Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

swing plane trainers-explaner type but homemade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 golfmadness

golfmadness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20098
  • Ebay ID:golf_madness
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi,

After seeing one of the swing plane trainers online, I want to build one at home. I think I can easily make one as Jeff from PBS uses on youtube

Any experience with them? I want to use it as winter training aid to tune my swing plane. I reckon I need to make it so that I can adjust the angle of the tilt.

I wonder if it is one of the training aids which you use it few times and don't bother anymore.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Golfmadness

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

They have one of those (of the non home made variety) devices at my driving range. I've used it a few times but really don't see any benefit for me. I think for home use, unless you have oodles of extra space, it's a white elephant.

I personally made a "heavy club" that I know has increased my distance and improved my swing plane tremendously.

I had an old Goldwyn driver laying around. (remember those? shiny gold and aluminum head?)

Anyway, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole right in the top of the head, and filled the club head with sand. (I had a sack of pool filter sand, but I guess you could raid a neighbor kid's sandbox, you only need about a cup) Sugar maybe?

I filled the drill hole with a dab of two part epoxy.

Swinging the heavy club does two things.

1. I builds up your "golf muscles".
2. Repeats an in to out swing path. The weight of the club makes it almost impossible to come over the top.

I usually give it about 10 swings in the morning when I take the dog out back.

If you have an old driver laying around, it's a great project. My total cost was $0.

The one at my range looks an awful lot like this......

Posted Image

#3 golfmadness

golfmadness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hateto3Putt; I do hate it too:-)

Thanks for the feedback.  The training aid will pretty much stay outside in our garden so no problem there. I'll definetely take up your heavy club suggestion to improve swing speed and work out the muscles but I have a reservation to use as for swing plane trainer because I already take the club way inside and have a relatively flat swing plane. I think the heavy club can make my swing plane issues worse.

Thanks again.

#4 Buddyjay

Buddyjay

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84720
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

I would love to try the superswingtrainer but #1 I am NOT buying one and #2, nobody in my area has one.
After video tpaing myself I found that I have a very flat swing plane and am trying to fox it. I bought the "Refiner" club (justlike the Medicus only 1/2 the price).
Have only used it a few times, but it will definately let you know when you take the wrong plane.

#5 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 997

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Not a fan of them as the swing that you make while using it for most doesn't stick.  Usually when you use one the plane board is actually supplying a force as you are pushing down into and keeping the club on the board.  Problem is that when the board is taken away the downward force is still there and club will come inside and off plane.  IMO it is better to learn correct motion without a crutch and just use video as your guide to see if you are doing it correctly.

#6 downtoscratch

downtoscratch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43462
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

#7 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

I own the Explanar and use it religiously each day. It has DEFINITELY changed my golf swing in some very subtle but positive ways and I plan on sticking with it through the winter months. Helps me with extension, swing plane, muscle memory, building golf muscle based on the fact that your are using a weighted club that pivots along the track, etc.

Hey, if it's good enough for YE Yang and Butch Harmon, its good enough for me!

Edited by pjh, 16 September 2009 - 09:57 AM.

#8 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:01 PM

Explanar helps muscle memory and guides the swing plane.  As with a weighted club, medicus, or any other swing device, the Explanar is a trainer.  The power roller, for example, feels nothing like a golf club at all, since it is so heavy, and the playing fin is needed to control as well as guide the roller and swing.  But the end result is undeniable - improved muscle memory and swing plane.  Those critical of the system simply haven't used it enough or need to defend their own philosophy.  It would be hard to deny its attributes when Butch Harmon uses it, but anyone's free to critique Butch and Luther Blacklock, Explanar's inventor.  Nevertheless, between the two of them, there's more knowledge and experience than most teachers will ever acquire.  Explanar is a very good teaching tool, and I should know, because it has helped me.

#9 golfmadness

golfmadness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

View PostNspiel58, on Sep 16 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Explanar helps muscle memory and guides the swing plane.  As with a weighted club, medicus, or any other swing device, the Explanar is a trainer.  The power roller, for example, feels nothing like a golf club at all, since it is so heavy, and the playing fin is needed to control as well as guide the roller and swing.  But the end result is undeniable - improved muscle memory and swing plane.  Those critical of the system simply haven't used it enough or need to defend their own philosophy.  It would be hard to deny its attributes when Butch Harmon uses it, but anyone's free to critique Butch and Luther Blacklock, Explanar's inventor.  Nevertheless, between the two of them, there's more knowledge and experience than most teachers will ever acquire.  Explanar is a very good teaching tool, and I should know, because it has helped me.

I agree and am convienced that it'll help me to get better :-)

I'll start building one as soon as winter season starts. I'll definetly report my results.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

Golfmadness

#10 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

View Postgolfmadness, on Sep 17 2009, 07:24 AM, said:

View PostNspiel58, on Sep 16 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

Explanar helps muscle memory and guides the swing plane. As with a weighted club, medicus, or any other swing device, the Explanar is a trainer. The power roller, for example, feels nothing like a golf club at all, since it is so heavy, and the playing fin is needed to control as well as guide the roller and swing. But the end result is undeniable - improved muscle memory and swing plane. Those critical of the system simply haven't used it enough or need to defend their own philosophy. It would be hard to deny its attributes when Butch Harmon uses it, but anyone's free to critique Butch and Luther Blacklock, Explanar's inventor. Nevertheless, between the two of them, there's more knowledge and experience than most teachers will ever acquire. Explanar is a very good teaching tool, and I should know, because it has helped me.

I agree and am convienced that it'll help me to get better :-)

I'll start building one as soon as winter season starts. I'll definetly report my results.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

Golfmadness

"Start building one"?...no offense, but I would challenge you to build anything even close to what the Explanar is. Bear in mind, this is not just a bunch of PVC pipe glued together with parts from a local hardware store. You have to actually use one to appreciate the difference between the two, but it starts with the Power Roller that weighs quite a bit (I think 4-5 lbs) and the fact that it has a roller mechanism built into the club that pivots on the frame of the Explanar and is what helps build muscle memory. There is no way you can pick that up at your local Home Depot and using a regular club doesn't give you the advantage of 1) building gof muscles and 2) engraining the correct feel of the swing plane.

Also, the Explanar system is real quality, made of cold rolled steel and it's obvious the inventors put a lot of time and energy into getting this right and delivering a quality product. I will also tell you that they are top notch with respect to customer service. I had the guy who was the lead engineer for the product on the line with me a couple times a day making sure I had the setup right and he was all over me (in a good way!) to answer any and all questions.

Just watch the videos of Yang and his extension building or some of the LPGA players on this thing and you get a feel for its worth. It's also fun to work with and for those of us who will soon be going into hybernation mode for the season, I plan on spending time on the Explanar each day to come back for the 2010 season in great golf shape. It's already helped me immensely and finally got me "unstuck" from never going much lower than an 87 or so. Have not seen massive benefits with the driver as of yet, but literally stripping my irons.

The thing that sold me was Yang's stats and how dramatically they changes since he got his Explanar...check this out:

Explanar installed at Y E Yang's home in July 2008.

Scoring Average

2007 - 74.75 (191st)
2008 - 71.53 (160st)
2009 - 69.31 (4th!)
Greens in Regulation
2007 - 49.54%
2008 - 65.96%
2009 - 67.17%

In 2009 he has made the cut in 4 out of 4 events, with 3x Top 25's and now a PGA Tour WINNER! Previous best finish was T9 at the AT&T in 2008 NOTE: Despite a nail biting finish, Yang's long game clearly held up well under pressure with Greens in Regulation 72.22% at the Honda Classic.

Yang is now on a streak of 8 Consecutive Cuts made (end '08 & beginning '09, with a T18th at the PGA Tour School between)

NOTE: His putting stats have changed little (but combined with more greens hit matters more of course)
2007 1.799 Putts per GIR
2008 1.797
2009 1.782
Honda Classic 1.750

Edited by pjh, 17 September 2009 - 07:02 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 golfmadness

golfmadness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hi pjh,

It must be the title that was misleading (sorry for that) because if you look at the link I attached in my first post (youtube video of Jeff from PBS); it doesn't come close to what explanar is made of (no offense Jeff :-) or what explanar can possibly offer. I have neither time nor resources (or talent by any means) to build anything close to that.

BUT I think I can easily make one that I can use to 'guide' and train my swing plane as seen in that youtube video.

Goldmadness

#12 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

View Postgolfmadness, on Sep 17 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

Hi pjh,

It must be the title that was misleading (sorry for that) because if you look at the link I attached in my first post (youtube video of Jeff from PBS); it doesn't come close to what explanar is made of (no offense Jeff :-) or what explanar can possibly offer. I have neither time nor resources (or talent by any means) to build anything close to that.

BUT I think I can easily make one that I can use to 'guide' and train my swing plane as seen in that youtube video.

Goldmadness

K, understood. The other option is to find an instructor (don't know what you'll find in Denmark!) who uses the Explanar to at least get a feel for what the system does. Good luck with things.

#13 Kerry_Bunker

Kerry_Bunker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37523

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

View Postpjh, on Sep 17 2009, 09:12 AM, said:

View Postgolfmadness, on Sep 17 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

Hi pjh,

Goldmadness

K, understood. The other option is to find an instructor (don't know what you'll find in Denmark!) who uses the Explanar to at least get a feel for what the system does. Good luck with things.

For "9 to 3" because your plane will change beyond this...you should pay heed to Iteach's comments above about pushing the club against something solid and ingraining this feel.

Edited by Kerry_Bunker, 17 September 2009 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors