Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Throwing a frisbee?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alefty

Alefty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69245
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

Anyone heard of an analogy to throwing a frisbee with your leading hand in the golf swing? I heard Shawn Clement mention it briefly but can't find a video where he discusses it

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 phill

phill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65001

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

I talked to a golfer a few years ago who was extremely long, he competed in national long drive contests and I think did very well, he was not a big guy. He told me that part of his physical training involved throwing a frisbee. In fact he was actually injured at the time because when he threw the frisbee he exerted so much effort that he pulled some muscles in his back. I do not know the mechanics behind throwing the frisbee and the golf swing but it seems like a very similar motion, turn the shoulders on the way back, and lead with the hips as you throw. Alot of his training was to work on fast twitch muscle firing.

#3 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1402

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

I hate frisbees.

But it sounds like a very good analogy.

#4 goldfinger007

goldfinger007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60872
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

View PostAlefty, on Nov 7 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

Anyone heard of an analogy to throwing a frisbee with your leading hand in the golf swing? I heard Shawn Clement mention it briefly but can't find a video where he discusses it

Actually, if you took two frisbees and threw both forward (in the same direction) from a golfer's stance, that can replicate an excellent release.  Try it.  The trick is to get them to follow one another closely.

#5 zoso

zoso

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89500

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Frisbee is a great way to practice your swing: tempo, the snap, full turn etc. A couple of bad habits that could translate could leave a golfer handsy and not have the straightest lead arm.

#6 cnelson

cnelson

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35965

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

I would think that the best part would be a for a flat left wrist at impact. If you think about it; You should throw a frisbiee with your arm/core muscles, but breaking the wrist. Same concept applies in the golf swing.

I could be off, but just a thought.

#7 Texsport

Texsport

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

Wouldn't that imitate the left hand,wrist, arm action in a turn-down release?

Texsport

#8 phillypete

phillypete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2261
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

As a former ultimate enthusiast I can tell you a disc toss motion will hurt your golf swing. Way too snappy with the wrist. Although the shoulder turn does translate

Besides you would have to play one sport oposite handed for the analogy to be exact. Which supports my theory that everyone, including me, that plays golf dominant hand away from the target is playing backwards.

#9 Alefty

Alefty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

Interesting comment Pete, Clement brought it up for a righty playing left handed or vice versa. I'm a lefty playing right handed.

#10 phillypete

phillypete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2261
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

View PostAlefty, on Nov 10 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

Interesting comment Pete, Clement brought it up for a righty playing left handed or vice versa. I'm a lefty playing right handed.

So was hogan.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Bobcat 2

Bobcat 2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57726
  • Ebay ID:Friskymuffin

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Anything I do to bring more body turn through in the swing which is good, but I hurt if I don't go easy at first. An armsy swing uses very little body and turn so improvement can be sore at first. Throwing a frisbee sounds like a good idea, but to me its easier just to swing a weed wacker in the yard to eliminate those weeds.

#12 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39690
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

The analogy is not about turn or tempo, as I understand it, but about what is called "snapping the kinetic chain." If you do an advanced search you can get a very involved and informed discussion of how some believe you generate greater clubhead speed by posting up on the front leg and "snapping" the clubhead through impact, like a frisbee, or the end of a bull whip.

#13 TKing

TKing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47044
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

It's not the same snap at all.  The Frisbee "swing" involves a reverse snap of the wrist to put spin on the disc at the instant of realease.  There is no lag as in swinging a golf club. The snap is all in the wrist at release.  With a golf club, the snap is all at the release of lag at the ball and the swing continues through.  There is little follow through that matters in a Frisbee throw.  And yes, I've spent many hours throwing Frisbees all sorts of ways including for distance.

Yes, both have a snap, but there is little analogy.

#14 63Brummie

63Brummie

63Brummie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39171
  • Ebay ID:63brummie

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

Nick Faldo mentions the "skimming of a stone" as the best way to teach the release postion and motion.
It really works too.
I often warm up before a range session by throwing a few down the fairway it helps me hi the ball a lot straighter.

#15 mental

mental

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50522

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

View Postphillypete, on Nov 9 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

As a former ultimate enthusiast I can tell you a disc toss motion will hurt your golf swing. Way too snappy with the wrist. Although the shoulder turn does translate

+1

I'm not an expert on either motion, but some of my worst ballstriking rounds come the day/day after I play Ultimate. I've always blamed it on the light weight of the Frisbee, so maybe discus/hammer throw analogies are better.

#16 rankoutsider

rankoutsider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39690
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

View Postmental, on Nov 11 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

View Postphillypete, on Nov 9 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

+1

I'm not an expert on either motion, but some of my worst ballstriking rounds come the day/day after I play Ultimate. I've always blamed it on the light weight of the Frisbee, so maybe discus/hammer throw analogies are better.

Discus and javelin snap the chain.  Hammer appears to rotate through the release, which is a different (and maybe better) way to swing the club.

#17 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

Nice to see there's some Ultimate lovers out there.  Competitive club player here...
(whoever gives me a staff deal)
13 graphite shafted clubs bent flat
Bobby Grace NYC Proto

#18 Borbor

Borbor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93929

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

View Post63Brummie, on Nov 11 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

Nick Faldo mentions the "skimming of a stone" as the best way to teach the release postion and motion.
It really works too.
I often warm up before a range session by throwing a few down the fairway it helps me hi the ball a lot straighter.

Clement uses that analogy as well.

If the OP would like, I'll ask him and post a detail response on Saturday after my lesson with him to clarify the frisbee analogy.

#19 sajohnson

sajohnson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8432
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Hmm. Just got thinking about one way I've thrown a frisbee that generates some serious speed that might be relevant here. I'm sure frisbee guys are familiar with this, but basically you take your dominant hand (my right) and throw a "forehand" instead of the usual frisbee "backhand". You get your thumb and thumb pad under the lip of the frisbee and fingers folded over the top. Then you throw it kind of like you're skipping a stone: sidearmed with your right elbow on your side but the palm facing up. Man, this thing zips compared to throwing it the other way. I've had some serious stings in my hand catching throws like that. Farther and faster than the other way and there's definitely a tight pivot feeling in there. Anyway, just thought of it, but it kinda resembles Hogan's sidearmed throw image in five lessons. Innnnnnteresting.

Edited by sajohnson, 11 November 2009 - 06:11 PM.

#20 Swingtheclub

Swingtheclub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30394
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

If by lead hand they mean the left hand for a right handed player. What comes to my brain is the supination of the left wrist in the release.

Not a bad anaology for that

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Alefty

Alefty

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:19 AM

I already emailed Clement but if you have time sure ask him. From his response I think he meant it more of the back handed equivalent of skipping a stone. Ask him about eye dominance thought if you get the chance. I haven't heard his take on it. My main eye is my right eye but I'm left handed.

#22 TKing

TKing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47044
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

View Postsajohnson, on Nov 11 2009, 06:06 PM, said:

Hmm. Just got thinking about one way I've thrown a frisbee that generates some serious speed that might be relevant here. I'm sure frisbee guys are familiar with this, but basically you take your dominant hand (my right) and throw a "forehand" instead of the usual frisbee "backhand". You get your thumb and thumb pad under the lip of the frisbee and fingers folded over the top. Then you throw it kind of like you're skipping a stone: sidearmed with your right elbow on your side but the palm facing up. Man, this thing zips compared to throwing it the other way. I've had some serious stings in my hand catching throws like that. Farther and faster than the other way and there's definitely a tight pivot feeling in there. Anyway, just thought of it, but it kinda resembles Hogan's sidearmed throw image in five lessons. Innnnnnteresting.

In old Frisbee speak, that's called a "Thumber".  An even more powerful throw is a similar one but instead of having your thumb inside the lip, you use your index finger.  Takes a little longer to master than the thumber but since you can get more range of motion in the flip, it is a more powerful throw.

One thing that I do that I think would be more beneficial to the golf swing is to throw the shot.  Since high school I have kept  8, 12, and 16 pound shots and thrown them as part of my fitness maintenence program with both arms just out in the yard.  Warm up with the 8 and work up.  Throw one way with the right and back with the left-never had any rotator cuff problems and can throw the hell out of a rock or baseball. You use everything from the ground up and even though it's not in the same direction as the golf swing, I believe it's very beneficial to timing and balance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors