Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Bent Right Elbows of Ben & Mindy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 footscrew

footscrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78070
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Mindy Blake's 'Golf: The Technique Barrier' was published in 1979. The book was considered unconventional and heretic then and anyone reading it today would probably feel the same way. Mindy, an engineer and scientist, based the book on his studies of the body mechanics of the golf swing. One of the imperatives of Mindy's Reflex Swing was the bent right elbow (BRE) at impact, a characteristic very evident in Ben Hogan's swing. BRE is commonly observed among excellent ballstrikers who, like Ben, have modern rotary-type swings. Hunter Mahan's swing comes to mind:

BRE necessitates open body and shoulders at impact, another commonly observed trait of a ballstriker who's rotating hard left. I'm not an expert on biomechanics or the golf swing for that matter. But I think BRE and open shoulders at impact go hand in hand in a biomechanically sound non-slinging, rotary swing. The Reflex Swing also called for a very open stance while Ben employed a 'diagonal stance', both of which flared the left foot towards the target. Both stances helped Ben & Mindy move/rotate through the ball aggressively and finish in balance.

Here are some photos of Mindy demonstrating the Reflex Swing:

http://s33.photobuck.....0Golf Photos/

Ben & Mindy had very different swings. Ben's was powerful yet elegant. Mindy looked like a hunchback playing tennis. But one can't help but think if the underlying biomechanics are more similar. If they are, then Ben Hogan did indeed built a swing that had it all: beautiful, powerful, accurate and efficient.

Swing it!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Dariusz J.

Dariusz J.

BiokineticGolf

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44929
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

It is a very interesting info, Footscrew. Never heard about Mindy Blake and it is a shame since his theories have a lot of wisdom. Such things as e.g. one swing type for all clubs, the hands must be used in reflex to transmit the power generated by the legs and body, the grip is exact with both hands at right angles (!), feet positioning, necessity of the forward press of the legs to initiate the backswing (trigger compression !) or the importance of the rear elbow position are totally in line with my studies. The more the guy is a true scientist.
His swing definitely reminds me of Lee Trevino. BTW, he is dead right that the rear elbow position corresponds naturally with the upper body position. That is why the more open is the main body at impact, the more the arms must be "left back", resulting in lead arm pinned across the chest and rear arm more bent in elbow and more on (or even behind - vide Furyk) the rear hip.

Great post, cheers.

P.S. Do you happen to know something more about Mindy Blake ? Did he write a book ?

#3 downtoscratch

downtoscratch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43462
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

DJ,
     Blake wrote 'The Golf Swing of the Future'.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0393083764

#4 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Now where have I seen that golf swing before?

Oh yeah...

Edited by QWKDTSN, 06 September 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#5 footscrew

footscrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Dariusz J., on Sep 6 2009, 02:39 PM, said:

It is a very interesting info, Footscrew. Never heard about Mindy Blake and it is a shame since his theories have a lot of wisdom. Such things as e.g. one swing type for all clubs, the hands must be used in reflex to transmit the power generated by the legs and body, the grip is exact with both hands at right angles (!), feet positioning, necessity of the forward press of the legs to initiate the backswing (trigger compression !) or the importance of the rear elbow position are totally in line with my studies. The more the guy is a true scientist.
His swing definitely reminds me of Lee Trevino. BTW, he is dead right that the rear elbow position corresponds naturally with the upper body position. That is why the more open is the main body at impact, the more the arms must be "left back", resulting in lead arm pinned across the chest and rear arm more bent in elbow and more on (or even behind - vide Furyk) the rear hip.

Great post, cheers.

P.S. Do you happen to know something more about Mindy Blake ? Did he write a book ?

Dariusz,

Here are some screenshots of Mindy Blake's book:

http://s33.photobuck...mview=slideshow

The pages don't seem to be in sequence but definitely worth a look. It's a fascinating read to say the least especially for someone interested in golf swing mechanics.

Edited by footscrew, 06 September 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#6 footscrew

footscrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

QWKDTSN, on Sep 6 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

Now where have I seen that golf swing before?

Oh yeah...

Nice! Gives a whole new meaning to "no release, no roll" :lol: He's definitely not a flipper!

#7 Dariusz J.

Dariusz J.

BiokineticGolf

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44929
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:56 AM

Thanks, Gents, for the info. The screenshots Footscrew gave us the link to are very worth reading by every serious student of the game.

Cheers

#8 downtoscratch

downtoscratch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43462
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:25 AM

Mindy had some unique ideas. IMO he was 180 degrees off with his resistance to the forces in the swing. No Abe Mitchell was he................. dts

#9 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 719

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

To me he looks like he is trying to mimic Trevino, not exactly but an open stance, strong grip, swinging very shallow, seems there def. has to be some LT influence.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#10 golf ball

golf ball

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67336
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

Thanks!  This is kind of where I am headed right now in my swing.  I am just thinking about how I am going to use the clubhead and how to get as much pressure into the ball as I can.  I have had good things happen by just leaving the face wide open and dragging the club to square and through the ball.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors