Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

proper swing weight for shorter driver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msdamailman

msdamailman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96995
  • Ebay ID:msdamailman585
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:26 AM

driver swing weight is now at d2 in a 45.5 inch shaft. what would the ideal swing weight be if i have it cut down 3/4 of an inch shorter to 44.75 inches. do i need to get it back to d2 even though its a shorter shaft and only weighs 50g?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 heisagoalie

heisagoalie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55597
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

what driver? you can add lead tape, or have a clubmaker add cotton or hotmelt to the head. If its the Cobra that is in your signature, maybe you can send it into cobra to do the work.

#3 backninenj

backninenj

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97974
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

View Postmsdamailman, on Nov 13 2009, 05:26 AM, said:

driver swing weight is now at d2 in a 45.5 inch shaft. what would the ideal swing weight be if i have it cut down 3/4 of an inch shorter to 44.75 inches. do i need to get it back to d2 even though its a shorter shaft and only weighs 50g?

There is no ideal swing weight.  You do not have to bring the swing weight back to d2.  The shaft flex measures slightly stiffer when you cut it from the butt end. The shaft measures more flexible when you add weight to the head.  I would suggest cutting the club down and adding lead tape yourself.  Then you can figure out how you like the feel and performance of the club yourself.  After that you can make the weight change more permanant or you can leave the lead tape there.

#4 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 738

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

Swing weight is personal.  If there was a standard it might be D2 but I suggest caution.  If you have another driver that you don't care about cut it and weight it using lead tape.  Once you determine it works and what SW you like, then apply it to your #1 driver.
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x
SC California Monterey

#5 jacksonlui

jacksonlui

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9823
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Pepperturbo is correct.
Swingweight is really a rule of thumb and is very personal.
You can grip down and see how that works, then add some tape while gripping down to see how that works.
You may find that the swingweight is too light and you can't feel the head in your swing.
You may find that you need to add a little weight to the head to help with your tempo.

Many times frequency data is provided with D2, 45 inches, and 1.5 inch BBGM in mind.
If you cut it down and add weight back to the head to D2, you will soften the flex of the shaft a little. It may be a good thing.
If you add 2g to the head it will change 1cpm. I think 10cpm is considered a full flex.

Again it's all personal, do what works best for you.  Experimenting is the fun part.
If you find the current setup launches too high and too high spinning, you might want to take a little from the tip instead.
I would consult a good clubmaker, there are so many good ones on this board.  
Awalkspoiled, Goodsie, Joe Kwok, thewitt, etc...  these guys are invaluable and so great to talk to.
Caution: if you cut from the tip, you can't add it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors