely said he hit the ball that far in his videos but we have no way of knowing for ourselves.

Shawn seems to be an honest chap. Even if he were to video his golf shot fly 195 yards, it would be near impossible to see the ball land on the green unless you were there in person.

#15 1PlaneHitter

1PlaneHitter

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62673
  • Joined: 08/08/2008
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

 juansky, on Nov 24 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

 honketyhank, on Nov 24 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

It has been almost exactly two years since I stumbled onto Shawn's videos on YouTube. I have gained a great deal from his videos. I bought his DVD's feeling like my payment was small change compared to what I had already gained from him. I am immensely grateful for his efforts.

All that having been said, do I swing like he advocates? No. But I sure understand a lot more about the mechanics of the golf swing, about the limitations and possibilities in human anatomy with respect to making a mechanically sound swing, and I have a much better 'feel' for what is happening in a good swing.

Hogan, in his Five Lessons, said something about being wary with regard to the difference between fundamentals and details. I think Shawn has sound expositions on fundamentals. But I think his 'braced tilt' and 'heavy momentum' are details best studied separately and with an open mind.

I finally gave up on his swing (I was going to say 'butt-waving head-bobbing braced-tilt momentum swing', but that sounds really disrespectful and I have nothing but respect for Shawn). Not because it (his swing) doesn't work, but because I found it to have too many 'moving parts' for me. I am not an athlete. I have a great deal of respect for his athleticism. I have even more respect for his ability to analyze what he is doing mechanically and to present it in a logical and entertaining way. But I am making better contact with the ball now that I have a steadier head and am not attempting hip turns like his Hogan power drill. Maybe because I am an old toot and not as flexible. Maybe I didn't really get what he demonstrates. Whatever.

I have gained a huge amount from him and I continue to recommend his videos to friends and even casual acquaintances. And I continue to consult his videos as I work on my own swing.

So there you are. An unequivocable, unqualified, definite A+ for the value of his videos in the presentation of fundamental for technical folks like me. A 'quivocable', qualified, fuzzy, sorta kinda good grade for the details of his swing. It works for him, could work for you, but I am not sure it is a good one for me to continue trying to implement.

I've gone full circle from Clement, Hogan, Slice, Sevam, and back to Clement. I have had the best and easiest ball striking in years since sticking with Clement. It was a big adjustment and it's paying off big time. My friends keep wondering how I can hit the ball long with such a simple swing since my hips are so quite. The key to Clements teaching is the "effortless momentum," "braced tilt," "strong grip," and the "one legged drill." Those are the fundamentals that have eased my golf into enjoying the game with a smile on my mind.

The head bobbing is an extreme example for those struggling with the momentum aspect of the swing. Like a skier going down the slope, he bobs up and down for more or less momentum. I don't do the head bobbing but I do focus on the momentum of the down swing. In order for momentum to be used properly you have to be patient and wait for gravity to do its job. I find myself hitting the best shots when I let momentum drop my arms, once they begin to drop I simply assist the momentum by bracing up against the left side and pulling the arms into impact. The pulling is more of a swat action with the back of the left hand and the palm of my right hand. This action creates great lag and creates long shots.

The "one legged drill" is the best for anybody looking for consistency and feel of the momentum that Clements advocates. If you can hit a ball on one leg, you can definitely hit it with two legs. This drill eliminates any unnecessary movements of the hips, and keeps them steady as a washing machine.

As a longtime Hogan fan and Hardy one-plane swing disciple, I have moved on to Shawn's teachings. I have had success with the Hardy stuff but could never sustain anything great. I got so frustrated that I started to look elsewhere this year and I looked into Shawn again. I found what I am looking for with his stuff. Truly, effortless power with simplicity. My hcp is down from a high of 15.2 to 7.4 since June. I hate the fact that the winter is here and I can't continue to play. I may have to change my name from "1planehitter" to effortless swinger.


#16 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

 1PlaneHitter, on Nov 24 2009, 07:41 PM, said:

 juansky, on Nov 24 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

 honketyhank, on Nov 24 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

It has been almost exactly two years since I stumbled onto Shawn's videos on YouTube. I have gained a great deal from his videos. I bought his DVD's feeling like my payment was small change compared to what I had already gained from him. I am immensely grateful for his efforts.

All that having been said, do I swing like he advocates? No. But I sure understand a lot more about the mechanics of the golf swing, about the limitations and possibilities in human anatomy with respect to making a mechanically sound swing, and I have a much better 'feel' for what is happening in a good swing.

Hogan, in his Five Lessons, said something about being wary with regard to the difference between fundamentals and details. I think Shawn has sound expositions on fundamentals. But I think his 'braced tilt' and 'heavy momentum' are details best studied separately and with an open mind.

I finally gave up on his swing (I was going to say 'butt-waving head-bobbing braced-tilt momentum swing', but that sounds really disrespectful and I have nothing but respect for Shawn). Not because it (his swing) doesn't work, but because I found it to have too many 'moving parts' for me. I am not an athlete. I have a great deal of respect for his athleticism. I have even more respect for his ability to analyze what he is doing mechanically and to present it in a logical and entertaining way. But I am making better contact with the ball now that I have a steadier head and am not attempting hip turns like his Hogan power drill. Maybe because I am an old toot and not as flexible. Maybe I didn't really get what he demonstrates. Whatever.

I have gained a huge amount from him and I continue to recommend his videos to friends and even casual acquaintances. And I continue to consult his videos as I work on my own swing.

So there you are. An unequivocable, unqualified, definite A+ for the value of his videos in the presentation of fundamental for technical folks like me. A 'quivocable', qualified, fuzzy, sorta kinda good grade for the details of his swing. It works for him, could work for you, but I am not sure it is a good one for me to continue trying to implement.

I've gone full circle from Clement, Hogan, Slice, Sevam, and back to Clement. I have had the best and easiest ball striking in years since sticking with Clement. It was a big adjustment and it's paying off big time. My friends keep wondering how I can hit the ball long with such a simple swing since my hips are so quite. The key to Clements teaching is the "effortless momentum," "braced tilt," "strong grip," and the "one legged drill." Those are the fundamentals that have eased my golf into enjoying the game with a smile on my mind.

The head bobbing is an extreme example for those struggling with the momentum aspect of the swing. Like a skier going down the slope, he bobs up and down for more or less momentum. I don't do the head bobbing but I do focus on the momentum of the down swing. In order for momentum to be used properly you have to be patient and wait for gravity to do its job. I find myself hitting the best shots when I let momentum drop my arms, once they begin to drop I simply assist the momentum by bracing up against the left side and pulling the arms into impact. The pulling is more of a swat action with the back of the left hand and the palm of my right hand. This action creates great lag and creates long shots.

The "one legged drill" is the best for anybody looking for consistency and feel of the momentum that Clements advocates. If you can hit a ball on one leg, you can definitely hit it with two legs. This drill eliminates any unnecessary movements of the hips, and keeps them steady as a washing machine.

As a longtime Hogan fan and Hardy one-plane swing disciple, I have moved on to Shawn's teachings. I have had success with the Hardy stuff but could never sustain anything great. I got so frustrated that I started to look elsewhere this year and I looked into Shawn again. I found what I am looking for with his stuff. Truly, effortless power with simplicity. My hcp is down from a high of 15.2 to 7.4 since June. I hate the fact that the winter is here and I can't continue to play. I may have to change my name from "1planehitter" to effortless swinger.

Funny.............effortless swinging is what it's all about. I know exactly what you mean.

Some people may brush Clements ideas aside and make him out to be a slingy player. But if they would give it a try, they would soon follow.

Like 1planehitter said, it's pure golf simplicity, golf nirvana.

#17 hangubber

hangubber

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65321
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

I can attest to the distances Shawn claims to hit.  I've taken lessons from him over several years and play regularly at Richmond Hill where he teaches.  On several occasions he has picked up one of my clubs and utterly bombed it.

#18 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

 hangubber, on Nov 24 2009, 07:42 PM, said:

I can attest to the distances Shawn claims to hit.  I've taken lessons from him over several years and play regularly at Richmond Hill where he teaches.  On several occasions he has picked up one of my clubs and utterly bombed it.

That's great news, I'm glad you can attest to Clements distance.

Tell him 1tontomato said hello if you see him, he knows who I am.

BTW, how far does he hit his driver, if you happen to know?

Thanks for chiming in.

#19 1PlaneHitter

1PlaneHitter

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62673
  • Joined: 08/08/2008
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Funny.............effortless swinging is what it's all about. I know exactly what you mean.

Some people may brush Clements ideas aside and make him out to be a slingy player. But if they would give it a try, they would soon follow.

Like 1planehitter said, it's pure golf simplicity, golf nirvana.


I think what I found so great about this method is the relaxed, yet powerful nature of it all. After trying to tightly wind up and getting very rigid and tense, it's great to be so relaxed and smooth, yet so powerful and accurate. Instead of trying to coil up, it's getting the body out of the way of the arms and letting good things happen. People can call it "slinging" or whatever they want but it works. I always hear people say how much they wish they could be smooth and effortless like guys like Ernie Els or freddie Couples, well here it is. I'm not saying it's the same swing as theirs, but it can have the same smooth tempo and relaxed feel while absolutely BOMBING it.

Edited by 1PlaneHitter, 24 November 2009 - 09:17 PM.


#20 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

 1PlaneHitter, on Nov 24 2009, 10:11 PM, said:

Funny.............effortless swinging is what it's all about. I know exactly what you mean.

Some people may brush Clements ideas aside and make him out to be a slingy player. But if they would give it a try, they would soon follow.

Like 1planehitter said, it's pure golf simplicity, golf nirvana.


I think what I found so great about this method is the relaxed, yet powerful nature of it all. After trying to tightly wind up and getting very rigid and tense, it's great to be so relaxed and smooth, yet so powerful and accurate. Instead of trying to coil up, it's getting the body out of the way of the arms and letting good things happen. People can call it "slinging" or whatever they want but it works. I always hear people say how much they wish they could be smooth and effortless like guys like Ernie Els or freddie Couples, well here it is. I'm not saying it's the same swing as theirs, but it can have the same smooth tempo and relaxed feel while absolutely BOMBING it.

Simply put, it's the heavy hit ala' Angel Cabrera.

Now when I finish my rounds of golf, I feel rested and relaxed, no back pains anymore.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 enotsyer

enotsyer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87814
  • Joined: 07/08/2009
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

View Postjuansky, on Nov 24 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

View Posthangubber, on Nov 24 2009, 07:42 PM, said:

I can attest to the distances Shawn claims to hit.  I've taken lessons from him over several years and play regularly at Richmond Hill where he teaches.  On several occasions he has picked up one of my clubs and utterly bombed it.

That's great news, I'm glad you can attest to Clements distance.

Tell him 1tontomato said hello if you see him, he knows who I am.

BTW, how far does he hit his driver, if you happen to know?

Thanks for chiming in.

Having taken several lessons with Shawn this summer I too can attest that he hits the ball a MILE.  The range at the Richmond Hill Golf Centre maxes out at 230 or so I think, and when he hit my driver (with its wet noodle shaft) the ball nearly flew over the net at the back of the range!

I found Shawn's lessons online this summer and immediately scheduled some lessons with him as I'm in Toronto.  His stuff made a huge difference in my swing - I played some of the best golf of my life this summer and I shot an all-time best 74! The swing he advocates feels like "it just happens" with very little effort on your part.  I'm still trying to ditch 10 years of bad habits and they creep in if I don't see him for a lesson every couple of weeks (amazing how that happens), but I'm really looking forward to next summer knowing that after seeing him a couple of times I'll be back to pro form again.  Watch his videos, and if you are in the Toronto area, take a lesson with him, it's well worth the 60 bucks!

#22 1PlaneHitter

1PlaneHitter

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62673
  • Joined: 08/08/2008
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

"Having taken several lessons with Shawn this summer I too can attest that he hits the ball a MILE. The range at the Richmond Hill Golf Centre maxes out at 230 or so I think, and when he hit my driver (with its wet noodle shaft) the ball nearly flew over the net at the back of the range!

I found Shawn's lessons online this summer and immediately scheduled some lessons with him as I'm in Toronto. His stuff made a huge difference in my swing - I played some of the best golf of my life this summer and I shot an all-time best 74! The swing he advocates feels like "it just happens" with very little effort on your part. I'm still trying to ditch 10 years of bad habits and they creep in if I don't see him for a lesson every couple of weeks (amazing how that happens), but I'm really looking forward to next summer knowing that after seeing him a couple of times I'll be back to pro form again. Watch his videos, and if you are in the Toronto area, take a lesson with him, it's well worth the 60 bucks!"

I would love to get a personal lesson with him. He made a believer out of me for sure and $60 is a bargin for a lesson with an instructor of his caliber. I have read that in person he is not quite as personable and friendly. If I may ask, did you find this to be the case?

Edited by 1PlaneHitter, 25 November 2009 - 11:35 AM.


#23 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

Here is a great video on the proper grip.

#24 enotsyer

enotsyer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87814
  • Joined: 07/08/2009
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

View Post1PlaneHitter, on Nov 25 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

"Having taken several lessons with Shawn this summer I too can attest that he hits the ball a MILE. The range at the Richmond Hill Golf Centre maxes out at 230 or so I think, and when he hit my driver (with its wet noodle shaft) the ball nearly flew over the net at the back of the range!

I found Shawn's lessons online this summer and immediately scheduled some lessons with him as I'm in Toronto. His stuff made a huge difference in my swing - I played some of the best golf of my life this summer and I shot an all-time best 74! The swing he advocates feels like "it just happens" with very little effort on your part. I'm still trying to ditch 10 years of bad habits and they creep in if I don't see him for a lesson every couple of weeks (amazing how that happens), but I'm really looking forward to next summer knowing that after seeing him a couple of times I'll be back to pro form again. Watch his videos, and if you are in the Toronto area, take a lesson with him, it's well worth the 60 bucks!"

I would love to get a personal lesson with him. He made a believer out of me for sure and $60 is a bargin for a lesson with an instructor of his caliber. I have read that in person he is not quite as personable and friendly. If I may ask, did you find this to be the case?

I don't know where you read that but don't believe it, the guy is EXACTLY like he is in his videos.  Very personable, friendly and makes it seem like he really enjoys giving lessons.

#25 razorbird

razorbird

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77989
  • Joined: 03/21/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

Wheter or not you like his technique, it's very clear that Clement is an EXCELLENT COMMUNICATOR! With or without his type move, I wouldn't hesitate to guess that he probably doesn't push it on anybody. A guy that bright is bound to know many paths to success...


#26 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1431

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

View Postjuansky, on Nov 25 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

Here is a great video on the proper grip.

Fantastic.  Especially the part about the left hand being able to squeeze the "tar" out of the club.  

Too many
overdo the grip in the fingers and the strong left hand.  To few have the right palm facing the target and incorrectly
have the right palm facing up.

Too many swings "crafted" and accommodating a bad grip.  A good grip will keep your right arm above your left and prevent
you from fanning the club open.  It will actually guide your swing into the right positions into impact.

I think you have a better chance of hitting it straight with a great grip and a bad swing than visa versa.

#27 1PlaneHitter

1PlaneHitter

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62673
  • Joined: 08/08/2008
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

View Postenotsyer, on Nov 25 2009, 12:28 PM, said:

View Post1PlaneHitter, on Nov 25 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

"Having taken several lessons with Shawn this summer I too can attest that he hits the ball a MILE. The range at the Richmond Hill Golf Centre maxes out at 230 or so I think, and when he hit my driver (with its wet noodle shaft) the ball nearly flew over the net at the back of the range!

I found Shawn's lessons online this summer and immediately scheduled some lessons with him as I'm in Toronto. His stuff made a huge difference in my swing - I played some of the best golf of my life this summer and I shot an all-time best 74! The swing he advocates feels like "it just happens" with very little effort on your part. I'm still trying to ditch 10 years of bad habits and they creep in if I don't see him for a lesson every couple of weeks (amazing how that happens), but I'm really looking forward to next summer knowing that after seeing him a couple of times I'll be back to pro form again. Watch his videos, and if you are in the Toronto area, take a lesson with him, it's well worth the 60 bucks!"

I would love to get a personal lesson with him. He made a believer out of me for sure and $60 is a bargin for a lesson with an instructor of his caliber. I have read that in person he is not quite as personable and friendly. If I may ask, did you find this to be the case?

I don't know where you read that but don't believe it, the guy is EXACTLY like he is in his videos.  Very personable, friendly and makes it seem like he really enjoys giving lessons.

I read that on either this forum or another one. Someone posted that they had taken lessons with him and he was a little more "business-like" and basically a clock watcher. I am glad to hear that you refute this. I found it somewhat hard to believe that he would be that way (especially after seeing his videos) but you never know.
Thanks

#28 hangubber

hangubber

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65321
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Definitely not a "clock watcher".  Actually quite generous with his time as lessons frequently went overtime.

#29 juansky

juansky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
  • Joined: 06/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

If you folks are having trouble chipping, check these flicks out.







#30 avrag

avrag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
  • Joined: 06/19/2007
  • Location:Right in the Heart of Europe
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:39 AM

I learned a lot from Shawn Clement's youtube videos.
Two elements were most useful:
1) The way he teaches the hip turn on the backswing. It looks weird in his videos, because I am sure to he overdoes it a little to show what he means. But this is really turning "into" the right side. Combine that with his thought of wiping a mirror with your buttocks (I think this is in the "Hogan power drill" video) and you get a hip turn in the backswing which naturally forces you to get your weight onto the front foot and start the downswing from the bottom up. There is simply no other option. BTW, there is a small weight shift to the right in the backswing, although the right leg straightens, but then you just fall into your left side to start the downswing.
2) The thought of "tossing" the hands and club back on the backswing helps to really stop the backswing with the shoulder turn "wait" for a moment (although there really is no pause) and then let the downswing happen after the start from the bottom I described above.
Both these thoughts really helped me to hit my irons a lot better than I ever did before.

More out of gratitude than anything else, I bought his DVD box. The stuff about the full swing was nothing new, although it is good to have it in one place and organized. But the parts about trouble shots and the short game are excellent, as you can see in the clips that Juansky posted above.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors