Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

FIRST LOOK!! 2010 Callaway WARBIRD irons

70 replies to this topic

#31 macglock

macglock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15355
  • Ebay ID:macglocklen
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

These have been out for months in Canada.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 samashley

samashley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64093
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

View Postmacglock, on Sep 20 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

These have been out for months in Canada.
+1
They're basically an x-18 with a thicker (big bertha-ish) topline, and no bore-thru. Definitely nothing new. I think they were likely released as a filler to make up for their 2 year cycle vs. Taylor Made's 1 year (or less) cycle, competing with old Taylor Made stock.

#33 robbie91

robbie91

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42606
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

View Postrehberg, on Sep 20 2009, 03:26 PM, said:

You guys kill me. If it isn't forged, customizable, etc then a co. is stupid for making them? Give me a break. They are a low end set of irons for people who want a nice set for a cheaper price. Adams, Taylor Made, NIKE, and other co. do this all the time. No biggie. WHY comment if you are gonna dog them. Guys calling them garbage with their set such as: Tour Burner irons, J36 forged combo, Nike VR TW....They are not for you of course. Everyone of these co. have low end irons for a cheap cost. Give it a rest

View Postrehberg, on Sep 20 2009, 03:47 PM, said:

How exaclty are they ugly?? They are prenty basic. What,... they need to have TW on them, or say "Tour" WarBird, or maybe "Pro Gold" Warbid. They are pretty basic cavity backs to me. Not glamourous, but not ugly.

no they dont need to have tour exc on them and adams, taylor made, and nike have not made an iron this bad. yes some of them may  be ugly but for example the new adams a4os irons lower the center of gravity so much even my grandfather hits them 20 yards futher. the taylormade burner os were ugly but also newage and had modern tech. these are simply a copy of an older model -- which is ripping people off. they could buy an older set of callaways or even a knock off set and prob do just as well.

#34 HISPL

HISPL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74563
  • Ebay ID:hisplgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

I've seen a couple of sets of these in my local club's pro shop.

Cheap looking, obviously built to a price, RRP was the lowest I have ever seen for a new model set of Callaway irons.

Having said that, they looked pretty good for a set of irons for the average golfer or someone just starting out.

That head shape just plain works for people that need forgiveness, so for the price that they are on offer for they are a bargain!

#35 hoosiervolunteer

hoosiervolunteer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7380
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

I absolutely love it how any kind of iron that is not a forged butter knife gets completely flamed around here.  This iron serves a purpose.  It also killed me how everybody flames every Odyssey MOI putter that has come out since the 2-ball, every Taylormade Spider, every Ping Crazee, etc.  These companies probably laugh at the Golfwrx membership as they cash check after check.  Amazing

#36 allyjs

allyjs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39433

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

Susan Boyle is better looking than these irons!.

#37 RangerEsq.

RangerEsq.

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67338

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

View Postgolfsll, on Sep 19 2009, 12:07 PM, said:

looks as though Callaway is going WARBIRD and using the X series head style.

There is no way that this is for the coming model - the notch weights look like the last design.

#38 plark

plark

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91447
  • Ebay ID:plizark
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:18 AM

Nasty.. and not in a good way..
Taylormade R1 Driver
Taylormade SuperFast 2.0 Fairway 15*
Taylormade Tour RBZ Hybrid 20*
Taylormade Rocketbladez 4-PW
Scotty Cameron SS Fastback No.1
Taylormade AVT 52*/56*/60*
WITB Link

#39 Eagle006

Eagle006

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Ebay ID:eagle006
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

They look dreadful. Callaway seems hell bent on trying to produce the cheapest looking irons imaginable. It's not as if the Diablo's look much better.

#40 hello18

hello18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3861

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:58 AM

Does any buddy read the post before you post your lame a$$ comments. These have been out for months in Canada. Yes there a re-badge club. I think that it is great for the person that is just starting to golf and does not need the $1000 dollar set can get a great club that will not break down in 2 rounds. It is no different then adams making there boxed set for $900. Callaway is hitting a new market. There very smart doing it. Just because there not forged and are ugly as hell does mean you have to flame it. Look at Pings g15 hybrid. That thing is ugly as can be but man does it perform. Enough with the puking comments i am sure if we all looked at your faces we would all puke too.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 El Pato

El Pato

Wannabe Pro

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73204
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

View Postallyjs, on Sep 20 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

Susan Boyle is better looking than these irons!.
+1
SLDR 10.5* UST VTS Silver 7x
RBZ Stage 2 14.5* BB 83X
RBZ Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid Fubuki AX
09 TP 2iron/2011 TP MC 5-PW DG X100
588 forged 54*, SM5 58.11* K
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

#42 nadroj23

nadroj23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41201

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

These have already been for sale for this whole season.  Im not sure whats going on with Callaway.  But from what I understand, Callaway first produced these for Golftown in Canada, and only for them.  We were the only store to carry them across Canada.  Also from what I understand this is a basic X-18 head with the Warbird logo on the inside and no bore through head.  

I could be mistaken tho.....This wouldnt be the first time a company has produced a product specific to Golftown.

And for price point, when we first got them in they were special buy for $468.88.  So I hope they arent releasing these at full pop......

#43 fatgolfer

fatgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70218
  • Ebay ID:iiipower

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

I wish they would clear out some of the old callaways so I can get a set cheap.

They have the following game improvement irons on or about to be on the market
x18r
x20
x22
big bertha
warbirds
diablo

#44 RangerEsq.

RangerEsq.

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67338

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

View Posthello18, on Sep 21 2009, 05:58 AM, said:

Does any buddy read the post before you post your lame a$$ comments. These have been out for months in Canada. Yes there a re-badge club. I think that it is great for the person that is just starting to golf and does not need the $1000 dollar set can get a great club that will not break down in 2 rounds. It is no different then adams making there boxed set for $900. Callaway is hitting a new market. There very smart doing it. Just because there not forged and are ugly as hell does mean you have to flame it. Look at Pings g15 hybrid. That thing is ugly as can be but man does it perform. Enough with the puking comments i am sure if we all looked at your faces we would all puke too.

Yeah go ahead and continue to drive your Pinto, OK?

#45 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

Phil recently bagged these to start off the season next year.
And Tigers has Miura making up a set with his specs as we speak.

Golly. My 4 yr. old son could have designed them better than that.

Edited by TheBoomer , 21 September 2009 - 12:52 PM.

Ping G30 Tour AD BB6s
TaylorMade SLDR Kali
Ping G20 5 Wood
Miura CB1957 SteelFiber i95s
Miura 51/55/59 C Taper S+
Scotty Cameron Newport II Circle T
WITB Link

#46 aussiehack

aussiehack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6666
  • Ebay ID:asw2770
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

View Postgolfsll, on Sep 19 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

looks as though Callaway is going WARBIRD and using the X series head style.

Has been on sale in Australia for nearly all of this year. Price is about half the price of a set of X22 irons.  Sold in retail golf shops not in Pro shops.

#47 LongBaller41

LongBaller41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55411

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

These irons are specifically made for the Big Box Sports and Golf Retailers.  Dicks in the US and Golf Town in Canada.  They are a more price point iron for the golf who can't afford the top end stuff, but still wants to play a brand name club.  As a few other members have posted, they have been available in Canada for the past few months.  There is also a new ball for these retailers called the HX One.  It's a mid range 3 piece ball.

#48 golfstud

golfstud

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78872
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Oh man, I just vomited on my laptop.

#49 Brutus3

Brutus3

My car will not run without golf clubs...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101510
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

Horrible.  Callaway has seriously lost it's appeal IMO.  The majority of their clubs look like toys.

Edited by Brutus3, 20 January 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#50 CNCSQUARED

CNCSQUARED

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4872
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:53 PM

Looks like they made their own knock-off.  They say, when you cant beat them join them...  :good:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 petter7

petter7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8005
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Looks like Golf Town is blowin' them out the door for Cheap!!!  :lol:

Picture 2.jpg

#52 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

Look ok to me and I would far rather see someone starting out with something like this than the lame clones from Giga, Pinemeadows etc for just about the same price. I could only wish a set of Callaways only cost $300 when I was starting out.

Edited by mozgolf, 21 January 2010 - 02:47 AM.

#53 zed

zed

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23425
  • Ebay ID:zed4003373
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hideola

#54 dbren1

dbren1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3147

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

View Posthello18, on 21 September 2009 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'm in Canada and if I was advising a beginner on a good set of clubs on a budget I'd tell them to spend the extra $200 on a new set of A7s from Adams than these. The Adams look better and have two great hybrids included rather than long irons.

#55 TheSwingingChin

TheSwingingChin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101877

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Just looks like a re-branded X-18R, in all honesty. Especially considering that there's no bore-through hosel.

#56 mikenguyen

mikenguyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103152

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Umm, I have these warbird irons....and I don't care if they look ugly (yes I agree that they are ugly). Before this, I had never heard of Callaway warbird irons (there is very little info on Warbirds, even the Callaway website)

Went to re-shaft my x20 irons at the local golf shop - regular Graphite to Dynamic Gold s300 - due to my swing speed 85-90 mph (was quite inconsistent with regular graphite shafts). Local golf shop sized my swing but was unable to re-shaft as the x20s require Callaway to reshaft to DG SS300. As there was no way to customise to DG s300, the lateral-thinking LGS guy proposed I swap my year old x-20s for a brand new warbird iron set (4-SW) with uniflex shaft for the same cost of re-shafting ($300). I was sceptical at first because I liked my x-20s and had never heard of Warbird, but could not resist trying the Warbirds because it was such a great deal. Hit about 50 balls with a 6 iron and computer launch monitor at the shop with the new warbirds. Nailed every shot dead centre on the club with 0-4 m dispersion. Also, my swing speed was consistently 95 mph. The club head felt almost identical to my x-20s - very forgiving, very straight. The warbirds, even with the uniflex shaft, felt lighter and so much more consistent (unlike my x20s with regular 75g graphite which I was hitting 75% sweet - shaft way too whippy).  

I have to admit, I was set on DG S300 shafts but Im very happy with the uniflex (having read a lot about uniflex, I reckon uniflex is highly under-rated). I now hope to take my golf to the next level.

Again, I agree that the warbirds look ugly (wouldn't go as far as 'K-mart specials'). Its all about the bling with clubs, but who gives a toss when you can shave your score by 6 shots.

Will try to give an update on the performance in the near future.

#57 cyberious

cyberious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27405

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Here's the thing. The golf industry is about to drive itself out of business. With most companies coming out with multiple new sets and clubs each year rendering a 3 month old drivers resale value worthless they are doing it to themselves.

I'll give you an example. I played professional paintball for about 4 years at the highest levels. There were several companies that came out with 1000-1500 guns every 3-4 months. People had a hard time keeping up (though many tried). Eventually people got tired and stopped buying. So what happened was the industry consolidated and substantially fewer companied remain. The ones that survived were the ones that had options like the above irons. Now you can get a tournament level paintball gun and all the other equipment you need like protective gear, an air supply, and paint for the price point the market is willing to pay (in this case about 500). WORR Games who was arguably the paintball industry's Callaway began selling their markers in several sporting goods chains with equipment just like this. Eventually they were bought and rolled into another company which I don't see happening to Callaway but then again it is possible.

I don't think it will be much longer for many companies and think that this is already happening. We may already be seeing it with Nickent no longer around. I can tell you many companies that had big stands at the PGA Merchandise Show last year had much smaller ones this year. Some companies didn't even come.

#58 obsessedgolfer

obsessedgolfer

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51029
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Did cally put more then $1000 into the R&D?

#59 Ionsachop

Ionsachop

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100626
  • Ebay ID:pureplayergolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

The entire Callaway Warbird series has been known as their bottom of the line offering for years, and this Iron set just looks like an extension of that. If some broke kid wants a set of Callaway Irons but can's afford a set of X-22s ($750?), That's what these are for. Not every club can be a super legit, tour model Titleist prototype with a custom finish and the player's initials stamped into it. These will probably help get new golfers get into the game and become players.

...... and that's when they will buy a set of Pings!

Edited by Ionsachop, 09 February 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#60 jaycajun

jaycajun

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67925
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Yes, these clubs are funky and I love Callaway.  However, lets say you were fitted for irons and the fitter came up with a set of irons and shafts that you hit absolutely pure and were the best feeling/performing irons you ever experienced in your life... but looked hideous "to you".  Would you say "No Thanks", I want to hit some irons that I "like the look of" regardless of "how" I hit them.  The only reason I really ask this is that I am going to a fitter who has a lot of tour fitting experience that is in town with Flightscope and for some reason I think that he will end up with a combo that I never would have thought of using, and the answer is "Yes", I will hit what ever works best, no matter what it looks like.  I played with a guy last weekend that had a beautiful set of scratch irons/wedges, but they didn't help with his score (115 ish?)...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors