Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A Flex Vs L Flex

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixcMan

MatrixcMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1138
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

Any of you ladies play a A flex over an L flex?

What's been the results are what are your swing specifics?

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Debit

Debit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2289
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Last year I changed from regular flex steel shafts to A flex graphite. Graphite has improved soooo much that concerns about control are irrelevant. With new shafts, ball flight is slightly higher and gained a bit of distance. All of the better women golfers with whom I play are using senior flex, a few are still using regular flex. These women are considered "longer" hitters, averaging over 200 off the tee. Some aren't as strong with their irons as I am -- longest iron in my bag is 5I, which I use for 155 yds. Swing speed with driver is about 85 MPH. This is not normal for most of the women with whom I play in a women's league however. My drives are easily 50 yds longer. An L flex is designed for players with swing speed at 70 or below. Can't use them as they are much too whippy and loose significant distance and way too much control.

#3 Aimee

Aimee

Advanced

• Lady Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3411
  • Ebay ID:ak1504
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'm with Debit, I'm not as long of a hitter as she is, but with my swing speed (high 70's-80 IIRC) the "L" flex is too whippy. I have men's "senior" flex which is called "A" flex for some brands. I usually hit driver 180.
Now, the wildcard is the tempo of the swing. I play with a woman who hits around 200 but still uses "L" flex shafts because of her swing tempo. That's why it is so important to have someone who is knowledgeable about club fitting to see you swing and not just assume you need one type of shaft or another.
It's not how...it's how many

#4 youngwaldo

youngwaldo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8465
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Aimee, on Sep 27 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

I'm with Debit, I'm not as long of a hitter as she is, but with my swing speed (high 70's-80 IIRC) the "L" flex is too whippy. I have men's "senior" flex which is called "A" flex for some brands. I usually hit driver 180.
Now, the wildcard is the tempo of the swing. I play with a woman who hits around 200 but still uses "L" flex shafts because of her swing tempo. That's why it is so important to have someone who is knowledgeable about club fitting to see you swing and not just assume you need one type of shaft or another.

Totally agreee.  Get fitted.  Remember gals if you are playing A flex and getting longer distance it may be because standard senior shaft at times are as long as regular men's clubs.  Get fitted.  It does not cost extra if you are buying clubs.

Wk
SLDR TP 430 VC6.2 TOUR SPEC X
SLDR TP 14.5*, 19* VC7.2 TOUR SPEC X
TM TP CB 3 Iron, MC 4-6,  MB 7-PW  DGTIX
xFT 52, 56 DGTI S400
Titleist GOLO 7 Dual Balance
TOUR PREFERRED X, PROV1x

#5 Debit

Debit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2289
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

YoungWaldo

Totally agreee.  Get fitted.  Remember gals if you are playing A flex and getting longer distance it may be because standard senior shaft at times are as long as regular men's clubs.  Get fitted.  It does not cost extra if you are buying clubs.

Wk

Yes, if you just snatch a senior flex club off the rack, they are generally a little long for most women who are still averaging around 5'5" even though the LPGA pros are more like 5'9" or 6'+. My irons were custom fit and are shorter and somewhat flatter lie than standard senior flex set. On the other hand, I'm playing with an off-the-shelf 10.5* Tour Edge Bazoka driver in an A flex. The shaft is way loooong, but has forced me to control my swing (all that good stuff about tempo, balance, grip pressure, etc.) to use it without choaking up or having it shortened. If your swing is out-of-control, don't even think about it. Your misses will give new meaning to shank and banana ball. If, however, you have some level of control and consistency, there is nothing so sweet as smacking one down the middle and out driving every other woman in my golf league.

Edited by Debit, 21 October 2009 - 11:47 PM.

#6 vjs27

vjs27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71564
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

I've been playing with a ladies set for about a year. Have a current club speed between 75-80mph. Tried my boyfriends Cleveland Hibore XLI regular shaft, and was surprised how well I hit with them. I just purchased a set bit with senior flex. Should be coming in tomorrow. I'll share with you all how they work. Currently my bag has regular diablo driver and fairway woods 3 & 5. Been able to get up to 180  with my driver, woods are still too new, just about a week. But, pleased with them. I think we sometimes have to get over the fact that it's a mens club, and just see it as a club. :partytime2:

#7 three-jack

three-jack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91376
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

Totally agreee. Get fitted. Remember gals if you are playing A flex and getting longer distance it may be because standard senior shaft at times are as long as regular men's clubs. Get fitted. It does not cost extra if you are buying clubs.

Exactly.  My wife was fitted into a men's senior flex driver.  The guy said that the flex was almost identical to ladies flex, but the added length would benefit her because she is tall for a woman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors