Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What putter is Ben Crenshaw using...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CamiloVillegasFan14

CamiloVillegasFan14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89387
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

in this picture?

Attached Images

• rss_img_IMG_2251_resize.jpg
  • rss_img_IMG_2251_resize.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Curious about this as well..  I think he still uses a real Wilson 8802... I think he has a couple of different ones and he swaps them out depending on the course.  Anyone know the real answer?

#3 stevemac

stevemac

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2945
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

Probably an old Cleveland Designed by Crenshaw or Wilson putter.

#4 El Pato

El Pato

Wannabe Pro

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73204
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Some sort of 8802...
SLDR 10.5* UST VTS Silver 7x
RBZ Stage 2 14.5* BB 83X
RBZ Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid Fubuki AX
09 TP 2iron/2011 TP MC 5-PW DG X100
588 forged 54*, SM5 58.11* K
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

#5 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1244

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Ben is using a putter that he designed himself.  Not sure of the name if any name at all for this model?

#6 Joe Duffer

Joe Duffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28570
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

That's "Little Ben"... the same Wilson 8802 he's had for 45 years.

#7 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

Good question. I'd also be interested to hear the definitive answer.

I know, from looking at bag shots and from having a peek in his bag a couple of times, that he's got several similar putters in his stash - including at least two 8802s and a Cleveland Designed By model blade.

#8 Joe Duffer

Joe Duffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28570
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

View Postmat562, on Oct 4 2009, 02:05 PM, said:

Good question. I'd also be interested to hear the definitive answer.

I know, from looking at bag shots and from having a peek in his bag a couple of times, that he's got several similar putters in his stash - including at least two 8802s and a Cleveland Designed By model blade.

I just provided it...

#9 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

What is it about that particular putter, that's discernable from the picture above, that tells you it's specifically Little Ben? As I say, I've seen at least two 8802s in his bag at various times, in various states of wear, plus a similar model of Cleveland putter. I can't tell the difference between them all without a close-up picture. Whilst I know full well (along, I suspect, with most other golf fans) that Crenshaw has an old 8802 nicknamed Little Ben in his arsenal, I'm not in a position to positively identify that putter against other, similar putters that Crenshaw may be using at any time.

I look forward to being further educated.

#10 andrade

andrade

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56294
  • Ebay ID:softail-duce
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

That is his original 8802 that has seen so many battles that the chrome has virtually peeled off all of the head and hosel.  He has re-shafted it many times as well as re-gripped it.  I watched him using a file shaving down a new grip on it many years ago.  The chrome loss is so apparent that it looks almost black on the hosel.  he does have several back-ups but the one in the picture is his go-to original. :clapping:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 biscuity

biscuity

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65100

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

This looks more like a standard 8802. The photos from the OP almost look like that putter has a ferrule.

Posted Image

Edited by biscuity, 04 October 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#12 ws6

ws6

Pacific Dunes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15560
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Carpo is correct, that is Little Ben.

Also, that isn't a ferrule, it is wear/burn from having it reshafted.  He broke it in the 1987 Ryder Cup and went thru several shafts before he found one he liked.  He even had a jeweler weld the broken shaft together, but he didn't like the feel.

#13 greenpiece

greenpiece

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8987

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

The putter in the photo in the first post is definitely, without a doubt, the 8802 known as "Little Ben." As mentioned in a previous post, he broke the shaft during the 1987 Ryder Cup at Muirfield Village when he hit a buckeye on the ground with the grip of the putter while holding it by the head. The shaft broke just above the hosel. It was a freak accident. He finished the match putting with an iron.

The black area just above the putter head is definitely a black hosel. It covers and reinforces the area where the shaft broke originally in 1987. He tried numerous other headspeed shafts as replacements, but none of them felt as good as his original shaft. So as mentioned earlier, a jeweler welded the shaft back together, then the hosel was used over that area as protection.

The other putter in post #11 is his Cleveland Designed by Crenshaw. This is the exact putter he used to win the 1995 Masters. It now has a tan leather grip. He also used this Cleveland putter in a Shell's Wonderful World of Golf match against Tom Kite at the Champions Club in Houston. He putted lights out that day with it, even better than usual for him.

He switches between these two putters on the Champions tour.

I learned this information from reading one of his books and from replies to my questions on his website over the years. I'm a big Crenshaw fan.

#14 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Great info.

If I remember correctly, as well as being given a bit of a scutching at Muirfield Village, Little Ben has supposedly been stolen and recovered on a couple of occasions too. The fact it's still going strong and is still in one piece (albeit barely, from the looks of it) is remarkable given all of its travails.

I can remember seing that Cleveland Designed By model from fairly close quarters at an Open Championship in the mid 90s. That year he'd got a couple of 8802s also lurking in the bag, but seemed to behitting most, if not all, his putts with the Cleveland. It's a few years back, admittedly, but the 8802s seemed to be in better order than the one in the above pictures - and certainly didn't have the jury rigged hosel.

In this thread I posted a year or two back link there's a reasonable shot of Crenshaw's bag at that '95 Masters. The putters aren't too clear but there appears to be the winning Cleveland and an 8802 in there - which may or may not be Little Ben. It certainly looks a bit careworn, with a bit less chrome than it once had, but the hosel's not visible, sadly.

Edited by mat562, 05 October 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#15 dodger

dodger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7038
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

It is a ferrule, David Mills built one similar for me a few years ago. Gives the putter a great traditional look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors