Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

persimmon wood recommendation

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jack&aaronsdad

jack&aaronsdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50959
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

I am in the mood to get an older persimmon driver to game once in a while.  I don't have it my budget to buy one of the newer Louisville models.  Was thinking of something classic, but not too impossible to hit.  I would like something I could pick up off eBay in the $20-$50 range.  Some of the ones I've seen include the Pings, Hogan, or MacGregor.  Any make and model recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 708

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:07 PM

Most Macgregors are pretty good and prices will vary depending on which model you opt for. As far as I know, Ping never made persimmon woods - rather they were laminate woods instead. Not really a classic wood. You may find some good examples of Joe Powell woods which are excellent quality. The holy grail (for me anyway) would be to get a Harry Busson special.... nice :ok: . Other woods to consider would be a Mizuno World Master or an old Slazenger or Dunlop would do the trick. Happy hunting.

#3 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Probably the all time classic persimmon wood is the MacGregor M55, as well as the MacGregor Tommy Armour 693.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#4 Buzzkill

Buzzkill

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 4,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40610
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

None - I tried one a few years ago and the distance lost it's worth it.
Titleist 913D3 7.5
Adams Super 9031 16 & 20
Miura Small Blades 3 - PW, 51 & 55
SC Square Back Select
Swift X & Ping Moonlite bags
MG Tour C4 balls
WITB Link

#5 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• 6,804 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Power bilt and Cleveland drivers from the 1980's and early 1990's are solid sticks as well, many of the pros used them before going to persimmon, can probably be had for a good price.  I have an old Powerbilt driver and 3 wood, nice clubs for the day.

Titleist 910 10.5
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange

#6 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78139
  • Ebay ID:persimmonpal
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

You can pick up a nice Ben Hogan co. driver, which usually has the old Apex 4 shaft, which many feel is one of the best (steel)wood shafts of all time. Another option, which can be had pretty cheap is a nice Cleveland Classics driver. Cleveland made some of the best persimmons of the 80s, and are pretty inexpensive.
Here are a few ebay items.. Neither of these are mine.. just passing along the info.
Here is a Hogan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14
Here is a very nice Cleveland Driver. A litle over your stated price, but a very nice club. Its the Cleveland replica of the MacGregor Tommy Armour 693, which is thought of as the best persimmon driver of all time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

#7 84425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68610
  • Ebay ID:jurren
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

In the $20-50 range you could be lucky and find a nice macgregor, but the good ones usually go for a bit more. Joe Powell an Toney Penna also made some nice woods, that can be found for < $ 50.

What you could also could do is try a persimmon 2 wood. The extra loft is probably better suited for the modern ball. Most people find it hard to get a decent flight with persimmon drivers because the head generates a lot less backspin then todays drivers. You'll probably be able to find a good MacGregor 2 wood for the money you're willing to spend as demand is a lot less for these. Here is a MacGregor TP Special 2 wood for sale on ebay now at $25. HERE

edit: added a link to the TP Special

Edited by 84425, 07 September 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#8 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

Id get anything that says Cleveland Classic on it.  Those will more likely be more playable today since they were made in the 1980s instead of the 1950s or 1960s.  Also there are a ton of models and they all have great shapes and playability to them for Persimmon.

Anyone that is interested in a new Persimmon you should really contact John Powell at Joe Powell Golf.  He can literally make you anything you want as he makes them all by hand in his shop.
11* TM SLDR 430 TP Japan Spec w/ Project X v39
12* TM SLDR Mini Driver w/ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 65
17* Titleist 913F w/ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 75
20* Adams Pro Mini Hybrid w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95
4-PW Scratch Handmade LCG Chocolate Blades w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 110
54* Scratch Handmade DOG grind w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 125
60* Scratch Armory Handmade SLT grind w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 125
Scratch by James Ingles Handmade Copper pear shaped mini mallet with hand engraving
Ari Techner
President/CEO
Scratch Golf Clubs
ari@scratchgolf.com

*****PLEASE EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PM FOR A FASTER RESPONSE*****

#9 conner229

conner229

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 761

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:06 PM

I don't know how much these things cost anymore but Wood Brothers make an awesome driver called the Texan.

#10 JIMFANTE

JIMFANTE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23006

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

[quote name='dlygrisse' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:49 AM' post='1937848']
Power bilt and Cleveland drivers from the 1980's and early 1990's are solid sticks as well, many of the pros used them before going to persimmon, can probably be had for a good price.  I have an old Powerbilt driver and 3 wood, nice clubs for the day.
[/quote

I agree. I can understand wanting to take a persimmon driver to the range, but on the course it would be a major score raiser. I see no tour players ever using persimmon woods. They are now a curiosity only.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• 6,804 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

View PostJIMFANTE, on Sep 7 2009, 10:09 PM, said:

View Postdlygrisse, on Sep 7 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

[/quote

I agree. I can understand wanting to take a persimmon driver to the range, but on the course it would be a major score raiser. I see no tour players ever using persimmon woods. They are now a curiosity only.
Yeah, but they are fun to collect and fun to hit, why not play a round with one?  I udnerstand if you were in competition, but a casual round with friends would be cool.  I took one the the course a while back and hit some really straight drives with it, to me the Powerbilt persimmon hit the ball about like a modern 3 wood, about 20 yards short of my 460cc hunk of titanium.  Worst case scenario just play one set of tees more foward than you normally play, or play a shorter course.  One of my favorite courses is an old public Tillinghast course, I always think it was designed for persimmon, not titanium.  I usually play the back tees on this course but I am not a long hitter, middle tees from this course would be a perfect persimmon course for me.  

I also have a pretty good feeling they would not be a "major score raiser"  maybe a minor score raiser, after all people shot some pretty good scores pre 1999.  If you dont beleive me just watch Johnny Miller during a telecast, he will remind you he shot a 63 at Oakmont with persimmon, blaata, and blades, that course was a beast even back then.  Don't seel your self short on being able to use them, just lower your expectations on total distance.
Titleist 910 10.5
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange

#12 Mizzie

Mizzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88972
  • Ebay ID:baronvonhalder

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

I've never hit a persimmon driver or any other wooden-head wood, but I'd like to try one sometime. I have the impression that my ball won't go more than 10 yards forward using one of these antiques. And I bet the feeling would be as dead as a rat with a belly full of Cyanide.

#13 trapsmv15

trapsmv15

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46685
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:16 AM

View PostMizzie, on Sep 7 2009, 11:09 PM, said:

I've never hit a persimmon driver or any other wooden-head wood, but I'd like to try one sometime. I have the impression that my ball won't go more than 10 yards forward using one of these antiques. And I bet the feeling would be as dead as a rat with a belly full of Cyanide.
LOL, it's definitely different. If you hit a softer, spinnier [sic] ball, it's hard not to love the feel, IMO. But yeah, today's big headed beasts are definitely better in the forgiveness and distance aspects.
Callaway rfe 9.5 (accuflex nanotech pto)
Sonartec gs tour 15 (diamana redboard)
Nike forged blades 2-PW
Nike tw 56/60 (looking for others)
Odyssey white hot tour #2cs
Callaway chrome+ yellow

#14 ABgolfer2

ABgolfer2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87340
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

You can't appreciate a 295 yd 3-wood until you've had to get everthing just right to hit a 280 yard drive with a persimmon driver. My Ram woods need a really flat swing - when the driver is struck properly, 300 yards is common - you'll know it when you feel it.

Based on what I own and have played on the course, I'd recommend almost any 70s or 80s persimmon from Powerbilt, Ram, or MacGregor. I've only hit a 5-wood from Hogan (Apex), and although the wood is beautiful in my 40s and 50s era Spaldings, the shafts aren't really matched to my swing. The insert-less fairwoods are actually nice to hit though.

In summary - Do it!!!

EDIT: PS - if you find one, and you're thinking of getting it refinished (or doing it yourself), hit it at the driving range first to make sure there are no hairline cracks - if it's cracked, you'll know.

Edited by sean_miller, 08 September 2009 - 01:03 AM.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

#15 jack&aaronsdad

jack&aaronsdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50959

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the input!  I think I will go with either a Cleveland or Power Bilt, based on the information that they were the most popular prior to the titanium era.

And yes, I know my score will show it, but for a casual round it will be fun.

#16 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• 7,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1559

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

Power Bilt and Honma or Hiro Honma are my recommendations - Honma made some great persimmon woods.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18*, GD DI-85x
TEE CB Pro-H 3i, Callaway X-Prototypes
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#17 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 762

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Try the best of both worlds and look at Louisville golf.  I want to try out some of their stuff, but it's a little expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors