Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hogan Edge Forged - Am I nuts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Scottk

Scottk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69932
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

I am a club ho.

With that out of the way, I was in Golf Galaxy yesterday and they had these classic clubs (Hogan Edge Forged) - the originals from 1988.  I thought it would be fun to see if I could hit them.  I play the TM R7 (non-tp).  

I was expecting them to be difficult to hit.  I proceeded to hit 6 iron after 6 iron PERFECTLY.  The feeling was unlike anything I have felt.  I then grabbed the 8 and started hitting through the set.  Unfortunately, they were asking $190 which seemed high.

I now have a chance to get a set 2,4,6,7,8,9 (missing 5 and wedge) for under $30.  Notwithstanding the great price, are these the kind of clubs that could actually be played regularly or is today's technology so much better that I will be at a disadvantage.  I am an 11 handicap and very decent iron striker.  I would appreciate any advice from those who have played these clubs.  Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

It's $30!!!   Find out!!

#3 Scottk

Scottk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

It's not the money.  It my wife when I get home with another set of irons (and really old irons that could end up in the basement, which is where I may end up sleeping).  However, it's worth the wrath if these are decent.

I do agree with you, for $30 why not?

#4 3eagles18

3eagles18

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40317
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

Do it like women do with shoes. Buy them; hide them. In a couple of weeks, take them out and tell her that you've had them for months. My preferred method is to tell my wife that I traded some junk that I found in the closet.

#5 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

3eagles18, on Oct 22 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

Do it like women do with shoes. Buy them; hide them. In a couple of weeks, take them out and tell her that you've had them for months. My preferred method is to tell my wife that I traded some junk that I found in the closet.
I laughed out loud at this. My dad, the worlds first club ho' built a new garage. He had the contractor build an 1/2 attic over the backend of the building. He knew my stepmother hated heights and spiders, both fears she would have to deal with to get up there. When he died, we found at least 10 sets of irons up there.

#6 drstroud

drstroud

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6994
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Very simple yet veryt effective design.  Too simple for the taste and marketing hype of todays manufacturers.  Get them then go to ironfinder.com to complete the set.
Adams Fast 12 LS Aldila DVS
Callaway Steelhead 3 ProLite
Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro Apex 4
MacGregor MT Don White 50, 54, 58
PING Anser BeNi

#7 TimeToFly

TimeToFly

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88899
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

are you talking about the Edge GCD's or just the regular Edge? if so, i bought a set of those (GCD's) brand new when they first came out and i loved them. wish i never sold them. id love to find a set in MINT condition. id have no problem putting them back in my bag

Posted Image

Edited by TimeToFly, 22 October 2009 - 05:02 PM.

#8 18th Legion

18th Legion

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29486
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Just and FYI, Ben Hogan Golf began using the Hogan Apex Edge name in 1989.  Apex Redline came out in 1988.  The first round of Edge Irons went from 1989 to 1993.  You can purchase a 5I Reg in Fair shape for 9.95, Good shape in Stiff for 19.95, and the E (Equalizer) which was their name for a PW in Fair shape for 49.95 at www.ironfinders.com.

Good Luck.

(Those GCD Tours came out from 1996 -1997)

Edited by 18th Legion, 22 October 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#9 Scottk

Scottk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

I bought them.  I met the seller in the parking lot of a local store and gave him $30 and now am the proud owner of the original 1988 Hogan Edge Forged irons (missing the 5 and wedge).  I was shocked at how nice they looked and how little play they appear to have. The grooves look excellent.  Now we will see if they are nice as they felt indoors at golf galaxy.  

If I don't like them I will eat the $30.  Thanks for all the input and the very funny stories.  By the way, I told my wife I was going grocery shopping so I came back with eggs, milks and sticks.

#10 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 718

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

Scottk, on Oct 22 2009, 02:06 PM, said:

....are these the kind of clubs that could actually be played regularly or is today's technology so much better that I will be at a disadvantage.

Today's technology not so different. The marketeers want you to believe there is, how else to get people to buy new stuff all the time.

The only thing with an old set like those, the wedge grooves would likely be worn out but since your set doesn't have the wedge, you can go with a Vokey or something you like.

When I bought a new set of irons in 1990, it was a toss up between the Hogan Edge and the Ram Laser FX, a very similar design that I ended up choosing and using for 16 years.

Enjoy!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 three-jack

three-jack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91376
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Nice pick-up.  I think that most of the technology improvements have been in the game improvement and super GI categories.  Players irons have changed very little.  They just keep remaking older designs with new logos and fancy graphics.

#12 squeeze

squeeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96701
  • Ebay ID:squeeze_my_kiwi

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

As far as I know:

"Edge" started in 1989. they have the "Hogan"-only logo. (Edge GS, 1991, Edge GCD 1995)

"Apex Edge" started in 2001. They have the "Ben Hogan" script Signature logo.

#13 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

The original Hogan Edge was a great set of irons.  I believe they were the first ever forged cavity back.

#14 com98dore

com98dore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97877
  • Ebay ID:com98dore

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

I think you will enjoy them and for $30 bucks you have nothing to lose. You can find the 5 and wedge on ebay or other websites that specialize in lost single clubs.

I played the Edge GS model in high school and part of college. Very sweet clubs. I still have them and I might have them re-chromed someday. There is nothing like the feeling of Hogan forged iron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors